The Heart of the Prog/Power Movement

Moderators: TROY or maybe DEBBIE, Stevie WOnder, Digital Man

Harvester

ProgPower USA XX

Postby Harvester » Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:36 pm

T'ski

Re: ProgPower USA XX

Postby T'ski » Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:47 pm

Curious to hear your train of thought behind Poets of the Fall. While they are a quality band, I don't see the fit personally.

LarryD
Site Admin

Postby LarryD » Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:36 am

Such an incredible lineup ....... already trying to figure out when dinner would be. Having a tough time with that one .......awesome lineup.

Harvester

Postby Harvester » Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:42 am

Re: Poets of the Fall

My sentiment is they are one of the best bands on the planet. I connect with them emotionally like few others.

Otherwise, your thoughts have been shared by a faction of the public for numerous bands over the years, dating as far back to Mercenary, Pink Cream 69, & Diablo Swing Orchestra to most recent as Anathema. At one time, this was called the "oddball" band. Thankfully, most of the public has decided to free their minds of any perceived borders or restrictions and simply enjoy good music they won't get a chance to see elsewhere.

Sir Exar Kun

Postby Sir Exar Kun » Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:10 am

My sentiment is they are one of the best bands on the planet. I connect with them emotionally like few others.

Otherwise, your thoughts have been shared by a faction of the public for numerous bands over the years, dating as far back to Mercenary, Pink Cream 69, & Diablo Swing Orchestra to most recent as Anathema. At one time, this was called the "oddball" band. Thankfully, most of the public has decided to free their minds of any perceived borders or restrictions and simply enjoy good music they won't get a chance to see elsewhere.

Poets definitely seems to be a fit in that same "exploratory" or "oddball" niche, and I suspect they will come out with a lot of new fans. I've sampled a bunch of tunes since the announcement, and can definitely see them fitting in nicely. "Carnival of Rust" Is fantastic (and a perfect fit for the XX theme) but the rest hasn't really grabbed me. Still and all, I suspect these guys will be a sleeper hit with a lot of folks.

Are Poets the "zig instead of zag" reference you had been alluding to? Aside from not making this a blockbuster milestone all-star sort of lineup, wasn't quite sure what you were hinting at. Great mix of prog and power, little bit of death (heck, maybe MORE than a little bit when throwing in days 1 and 2). Good old-school connections like Subsignal and Psychotic Waltz.....

Very interested to see what XXV shapes up to be, and seriously hope that this only means you hand off the torch, and not put the nail in the coffin! :)
Capitalism: God's way of separating the smart from the poor. -Ron Swanson

Mark

Postby Mark » Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:41 am

LarryD wrote:Such an incredible lineup ....... already trying to figure out when dinner would be. Having a tough time with that one .......awesome lineup.

I feel similarly. Next year is going to be the "diet" ProgPower, because I'm not going to want to take time to eat.

Sir Exar Kun

Postby Sir Exar Kun » Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:50 am

I feel similarly. Next year is going to be the "diet" ProgPower, because I'm not going to want to take time to eat.

That's the beauty of the BBQ vendor..... You can bolt just as a band is leaving the stage, and beat the line and be back inside in plenty of time.

outprogged42

Postby outprogged42 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:42 pm

Sir Exar Kun wrote:

That's the beauty of the BBQ vendor..... You can bolt just as a band is leaving the stage, and beat the line and be back inside in plenty of time.

The burrito vendor once had such a long line that I nearly missed some of Nocturnal Rites, but fortunately the band went on 10 minutes late. Although after Eclipse I was able to sneak quickly out to Sausalito's and eat a full meal, and get back in time for Soen.

Speaking of that, I've heard that Sausalito's will probably be reopened in another nearby location by next year, and I would sorely miss them if they didn't. Da Vinci's would be too much food to eat by myself and Vespucci's isn't as attractive to me.

This being said, the in-venue options were quite good this year. The BBQ taco was quite delicious and the burritos perfectly adequate, though the price upmark of both is always a sticking point for me.

zedowns

Postby zedowns » Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:41 pm

The lineup is ridiculously good. The returns are all awesome, there's a bunch of bands I've never seen that I've been dying to see, and I'm already digging the stuff I've heard from Barren Earth and Poets of the Fall.

Best since XV and honestly one of the best ever.

Chris R

Postby Chris R » Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:59 pm

Harvester wrote:Re: Poets of the Fall

So there is a chance for Mystery after all

Asking for a friend
Tarja is a female woman

Chris R

Postby Chris R » Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:02 pm

And yeah...
Might be the strongest line up for all 4 days ever.
I have a year to figure out if I can get one of the food delivery options to get Umi delivered to me (outside the venue of course)...because I cant see any time to get up to Buckhead for this
Tarja is a female woman

ToddS
Site Admin

Postby ToddS » Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:40 pm

Line up is diverse and jaw dropping! :shock:
"My songs become my freedom, and my freedom turns to gold"

introclaus

Postby introclaus » Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:10 am

Incredible!!! This might be the strongest and “purest” line up in the last decade. Just the fact that Glenn got Psychotic Waltz is amazing.
Claus Jensen

Mardoch

Postby Mardoch » Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:59 am

Initially I was a little underwhelmed. But then Saturday I was talking over the lineup with Troy and realized that I'm pretty excited about well over half the lineup...so I think it was just a matter of not seeing some names I was really hoping to see. I'm still on the fence about Poets of the Fall, but I'm going to watch their set because, at a minimum, they're very artistically intriguing. I'm super stoked for Tomorrow's Eve and Caligula's Horse and I'd be paying full ticket price just to see those anyway.

Packgrog

Postby Packgrog » Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:49 pm

Poets of the Fall, Caligula's Horse, and especially Psychotic Waltz are all extremely tempting. Great choices there.

Digital Man

Postby Digital Man » Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:09 pm

You can ask Larry, Todd & Troy about my reaction to the Day 3 & 4 lineup. They said that was the most excited they had ever seen me about a lineup, and I think they are correct. For me, the Day 3 & 4 lineup is probably the strongest ever. What was unique about it was that I knew and liked every single band, with the exception of Poets Of The Fall who I had not heard, but I listened to a bit on Spotify and I'm liking what I hear. There were single bands I've been more excited about (Shadow Gallery, Awaken The Guardian, etc), but the overall lineup is the best ever. As others have said, I have no idea when we'll eat those days.
Güy

Packgrog

Postby Packgrog » Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:18 pm

Sorcerer never quite hooked me, but I *AM* thrilled to see that Andy Engberg will be performing at PPUSA. I remember chatting with Teri about his work with Twilight when we met at the very first PPUSA in Chicago. Good times.

Kez

Postby Kez » Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:39 am

Packy, you should really come back....

Packgrog

Postby Packgrog » Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:17 am

Thanks for saying, but unlikely to happen. Other financial priorities and lowered tolerance/interest WRT concerts in general are big enough reasons. But I'm stoked that those bands will be there. That's awesome.

Cheiron

Postby Cheiron » Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:42 am

Not sure why people think Poets is such a weird fit. ProgPower did away with the 'only metal' years ago when they had Enchant play. This year Subsignal is playing. And Riverside has always been a boundary band. It was amusing how Anathema thought they were out of place at the fest, while most attendees recognized that their current style still was consistent with the fest. Poets of the Fall might sway between alt rock and prog rock, but they will definitely fit sonically with the fest.
Cheiron

Packgrog

Postby Packgrog » Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:29 pm

Cheiron wrote:Not sure why people think Poets is such a weird fit. ProgPower did away with the 'only metal' years ago when they had Enchant play.

Earlier than that. Remember Nightingale at PPUSA2? Not metal AT ALL, and barely prog. I'd say Poets is proggier, even while being somewhat poppy.

Harvester

Postby Harvester » Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:41 pm

Speaking of Poets....

If prog fans heard this song without knowing who it was or any preconceived notions, I'd bet my left nut that many would welcome it with open arms as an amazing unknown prog band.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMt5ZEmyfsA

ToddS
Site Admin

Postby ToddS » Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:01 pm

Harvester wrote:Speaking of Poets....

If prog fans heard this song without knowing who it was or any preconceived notions, I'd bet my left nut that many would welcome it with open arms as an amazing unknown prog band.

I believe I watched every official Poets video recently. I would not have guessed this was them. Very nice song and no way is a phone listen doing it justice. Will listen again on the main system when I get a chance.
"My songs become my freedom, and my freedom turns to gold"

Sir Exar Kun

Postby Sir Exar Kun » Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:31 am

Speaking of Poets....

Great tune..... Sounded a lot like Arena to my ears.

Honestly, are there folks bitching about Poets being on the bill?!? Everything I have sampled so far tells me they fit in nicely with the festival. If I were to bitch about ANYONE, I'd go for Barren Earth LONG before Poets! :)

Harvester

Postby Harvester » Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:59 am

Sir Exar Kun wrote: If I were to bitch about ANYONE, I'd go for Barren Earth LONG before Poets! :)

I had to grin at that. I consider their latest, "A Complex of Cages," an album of the year candidate. It's a great mix of old Opeth and Amorphis. Btw, I'm not sure if you have any tolerance for growls at all, but the vocals are about a 70/30 split throughout the disc in favor of the clean side.

Try this tune:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eh2r_1inkmU

Sir Exar Kun

Postby Sir Exar Kun » Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:58 am

I had to grin at that. I consider their latest, "A Complex of Cages," an album of the year candidate. It's a great mix of old Opeth and Amorphis. Btw, I'm not sure if you have any tolerance for growls at all, but the vocals are about a 70/30 split throughout the disc in favor of the clean side.

Will check it out this afternoon. If not for Redemption, the new Amorphis would be my album of the year. Growls are OK, but (again, in my head anyway) I always associate Barren Earth as a generic death band for some reason.....

Harvester

Postby Harvester » Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:42 pm

Sir Exar Kun wrote:

Will check it out this afternoon. If not for Redemption, the new Amorphis would be my album of the year. Growls are OK, but (again, in my head anyway) I always associate Barren Earth as a generic death band for some reason.....

They were more death than prog with the first release, but they have morphed into something else. The first link I posted was an example of all clean vocals and a softer tune. Here is one more representative of the album: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LcAr1zrqI8E

Sir Exar Kun

Postby Sir Exar Kun » Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:53 am

OK, so..... Eating my words a bit on this Barren Earth. Definitely not what I had expected.... Need to explore them a bit more, but FOR SURE hearing the Opeth/Amorphis mix.

That being said, now it's back to "Carnival of Rust" one more time.

LarryD
Site Admin

Postby LarryD » Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:07 am

I don't think anyone is complaining about Poets of the Fall ..... not that I've read anyway ....... Prog Power has always been known as being a diverse festival, and Glenn makes no bones about pulling in bands that makes us initially go "huh" ? And then we get pleasantly blown away ........ think Anathema / Enchant.

As far as Poets of the Fall -- I'm actually looking forward to this band ....... not my normal listening, but the singer, the lyrics, and something intriguing about the band draws me in ...... right now, I'm listening to Jealous Gods, and it's really great ....... of course, the wife jumped in all over this when she first heard it, and now is asking about the band. Points for me. At this point with Prog Power - I feel like any band in the world can fit into this festival the way Glenn has it set up ....... and we always enjoy it. I think the band will be really great live as well...... it's just another pull a rabbit out the hat for Glenn. Except now it seems really easy for him to do - even though I know it's not ...... :wink:

Locust0311

Postby Locust0311 » Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:44 pm

Its kind of obscure (and not helped by them using a fake band name for a video game on it) but this is my favorite PotF song and I think it would go over a storm next year if they dusted it off...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJvgbNPhASo

Return to “PM: Core”