The Forgotten Heroes of Prog Metal Thread

The Heart of the Prog/Power Movement

Moderators: Mardoch, Digital Man

GaetanL

Re: The Forgotten Heroes of Prog Metal Thread

Post by GaetanL » Sat Mar 30, 2019 10:43 am

introclaus wrote:I remember their debut (Mattias did the artwork for it) and it didn't impress me much - just listened to the song you put up from this second album and it's a bit better than what I remember from the debut but still doesn't really do it for me. I'll give it another spin.
This album "Psychomedia" is much better than their debut "Outer Reality" (at least to me).

Another ones:

Familiar:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGgyfLfwfpE

E-Life:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XowJ3bk-KuA
Gaétan
Musique Progressive Dynamique
Site consacré au métal progressif, au néo-prog et au hard rock
http://www.musiqueprog.net

kas2112

Post by kas2112 » Tue Apr 02, 2019 5:33 am

Hello, my first post after some years of lurking! I don't know if we fit the criteria of the thread title (we were hardly heroes but we're definitely forgotten!) but my band Horizon's End was at some point one of the most promising acts in my country (Greece). We had two releases "Sculpture on Ice" in 1998 and "Concrete Surreal" in 2001 and we made a third album in 2006 which never got released.
This is a song from our first release
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmgKSQbqFR8

this from our second one
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6Io7AF__FE

We even made a clip from our never to be released third album which can be viewd here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYFlV_NCbXM

Afterwards our drummer along with the guitarist and the bass player formed Wardrum which is an excellent power/prog band now with 4 albums under their belt. These last couple of years these guys helped me record some new material which hopefully will see the light of day this year (I'm the keyboard player by the way) and which I hope will be of interest to the readers of this forum. Cheers!

Sakis Bandis

BumZen

Post by BumZen » Thu May 09, 2019 3:57 am

kas2112 wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 5:33 am
this from our second one
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6Io7AF__FE
This sounds great. Thanks for sharing!
Skambamse

Chris R

Post by Chris R » Thu May 09, 2019 7:13 am

I'll be getting details on the new Inner Strength very shortly...

If I wasn't in Mallorca last week I probably would have flown up to seen their reunion show
Tarja is a female woman

MJ Brady

Post by MJ Brady » Thu May 30, 2019 10:12 pm

Sunblaze - Illuminating Heights - 1997 - Germany

Performer Credits
Matthias Pfaff vocals
Martin Enke guitars
Michèl Kalifa bass
Jochen Donauer drums
Jörg Enke keyboards
Elizabeth Ramriez violins
Carsten Donauer clarinet, sax
Barbara Wagner flute

Track List

Sunblaze (14:09)
Origin
Alive
Sea of Silk
Scent of a Blossom
Illumination
Distant Reaches (10:06)

Reviewed by MJBrady on 13 Mar 2005
Interesting German band that has only this 2 song EP as evidence of their existance. The bands' website promised a new cd back in March of 2002, but nothing has been released nor updated at the site. Sunblaze at least left this bit of music to stir the tastes of the few that were able to hear it. Though the cd is only 2 songs, they are of epical length, with a combined time of just over 24 minutes. What this band does that makes them interesting and unique, is blending the use of natural orchestral instrumentation with the typical rock band foundations. The end result is a very symphonic approach to what can be described as a hybrid of the progressive metal genre.

Led by keyboardist - Jörg Enke, he intertwines his synths and keysounds over the top of the intricate arrangements, giving the music a more progrock oriented feel, in fact the bulk of the music would seem to be more of a progrock sound, if not the vocals of - Matthias Pfaff, who has a voice that is atypical of a progressive or power metal band. In some ways I feel that he keeps this music from being top notch, not that he is bad vocalist, just that his voice is an aquired taste.
MJ

MJ Brady

Post by MJ Brady » Thu May 30, 2019 10:15 pm

Koyaanisqatsy - From the Yearning to Burst the Perpetual Circle - 2000 - Germany

Koyaanisqatsy biography
Koyaanisqatsy is a very interesting progressive metal band formed in 1994 in Munich. The band name was taken from the movie of the same name, and it means 'Life out of balance' in the language of the Hopi Indians. They release so far one single album in 2000 with a quite strange and long name, 'From the Yearning to Burst the Perpetual Circle'. The musicianship is top notch, and the ideas gathered here are among the most interesting in prog metal zone. A quite forgotten band that for sure needs a far more wider recognition.

Studio Album, released in 2000

Songs / Tracks Listing

1. Overture 3030 (03:33)
2. Memoria (10:39)
3. Way of Thoughts (08:52)
4. The Perfect Lie (12:45)
5. Cosmic Space Dive (12:37)
6. Golden Dawn (17:56)

Total Time 66:22

Line-up / Musicians

Wolfgang Schneider / Keyboard
Markus Glanz / Guitar
Stefan Petzold / Drums
Gaby Koss / Vocals (new member)
Michael Scherz / Bass

Releases information

Released in 2000 CD
MJ

Random Axe

Post by Random Axe » Fri May 31, 2019 6:46 pm

MJ Brady wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 10:15 pm
Koyaanisqatsy - From the Yearning to Burst the Perpetual Circle - 2000 - Germany

Koyaanisqatsy biography
Koyaanisqatsy is a very interesting progressive metal band formed in 1994 in Munich. The band name was taken from the movie of the same name, and it means 'Life out of balance' in the language of the Hopi Indians. They release so far one single album in 2000 with a quite strange and long name, 'From the Yearning to Burst the Perpetual Circle'. The musicianship is top notch, and the ideas gathered here are among the most interesting in prog metal zone. A quite forgotten band that for sure needs a far more wider recognition.

Songs / Tracks Listing

Line-up / Musicians

Markus Glanz / Guitar
Stefan Petzold / Drums
Michael Scherz / Bass

Releases information

Released in 2000 CD
Someone burned me a copy of this many years ago and I thought it was pretty awesome. I have zero clue what I did with that CDR and this is likely a difficult discogs/ebay search and probably pricey. Thank you for reminding me of this and for spelling it correctly. Now I can search properly but in vein.

elendil

Post by elendil » Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:18 am

I don't know if Athena counts as "forgotten," but they certainly never got the attention that Labyrinth did. But A New Religion? has to be one of the best Italian prog metal albums ever. "Soul Sailor" is my favorite track, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AulBEoIGpi8 .

Of course, the best Italian progressive metal album ever is Novembrine Waltz. It's too bad Novembre decided to go in a gothic direction rather than continue to explore their progressive side.

MidKnight

Post by MidKnight » Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:36 am

Athena - I listen to that cd often to this day!

For me, that chorus to " My Silence " is just straight up outstanding, how Fabio sings that with that groove......not to mention that nice little run of music prior to him even coming in........

I was thinking about this thread last Friday and a band that popped into my head was: Ram-Zet.......a shame that they called it quits. Not too sure how much mention they got around here ( forgive me, it has been a while ) but I enjoyed their style and execution. Granted, the vocals are not for everyone but I am sure there are a few on the board that liked them as well.
I never got a hotdog! (or that Mini 5 track DTM cd )

Sir Exar Kun

Post by Sir Exar Kun » Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:38 am

I don't know if Athena counts as "forgotten," but they certainly never got the attention that Labyrinth did. But A New Religion? has to be one of the best Italian prog metal albums ever. "Soul Sailor" is my favorite track, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AulBEoIGpi8 .

Of course, the best Italian progressive metal album ever is Novembrine Waltz. It's too bad Novembre decided to go in a gothic direction rather than continue to explore their progressive side.
Good call! To me, this is far and away Fabio's finest performance.
Capitalism: God's way of separating the smart from the poor. -Ron Swanson

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Sat Aug 10, 2019 5:38 pm

MJ Brady wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 10:12 pm

Sunblaze - Illuminating Heights - 1997 - Germany

Performer Credits
Matthias Pfaff vocals
Martin Enke guitars
Michèl Kalifa bass
Jochen Donauer drums
Jörg Enke keyboards
Elizabeth Ramriez violins
Carsten Donauer clarinet, sax
Barbara Wagner flute

Track List
Sunblaze (14:09)
Origin
Alive
Sea of Silk
Scent of a Blossom
Illumination
Distant Reaches (10:06)

Reviewed by MJBrady on 13 Mar 2005
Interesting German band that has only this 2 song EP as evidence of their existance. The bands' website promised a new cd back in March of 2002, but nothing has been released nor updated at the site. Sunblaze at least left this bit of music to stir the tastes of the few that were able to hear it. Though the cd is only 2 songs, they are of epical length, with a combined time of just over 24 minutes. What this band does that makes them interesting and unique, is blending the use of natural orchestral instrumentation with the typical rock band foundations. The end result is a very symphonic approach to what can be described as a hybrid of the progressive metal genre.

Led by keyboardist - Jörg Enke, he intertwines his synths and keysounds over the top of the intricate arrangements, giving the music a more progrock oriented feel, in fact the bulk of the music would seem to be more of a progrock sound, if not the vocals of - Matthias Pfaff, who has a voice that is atypical of a progressive or power metal band. In some ways I feel that he keeps this music from being top notch, not that he is bad vocalist, just that his voice is an aquired taste.
SUNBLAZE - Illuminating Heights

This is one of the best "demos" that were ever done within the progressive metal genre - this two-song CD is just absolutely awesome. I loved how they were able to create complex music, blend in outside influences (classical, folk) and yet make it all seem like one cohesive unit. Too bad they never got around to make a full album.
Last edited by introclaus on Sat Aug 10, 2019 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Claus Jensen

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Sat Aug 10, 2019 5:44 pm

elendil wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:18 am
-------

ATHENA - A New Religion

Yes, this is a great album, and one of the best performances by Fabio Lione. I did feel the album went a bit too far into the power metal genre, (which the third album completely embraced - and I definitely don't like that one nearly as much).

ATHENA - Inside, the Moon"

However, the first album "Inside, the Moon" from 1995 is actually my personal favorite of theirs, and my choice for a "forgotten heroes" disc! Much more progressive and has a strong early-Dream Theater vibe going. The vocalist is quite pitchy and definitely the low point here, but then again, so was Charlie Dominici on the first DT which still is a true masterpiece, so ... :)

https://youtu.be/LJte-gdXgdQ

-------

MIDIAN - Soulinside

The day I bought Athena "inside, the moon" was a great day, because I also bought Midian "Soulinside" same day. I don't know why I remember that, but it is clear as if it was today that I picked up these two albums together. Midian was also typical Italian prog of the time (1994/1995), perhaps a bit more melodic/RUSH than all out prog/DREAM THEATER but had an extra facet to their music by having a full time violinist in the band, which gave them an interesting sound. Again, the singer is the weak spot, but I kind of like his voice actually ...

https://youtu.be/QX997VpC0yk
https://youtu.be/ATbTR94kfJQ
Claus Jensen

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Sat Aug 10, 2019 6:15 pm

GONE - Weakness Within Living Memory

Release in 1997 by the band themselves, this album is quite possible one of the most obscure prog metal albums ever. Heck, I didn't know about the band at the time, and it wasn't until 5-10 years later Ken Golden told me about them. Every time I listen to the disc I kick myself for not getting into these guys earlier, because this is one really great one-off disc. It's progressive metal with kind of a dark / emotional edge too it; somewhere between Queensryche, Dream Theater, Vauxdvihl ... Too bad these guys didn't do more than this album, as it would have been interesting to see them do more (especially with a label backing them).

https://youtu.be/351bFnf32WA
Claus Jensen

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Sat Aug 10, 2019 6:22 pm

MJ Brady wrote:

Koyaanisqatsy biography

Songs / Tracks Listing

Line-up / Musicians
Markus Glanz / Guitar
Stefan Petzold / Drums
Michael Scherz / Bass

Released in 2000 CD
KOYAANISQATSY - From the Yearning to Burst

Absolutely wonderful disc, and one of the very few instrumental albums I can listen to from start to finish. Again a band I heard about through Ken Golden, (thanks Ken!).

https://youtu.be/BwhCYO7pCqQ
Claus Jensen

LASERCD

Post by LASERCD » Sat Aug 10, 2019 8:09 pm

introclaus wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 6:22 pm
MJ Brady wrote:

Koyaanisqatsy biography

Songs / Tracks Listing

Line-up / Musicians
Markus Glanz / Guitar
Stefan Petzold / Drums
Michael Scherz / Bass

Released in 2000 CD
KOYAANISQATSY - From the Yearning to Burst

Absolutely wonderful disc, and one of the very few instrumental albums I can listen to from start to finish. Again a band I heard about through Ken Golden, (thanks Ken!).

https://youtu.be/BwhCYO7pCqQ
You’re welcome. I tried to work with them but they were a bit crazy. I can put up with difficult. I can’t handle crazy.

T'ski

Post by T'ski » Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:32 am

introclaus wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 6:15 pm

GONE - Weakness Within Living Memory

Release in 1997 by the band themselves, this album is quite possible one of the most obscure prog metal albums ever. Heck, I didn't know about the band at the time, and it wasn't until 5-10 years later Ken Golden told me about them. Every time I listen to the disc I kick myself for not getting into these guys earlier, because this is one really great one-off disc. It's progressive metal with kind of a dark / emotional edge too it; somewhere between Queensryche, Dream Theater, Vauxdvihl ... Too bad these guys didn't do more than this album, as it would have been interesting to see them do more (especially with a label backing them).

https://youtu.be/351bFnf32WA
after reading your description I clicked the link and discovered I've heard the the lead track sometime in the past. someone obviously has brought this album up before, perhaps it was you. good listen.

LarryD
Site Admin

Post by LarryD » Sun Aug 11, 2019 1:36 pm

This is indeed an excellent disc from the time ....... I love it to this day, my only issue with is the excessive use of reverb, and I'm a reverb junkie ...... they really overdid it..... other than that, one of the greats from the past. I actually like these one-off bands from the day, it makes having it that much more enjoyable. (here is looking at you Sunblaze).

Testofwills

Post by Testofwills » Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:10 pm

introclaus wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 4:41 pm
GaetanL wrote: Power Of Omens - Eyes Of The Oracle

POWER OF OMENS - Eyes of the Oracle

I loved this disc when it came out - I think I rated it 9.5 / 10 in Metalized Magazine back in the day. Good times spent with this disc over the years.
The technical level on this album is through the roof, yet the melodies are still at the forefront, and that's what makes it such a great disc. It's like if Queensryche decided to play Dream Theater styles prog and then add a layer of Watchtower quirkiness on top. Chris Salinas obviously were a bit of a dark horse back then with his vocals not always in a "comfortable range", but man, when he hit those super high notes it was freakin' awesome. I've heard a lot of people complain about Alex' drums sounding like they were recorded for a different song/album than where they ended up, but I think that's part of the charm, that he just does exactly what he feels the music needs, and not just be one of those drummers that plays straight ahead simple patterns ... it's super challenging to listen to, and I can only imagine (and admire) how difficult it must have been to record. I gave the album another couple of spins this week and it still holds up nicely. Perhaps the production is a bit on the thin side (after all, it was a band on a tiny independent label), but overall it still packs a great punch, and to be honest, not many bands have reached these levels of complexity in music since then while retaining the melodic side of the song writing.
oh man im right there with,,,My fave disc of that year....Hell even my nickname is after their song testofwills..I know alot of people were put off by the over the top style but when they hit it those melodies were unreal...

Testofwills

Post by Testofwills » Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:16 pm

My pic is Kanadian band Kingsbane....from 1991..They didnt really sound like anyone and had their own take on melo prog....I got to see them like 8 or 9 times and even seen them open for Dream Theater on the Images tour....They had a small cult following in Germany and was voted demo of the year in one of their bigger fanzines..Ralf Walter even put this cassette on cd for me way back at the first Progpower in Chicago...They changed their name to In The Name and went in a more modern direction and as a bonus put some of these demo songs on as a bonus.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1j5hvSfZcA

Random Axe

Post by Random Axe » Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:08 pm

Testofwills wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:10 pm
introclaus wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 4:41 pm
GaetanL wrote: Power Of Omens - Eyes Of The Oracle

POWER OF OMENS - Eyes of the Oracle

oh man im right there with,,,My fave disc of that year....Hell even my nickname is after their song testofwills..I know alot of people were put off by the over the top style but when they hit it those melodies were unreal...

I absolutely love this album. Yes, the production is not great but I don't care. They set the bar for merging the complex and melodic that few bands still to this day have yet to reach.

LarryD
Site Admin

Post by LarryD » Fri Dec 20, 2019 6:21 pm

CARISMA / 1825 .........

A pop band that decided to write a killer prog metal disc ...... go figure. I say pop - their EPs sound like pop ....... somewhere along the line someone wanted to write this prog metal disc, and a beauty it is ...... back in the day, everyone always compared them to Queensryche ..... the singer and some guitar riffs pay a slight homage to QR, but nothing more. Some of the chord patterns do remind me of a QR style as well .......it's not a heavy disc by any means, and it has a strange production.....each and every instrument is recorded at a different level (especially the kick drum) and the guitar tone is nothing like I've ever heard......its tinny and without bottom end......

Yet somehow, this manages to work ....... it has a cult-like status in the prog metal world, and to this day, I can put the disc on and enjoy it without feeling like it's dated.....it has something to do with the beautiful melodies and sad story / concept .......

I popped in this today and it was magical ...... a one-off disc, you can still locate this somewhere in the world .......

GaetanL

Post by GaetanL » Fri Dec 20, 2019 7:04 pm

LarryD wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 6:21 pm
CARISMA / 1825 .........

A pop band that decided to write a killer prog metal disc ...... go figure. I say pop - their EPs sound like pop ....... somewhere along the line someone wanted to write this prog metal disc, and a beauty it is ...... back in the day, everyone always compared them to Queensryche ..... the singer and some guitar riffs pay a slight homage to QR, but nothing more. Some of the chord patterns do remind me of a QR style as well .......it's not a heavy disc by any means, and it has a strange production.....each and every instrument is recorded at a different level (especially the kick drum) and the guitar tone is nothing like I've ever heard......its tinny and without bottom end......

Yet somehow, this manages to work ....... it has a cult-like status in the prog metal world, and to this day, I can put the disc on and enjoy it without feeling like it's dated.....it has something to do with the beautiful melodies and sad story / concept .......

I popped in this today and it was magical ...... a one-off disc, you can still locate this somewhere in the world .......
I agree with you without a doubt that 1825 is their best but I do like the EP "In A Moonland". It doesn't sound too much poppy to me. I would say very good hard rock.
Gaétan
Musique Progressive Dynamique
Site consacré au métal progressif, au néo-prog et au hard rock
http://www.musiqueprog.net

Random Axe

Post by Random Axe » Fri Dec 20, 2019 8:43 pm

Larry, I just ordered this. After 20 years of you telling me how good it is I pulled the trigger tonight. Good price too.

LarryD
Site Admin

Post by LarryD » Sat Dec 21, 2019 7:03 am

Random Axe wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 8:43 pm
Larry, I just ordered this. After 20 years of you telling me how good it is I pulled the trigger tonight. Good price too.
****Scott -- I could go on and on about this disc ..... but I will wait to hear your thoughts on it, good or bad ........ just keep in mind as to how to old it is, and it's a concept disc and needs to be listened to intently, not meant for background music ........ the payoff is worth it, even by today's standards....... no many people complained too much about the guitar tone - it does suck, but I think people let it go for the sake of the subtle greatness of the rest of it ...... the disc has a strange effect on those who were and are drawn to it for whatever reason .........if Uncle Claus reads this, he would have some cool things to say about it better than I can ....

Random Axe

Post by Random Axe » Sat Dec 21, 2019 11:26 am

Good or bad, it's a nice rarity that'll go into the collection. With shipping from Italy it was like 24 bucks, so not a huge amount of risk. I've spent way more than that on a terrible meal. What I heard sounded pretty cool. I'm anticipating a typical mid 90s prog sound like Altura or Quiet Room. production wise.

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Sat Dec 21, 2019 4:35 pm

LarryD wrote:
CARISMA / 1825 .........

CARISMA - 1825

I'm on board with everything Larry says here - it's one of those "one-off" albums that just happened to fall in our laps back then ('95) and made a name for itself within our little circle of prog metal nerds. I was listening to it the other day and I think it has stood the test of very well. Yes, production is definitely not "metal", but neither were the band. In fact, they were a rock band out of Denmark, who made a concept album based upon a Hans Christian Andersen fairytale and the end result was "1825". Their EP prior to "1825" was quite subpar rock (garage band quality), and the 3-song single released a year after "1825" wasn't any good ... much more of a pop-rock style. They (the band) seemed as surprised by the reactions to the album as any. Two of the guys, I think it was the keyboardist and the guitarist, went on to become quite a successful songwriter/producer team in the pop-/dance-music scene (those two guys had a million-$ deal with Warner Music). I was in touch with the singer a bunch of years later, trying to have him be part of a prog/power metal band I was working with , but it never came into fruition.
Claus Jensen

Locust0311

Post by Locust0311 » Mon Dec 23, 2019 10:22 pm

How's this for out of left field? Anyone remember the band Timesphere? They independently released an awesome album in 1998 called Tranquility to Tempest and now, 21 years later, they've released a follow up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDlCujXBK9c

Stefan

Post by Stefan » Tue Dec 31, 2019 4:37 am

LarryD wrote:
CARISMA / 1825 .........

Still one of my favorite albums. Those melodies.....still in My top-10!

Lionheart

Post by Lionheart » Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:00 am

Circle Of Illusion - Jeremias (2013)

Anybody remember this one? This disc got the attention from most, for its incorporation of "disco" elements mixed in with its prog rock opera theatrical story-line. This Austrian progressive metal band that features no less than 8 members, including one male and two female lead singers. This is the mastermind of leader and keyboardist, Gerald Peters. Of course, the disco elements were all the talk at that time as I recall, but that was just one of the incorporations in to the type of music that they were aiming for, mixing in eclectic moments of symphonic prog (rock & metal), jazz/funk, electronica, R&B (the vocals), trip-hop, and cinematic/soundtrack embellishments. You can hear the influences from bands like Frank Zappa, Pain Of Salvaton, Stolen Babies, Dream Theater, and any big score from the famous soundtrack pioneers. The arrangements are very professionally and immaculately done. Normally with this much going on, this type of ambitious project usually falls short because it feels like individual parts are just mixed in for the sake of showing off the instrumentation (sacrificing the making of a song), but in the case of Jeremias, it actually feels like they are aiming to craft a well thought out idea in the form of each individual song. That's what makes this different from other similar attempts at this type of project, although I must say that I don't know that I've ever quite heard all the different styles on display that I do here...certainly not in one song. So that's certainly saying something. There's also great use of viola that I always feel is underutilized in contemporary prog metal. That added to what has already been mentioned give this a special feel. All 3 singers are very talented, and although some pundits might be turned off by the R&B style singing, that it works so flawlessly with some of the hard edged guitars and keyboard/orchestration interplay that it becomes an afterthought about the unique vocals that you hardly ever (if any) hear paired to progressive metal. One final thought about the disco fusion elements...they are mostly in the first few songs with it's late 70's style dance beats, and become a bit less as the album progresses. When folks first heard this, and did not like the disco elements off the bat, they might have been turned off thinking that the whole album featured these stylistic beats throughout, but it's just a portion of the sound. Give it a chance, and listen to this with some nice headphones to hear all that is going on. The band is on indefinite hold due to other commitments and all that is involved in bringing the members together, so a follow up to this only album from them is unknown. That, and Gerald Peters has been on tour with the Cirque du Soleil tour, which is a huge undertaking per a post on their page last year.

Sir Exar Kun

Post by Sir Exar Kun » Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:02 am

Anybody remember this one? This disc got the attention from most, for its incorporation of "disco" elements mixed in with its prog rock opera theatrical story-line. This Austrian progressive metal band that features no less than 8 members, including one male and two female lead singers. This is the mastermind of leader and keyboardist, Gerald Peters. Of course, the disco elements were all the talk at that time as I recall, but that was just one of the incorporations in to the type of music that they were aiming for, mixing in eclectic moments of symphonic prog (rock & metal), jazz/funk, electronica, R&B (the vocals), trip-hop, and cinematic/soundtrack embellishments. You can hear the influences from bands like Frank Zappa, Pain Of Salvaton, Stolen Babies, Dream Theater, and any big score from the famous soundtrack pioneers. The arrangements are very professionally and immaculately done. Normally with this much going on, this type of ambitious project usually falls short because it feels like individual parts are just mixed in for the sake of showing off the instrumentation (sacrificing the making of a song), but in the case of Jeremias, it actually feels like they are aiming to craft a well thought out idea in the form of each individual song. That's what makes this different from other similar attempts at this type of project, although I must say that I don't know that I've ever quite heard all the different styles on display that I do here...certainly not in one song. So that's certainly saying something. There's also great use of viola that I always feel is underutilized in contemporary prog metal. That added to what has already been mentioned give this a special feel. All 3 singers are very talented, and although some pundits might be turned off by the R&B style singing, that it works so flawlessly with some of the hard edged guitars and keyboard/orchestration interplay that it becomes an afterthought about the unique vocals that you hardly ever (if any) hear paired to progressive metal. One final thought about the disco fusion elements...they are mostly in the first few songs with it's late 70's style dance beats, and become a bit less as the album progresses. When folks first heard this, and did not like the disco elements off the bat, they might have been turned off thinking that the whole album featured these stylistic beats throughout, but it's just a portion of the sound. Give it a chance, and listen to this with some nice headphones to hear all that is going on. The band is on indefinite hold due to other commitments and all that is involved in bringing the members together, so a follow up to this only album from them is unknown. That, and Gerald Peters has been on tour with the Cirque du Soleil tour, which is a huge undertaking per a post on their page last year.
I remember it, but not fondly. I struggled to get through even a single pass through the disc. To me, it felt incredibly sterile..... Like someone who read about what prog is supposed to be in a book without ever hearing it or being a fan of the genre, and went out and crafted something based on description alone..... It wasn't even the disco elements (although those were a bit jarring).

To each their own though..... Glad someone really enjoyed this one.

LarryD
Site Admin

Post by LarryD » Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:14 am

Anyone remember this one ? I will never forget the day I heard this one and how it affected me. I have so many stories to tell about this disc it would take up too much reading..... suffice it to say that it is one of my desert island discs. If it has already been posted here, I apologize, but you can never have too many posts about this disc..... Seeing them at Prog Power way back in the day was a bucket list show for me.

T'ski

Post by T'ski » Sat Feb 08, 2020 3:21 pm

Behind was one of the first CD's I ordered via the internet back in the day. Always a good listen.

It led me to some digging on youtube and I came across an acoustic version of "Why" from their Younique album with Andre Matos... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOExccU9q_E

Sir Exar Kun

Post by Sir Exar Kun » Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:36 am

Anyone remember this one ? I will never forget the day I heard this one and how it affected me. I have so many stories to tell about this disc it would take up too much reading..... suffice it to say that it is one of my desert island discs. If it has already been posted here, I apologize, but you can never have too many posts about this disc..... Seeing them at Prog Power way back in the day was a bucket list show for me.
Absolutely brilliant album front to back. I know quite a few were turned off by "Younique" as it REALLY incorporated a much grungier sound, but to me that album has a lot of highlights also (God's Funeral, Nothing). "Ultima Ratio" was more in the "Behind" vein and is also criminally underrated. I'd LOVE to see a Superior reunion at some point.....

Sir Exar Kun

Post by Sir Exar Kun » Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:37 am

Behind was one of the first CD's I ordered via the internet back in the day. Always a good listen.

It led me to some digging on youtube and I came across an acoustic version of "Why" from their Younique album with Andre Matos... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOExccU9q_E
Yep, this was a bonus track on the Japanese version of "Younique" that I was crazy enough to splurge on back in the day.... Being a HUGE Andre fan this was a must.

AllMediaReviews

Post by AllMediaReviews » Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:32 am

just quoting from a few pages back.
AllMediaReviews wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:30 pm
Sorry, but I always found Superior's greatest record to be Younique. I love the various influences they brought in.

Behind is still great, and even though I found the concept a bit melodramatic, I still enjoy a lot of Ultima Ratio.

I wrote something in my blog about Superior about 10 years ago, which it's funny how time flies. It's too bad about that album "New World Order" never coming out as they wrote and recorded it.

http://allmediareviews.blogspot.com/201 ... ntial.html