Hearing Aid Man

Re: Hollow - Between Eternities Of Darkness

Postby Hearing Aid Man » Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:57 pm

Short enough. Pretty good though.

Feb 8th release in cd format. :D

introclaus

Re: Hollow - Between Eternities Of Darkness

Postby introclaus » Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:07 pm

The album was apparently released this morning as my pre-order on iTunes was already downloaded when I woke up. I’ve spent all day with the album and I’m really liking it. It still sounds like Hollow - no denying that!

Andreas’ voice is just as good as back in the day. It’s perhaps not the most incredible album of the year production wise (sounds a little bit “cheap”) but the song writing and of course the vocals is top notch melodic prog/power right out of the Lethal meets QRyche meets Fates Warning meets Sacred Warrior school.

I do have a few things that bothers me with this disc which keeps me from going crazy about it (at least for now);

1 - production as mentioned
2 - album is a concept album which isn’t bad in itself but it really is done a bit too literal and thereby becomes sappy and overly cheesy ... guess it’s a Swedish thing (see Seventh Wonder for a similar problem)
3 - all music is written and performed by Andreas (except drums) and it shows ... it doesn’t feel like a band but more like a solo project and that’s a shame ... I would think with more input from other people somewhere along the line from song writing to final disc would have made the album a bit more diverse

I’ve only had a day with the disc but I’m feeling like reuniting with an old friend and it’s a good feeling - minor flaws aside, this is a solid comeback and I actually like it better than the two Binary Creed discs.
Claus Jensen

Return to “PM: Core”