I Did not officially say yet what is my favorite album of the 70s...

The Heart of the Prog/Power Movement

Moderators: TROY or maybe DEBBIE, Stevie WOnder, Digital Man

GaetanL

I Did not officially say yet what is my favorite album of the 70s...

Postby GaetanL » Thu Nov 22, 2018 7:37 pm

Albums of the 70s I have:
All Black Sabbath albums
All Deep Purple albums
Led Zeppelin IV
All Scorpions albums
All Styx albums
Pink Floyd: Dark Side Of The Moon / The Wall
All Rush albums
All Judas Priest albums
All Journey albums
Rainbow: Ritchie Blackmore's Rainbow / Rising / Long Live Rock 'N' Roll
All Boston albums
All Triumph albums
Heart: Little Queen / Dog & Butterfly
Meat Loaf - Bat Out Of Hell
All Saga albums
All Van Halen albums
Accept - Accept
Saxon - Saxon

My favorite album of the:
80s: Queensrÿche - Operation: Mindcrime
90s: Dream Theater - Images & Words
00s: Redemption - The Fullness Of Time
10s: Wolverine - Communication Lost

From the albums of the 70s I have, the candidates:
Black Sabbath - Black Sabbath
Rainbow - Rising
Rush - 2112
Judas Priest - Stained Class
Van Halen - Van Halen
Pink Floyd - The Wall
Scorpions - Lovedrive

I don't know much the 70s. I was too young in this period. So maybe my favorite album of the 70s is an album I have not heard yet? The one in the candidates list I currently consider the most is Judas Priest - Stained Class. But like I said, this is not official yet... The band Judas Priest recently played live for the first time the song "Saints In Hell" from this album, 40 years after its release! Great song from a classic album!
Last edited by GaetanL on Fri Nov 23, 2018 11:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Gaétan
Musique Progressive Dynamique
Site consacré au métal progressif, au néo-prog et au hard rock
http://www.musiqueprog.net

elendil

Re: I Did not officially say yet what is my favorite album of the 70s...

Postby elendil » Fri Nov 23, 2018 8:16 pm

Cool thread. Out of the albums you have, my favorite would probably be Rush, _2112_, but some kind of honorable mention has to go to Deep Purple's _Machine Head_, which I have never purchased simply because all the best tracks, which make up about half the album, have been in heavy enough radio rotation my whole life to suit my listening demands.

But of the albums you *don't* have, well, there are quite a few you should check out, at least if you like the more adventurous but sometimes lighter side of prog...

Emerson, Lake, & Palmer - _Brain Salad Surgery_ (want to hear where Jordan Rudess got his keyboard style?)
Genesis - _Foxtrot_ (their best IMO - the epic "Supper's Ready" is an absolute listen-or-die for any prog fan https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supper's_Ready)
Kansas - _Point of Know Return_ (late 70s US prog rock with a lot of melody & catchiness)
King Crimson - _Larks' Tongues in Aspic_ (genius tech-prog with inventive percussion)
King Crimson - _Red_ (their heaviest and maybe best album, just a bit more punch and this would be the first-ever progressive metal album)
Van der Graaf Generator - _Pawn Hearts_ (not an immediate listen, but definitely worthy avant-garde prog with Robert Fripp on guest guitar)
Yes - _Fragile_ (any comment needed?)

GaetanL

Postby GaetanL » Fri Nov 23, 2018 10:32 pm

I did try on Youtube Genesis - Foxtrot a couple of years ago... Also a classic Yes album, not the one you mention but I think it was "Close to the edge"... I'm having a hard time getting into old school progressive rock in general. But there are exceptions. For a long time the only progressive style that was interesting to me was almost only progressive metal. In 2015, I discovered IQ and the album "The Road Of Bones"... I love it! Then a post from Larry mentioned that it was neo-prog. I was not aware of this style. I knew Marillion but didn't know it was neo-prog. Today I understand why I like neo-prog. In fact it's very close to progressive metal. It's melodic, there are guitar solos, there is a hard rock influence. But in the end it's just a tag. For example IQ is called neo-prog, but maybe we can say it's a mix of neo-prog and old school progressive rock.

About Genesis - Foxtrot, to me, it's not very melodic, I barely hear the guitar and I don't hear a hard rock influence (it's not rock enough for me).

I don't know if there are still albums of the 70s I have never heard that would appeal to me...

From your recommendations, based on your writing, for now I will try Kansas - Point Of know return (melody)... I already have a best Of album of Kansas I haven't played in years... But Best Of is often not the best way to discover a band...
I will try King Crimson - Red (heaviest... just a bit more punch and this would be the first-ever progressive metal album...)
And maybe others from your list...
Gaétan

GaetanL

Postby GaetanL » Fri Nov 23, 2018 11:42 pm

I Forgot to say I have all Judas Priest albums of the 70s. I edited my first post...
Gaétan

elendil

Postby elendil » Sat Nov 24, 2018 8:54 am

GaetanL wrote:About Genesis - Foxtrot, to me, it's not very melodic, I barely hear the guitar and I don't hear a hard rock influence (it's not rock enough for me).

Ah, I see. If you have a strong taste for guitar solos, you'll rarely find that in 70s prog, to be sure. It's more about the interplay of the different instruments (except ELP, where it's all about the keyboards). KC might not be to your taste either, despite the harder sound of some of their albums; they're more of a precursor to modern-day tech-metal than the melodic progressive metal sound. Big influence on bands like Voivod.

GaetanL

Postby GaetanL » Sat Nov 24, 2018 9:20 am

elendil wrote:Ah, I see. If you have a strong taste for guitar solos, you'll rarely find that in 70s prog, to be sure.

Yeah, I love great guitar solos... My favorite album of the 70s would not be necessarily prog. For example, when I mention Judas Priest - Stained Class as a possible choice, this is not a progressive album. This album is special to me, I discovered it late. After this album, Judas Priest sounds more commercial. It's still good and I like it also but since I heard the Judas Priest of the 70s, I have a higher esteem for this band...
Gaétan

Nos

Postby Nos » Sat Nov 24, 2018 9:49 am

The Rainbow records are great, but my favorite from the 70s is "Bat Out Of Hell", no doubt. I'm still the wacky guy who likes the sequel more (what can I say - it was the first album I loved growing up), but Steinman for the win.

introclaus

Postby introclaus » Sat Nov 24, 2018 9:59 am

Nos wrote:The Rainbow records are great, but my favorite from the 70s is "Bat Out Of Hell", no doubt. I'm still the wacky guy who likes the sequel more (what can I say - it was the first album I loved growing up), but Steinman for the win.

I an actually also in that “wacky guy” camp then ... oh, and I think the Ghost dude really wish he was Steinman as I hear a shit-ton of Meat Loaf atmosphere to especially the last two Ghost discs, so it makes sense that you like that band so much.
Claus Jensen

introclaus

Postby introclaus » Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:03 am

GaetanL wrote:Albums of the 70s I have:
All Black Sabbath albums
All Deep Purple albums
Led Zeppelin IV
All Scorpions albums
All Styx albums
Pink Floyd: Dark Side Of The Moon / The Wall
All Rush albums
All Judas Priest albums
All Journey albums
Rainbow: Ritchie Blackmore's Rainbow / Rising / Long Live Rock 'N' Roll
All Boston albums
All Triumph albums
Heart: Little Queen / Dog & Butterfly
Meat Loaf - Bat Out Of Hell
All Saga albums
All Van Halen albums
Accept - Accept
Saxon - Saxon

My favorite album of the:
80s: Queensrÿche - Operation: Mindcrime
90s: Dream Theater - Images & Words
00s: Redemption - The Fullness Of Time
10s: Wolverine - Communication Lost

From the albums of the 70s I have, the candidates:
Black Sabbath - Black Sabbath
Rainbow - Rising
Rush - 2112
Judas Priest - Stained Class
Van Halen - Van Halen
Pink Floyd - The Wall
Scorpions - Lovedrive

I don't know much the 70s. I was too young in this period. So maybe my favorite album of the 70s is an album I have not heard yet? The one in the candidates list I currently consider the most is Judas Priest - Stained Class. But like I said, this is not official yet... The band Judas Priest recently played live for the first time the song "Saints In Hell" from this album, 40 years after its release! Great song from a classic album!

My favorite album of the 70s is YES “Tales from topographic oceans”. I don’t necessarily think it’ll be what you’re looking for since it might be more proggy and less guitar heavy than you want it to be, but it’s a wonderful disc.

Other than that, the first Michael Schenker Group album is one of the best (if not THE best) hard rock albums of all time and deserves to at least be checked out.
Claus Jensen

GaetanL

Postby GaetanL » Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:13 am

introclaus wrote:Other than that, the first Michael Schenker Group album is one of the best (if not THE best) hard rock albums of all time and deserves to at least be checked out.

Thanks for the reminder, I know Scorpions very well but not the bands somewhat related to Scorpions like UFO, Michael Schenker Group, Michael Schenker's Temple Of Rock, ... I need to check this out...
Gaétan

GaetanL

Postby GaetanL » Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:22 am

introclaus wrote:Other than that, the first Michael Schenker Group album is one of the best (if not THE best) hard rock albums of all time and deserves to at least be checked out.

I'm checking right now on wikipedia and eventually check on youtube... But this could not be my favorite album of the 70s... It was actually released in 1980 according to wikipedia... :wink:
Gaétan

introclaus

Postby introclaus » Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:26 am

GaetanL wrote:

I'm checking right now on wikipedia and eventually check on youtube... But this could not be my favorite album of the 70s... It was actually released in 1980 according to wikipedia... :wink:

Ahh sorry, my bad. I was 9 at the time ... probably too much candy at the time for me to be able to remember correctly ;)
Claus Jensen

Nos

Postby Nos » Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:49 am

introclaus wrote:
Nos wrote:The Rainbow records are great, but my favorite from the 70s is "Bat Out Of Hell", no doubt. I'm still the wacky guy who likes the sequel more (what can I say - it was the first album I loved growing up), but Steinman for the win.

I an actually also in that “wacky guy” camp then ... oh, and I think the Ghost dude really wish he was Steinman as I hear a shit-ton of Meat Loaf atmosphere to especially the last two Ghost discs, so it makes sense that you like that band so much.

Hmm... I've never heard much of that in Ghost. It's all over Avantasia though. Tobi's confessed to writing multiple homages to that style.

introclaus

Postby introclaus » Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:57 am

Nos wrote:
introclaus wrote:

Hmm... I've never heard much of that in Ghost. It's all over Avantasia though. Tobi's confessed to writing multiple homages to that style.

Sure, but that’s too simple or straight-ahead of a comparison. That’s like saying that Jon Oliva likes Queen or that Neal Morse likes The Beatles :)

It’s the subtle things in Ghost that hints at the drama and atmosphere of Steinman/Meat Loaf.
Claus Jensen

LarryD
Site Admin

Postby LarryD » Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:02 am

I would have to say that my favorite album of the 70s, and one of my favorites of all time - is RUSH / 2112......... that album was life changing for me in many ways.

GaetanL

Postby GaetanL » Tue Jan 01, 2019 2:05 pm

It's now official, I have added the band Judas Priest to my website and I wrote that "Stained Class" is my favorite album of the 70s.
Gaétan

LarryD
Site Admin

Postby LarryD » Tue Jan 01, 2019 4:54 pm

GaetanL wrote:It's now official, I have added the band Judas Priest to my website and I wrote that "Stained Class" is my favorite album of the 70s.

***That is a not a bad album at all to declare an all time favorite........it's probably my favorite Priest disc as well ...... little tidbit. I saw Priest on the STained Class tour in 1977 ......it was in a nice rock club, held about 500 people I'd say .... after that, went back to someone's house for a Stained Class party ........it was, simply incredible.

Chris R

Postby Chris R » Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:17 pm

LarryD wrote:I would have to say that my favorite album of the 70s, and one of my favorites of all time - is RUSH / 2112......... that album was life changing for me in many ways.

First album I ever owned (at age 7 no less,)to the dismay of my mother who though the only good music was music that had a good beat and you could dance to.So yeah,life changing
(2nd was the Boston ST and 3rd Rainbow-Rising)

To me the best 70s albums
Rush-Hemishpheres
UK- ST
Rainbow-Rising
Saga-ST
Gary Numan-The Pleasure Principle (officially came out in the UK in 1979)..my love of futuristic synths was cemented with this even though Ithey were prevelant in the prog and rock I liked .
Tarja is a female woman

Return to “PM: Core”