Shout out to Prog Power attendees.......

The Heart of the Prog/Power Movement

Moderators: TROY or maybe DEBBIE, Stevie WOnder, Digital Man

LarryD
Site Admin

Shout out to Prog Power attendees.......

Postby LarryD » Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:35 am

Yes it's that time of year again ....... another PP upon us marking another year of great music, great times and packing it up and heading South to Atlanta. I'm traveling with injured legs this year - it's possible I'll be the little old man with the cane hobbling around the area. I say it every year - and it's always the same for some reason..... something always happens right around PP time - and once there, it all seems to go away for the time being. It recharges the batteries, re-kindles the love for the music - and re-kindles the outlook.

Of course - it wouldn't be right without a hurricane in the area affecting lots of people - thank you Gordon, which is about to hit Mississippi, Alabama and Louisiana.....hope everyone is able to get thru it, around it, and it doesn't change your PP schedule....... we've all been thru this, and it sucks ..... why should this year be any different ?

Finishing up the packing ..... blasting some Redemption, and sipping some rum. Leaving tomorrow - hope to see some of you there........look for the little guy with the Hawaiian shirt, hobbling around on a cane......

Safe travels to everyone ....... I'm sure we will update you from the show to anyone staying behind....... hold the fort down here, thanks........ oh, btw, we are not staying at the Residence Inn this year...... time for a change. Too pricey again - and the service last year was absolutely horrible..... we are staying on the Atlantic Station side behind the venue this year ...... text one of us and we'll direct you to the Room of Death. :twisted:

See you soon ........

Sir Exar Kun

Re: Shout out to Prog Power attendees.......

Postby Sir Exar Kun » Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:59 am

Hope everyone has a great trip! Wish I could be there this year, but it's not to be. Can't wait to hear everyone's thoughts afterwards, and eagerly looking forward to next year's lineup.

Be safe!
Capitalism: God's way of separating the smart from the poor. -Ron Swanson

Chris R

Postby Chris R » Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:41 am

See yall there
Might bring some jamaican banana rum and a bottle of siesta key coconut rum with me.
Tarja is a female woman

ToddS
Site Admin

Postby ToddS » Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:37 pm

Safe travels everyone. See you all there.
Gordon needs to floor it and get on through here!
"My songs become my freedom, and my freedom turns to gold"

outprogged42

Postby outprogged42 » Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:22 pm

ToddS wrote:Safe travels everyone. See you all there.

Sounds like you're trying to make it no matter what. Hope to see you around, not sure what you look like.

LarryD
Site Admin

Postby LarryD » Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:43 pm

outprogged42 wrote:

Sounds like you're trying to make it no matter what. Hope to see you around, not sure what you look like.

***Just look for the short guy wearing a Hawaiian shirt - sporting a cane or limping badly -- once you find me, you will find everyone else ............. :)

If that doesn't work -- check the sound board area -- that's where we hang --- keep yelling Todd ??? Larry D ?? and one of us will answer......... see you there.

Manuel Cedeno

Postby Manuel Cedeno » Tue Sep 04, 2018 5:08 pm

Safe travels everyone. Looking forward to seeing you all there.

Mardoch

Postby Mardoch » Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:51 pm

Yeah, what a wanker. Looks like it's mostly Mississippi's problem rather than ours, though. We'll see in the morning, but at least over here it seems clear. See you folks tomorrow around this time!

ToddS
Site Admin

Postby ToddS » Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:18 pm

outprogged42 wrote:

Yes I made it when Katrina wiped me out, not letting this lil storm stop me. :)
Seriously it looks like we won’t be affected to much by Gordon. Thankfully. What Larry said. Hope to see you there.
"My songs become my freedom, and my freedom turns to gold"

Chris R

Postby Chris R » Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:16 pm

So far Voyager absolutely owns this fest.
Saw the private Redemption show,y'all going to love this set
And days one and 2 next year,Holy Shit,what does Glenn have planned with that lineup preceding days 3 and 4
Tarja is a female woman

jhallum

Postby jhallum » Sun Sep 09, 2018 3:46 pm

We were wondering if y'all were there, until we saw you a few rows down from us on Friday. Hope you guys had a good fest, it was fun this year! Really looking forward to next year. Nice mix of Prog and Power again.

BC

Postby BC » Sun Sep 09, 2018 6:29 pm

Is it safe to say that Alestorm won the festival?
Is a song titled "Everybody Dies" supposed to sound so happy?
Doom, gloom, the World goes boom! None will be spared, so don't assume. Not ragged clothed nor silver spooned. You're all the same when extinction looms!

Mardoch

Postby Mardoch » Sun Sep 09, 2018 6:58 pm

BC wrote:Is it safe to say that Alestorm won the festival?

Voyager did, imo.

Chris R

Postby Chris R » Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:41 pm

Mardoch wrote:
BC wrote:Is it safe to say that Alestorm won the festival?

Voyager did, imo.

Far as I'm concerned
Redemption/Sons of Appollo were the best 1 2 punch to end a progpower night ever..Redemption I won the festival.
I basicly picked and choosed my sets..every set was a home run I watched
Voyager
Persephone
Redemption
Sons of Apollo
And that VUUR set puts Anneke into the God status for vocalists,and we are talking Freddie Mercury,Dio,Midnight status.
Tarja is a female woman

Cheiron

Postby Cheiron » Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:06 pm

My favorite sets were Redemption and Soen, with a lot of love for the technical plays of SoA. IMO, Soen had the best guitar playing of day 3/4. Bumblefoot is a guitar god, and I loved seeing him for the first time. However, the Soen guitarist played with such grace and beauty that I was a bit overcome at times :)
Cheiron

LarryD
Site Admin

Postby LarryD » Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:32 am

Voyager - Redemption - Vuur. Wow !!!!!

Kez

Postby Kez » Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:49 am

I made it there and back safely, and had a great time, as usual. This was probably my lowest energy PP ever, as my spine and my mind are not exactly treating me kindly of late.

Enjoyed the hell out of the bands I wanted to see, and didn't venture near the venue for any others, mostly.
Triosphere was a nice surprise. I thought they put on a very solid set.
Voyager was great as always, but too loud from where I was sitting.
Eclipse sounded fantastic, singer nails it, a shame they wasted so much time and got cut short (clearly not understanding that this is not your typical half-ass festival, that doesn't follow a schedule).
Labyrinth did complete justice to RtHD, and I enjoyed every moment. Rob Tyrant is an alien with that voice.
Redemption SOUNDED great, but Tom really needs to put in more lyric study before filming a DVD. Him reading from the tablet completely killed the mood that should be generated by Nick's music. Sad.
Sons of Apollo were fine, and expectedly wanky. Nice to see Derek again. He certainly fits with this band. Enjoyed their performance, but was not blown away, for whatever reason.
Soen started strong, and had me very interested, for a band I had not done my homework on, but then lost me with the last two selections being slow droners, aside from some tasty guitar work. Maybe just bad set list selection.

With next year's lineup announcement, I hope to muster a bit more energy for the next one, as Tomorrow's Eve, Pretty Maids, Subsignal, POETS OF THE FALL, Threshold, and Seventh Wonder have me as excited as I've ever been for an upcoming fest.

Hope the new and improved Room of Death treated you all well. The Res. wasn't the same without you. :)

Chris R

Postby Chris R » Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:59 am

Oh..the duck
Dont forget the duck
Tarja is a female woman

LarryD
Site Admin

Postby LarryD » Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:13 pm

Kez --

Yeah sorry for that ..... we didn't stay at the RI this year and it was rough going for some us because of that. We did miss everyone who we see, and didn't see you guys at the show at all ....... hopefully that will change next year. It was a very strange year for us this time around......

Redemption SOUNDED great, but Tom really needs to put in more lyric study before filming a DVD. Him reading from the tablet completely killed the mood that should be generated by Nick's music. Sad.

*** We will start another post on some of these bands -- the only thing I can say is that it was only the 2nd time they have played together, so we have to give him that.....I knew he was nervous, but I kept saying " you're Tom Englund bro - no need to be nervous " ...... but I completely understood where he was coming from ... that said, this was one of my favorite shows.......

Sir Exar Kun

Postby Sir Exar Kun » Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:30 pm

*** We will start another post on some of these bands -- the only thing I can say is that it was only the 2nd time they have played together, so we have to give him that.....I knew he was nervous, but I kept saying " you're Tom Englund bro - no need to be nervous " ...... but I completely understood where he was coming from ... that said, this was one of my favorite shows.......

I watched a couple of the videos online, and Tom just struck me as uncomfortable not having a guitar on him. Being someone who is almost always playing when not singing, it's going to be awkward for him at first figuring out what to do with himself on stage while not singing...... Personally, I say just have him play guitar ALSO. No such thing as too many guitarists! :)
Capitalism: God's way of separating the smart from the poor. -Ron Swanson

Return to “PM: Core”