New Evergrey album

The Heart of the Prog/Power Movement

Moderators: TROY or maybe DEBBIE, Stevie WOnder, Digital Man

T'ski

New Evergrey album

Postby T'ski » Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:23 pm

according to their Facebook page, Evergrey's new album is done.

no other details at this moment, but their last two albums were very, very good. can't wait to hear the new one.

Sir Exar Kun

Re: New Evergrey album

Postby Sir Exar Kun » Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:53 am

Same here. "Hymns" was better than the last one, IMHO, but both were definitely strong discs. I know they had some delays with it due to equipment being stolen, if I recall correctly.....?
Capitalism: God's way of separating the smart from the poor. -Ron Swanson

Packgrog

Postby Packgrog » Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:27 pm

I adored Hymns. The most recent one was in a similar vein but never quite hooked me. As long as they don't slide back into the awfulness of MMA or lifelessness of Torn, I'm good.

Man Of Much Metal

Postby Man Of Much Metal » Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:49 pm

Meh, I guess I'll take a listen...but I'm not a big fan if I'm honest :wink: :wink:
Matt
The Man of Much Metal
The Blog Of Much Metal: https://manofmuchmetal.com/

outprogged42

Postby outprogged42 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:01 am

The album title is "The Atlantic" which releases January 25. Tom's been through some personal changes which may have affected the lyrical content. He didn't seem to elaborate on whether they did, when I asked him at PP.

T'ski

Postby T'ski » Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:23 am

details...

"EVERGREY to release new album „The Atlantic“ on January 25th!

Acclaimed Swedish dark melodic metal masters EVERGREY are set to release their new studio album, titled “The Atlantic”, on January 25th 2019. The band has worked extensively on the follow-up to their highly successful 2016’s effort “The Storm Within” (which entered the charts on high positions in numerous countries).
Again, EVERGREY teamed up with Jacob Hansen, who – just like with the band’s previous releases “The Storm Within” and “Hymns For The Broken”) took care of mixing and mastering.

EVERGREY’s Tom S. Englund states:
(Gothenburg 16th of October):
“Guys! This is album number 11!
Isn't that just sick?! It’s also the 3rd album of a concept that might have reached its destination or at least one conclusion. It might also have been something that some of you saw coming or anticipated?
We’ve fought through giant private obstacles as well as an extremely complicated break-in at our Headquarters studio to bring this album to you. So at the same time as it's certainly not been painless or at all easy, it’s been rewarding in new ways and our creativity has been painted in colors of honesty and sincerity.
This is our heaviest, darkest, and perhaps also our most diverse album to date. It’s everything we wanted to compose and the written words come straight from a place of transparency and never before experienced lucidity. Finally, as of yesterday, we’ve reached new shores. We can’t wait for you to share this journey with us and dive into our worlds, our depths, and the waters of The Atlantic!”

Pre-order has been kicked off now:
https://shop.afm-records.de/evergrey/

“The Atlantic” tracklist:
01. A Silent Arc
02. Weightless
03. All I Have
04. A Secret Atlantis
05. The Tidal
06. End Of Silence
07. Currents
08. Departure
09. The Beacon
10. This Ocean"

gazinwales

Postby gazinwales » Fri Nov 23, 2018 2:45 am

First single is out and it's killer too
https://youtu.be/J1vedv2gPio

Nos

Postby Nos » Fri Nov 23, 2018 8:49 am

That song was exactly what I don't like about quite a bit of prog metal. It starts out good, and the hints of death metal in the riffing is interesting, but that chorus. Ugh. It's slow, and lazy, and the melody is kind of an amorphis blob of crooning that doesn't seem to go anywhere. It's so unmemorable.

Chris R

Postby Chris R » Fri Nov 23, 2018 9:01 am

gazinwales wrote:First single is out and it's killer too
https://youtu.be/J1vedv2gPio

Everything I hoped for and more
Well done
Tarja is a female woman

Man Of Much Metal

Postby Man Of Much Metal » Fri Nov 23, 2018 3:47 pm

Nos wrote:That song was exactly what I don't like about quite a bit of prog metal. It starts out good, and the hints of death metal in the riffing is interesting, but that chorus. Ugh. It's slow, and lazy, and the melody is kind of an amorphis blob of crooning that doesn't seem to go anywhere. It's so unmemorable.

I genuinely don't think I could disagree more with this statement...yes I'm biased, but this is a killer track. I appreciate that you don't like it and that's cool, no biggie. But 'lazy'? C'mon, at least be fair with your criticism - it is meant to be a slower, doomy track, with tons of atmosphere and human emotion. Trust me on that. It is anything but lazy and the chorus is a thing of real beauty as far as I'm concerned. Out of interest, how many times have you spun the track?
Matt
The Man of Much Metal

Nos

Postby Nos » Fri Nov 23, 2018 4:00 pm

Man Of Much Metal wrote:
Nos wrote:That song was exactly what I don't like about quite a bit of prog metal. It starts out good, and the hints of death metal in the riffing is interesting, but that chorus. Ugh. It's slow, and lazy, and the melody is kind of an amorphis blob of crooning that doesn't seem to go anywhere. It's so unmemorable.

I genuinely don't think I could disagree more with this statement...yes I'm biased, but this is a killer track. I appreciate that you don't like it and that's cool, no biggie. But 'lazy'? C'mon, at least be fair with your criticism - it is meant to be a slower, doomy track, with tons of atmosphere and human emotion. Trust me on that. It is anything but lazy and the chorus is a thing of real beauty as far as I'm concerned. Out of interest, how many times have you spun the track?

Not the entire song, but the chorus melody. It's lazy in that it sounds like Tom said, "I'll just croon a couple of notes and hold them for a while." I don't hear much movement or rhythm to the cadence. It doesn't sound like a lot of effort went into the melody.

Random Axe

Postby Random Axe » Fri Nov 23, 2018 5:19 pm

I have to kinda agree with NOS. I really do like this band and the guys are fantastic but for an opening track this is lacking energy. For me, its about as exciting as the accompanying video.

This is an instant purchase regardless of my feelings with the opening track, but I was hoping for somewhat of a return to form without the doomy, gothic flavorings that held the last few releases back for me. The down-tuned, slow chugga isn't working for me anymore.

Man Of Much Metal

Postby Man Of Much Metal » Fri Nov 23, 2018 6:34 pm

Random Axe wrote:I have to kinda agree with NOS. I really do like this band and the guys are fantastic but for an opening track this is lacking energy. For me, its about as exciting as the accompanying video.

This is an instant purchase regardless of my feelings with the opening track, but I was hoping for somewhat of a return to form without the doomy, gothic flavorings that held the last few releases back for me. The down-tuned, slow chugga isn't working for me anymore.

You're allowed to agree with Nos without sounding somewhat apologetic :wink:
Matt
The Man of Much Metal

Nos

Postby Nos » Fri Nov 23, 2018 8:44 pm

Man Of Much Metal wrote:

I have been known to be right from time to time.

Random Axe

Postby Random Axe » Fri Nov 23, 2018 9:10 pm

This is simply strange for me. With every other release they lead in with a brillliant first track/single that reeled me in. This one feels different but perhaps within the context of the albums concept it'll have a different vibe

Mardoch

Postby Mardoch » Sat Nov 24, 2018 12:17 am

I actually like this track more than anything from the last two albums.

Anderson

Postby Anderson » Sat Nov 24, 2018 12:44 am

I loved the last 2 albums, especially Hymns. This song is absolutely killer. Love the arrangement and the emotional ride it takes the listener on. Love the chorus, Tom sounds amazing as always. Cannot wait to hear the rest, I have a feeling this album is really going to be something special.

Chris
facebook.com/divineregale

Man Of Much Metal

Postby Man Of Much Metal » Sat Nov 24, 2018 3:25 pm

Nos wrote:
Man Of Much Metal wrote:

I have been known to be right from time to time.

Absolutely, no doubt about it. Not on this occasion, obviously, but there have been times :wink:
Matt
The Man of Much Metal

Harvester

Postby Harvester » Sat Nov 24, 2018 8:33 pm

I enjoy Nos' writing and his reviews. He sticks to his guns and is brutally honest in what he feels. You just have to keep his tastes in perspective. I pay attention when he critiques pop and melodic rock. That's his wheelhouse and he is spot on. However, with prog and power, he's basically the antichrist. I actually tend to make sure I check out things he hates in those two genres.

Nos

Postby Nos » Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:04 pm

Harvester wrote:I enjoy Nos' writing and his reviews. He sticks to his guns and is brutally honest in what he feels. You just have to keep his tastes in perspective. I pay attention when he critiques pop and melodic rock. That's his wheelhouse and he is spot on. However, with prog and power, he's basically the antichrist. I actually tend to make sure I check out things he hates in those two genres.

What's a bit ironic is that other than Metallica's "Black Album", power metal is what started me out in heavier stuff. It's all Edguy's fault, via my friend's college radio show.

Oh, and I appreciate the compliment that was in there.

Nos

Postby Nos » Wed Nov 28, 2018 12:21 pm

I wasn't expecting it yet, but I got to hear the album today. Given my tastes, you can all take this with a grain of salt.

For me, someone who most enjoys "Torn", "The Atlantic" is easily the best of these last three albums. It's still totally Evergrey, but this record feels a bit more lively to me. In fact, I'd say the single is the weakest track of the bunch. The record sounds great (though I'm sure it is a bit hot if you look at the waveforms), it's heavy where it needs to be, and there's stronger hooks than what I remember of the last couple. I actually found myself enjoying it quite a bit on first listen.

Packgrog

Postby Packgrog » Wed Nov 28, 2018 12:30 pm

Nos wrote:For me, someone who most enjoys "Torn", "The Atlantic" is easily the best of these last three albums.

Oof. That doesn't bode well, then. Torn was probably their second worst album, with Monday Morning Apocalypse taking the Golden Turd trophy. Torn was just boring and lifeless. What made Hymns for the Broken such a breath of fresh air was how reinvigorated the band (and particularly Tom) sounded. I quite enjoyed Glorious Collision (apart from the awful cover art), but Hymns was where they were really back on form. I think the only reason that The Storm Within didn't stick with me much was that it just felt like Hymns Part 2. Not a bad thing, but no longer the joyous surprise. I'll give this next one a try, but I won't get my hopes up too high.

The Surfing Alien

Postby The Surfing Alien » Wed Nov 28, 2018 1:11 pm

Riffs, I hear riffs. dark riffs. I like it.

Mardoch

Postby Mardoch » Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:40 pm

Nos wrote:I wasn't expecting it yet, but I got to hear the album today. Given my tastes, you can all take this with a grain of salt.

For me, someone who most enjoys "Torn", "The Atlantic" is easily the best of these last three albums. It's still totally Evergrey, but this record feels a bit more lively to me. In fact, I'd say the single is the weakest track of the bunch. The record sounds great (though I'm sure it is a bit hot if you look at the waveforms), it's heavy where it needs to be, and there's stronger hooks than what I remember of the last couple. I actually found myself enjoying it quite a bit on first listen.

I'm an odd man out in that I also love Torn, so this is good news for me.

Chris R

Postby Chris R » Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:58 pm

Harvester wrote:I enjoy Nos' writing and his reviews. He sticks to his guns and is brutally honest in what he feels. You just have to keep his tastes in perspective. I pay attention when he critiques pop and melodic rock. That's his wheelhouse and he is spot on. However, with prog and power, he's basically the antichrist. I actually tend to make sure I check out things he hates in those two genres.

Same here
Tarja is a female woman

T'ski

Postby T'ski » Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:10 pm

Mardoch

Postby Mardoch » Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:29 pm

Ho ho hoooo yesss. Give me an album of this and I'll buy that shit twice.

ToddS
Site Admin

Postby ToddS » Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:55 pm

The Surfing Alien wrote:Riffs, I hear riffs. dark riffs. I like it.

This! The riffs are what I love the most about Evergrey. They have been MIA. To be honest I haven’t loved an Evergrey recording in a very long time. This one has potential.
"My songs become my freedom, and my freedom turns to gold"

ToddS
Site Admin

Postby ToddS » Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:12 pm

Listening to this track again, along with Weightless, I do think you have a point. I don’t necessarily agree it’s lazy, maybe so, but I do want Evergrey to kick my ass through the chorus on these heavier tracks. That has been lacking imo. I do like Weightless chorus better. I just prefer when the keep the intensity up through the chorus.
"My songs become my freedom, and my freedom turns to gold"

T'ski

Postby T'ski » Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:40 am

another new track, "Currents"...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JyWYSkoa1V0

Return to “PM: Core”