New releases this week...

The Heart of the Prog/Power Movement

Moderators: TROY or maybe DEBBIE, Stevie WOnder, Digital Man

introclaus

New releases this week...

Postby introclaus » Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:35 am

There were a lot of interesting releases this week - i had my hopes high for these:

Arion - it’s okay but perhaps I’m just a bit tired of this super cheesy fast “Spinefarm” style of power metal... it sounds like Dynazty, Beast in Black and Amaranthe all mixed together and it’s just too much sugar intake for someone with diabetes ;) That said, the singer is awesome (check out the latest Constantine album to hear him shine on top of really good music). Sorry, not buying it.

Shining (NO) - this one is really interesting. It’s like they decided to get rid of everything they’ve built their career upon so far - no jazz, no sax, no black metal, no proggy stuff ... just straight up melodies and rock n roll attitude. Parts reminds me of Muse and parts reminds me of Motörhead hahahahaha totally strange but I’m digging this! Bought!

Greta Van Fleet - it would be impossible for them to top the debut EP and probably also impossible for them to come up with something remotely original, but as expected this works well. It’s Led Zep-lite for the millennial crowd and it isn’t bad. I’ll pick this up at F.Y.E. or Best Buy when I see it on sale in a month or two ;)

Northern Crown - this one I’ve been waiting on impatiently - their precious album showed a lot of promise but wasn’t perfect. This time around it sounds like they got it right! Musically this is somewhere in between My Dying Bride, Tiamat, Paradise Lost and especially Year of the Goat. The singer sounds so much like Thomas Sabatthi it made me stop several times to make sure it was the right album I was listening to. I’m loving this and any band that has the balls to cover “Your River” by MDB gets my money.

Anyone checked out these releases? Or is there anything else that came out this week that I’ve missed out on?
Claus Jensen

Nos

Re: New releases this week...

Postby Nos » Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:33 am

introclaus wrote:Greta Van Fleet - it would be impossible for them to top the debut EP and probably also impossible for them to come up with something remotely original, but as expected this works well. It’s Led Zep-lite for the millennial crowd and it isn’t bad. I’ll pick this up at F.Y.E. or Best Buy when I see it on sale in a month or two ;)

I think it's an improvement over the EPs, actually. I've never gotten into Zeppelin at all, but I really enjoy this one. It isn't original at all, but they do the sound well, and they write hookier songs (vocally) than Plant did. If they can keep this up, they'll be up there with Graveyard as the best of the new classic rock bands.

Mardoch

Postby Mardoch » Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:39 am

introclaus wrote:Shining (NO) - this one is really interesting. It’s like they decided to get rid of everything they’ve built their career upon so far - no jazz, no sax, no black metal, no proggy stuff ... just straight up melodies and rock n roll attitude. Parts reminds me of Muse and parts reminds me of Motörhead hahahahaha totally strange but I’m digging this! Bought!

Huh. That's something unexpected. I'll be honest, their blackjazz was a bit too much even for me. My curiosity is definitely piqued by their sound as straight up rock, though.

introclaus

Postby introclaus » Sat Oct 20, 2018 12:10 pm

I just checked out the new Guardians of Time album ... not bad at all (better than the last two). “Machines of Mental Design” is still my favorite of theirs and probably the only one I’ll ever need. They still sound like Halloween, Judas Priest, Iced Earth and Iron Maiden all blended together ... good stuff if you’re into this kind of fast paced metal.
Claus Jensen

Return to “PM: Core”