New Candlemass tune ...

The Heart of the Prog/Power Movement

Moderators: TROY or maybe DEBBIE, Stevie WOnder, Digital Man

introclaus

New Candlemass tune ...

Postby introclaus » Sat Dec 15, 2018 1:45 pm

The big deal here is obviously that the original singer, Johan langquist, is back with the band ... well, sure, that’s always something lol - but his voice is not what got me into the band originally (~30 years ago). Back then, as now, it has always been about Leif Edling’s amazing doomy tunes. What I find interesting about the new tune is how it much it reminds me of Leif’s short lived side project Abstrakt Algebra from the mid 90’s. The song writing has the same dark and semi prog approach as the songs on that one album back then yet still have the Candlemass doom sense. I’m digging this a lot - definitely better than anything I’ve heard from Candlemass since 2005’s selftitled album...

https://youtu.be/ySBf7t_WmOA
Claus Jensen

Nos

Re: New Candlemass tune ...

Postby Nos » Sat Dec 15, 2018 2:27 pm

It sounds to me like Leif has been listening to a lot of those doomy, occult-ish 70s style rock bands out there. It doesn't sound like Candlemass, as they have been for the last twenty years.

introclaus

Postby introclaus » Sat Dec 15, 2018 2:46 pm

Nos wrote:It sounds to me like Leif has been listening to a lot of those doomy, occult-ish 70s style rock bands out there. It doesn't sound like Candlemass, as they have been for the last twenty years.

The last 20 years of Candlemass wasn’t as good as the first 15, so ... ;)

Well, I don’t necessarily think it’s in the vein of Ghost, Year of the Goat or any of those bands ... more that the Venn circles are finally overlapping a bit. Remember, Candlemass was first and foremost a Black Sabbath inspired band when they started out and I think some of that is showing through now again with Johan’s vocal style. Those “occult bands” have that background as well (not to mention they all were inspired by Candlemasss as well) so it’s logic if there’s some overlap or similarities if you will.

Again, I personally hear a lot more of the songwriting Leif utilized on the Abstrakt Algebra album and perhaps a bit like the first Krux disc as well.
Claus Jensen

Hearing Aid Man

Postby Hearing Aid Man » Sat Dec 15, 2018 6:11 pm

Big fan of Epicus ... back in the day.

I like this new tune!

Return to “PM: Core”