Universe Effects - Desolation

The Heart of the Prog/Power Movement

Moderators: TROY or maybe DEBBIE, Stevie WOnder, Digital Man

User avatar
Mardoch
Posts: 697
Joined: Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:05 am
Location: Baton Rouge, LA

Universe Effects - Desolation

Postby Mardoch » Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:22 pm

New single for a new album and it's sounding really good.

https://universeeffects.bandcamp.com/releases

User avatar
Chris R
Posts: 505
Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:25 pm
Location: Tampa Bay

Re: Universe Effects - Desolation

Postby Chris R » Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:24 am

Interesting
Tarja is a female woman
Image

User avatar
LarryD
Site Admin
Posts: 6334
Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2004 7:57 pm
Location: Rhode Island / USA

Re: Universe Effects - Desolation

Postby LarryD » Thu Oct 25, 2018 7:24 am

I would buy this one blind ..... great band, can't wait .........

Sparky
Posts: 1118
Joined: Mon Apr 19, 2004 1:33 pm

Re: Universe Effects - Desolation

Postby Sparky » Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:36 am

LarryD wrote:I would buy this one blind ..... great band, can't wait .........


Same, and they seemed to have matured a bit, so this should be gold.

User avatar
ToddS
Site Admin
Posts: 3126
Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2004 9:38 pm
Location: New Orleans

Re: Universe Effects - Desolation

Postby ToddS » Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:37 pm

Sparky wrote:
LarryD wrote:I would buy this one blind ..... great band, can't wait .........


Same, and they seemed to have matured a bit, so this should be gold.


Count me in too. This track is nice, but I'm already in. ;)
"My songs become my freedom, and my freedom turns to gold"

User avatar
Random Axe
Posts: 1277
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2004 11:01 pm
Location: Cincinnati, OH

Re: Universe Effects - Desolation

Postby Random Axe » Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:06 pm

never heard them before, sounds interesting. I'll check into them as this track is pretty nice.

User avatar
Mardoch
Posts: 697
Joined: Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:05 am
Location: Baton Rouge, LA

Re: Universe Effects - Desolation

Postby Mardoch » Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:11 pm

Random Axe wrote:never heard them before, sounds interesting. I'll check into them as this track is pretty nice.

If you like classic prog inspired music that's on the rock-metal border you'll probably be all over this. It feels like there's a lot of Kansas in this band to me, and that's part of what I love.

Here's a nice live-in-studio vid from their last album:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8u4RPiOveI

User avatar
EmptyThoughts
Posts: 94
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2005 2:29 pm

Re: Universe Effects - Desolation

Postby EmptyThoughts » Fri Oct 26, 2018 4:19 am

Their debut album was awesome. Didn't know they were about to release a new album. This band definitely takes you back to what Prog is all about...

BTW, here is the second single off the new album. Awesome stuff...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qUxFw0v5s ... e=youtu.be

User avatar
introclaus
Posts: 741
Joined: Sat Apr 17, 2004 7:40 am
Location: Raleigh, NC
Contact:

Re: Universe Effects - Desolation

Postby introclaus » Fri Oct 26, 2018 7:04 am

The music is very nice but the singer has as much personality as all the zebras that weren’t Marty in Madagascar 2 (movie reference for the parents and kids around here) ... his voice leaves me empty - does absolutely nothing for me.
Claus Jensen

Sparky
Posts: 1118
Joined: Mon Apr 19, 2004 1:33 pm

Re: Universe Effects - Desolation

Postby Sparky » Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:33 pm

introclaus wrote:The music is very nice but the singer has as much personality as all the zebras that weren’t Marty in Madagascar 2 (movie reference for the parents and kids around here) ... his voice leaves me empty - does absolutely nothing for me.


I don't mind him. What I DO mind is the garbage lyrics on their first disc, although I still listen to it.

My 'mature' comment above was really aimed at the lyrical content of the new tunes. Not nearly as sophomoric.

User avatar
Mardoch
Posts: 697
Joined: Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:05 am
Location: Baton Rouge, LA

Re: Universe Effects - Desolation

Postby Mardoch » Sat Oct 27, 2018 1:04 am

introclaus wrote:The music is very nice but the singer has as much personality as all the zebras that weren’t Marty in Madagascar 2 (movie reference for the parents and kids around here) ... his voice leaves me empty - does absolutely nothing for me.

Yeah, he's really just ok. I have grown to enjoy it, though.

Harvester
Posts: 478
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2006 5:29 pm

Re: Universe Effects - Desolation

Postby Harvester » Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:57 am


User avatar
GaetanL
Posts: 676
Joined: Tue May 25, 2004 9:34 pm
Location: Quebec City, QC, Canada
Contact:

Re: Universe Effects - Desolation

Postby GaetanL » Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:21 pm

CD is also available for purchase:

http://www.universeeffects.ca/en/store

Now I wonder if it's a factory pressed CD or a CD-R?
Gaétan
Musique Progressive Dynamique
Site consacré au métal progressif, au néo-prog et au hard rock
http://www.musiqueprog.net

User avatar
Mardoch
Posts: 697
Joined: Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:05 am
Location: Baton Rouge, LA

Re: Universe Effects - Desolation

Postby Mardoch » Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:32 pm

I'm really digging this album. It's a bit darker, heavier, and a lot more dramatic. Kind of an expansion in every direction.

User avatar
ToddS
Site Admin
Posts: 3126
Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2004 9:38 pm
Location: New Orleans

Re: Universe Effects - Desolation

Postby ToddS » Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:32 pm

Harvester wrote:Digital available for purchase now:

https://universeeffects.bandcamp.com/album/desolation


Excellent!
"My songs become my freedom, and my freedom turns to gold"

User avatar
Stevie WOnder
Posts: 4347
Joined: Sat Apr 17, 2004 12:06 am
Location: Quebec City

Re: Universe Effects - Desolation

Postby Stevie WOnder » Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:09 am

Just got to this one. The music is stellar and while the singer isn’t Gildenlow, he’s not as bad as some comments I’ve read.

Really liking this. I’ll see with more spins but so far so very good.

With this one, the Redemption, Kingcrow, Alien Weaponry, Seventh Wonder, Mystery, Southern Empire, Vola, Hilliard and WET, my top ten is packed already.
"Manowar rules!!!" - Larry D

Kez
Posts: 223
Joined: Sun Mar 20, 2005 12:56 am
Location: Vienna, VA

Re: Universe Effects - Desolation

Postby Kez » Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:25 pm

Stevie WOnder wrote:Just got to this one. The music is stellar and while the singer isn’t Gildenlow, he’s not as bad as some comments I’ve read.

Really liking this. I’ll see with more spins but so far so very good.

With this one, the Redemption, Kingcrow, Alien Weaponry, Seventh Wonder, Mystery, Southern Empire, Vola, Hilliard and WET, my top ten is packed already.


If Michael Romeo is not in your top ten, then we can't be friends anymore.

:lol:

It's still just slaying me.

User avatar
Stevie WOnder
Posts: 4347
Joined: Sat Apr 17, 2004 12:06 am
Location: Quebec City

Re: Universe Effects - Desolation

Postby Stevie WOnder » Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:37 pm

Kez wrote:
Stevie WOnder wrote:Just got to this one. The music is stellar and while the singer isn’t Gildenlow, he’s not as bad as some comments I’ve read.

Really liking this. I’ll see with more spins but so far so very good.

With this one, the Redemption, Kingcrow, Alien Weaponry, Seventh Wonder, Mystery, Southern Empire, Vola, Hilliard and WET, my top ten is packed already.


If Michael Romeo is not in your top ten, then we can't be friends anymore.

:lol:

It's still just slaying me.


Haha! It’s quite good, just under those. I’ve not been known to be the greatest Sym X fan. ;)
"Manowar rules!!!" - Larry D


Return to “PM: Core”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 13 guests