Soen - Lotus

The Heart of the Prog/Power Movement

Moderators: Mardoch, Digital Man

Nos

Soen - Lotus

Post by Nos » Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:39 am

Ok, so this isn't the typical style of prog metal we talk about here, but I'm wondering if anyone else is excited for the new record, due Feb 1. There's two songs out already:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_z7lB1N-tE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sh92nGMaEVg

I got my advance earlier than I expected, so I can say that if you like those tracks, "Martyrs" especially, the new record is amazing. They took what was awesome about "Lykaia", and added more nuance, more lead playing, and a lot more melody. They're really nailed being dark yet beautiful, and continue to lay waste to Opeth, considering they sound to me like what that band was supposed to be when they ditched death metal.

Anyone have thoughts?

ToddS
Site Admin

Re: Soen - Lotus

Post by ToddS » Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:58 am

I went back to Lukaia before seeing them at progpower, and that record really grew on me. They were fantastic live as well. New guitarist has a great feel, some Gilmore in his playing. Loved their live set!

What you are saying they added is just what they needed more of imo. Their more ambiant moments, with those sweet guitar solos really hit the spot.

Looking forward to Lotus. Will check the links.
Thanks
"My songs become my freedom, and my freedom turns to gold"

elendil

Post by elendil » Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:01 pm

I'm really looking forward to this one. _Lykaia_ was great.

Packgrog

Post by Packgrog » Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:04 pm

Lykaia was the best of the 3 so far, IMO. And yes, they sound better to me than what Opeth became after Lopez left.

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:14 pm

“Martyrs” is an incredible tune - and the video is awesome - can’t wait for this album!!!!
Claus Jensen

Nos

Post by Nos » Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:49 pm

Whoa, other people seem to like something I do. What the heck's going on around here!?

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Sat Dec 15, 2018 6:24 am

Nos wrote:Whoa, other people seem to like something I do. What the heck's going on around here!?
Awww that’s cute ....

Well, don’t flatter yourself buddy, you’re not that special ;) there’s been plenty of talks about SOEN on this board (do a quick search).

I think you’re much more in line with people here than you want to believe yourself ... this isn’t a “we only listen to heavy metal” kind of forum - most of us are old assholes who’ve already been through our wild days and are now content with listening to good music in any kind of shape or form. You always make a point out of saying how much you dislike metal but that kind of stance is more in line with the Beavis and Butthead kind of “Im a true metal head” attitude than a true open minded one, so you’re actually painting yourself into the exact same corner you’re claiming to dislike by saying so. Dude, it’s music - I don’t care if you like Justin Bieber more than say Dream Theater, it if your collection of music consists only of Iron Maiden albums - neither is gonna make you cooler or less cool in my opinion - this is a place where you can and should be able to talk about which ever album you’re digging these days and stop worrying about whether the rest of us for once agree with you or not.
Claus Jensen

Nos

Post by Nos » Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:38 am

introclaus wrote: You always make a point out of saying how much you dislike metal but that kind of stance is more in line with the Beavis and Butthead kind of “Im a true metal head” attitude than a true open minded one, so you’re actually painting yourself into the exact same corner you’re claiming to dislike by saying so.
What I say is I dislike how metal has been changing. I'm not that old, but I'm old enough that bands like Meshuggah and Gojira would have been considered extreme metal when I started out, and they would have existed solely on the fringes. Now, they are as mainstream as anything in metal, and the overriding feeling is that someone has to love harsh vocals and eight string guitars to say they like metal. Those of us around here who mostly listen to power and prog (of the old kind) don't really like 'metal', as the seeping boundaries of what it consists of continue to spread.

So it's not that I don't like metal, it's that I like a small enough slice of the whole pie these days that I don't feel comfortable using a term like 'metalhead'. There are too many times it wouldn't apply.

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:40 pm

Nos wrote:
introclaus wrote: You always make a point out of saying how much you dislike metal but that kind of stance is more in line with the Beavis and Butthead kind of “Im a true metal head” attitude than a true open minded one, so you’re actually painting yourself into the exact same corner you’re claiming to dislike by saying so.
What I say is I dislike how metal has been changing. I'm not that old, but I'm old enough that bands like Meshuggah and Gojira would have been considered extreme metal when I started out, and they would have existed solely on the fringes. Now, they are as mainstream as anything in metal, and the overriding feeling is that someone has to love harsh vocals and eight string guitars to say they like metal. Those of us around here who mostly listen to power and prog (of the old kind) don't really like 'metal', as the seeping boundaries of what it consists of continue to spread.

So it's not that I don't like metal, it's that I like a small enough slice of the whole pie these days that I don't feel comfortable using a term like 'metalhead'. There are too many times it wouldn't apply.
The only reason you don’t feel comfortable with the term metalhead is because of what it means to other people (or what you think it means to them). You shouldn’t be so concerned with what other people think - be proud of who you are and what you do with your life - that includes what music you listen to. If people think less of me because of what I listen to in my private life then that’s their loss - do I call myself a metalhead? Sure, but I’m also a folk fan, a pop fan etc. Its not the term that defines me, but I’m not afraid to use it either.

If you got a bit more self confidence and were proud of yourself, you would stop always being so defensive about the music you listen to. It’s always the same with you: “I’m sure no one here will like this because I like it” ... always in defense mode even before anyone comments on it. It’s a shame because you’re losing out on some good conversations. I think if you stopped being defensive you’d realize how much you have in common with most of us here.
Claus Jensen

Nos

Post by Nos » Sat Dec 15, 2018 1:20 pm

introclaus wrote: The only reason you don’t feel comfortable with the term metalhead is because of what it means to other people (or what you think it means to them). You shouldn’t be so concerned with what other people think - be proud of who you are and what you do with your life - that includes what music you listen to. .
That's not how I take it. I don't use the word because 1) I listen to more rock than metal, but mostly because 2) I don't like calling myself a 'metalhead' when I only like a small amount of what constitutes metal. Given how much death, black, thrash, etc. is out there under the metal umbrella, I don't find the term accurate for what my actual taste and listening is. It's the same way that if I like two or three songs from an artist, I wouldn't call myself a 'fan' of theirs. I need more than that to overcome the semantics.

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Sat Dec 15, 2018 1:24 pm

Nos wrote:
introclaus wrote: The only reason you don’t feel comfortable with the term metalhead is because of what it means to other people (or what you think it means to them). You shouldn’t be so concerned with what other people think - be proud of who you are and what you do with your life - that includes what music you listen to. .
That's not how I take it. I don't use the word because 1) I listen to more rock than metal, but mostly because 2) I don't like calling myself a 'metalhead' when I only like a small amount of what constitutes metal. Given how much death, black, thrash, etc. is out there under the metal umbrella, I don't find the term accurate for what my actual taste and listening is. It's the same way that if I like two or three songs from an artist, I wouldn't call myself a 'fan' of theirs. I need more than that to overcome the semantics.
Yet you always go out of your way to make sure we know how different you are and how much you don’t identify yourself with the metal scene to the point where it has the adverse effect. Get off your high horse and begin just enjoy talking to other people about what you like to listen to without being so damn defensive.
Claus Jensen

Nos

Post by Nos » Sat Dec 15, 2018 2:28 pm

introclaus wrote: Yet you always go out of your way to make sure we know how different you are and how much you don’t identify yourself with the metal scene to the point where it has the adverse effect.
It's a way of saying 'don't feel bad saying you think it sucks'.

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Sat Dec 15, 2018 2:49 pm

Nos wrote:
introclaus wrote: Yet you always go out of your way to make sure we know how different you are and how much you don’t identify yourself with the metal scene to the point where it has the adverse effect.
It's a way of saying 'don't feel bad saying you think it sucks'.
But we don’t think that the stuff you listen to sucks - most of the time I think we like the same (except I love TEN and you don’t haha) - and i would love to have more open discussions with you about current releases rather than you shutting down once you’ve said your part.
Claus Jensen

Nos

Post by Nos » Sat Dec 15, 2018 4:11 pm

introclaus wrote: i would love to have more open discussions with you about current releases rather than you shutting down once you’ve said your part.
If you would like to, there's a thread down the page where my thoughts on twenty records this year are presented. That can be a start.

pfillion

Post by pfillion » Sun Dec 23, 2018 9:14 am

Nos

Post by Nos » Sun Dec 23, 2018 10:45 am

pfillion wrote:First review of the new album

https://www.angrymetalguy.com/soen-riva ... us-review/
I read that a while ago, and he's not wrong. It's an amazing record. My own review is written, and will be up within a week or two, depending on how I feel about posting during the holiday season.

Packgrog

Post by Packgrog » Sun Dec 30, 2018 12:15 pm

Ooo! I like the first tracks. And it looks like the vinyl version will be worthwhile. *starts saving pennies*

Nos

Post by Nos » Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:07 am

The title track, one of the softer ones, just got released: https://youtu.be/qLSh0E0Rikc

I've been listening to this album for a month now, and it's still stunning. I can't say enough good things about it.

pfillion

Post by pfillion » Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:13 pm

Wow great song! Very Pink Floydish.

pfillion

Post by pfillion » Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:05 pm

pfillion

Post by pfillion » Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:09 am

The new album is really good.

https://soen-sweden.bandcamp.com/album/lotus

Nos

Post by Nos » Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:59 am

pfillion wrote:The new album is really good.

https://soen-sweden.bandcamp.com/album/lotus
Yes it is. I love "Lykaia" enough I didn't think it could happen, but they might have just made an even better record.

pfillion

Post by pfillion » Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:27 am

River is probably my favourite song so far.

https://youtu.be/SOpy0-tNe50

Nos

Post by Nos » Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:47 am

pfillion wrote:River is probably my favourite song so far.
I'd go with "Covenant", myself.

Random Axe

Post by Random Axe » Fri Mar 08, 2019 2:42 pm

I bought this on a few recommendations and while it's pretty good, I can't help but feel like pretty much ANYONE could be the singer of this band. It's all so non-descript and monotone and without soul, feel or character. Maybe that's the whole point of their sound and I'm completely in the wrong. He's good for the seven notes he is able to hit and it's catchy. I'll keep playing this and maybe it it'll click with me.

Nos

Post by Nos » Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:06 pm

Random Axe wrote:I bought this on a few recommendations and while it's pretty good, I can't help but feel like pretty much ANYONE could be the singer of this band. It's all so non-descript and monotone and without soul, feel or character. Maybe that's the whole point of their sound and I'm completely in the wrong. He's good for the seven notes he is able to hit and it's catchy. I'll keep playing this and maybe it it'll click with me.
He's more dynamic than ever on this album. He doesn't scream or hit high notes, but that wouldn't fit the band. A whole lot of great singers (I'm not saying he's great - he's just good) have a rather limited scope of things they do. I've always found, for example, Khan to be flat and boring.

Random Axe

Post by Random Axe » Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:16 pm

That's cool, NOS. No accounting for differences in taste.

See, I have Khan in my top five singers alltime simply from his phrasing, delivery and character in his voice. And I heartily agree there are phenomenal singers with a super limited range, but the ones that stand out can emote and have some passion behind the notes. I vaguely remember checking out the Soen debut and thinking the same back then as I do now. I'll blast this on my way home from work tonight and remove the new QR disc from the player. No huge loss there...

Nos

Post by Nos » Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:32 pm

Random Axe wrote: I vaguely remember checking out the Soen debut and thinking the same back then as I do now
Play a track from the debut, and the new one. I think his improvement will be pretty evident.

Yeah, we all hear things differently. Like how some people think John Arch is a good singer :P

Random Axe

Post by Random Axe » Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:42 pm

Nos wrote:Like how some people think John Arch is a good singer :P
[/quote]

While I agree the talent is there, his voice, at least for me, is like rubbing a chalkboard with another chalkboard.

I'll go back and check into older Soen this weekend.

LarryD
Site Admin

Post by LarryD » Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:32 pm

I played the new track just to see for myself what Random Axe is talking about ..... and I do agree that the monotone style grates on me a bit as well ...... I should love this band, and I will keep at it because the music is right up my alley....... while he is not as monotone as the guy from Katatonia, this guy is nowhere that style..... I'll keep at it......

Someone told me on the phone the other day that this was disc of the year for him ....... that alone makes me want to check this out more ......

Nos

Post by Nos » Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:10 pm

LarryD wrote: Someone told me on the phone the other day that this was disc of the year for him ....... that alone makes me want to check this out more ......
I won't be on the phone, but I'll second him.

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:22 am

LarryD wrote:Someone told me on the phone the other day that this was disc of the year for him ....... that alone makes me want to check this out more ......
I’m also pretty certain that that someone told you there’s a good chance that it’ll change once the new Leprous and especially the new Port Noir gets released.
Claus Jensen

Packgrog

Post by Packgrog » Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:06 am

While the singing is largely low-key, I don't agree that it's monotone. I found the vocals in The Quiet Room more monotonous than these. The vocals here do fit the intended mood of the music. The Katatonia comparison is valid, though.

I'm honestly loving the hell out of this album. It fills the gap left for me when Opeth, Katatonia, and Riverside lost my interest.

Nos

Post by Nos » Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:25 am

Packgrog wrote:While the singing is largely low-key, I don't agree that it's monotone.
I think the better word is melancholy. Joel shows more diversity and passion in his vocals here than ever before, but they are still more somber than most singers. In that respect, he's absolutely like Jonas from Katatonia.

If I listened to any of them, I would want to start attaching monotone to some of the singers who think their high range is their only range.

Man Of Much Metal

Post by Man Of Much Metal » Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:30 pm

Better late than never, I have finally managed to arrange my thoughts on this record (despite having it in my collection for several months) - spoiler alert, I really like it!! https://manofmuchmetal.com/2019/12/02/s ... um-review/
Matt
The Man of Much Metal
The Blog Of Much Metal: https://manofmuchmetal.com/