Spiral Wheel - Resurrection For Revenge

The Heart of the Prog/Power Movement

Moderators: TROY or maybe DEBBIE, Stevie WOnder, Digital Man

Guillaume

Spiral Wheel - Resurrection For Revenge

Postby Guillaume » Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:08 pm

It's a prog board, but I know there are some traditional old-school metal fans as well, so I thought of posting this here as well.

Spiral Wheel is a new Japanese/Canadian traditional metal band featuring singer Damian Ritual (a good buddy of mine), guitarist Satoshi Ishida, bassist Jun Tonosaki and drummer Rik Charron (who played with Exciter on 5 albums).

The album is out in Europe and Japan already, with a pending release on a North American label soon.

You can check out and buy the whole album on Bandcamp:
https://spiralwheel.bandcamp.com/releases

and a few songs on YouTube:
https://youtu.be/aUpnHxhQAt4 (my personal fave)
https://youtu.be/j5mquwZuA0I

Comments welcome. Me, I really like the album, very good traditional heavy metal, 80s style, with real nice riffing and vocals.

Guillaume

introclaus

Re: Spiral Wheel - Resurrection For Revenge

Postby introclaus » Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:06 am

Those vocals - oh boy ... that was bad!
Claus Jensen

Guillaume

Postby Guillaume » Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:24 am

introclaus wrote:Those vocals - oh boy ... that was bad!

I know we often don't hear the same thing in vocals, but how these vocals are so bad according to you??? I'm quite stunned here. Even though I know the guy....

ToddinMN

Postby ToddinMN » Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:56 am

This sounds really good to me. The second song kinda has an older Maiden feel to it. Plus, I rather like the vocals. He definitely has some power and I like that touch of grittiness.

introclaus

Postby introclaus » Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:12 pm

Guillaume wrote:

I know we often don't hear the same thing in vocals, but how these vocals are so bad according to you??? I'm quite stunned here. Even though I know the guy....

It's pitchy and just doesn't sound nice to me - kind of like how Sean Peck's voice gets on my nerves (although Sean is more gritty and rough than this). It's one of those voices that isn't particularly exciting to me, and when the music is as basic (amateurish) as this, it just has absolutely no appeal. Sorry.

Then again, I'm sure there are plenty of bands that I love where you feel the same way, so don't take it too hard :)
Claus Jensen

Guillaume

Postby Guillaume » Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:57 pm

introclaus wrote:
Guillaume wrote:

It's pitchy and just doesn't sound nice to me - kind of like how Sean Peck's voice gets on my nerves (although Sean is more gritty and rough than this). It's one of those voices that isn't particularly exciting to me, and when the music is as basic (amateurish) as this, it just has absolutely no appeal. Sorry.

Then again, I'm sure there are plenty of bands that I love where you feel the same way, so don't take it too hard :)

So, all bands playing old-style 80s traditional heavy metal are "amateurish"? Music absolutely needs to be complicated to sound "professionnal"? I know it's a prog board, but it's still surprising...

I understand these vocals has no appeal for you. I'm cool with that and you explain it fine here. But what you wrote in the 1st message make them sound like some of worst vocals ever and it's just not right IMO.

introclaus

Postby introclaus » Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:44 pm

Guillaume wrote:So, all bands playing old-style 80s traditional heavy metal are "amateurish"? Music absolutely needs to be complicated to sound "professionnal"? I know it's a prog board, but it's still surprising...

How did you make that conclusion?
I LOVE old school 80's trad metal and have plenty of those style bands on my top 50 2018 list as you'll see when I get around to post it.

This one however ...

Guillaume wrote:I understand these vocals has no appeal for you. I'm cool with that and you explain it fine here. But what you wrote in the 1st message make them sound like some of worst vocals ever and it's just not right IMO.

Yeah, I can come off a bit grumpy sometimes LOL
Claus Jensen

Guillaume

Postby Guillaume » Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:40 pm

ToddinMN wrote:This sounds really good to me. The second song kinda has an older Maiden feel to it. Plus, I rather like the vocals. He definitely has some power and I like that touch of grittiness.

Nice to know at least one other guy here thinks like me!

introclaus

Postby introclaus » Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:51 pm

Guillaume wrote:
ToddinMN wrote:This sounds really good to me. The second song kinda has an older Maiden feel to it. Plus, I rather like the vocals. He definitely has some power and I like that touch of grittiness.

Lol yeah looks like you ain’t having much luck with it on the other board either ;)
Claus Jensen

Guillaume

Postby Guillaume » Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:49 pm

introclaus wrote:
Guillaume wrote:

Lol yeah looks like you ain’t having much luck with it on the other board either ;)

Tough crowd for new bands playing old-school metal in 2018... But you and Niall are really picky and grumpy, so it's not that bothering! :twisted:

introclaus

Postby introclaus » Thu Dec 20, 2018 5:37 am

Guillaume wrote:
introclaus wrote:
Guillaume wrote:Nice to know at least one other guy here thinks like me!

Tough crowd for new bands playing old-school metal in 2018... But you and Niall are really picky and grumpy, so it's not that bothering! :twisted:

I’m being grumpy in a loving way though ;)

I see Graham and Pirage are in agreement with me though ... not only Niall (who I honestly think have lost his marbles years ago so his opinion doesn’t matter).
Claus Jensen

Guillaume

Postby Guillaume » Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:42 am

introclaus wrote:
Guillaume wrote:
introclaus wrote:

I’m being grumpy in a loving way though ;)

I see Graham and Pirage are in agreement with me though ... not only Niall (who I honestly think have lost his marbles years ago so his opinion doesn’t matter).

As Niall doesn't count, your team leads 3-2! Wait, no! Now, it's 3-3! :mrgreen:

Seriously, I won't lose any sleep over this. I enjoy the disc, I know others who do too. Maybe we're all tone-deaf, I'll live with it...
For those who don't, well, too bad.

Return to “PM: Core”