The Flower Kings: What album should I try first?

The Heart of the Prog/Power Movement

Moderators: TROY or maybe DEBBIE, Stevie WOnder, Digital Man

GaetanL

The Flower Kings: What album should I try first?

Postby GaetanL » Mon Sep 24, 2018 6:43 pm

This band is coming to town and I have never heard a single note of them...
I don't have a clue if I would like their music...
What album should I try first?
I know I like neo-prog in general but this band is more old school progressive rock I think... But it's just a tag and I would like to hear the music instead...
Gaétan
Musique Progressive Dynamique
Site consacré au métal progressif, au néo-prog et au hard rock
http://www.musiqueprog.net

outprogged42

Re: The Flower Kings: What album should I try first?

Postby outprogged42 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:02 am

This band is symphonic prog in the style of old Yes, musically and particularly in the positive mood and lyrical content, with some of the quirkiness of Frank Zappa and King Crimson. I have a few albums but haven't really spun them in forever. Banks of Eden was my first and it is excellent. The Sum of No Evil and Desolation Rose are also really good albums.

This song from Banks of Eden is a good viewpoint into their style, although they do tend to specialize in very long epics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgYw9NhIqsE

Sir Exar Kun

Postby Sir Exar Kun » Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:45 am

This band is symphonic prog in the style of old Yes, musically and particularly in the positive mood and lyrical content, with some of the quirkiness of Frank Zappa and King Crimson. I have a few albums but haven't really spun them in forever. Banks of Eden was my first and it is excellent. The Sum of No Evil and Desolation Rose are also really good albums.

This song from Banks of Eden is a good viewpoint into their style, although they do tend to specialize in very long epics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgYw9NhIqsE

What he said. :)

"Desolation Rose" is their best "newer" album, and has a bit of a more modern slant to the music. Most of their earlier albums are VERY much from the Yes playbook, but "Stardust We Are" is probably my favorite. Personally, I'd recommend checking out the live album "Instant Delivery" as it is a pretty good sampling of their material..... Plus, they are one of those bands that I think come across better live than in the studio.
Capitalism: God's way of separating the smart from the poor. -Ron Swanson

Mark

Postby Mark » Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:13 am

I got to see them once at ROSfest. Roine said he had a cold and his voice might not be a hundred percent that night. They uncorked several hours of the most stunning live performances I've ever seen. Their rendition of the song Stardust We Are was riveting and unforgettable. The two albums I started with are Unfold the Future and Adam & Eve. The song Driver's Seat from A&E is probably my favorite individual FK song.

progdavid

Postby progdavid » Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:43 am

Stardust we Are or Retropolis.

Return to “PM: Core”