My 2018 top 10 list...

The Heart of the Prog/Power Movement

Moderators: TROY or maybe DEBBIE, Stevie WOnder, Digital Man

Hearing Aid Man

My 2018 top 10 list...

Postby Hearing Aid Man » Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:37 pm

Since I have time today and I think I'm ready to rank this year's stuff here's my breakdown...

Please feel free to comment and tell me right on or you're crazy or give suggestions. It will be fun to read and compare over the next month or so.

First the disappointments: (I would've expected all of these to be top 10 easily in a typical year before hearing them)

Angra - Omni, These guys seem to always make quality stuff and make my top 10. For some reason this one didn't click much at all?
Ghost Ship Octavius - Delirium, First release absolutely still blows me away from beginning to end. This one seems totally forgettable for the most part?
Heir Apparent - The View From Below, Probably placed too high of expectations on this one with One Small Voice being one of my all time favorites. Normally HA singers are a strong point. The current vocalist is kinda like a poor man's I Parry IMO and the majority of the songs are slow go nowhere?
Kamelot - The Shadow Theory, I can't believe this one didn't crack my top 10? Absolutely loved the previous two. Other than a few tracks - it hasn't clicked.
Subsignal - I was late to the party on this band, but I went crazy on all their stuff and picked everything by them over the last year. Can't even make it though this one. I don't get it?

Honorable mention: 11. Ostura - The Room, I haven't played this one as much as others on the list, but I think it belongs. This is some impressive stuff! Great riffs & melody hooks galore.

10. Redemption - A Long Night's Journey into Day, These guys have all the components of Prog I like, but they haven't clicked with me on any release all the way yet. Solid as always though.

9. Dynazty - Firesign, These guys always end up on my list & usually higher than I expect. This one didn't hit me quite as much as the previous two. Definitely another solid release though. Really like the vocalist.

8. Hekz - Invicta, Another band with all the components of prog I like. Singer improving with every album.

7. Judas Priest - Firepower, This is the surprise on my list. Never in a million years thought I would enjoy a JP release this much again. I've played it to death. Hence, it's high ranking. :shock:

6. Dreyelands - Stages, Loved their debut and this ep wasn't a let down at all IMO.

5. Haken - Vector, This is blew me away out of the gate. Ended up liking most of Affinity, but much prefer the new one.

4. Between the Buried and Me - Automata II, These guys are proggy as hell and even with some growlies shouldn't be ignored. Killer stuff!

3. Between the Buried and Me - Automata 1, First CD this year to come out and kick my a**. Decided to rank I & II separately. Both are outstanding IMO.

2. Tomorrow's Eve - Mirror of Creation III, Second CD I went crazy over this year. I was late to the party on Mirror 2 & Tales and this one lives up to the greatness of those IMO.

1. Seventh Wonder - Tiara, It's funny when you place such high expectations on a release and then it lives up to them. Anyone disappointed needs to play it more. This rules!
Last edited by Hearing Aid Man on Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

introclaus

Re: My 2018 top 10 list...

Postby introclaus » Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:47 pm

Well ... you’re crazy!

:)

Meh - in all fairness, there’s some good stuff on your list for sure, and if it wasn’t for the fact that the idiocracy (is that a word?) of releasing a perfectly fine full length album as two separate mini albums made me hate the BtBaM I’m sure that one would have made my top 10 (now I didn’t even listen to it).
Claus Jensen

Harvester

Postby Harvester » Sat Nov 24, 2018 8:20 pm

Hearing Aid Man wrote:Subsignal - I was late to the party on this band, but I went crazy on all their stuff and picked everything by them over the last year. Can't even make it though this one. I don't get it?!

When you grab all you can from a band in a relatively short span, you have latched on to a specific style or sound you love from them. You want more of that. The same would be true for me if I had never heard Yes and grabbed Close to the Edge, Tales from the TO, & Big Generator at the same time. I'd toss Big Generator to the side. However, I really like that album now that I had time to digest the classic era first.

Hearing Aid Man wrote: Anyone disappointed needs to play it more.

Hello, kettle? This is pot. You're black. :D

Harvester

Postby Harvester » Sat Nov 24, 2018 8:21 pm

introclaus wrote: and if it wasn’t for the fact that the idiocracy (is that a word?) of releasing a perfectly fine full length album as two separate mini albums made me hate the BtBaM I’m sure that one would have made my top 10 (now I didn’t even listen to it).

introclaus

Postby introclaus » Sat Nov 24, 2018 8:35 pm

Harvester wrote:
introclaus wrote: and if it wasn’t for the fact that the idiocracy (is that a word?) of releasing a perfectly fine full length album as two separate mini albums made me hate the BtBaM I’m sure that one would have made my top 10 (now I didn’t even listen to it).

I appreciate the joke but to be honest I don’t like wasting my money on something that has no other idea behind it than their record label trying a new method for making sine quick cash. This is almost (!) as stupid as when A7X thought they were big enough to be able to pull a surprise release...
Claus Jensen

gazinwales

Postby gazinwales » Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:44 am

1. Amorphis - Queen Of Time
Their most prog album to date, add in the choirs, orchestra, sax adds up to one of their best.

2. Chaostar - The Undivided Light
My fave non metal album of 2018, side project from Septicflesh man Christos Antoniou.
This is classical and modern opera at it's best.

3. Dimmu Borgir - Eonian
After 8 years DB are back and yes it does sound like Nightwish in places, but kudos to them for comeback of the year.

4. Kalmah - Palo
One hell of an underrated melodic death metal band from Finland.
Always deliver strong albums and this one is no exception.

5. Leaves' Eyes - Sign Of the Dragonhead
As much as I wanted to hate this, for the way Liv was ousted from the band, this is actually quite a strong album.
The new singer is good and fits is well, but she of course if no LK.

6. Luca Turilli - King Of The Nordic Twilight/Demonheart/Prophet Of the Last Eclipse
SHM-CD Japan re-issues in cardboard sleeve, love these 3 releases from LT, epic and cheesy, just how I love my power metal.

7. Bloodbath - The Arrow Of Satan Is Drawn
Old school death metal that is crushing, Nick Holmes growls sounding very menacing.

8. Arena - Double Vision
Another great release from another band who are very consistent.

9. Lunatic Soul - Under the Fragmented Sky
Never got into LS until the 'Fractured' and this 'leftovers' album is just as good.

10. Conception - The Dark Symphony
Back after 21 years and this sounds like they have never been away and 'flows' nicely in every respect.

elendil

Postby elendil » Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:50 am

Wow... I'm not ready to rank yet, but Subsignal is going to end up very high in my rankings despite the fact that I am more of tech/math/avant guy than a radio-friendly melodic prog guy. Just really appealing songs.

Nos

Postby Nos » Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:25 am

I think I've got my order set. For now, I'll just say that like most years, my choices won't be popular over here.

Tom C

Postby Tom C » Sun Nov 25, 2018 3:06 pm

Harvester wrote:
Hearing Aid Man wrote:Subsignal - I was late to the party on this band, but I went crazy on all their stuff and picked everything by them over the last year. Can't even make it though this one. I don't get it?!

When you grab all you can from a band in a relatively short span, you have latched on to a specific style or sound you love from them. You want more of that. The same would be true for me if I had never heard Yes and grabbed Close to the Edge, Tales from the TO, & Big Generator at the same time. I'd toss Big Generator to the side. However, I really like that album now that I had time to digest the classic era first.

I have to agree with hearing aid man on this one. Subsignal's departure from the sound they had been cultivating on the last several releases is jarring to say the least. I suppose it depends on what connected you with the band in question in the first place, but for me, all of that is absent on the new album. The prog has been replaced with near boy band level top 40 elements. I could forgive their insistence on refusing to go full metal with previous releases because the music and the melodies still represented enough prog to hold my attention. This fails for me on all levels. Repeated listens won't help in my case, because everything I loved about the band is gone, and it's been replaced with stuff I don't enjoy from ANY band.

Tom C

Postby Tom C » Sun Nov 25, 2018 3:13 pm

Solid list. I haven't looked at what the numbers say yet, but if I decide to do so, I am guessing our lists will look very similar. I'm not sure where Judas priest, Kamelot or Redemption would fall, but considering the releases I liked at all this year, one of them would likely hit the top 10 by default alone, LOL.

LarryD
Site Admin

Postby LarryD » Sun Nov 25, 2018 5:22 pm

Thanks for starting the thread -- I'm putting together my Top 10 now, but I needed someone to get it started -- I don't have my CDs handy to refer to, so I need a reference point to get going ......

I am surprised at our list differences this year -- you and I are usually in the ball park, and / or neck in neck ........ I think we have maybe 2-3 bands in common, Tomorrow's Eve being one of them ......

introclaus

Postby introclaus » Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:20 pm

Tom C wrote:
Harvester wrote:

I have to agree with hearing aid man on this one. Subsignal's departure from the sound they had been cultivating on the last several releases is jarring to say the least. I suppose it depends on what connected you with the band in question in the first place, but for me, all of that is absent on the new album. The prog has been replaced with near boy band level top 40 elements. I could forgive their insistence on refusing to go full metal with previous releases because the music and the melodies still represented enough prog to hold my attention. This fails for me on all levels. Repeated listens won't help in my case, because everything I loved about the band is gone, and it's been replaced with stuff I don't enjoy from ANY band.

That’s exactly how I feel about this album. I love the band and all their other releases but this one leaves me completely empty. This is not the direction I had expected them to go in.
Claus Jensen

Hearing Aid Man

Postby Hearing Aid Man » Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:00 am

I am surprised at our list differences this year. I think we have maybe 2-3 bands in common, Tomorrow's Eve being one of them ......

I would guess you would have Ostura, Hekz and possibly Redemption in your top 10? Also, Michael Romeo which would probably be next on my list if I had done twelve. Not sure how much you like the newest Subsignal? Seventh Wonder is one that should be there for you but will it show up? :P It is so good once you digest it.

LarryD
Site Admin

Postby LarryD » Mon Nov 26, 2018 7:29 am

Hearing Aid Man wrote:
I am surprised at our list differences this year. I think we have maybe 2-3 bands in common, Tomorrow's Eve being one of them ......

I would guess you would have Ostura, Hekz and possibly Redemption in your top 10? Also, Michael Romeo which would probably be next on my list if I had done twelve. Not sure how much you like the newest Subsignal? Seventh Wonder is one that should be there for you but will it show up? :P It is so good once you digest it.

*** Mostly all of the above ......yes. I've got to dig out some of these discs as they are packed away for the move, but I need to hear some of them to make the list up....
I lost the Hekz disc in the packing process - so by default, that may not make it to the list ....... Michael Romeo will end up in the Top 3, if not the #1 ...... The Seventh Wonder is an enigma for me - I don't want to get used to it - I want to love it instantly, and while I like it a lot, it doesn't blow me away like other discs..... I will keep at it for sure, in the hopes that it moves up the list more. Ostura yes, T-Eve yes, Redemption yes - you know my list by heart ......... :wink:

Chris R

Postby Chris R » Mon Nov 26, 2018 7:08 pm

Definitely some overlap with ne with that list for sure

Like everyone else it seems Firepower might have been the biggest surprise in the past 15 years,I doubt anyone saw Judas Priest making an album like this ever again
Tarja is a female woman

Norén

Postby Norén » Tue Nov 27, 2018 3:30 pm

Right now:

1 - VOLA - Applaus of a distant crowd
2 - The pineapple thief - Dissolution
3 - Tesseract - Sonder
4 - Life in Digital - 2951 seconds of sound
5 - Time, the valuator - How fleeting, how fragile
6 - Riverside - Wasteland
7 - Arena - Double Vision
8 - Amorphis - Queen of time
9 - Alan Simon - Big Bang

..and Voices from the Fuselage - Odyssey: The founder of dreams will probably be somewhere on the list too. Need to give it more time.
CD ARTWORK -> www.progart.com

Man Of Much Metal

Postby Man Of Much Metal » Tue Nov 27, 2018 4:13 pm

Be afraid, be very afraid...my top 30 countdown series begins very soon... :D
Matt
The Man of Much Metal
The Blog Of Much Metal: https://manofmuchmetal.com/

LarryD
Site Admin

Postby LarryD » Tue Nov 27, 2018 4:40 pm

Man Of Much Metal wrote:Be afraid, be very afraid...my top 30 countdown series begins very soon... :D

:)

LarryD
Site Admin

Postby LarryD » Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:18 am

I have not yet completed the actual list yet -- but these are my bands on the list ....... there are 11, one must go..... these are not in order, but I will say that Michael Romeo, Ostura, and Kingcrow are all fighting for the #1 spot - there is also another band I have not heard yet that I'm waiting to check out .......not listed here yet:

In no order as of yet --

Michael Romeo
Ostura
Kingcrow
Tomorrow's Eve
Arena
Subsignal
Redemption
Mystery
Manimal
Seventh Wonder
Hekz
....and an unnamed band yet.

Hearing Aid Man

Postby Hearing Aid Man » Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:19 am

I am surprised at our list differences this year -- you and I are usually in the ball park, and / or neck in neck ........ I think we have maybe 2-3 bands in common, Tomorrow's Eve being one of them ......

I noticed 6 out of 11 on your list we have in common. That's about what happens every year. It must be your order that is messed up making you feel we were so different this year. :P

LarryD
Site Admin

Postby LarryD » Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:19 am

Hearing Aid Man wrote:

I noticed 6 out of 11 on your list we have in common. That's about what happens every year. It must be your order that is messed up making you feel we were so different this year. :P

*** That and my state of mind lately ........ :wink:

Hearing Aid Man

Postby Hearing Aid Man » Mon Dec 24, 2018 7:02 pm

I haven't looked at what the numbers say yet, but if I decide to do so, I am guessing our lists will look very similar.

Hope you'll post a list with a few thoughts? 8)

ToddS
Site Admin

Postby ToddS » Tue Dec 25, 2018 7:20 pm

Cool list. We have several in common. I counted BtBaM as 1 record. :D
I need to take another listen to the first Ghost Ship. I’m seeing a lot people like that one better.
"My songs become my freedom, and my freedom turns to gold"

Return to “PM: Core”