The Forgotten Heroes of Prog Metal Thread

The Heart of the Prog/Power Movement

Moderators: Mardoch, Digital Man

Sir Exar Kun

Re: The Forgotten Heroes of Prog Metal Thread

Post by Sir Exar Kun » Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:23 am

Just pulled this one out this morning for the ride into work.....

Creation's End "A New Beginning" is one of those that sort of slipped under the radar for me. When I popped it in today, I honestly didn't remember ANYTHING about it, but as soon as it got two songs in I was hooked. Nothing groundbreaking, but they take the heavier Dream Theater style and execute it meticulously. This was on Sensory back in 2010, and I seem to recall getting quite a few debut albums around the same time, and just lost track of this one in the mix. Mike DiMeo on vocals has a bit more of a raspy voice than I generally prefer, and overall comes across as a bit of a second rate Chity Sompala here, but not enough to detract from the music. Vocal melodies are subtly engaging, but I find them stuck in my head hours later. Most of the songwriting is from Rudy Albert (ex-Zandelle, if anyone remembers them?), with Marco Sfogli on guitars, and it's really the strength of the musical compositions that shine here. It's slightly on the heavier side, but not in any sort of brutal way..... Just more akin to DT during "Train of Thought" or "Systematic Chaos". Lots of chops, but without getting overly noodly either.

What I find funny is that I had just written yesterday about Thoughts Factory being the sort of album that might not have stood out from the pack 15 years ago, but today shines as there just aren't that many "new" bands putting out albums that sound like this..... Creation's End might be a perfect example of the juxtaposition of that..... An album that's actually really solid, but got lost in the white noise of there being so many albums like this at the time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbfJCbFeN6Q
Capitalism: God's way of separating the smart from the poor. -Ron Swanson

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:16 pm

Sir Exar Kun wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:23 am

Creation's End "A New Beginning" is one of those that sort of slipped under the radar for me. When I popped it in today, I honestly didn't remember ANYTHING about it, but as soon as it got two songs in I was hooked. Nothing groundbreaking, but they take the heavier Dream Theater style and execute it meticulously. This was on Sensory back in 2010, and I seem to recall getting quite a few debut albums around the same time, and just lost track of this one in the mix. Mike DiMeo on vocals has a bit more of a raspy voice than I generally prefer, and overall comes across as a bit of a second rate Chity Sompala here, but not enough to detract from the music. Vocal melodies are subtly engaging, but I find them stuck in my head hours later. Most of the songwriting is from Rudy Albert (ex-Zandelle, if anyone remembers them?), with Marco Sfogli on guitars, and it's really the strength of the musical compositions that shine here. It's slightly on the heavier side, but not in any sort of brutal way..... Just more akin to DT during "Train of Thought" or "Systematic Chaos". Lots of chops, but without getting overly noodly either.

What I find funny is that I had just written yesterday about Thoughts Factory being the sort of album that might not have stood out from the pack 15 years ago, but today shines as there just aren't that many "new" bands putting out albums that sound like this..... Creation's End might be a perfect example of the juxtaposition of that..... An album that's actually really solid, but got lost in the white noise of there being so many albums like this at the time.

Great album, great times...

I was managing the band then (I actually also did the booklet design) and worked closely with Ken on the release and promotion. What killed the band (and their releases) was the fact that they didn’t tour. We did get them some good solid tour offers but they were “too expensive” for the band to jump on and like we’ve seen many times before, that means end of the line for a new band.
Claus Jensen

Sir Exar Kun

Post by Sir Exar Kun » Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:56 pm

I was managing the band then (I actually also did the booklet design) and worked closely with Ken on the release and promotion. What killed the band (and their releases) was the fact that they didn’t tour. We did get them some good solid tour offers but they were “too expensive” for the band to jump on and like we’ve seen many times before, that means end of the line for a new band.
Artwork is phenomenal on the booklet, actually meant to call that part out.... I didn't realize until today that they had a second album.... How is that one? Also strong?
Capitalism: God's way of separating the smart from the poor. -Ron Swanson

LarryD
Site Admin

Post by LarryD » Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:49 pm

Creations End was one of those discs I liked but not loved ....... I don't remember why. It's starting to bother me that I don't remember these things ..... I'm chalking it up to too much music, not too many years ....... :wink:

LASERCD

Post by LASERCD » Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:52 pm

introclaus wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:16 pm
Sir Exar Kun wrote:

Great album, great times...

It was a very frustrating experience. As Claus said, without any touring these bands sink like a stone without leaving much of a trace. The lifespan of an album used to be calculated in years. Now its 6 months if you are lucky. If a band won’t play out its over before it starts.

Locust0311

Post by Locust0311 » Sat Feb 15, 2020 2:02 pm

Sir Exar Kun wrote:

I just looked on their Facebook page and they replied to someone about a year ago saying they had their next 3 albums written and were in pre-production on the 3rd (but life stuff was slowing things down). We'll see if anything further materializes but I did like both the first 2 albums and would like to hear more from them.

jhallum

Post by jhallum » Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:41 am

LarryD wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:14 am

Anyone remember this one ? I will never forget the day I heard this one and how it affected me. I have so many stories to tell about this disc it would take up too much reading..... suffice it to say that it is one of my desert island discs. If it has already been posted here, I apologize, but you can never have too many posts about this disc..... Seeing them at Prog Power way back in the day was a bucket list show for me.
I have such fond memories of this album and this band. Prog Power II was so much more memorable having sat and chatted with several of the band members during the festival (remember that pre-show at the Masqurade that year?). That was the first sense that I had that Prog Power was going to be a special phenomenon, being able to chat with a member of a band that you only had been able to email back and forth with on ytsejam was a great experience for a 20 year younger me.

LASERCD

Post by LASERCD » Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:58 pm

jhallum wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:41 am
LarryD wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:14 am

Anyone remember this one ? I will never forget the day I heard this one and how it affected me. I have so many stories to tell about this disc it would take up too much reading..... suffice it to say that it is one of my desert island discs. If it has already been posted here, I apologize, but you can never have too many posts about this disc..... Seeing them at Prog Power way back in the day was a bucket list show for me.
I have such fond memories of this album and this band. Prog Power II was so much more memorable having sat and chatted with several of the band members during the festival (remember that pre-show at the Masqurade that year?). That was the first sense that I had that Prog Power was going to be a special phenomenon, being able to chat with a member of a band that you only had been able to email back and forth with on ytsejam was a great experience for a 20 year younger me.
SHHHHHH...don't tell anyone but I have the digital soundboard master of their ProgPower performance.

venidominefan

Post by venidominefan » Sun Mar 01, 2020 6:39 pm

Not sure if this fully fits the category of Prog Metal....but how about:

Masquerade - Surface Of Pain (1994)

Here are a few of my favorite tracks but the whole album is great:

Feels Good:
https://youtu.be/pwXZcHP1pnU

Say Your Prayer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqFtBrfQgMk

Mercy Me:
https://youtu.be/0icZ0f9ea3Q

Full Album:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JqCByapndI
This is your brain on guitar...
Bandcamp >
CDBaby >
Soundcloud >
Spotify >

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Mon Mar 02, 2020 4:16 am

venidominefan wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 6:39 pm
Not sure if this fully fits the category of Prog Metal....but how about:

Masquerade - Surface Of Pain (1994)

Here are a few of my favorite tracks but the whole album is great:

Feels Good:
https://youtu.be/pwXZcHP1pnU

Say Your Prayer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqFtBrfQgMk

Mercy Me:
https://youtu.be/0icZ0f9ea3Q

Full Album:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JqCByapndI
That's a great album, but I never thought of it as a prog album in any way. It's just a really great metal album from a "hard rock" band that wasn't afraid of bending genres a bit here and there (well yeah, I guess that's the definition of "progressive metal" then?)
Claus Jensen

The Metal Mayor

Post by The Metal Mayor » Sun Apr 12, 2020 3:55 pm

I'll play - been fun reading this thread - Raddaka has been the big discovery; How did I never hear of them before?

Spheric Universe Experience - Anima (2007ish)
Simply stunning. If you are on the look-out for some powerful, melodic, yet inventive progressive metal, then those two words should be enough to tell you that Anima is an album you can not afford to miss. However, if you're not that easily persuaded, then read on and I will do my best to persuade you that it will be money well spent.

In reviewing the debut album from this French band a couple of years ago, I said that Mental Torments was a strong debut with some great moments. The main fault, was a lack of coherence across the album, with just so many ideas that the band never really settled on its own sound.

This was a comment made in numerous reviews. So full credit to the band, as the instrumental and compositional excesses have been well and truly ditched on Anima. As a result, Spheric Universe Experience (let's call them SUE) now sounds like a band with a crystal clear view of what they want to sound like and what sort of audience they are playing for.

What you have here, takes it's biggest influences from Dream Theater, but with plenty of additions to give SUE very much it's own identity. We have the keen melodies and reflective moods of Fates Warning, the technical intensity of Spiral Architect and Watchtower, the occasional curve-ball as thrown by Pain Of Salvation, the regular blast of Styx bombasticity and the pure metallic riffing of Redemption and Symphony X.

Only on the closing instrumental Black Meteria does the band lose the tight control shown elsewhere. It's a real shame, as the song's drawn-out musical wankery sits totally at odds with the rest of the music, and means that the album ends with probably its only fault.

Singer Franck Garcia has also improved his game immensely. His grasp of melody and rhythm is delivered with far more control than on the debut and there's no trace of an accent. Guitarist Vince Benaim has also developed in leaps and bounds. On World Of Madness and End Of Trauma, in particular, he delivers some truly monstrous riffing that is up there with the work of Redemption's Nick Van Dyke in terms of both power and inventiveness. It's all helped by a fantastically powerful and intense production mastered by the ever-reliable Tommy Hansen. Every element of the band just leaps out of the speakers.

Personal favourites are the opening pair of Sceptic and The Inner Quest and the aforementioned World Of Madness and the multi-faceted End Of Trauma. However this album really is just a series of highlights. There is so much detail in this record that you can, like me, be a dozen listenings in, and still feel as if it's your first.

Just absorb the lovely acoustic passage five minutes into Heal My Pain, the ethnic drum patterns at the start of World Of Madness or the Japanese spoken inserts on Heal My Pain.

Without doubt Anima will be sitting in my top five albums of 2007 as it is currently getting an almost daily headphone session.

If there is any justice, this album will lift SUE to the premier league of ProgMetal bands. I'll say it again: Simply stunning.

(From my contemporaneous review) Just gave all their albums a spin today and this stands the test of time very well. Shame that they went quickly downhill after this release.

Mardoch
Site Admin

Post by Mardoch » Mon Apr 13, 2020 9:04 am

SUE was great until The New Eve which was really not good. I think I remember seeing they were in the process of writing a new album. I hope that's true and I hope they can get back to the place they were before.

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Sat Apr 25, 2020 10:32 am

PAYNE'S GRAY - Kadath Decoded

I pulled out this long-lost friend from the dusty CD shelves this morning ... I almost had forgotten what a classic is is, but the moment it started playing it all came back. This is one of the most adventurous prog metal conceptual albums ever written, based on an H.P.Lovecraft novel. Technically, symphonic, uber-progressive (imagine the best of Sieges Even, Watchtower, Mekong Delta, King Diamond and even a hint of Styx/Savatage/Meat Loaf pomp!), this album has it all. As many German bands from back then, the singer situation is the make-it-or-break-it for many, and in this case even the use of two lead singers won't help much, as neither singer was "perfect" (none of them were the next Russell Allen for sure *lol*), yet they were PERFECT for this particular release. There's so much going on here - classical interludes, some very complex technical passages and then these great melodies and riffs. Man, what a great disc! I saw them in '95 or '96 on tour with Psychotic Waltz and they were absolutely amazing. Super band, and sadly forgotten by time.
Claus Jensen

GaetanL

Post by GaetanL » Sat Apr 25, 2020 12:49 pm

introclaus wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 10:32 am

I pulled out this long-lost friend from the dusty CD shelves this morning ... I almost had forgotten what a classic is is, but the moment it started playing it all came back. This is one of the most adventurous prog metal conceptual albums ever written, based on an H.P.Lovecraft novel. Technically, symphonic, uber-progressive (imagine the best of Sieges Even, Watchtower, Mekong Delta, King Diamond and even a hint of Styx/Savatage/Meat Loaf pomp!), this album has it all. As many German bands from back then, the singer situation is the make-it-or-break-it for many, and in this case even the use of two lead singers won't help much, as neither singer was "perfect" (none of them were the next Russell Allen for sure *lol*), yet they were PERFECT for this particular release. There's so much going on here - classical interludes, some very complex technical passages and then these great melodies and riffs. Man, what a great disc! I saw them in '95 or '96 on tour with Psychotic Waltz and they were absolutely amazing. Super band, and sadly forgotten by time.
I like their previous album (demo) "Infinity" as well.
Gaétan
Musique Progressive Dynamique
Site consacré au métal progressif, au néo-prog et au hard rock
http://www.musiqueprog.net

GaetanL

Post by GaetanL » Sat Apr 25, 2020 3:29 pm

introclaus wrote:

I revisited this afternoon. It has indeed aged well, I still love it. First half of the disc is better.
Gaétan
Musique Progressive Dynamique
Site consacré au métal progressif, au néo-prog et au hard rock
http://www.musiqueprog.net

T'ski

Post by T'ski » Sun Apr 26, 2020 4:47 pm

I really tried with this disc back in the day, but for me, it was one of the absolute worst discs I've ever heard.

Props to those that enjoy it.

jhallum

Post by jhallum » Sun May 31, 2020 8:40 am

GaetanL wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 3:29 pm
introclaus wrote:

I revisited this afternoon. It has indeed aged well, I still love it. First half of the disc is better.
I listen to this every year or two. It's still a great atmospheric disk for its subject matter. It hits its marks everywhere given its Lovecraftian origins. Eerie, ambient, but still heavy where it needs to be.

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Sun Jul 26, 2020 2:56 pm

SEVENTHSIGN - Perpetual Destiny (1995)

When we talk about the second-division of US prog metal in the 90's (the bands a step below Dream Theater, Queensryche, Fates Warning, Shadow Gallery, Psychotic Waltz) we often mention such bands as Power of Omens, The Quiet Room, Eternity X, Digital Ruin, Radakka and that kind of acts, but one I don't see mentioned nearly as often is New Mexico band Seventhsign. Two albums only before they went their separate ways, but that was enough to leave their mark on the blooming scene. Debut album "Perpetual Destiny" is where it's all at though, as far as I'm concerned - great disc with super cool melodies (kind of like a Fates Warning with a hard-rocking flair - not too far from Radakka actually) and the amazing Gregg Analla on vocals. A decade later he showed up on the interesting Slavior project alongside Wayne Findlay (Schenker) and Mark Zonder (Warlord, Fates Warning and 100 other bands), and he also were part of Roy Z's Tribe of Gypsies for a while. My only problem with the album is that the production is very flat and typical of the early 90's, which isn't that pleasing on the ears here in 2020, but oh well ...

Full album stream: https://youtu.be/BUdhDh5MUps
Claus Jensen

LarryD
Site Admin

Post by LarryD » Sun Jul 26, 2020 4:55 pm

When we talk about the second-division of US prog metal in the 90's (the bands a step below Dream Theater, Queensryche, Fates Warning, Shadow Gallery, Psychotic Waltz) we often mention such bands as Power of Omens, The Quiet Room, Eternity X, Digital Ruin, Radakka and that kind of acts, but one I don't see mentioned nearly as often is New Mexico band Seventhsign. Two albums only before they went their separate ways, but that was enough to leave their mark on the blooming scene. Debut album "Perpetual Destiny" is where it's all at though, as far as I'm concerned - great disc with super cool melodies (kind of like a Fates Warning with a hard-rocking flair - not too far from Radakka actually) and the amazing Gregg Analla on vocals. A decade later he showed up on the interesting Slavior project alongside Wayne Findlay (Schenker) and Mark Zonder (Warlord, Fates Warning and 100 other bands), and he also were part of Roy Z's Tribe of Gypsies for a while. My only problem with the album is that the production is very flat and typical of the early 90's, which isn't that pleasing on the ears here in 2020, but oh well ...

Full album stream: https://youtu.be/BUdhDh5MUps
****It's so weird - after reading some these posts, I'll go to the CD racks to get the CD discussed, and it's not there. That means I either sold it, traded it, or gave it away for whatever reason. I cannot remember ( which is the case lately for everything ) why or when I dumped it, but the fact that I did tells me something didn't click after the years went by .......Radakka mentioned above was another one...... the rest of those bands mentioned, are still on the rack - most likely destined to stay there until death do us part......

T'ski

Post by T'ski » Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:02 pm

Chiaroscuro "Brilliant Pools of Darkness" (2000)

I personally have never heard this album but wasn't it talked about quite a bit back in the day?

Psychotic Symphony

Post by Psychotic Symphony » Sun Aug 02, 2020 4:00 am

T'ski wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:02 pm

I personally have never heard this album but wasn't it talked about quite a bit back in the day?
Have a go! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHyr1At0KbU

It was great because at the time it's approach to heaviness was unique in the genre. It definitely took on a Korn/Nu-metal approach in the guitars and bass but the vocals and keys were closer to traditional prog metal.
So -that's- where the humidifier went.

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Sun Aug 02, 2020 1:05 pm

T'ski wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:02 pm

CHIAROSCURO - Brilliant Pools of Darkness

Ahh yes, CHIAROSCURO

"Brilliant Pools" was a great disc, and the demos they recorded after was even better if you ask me. I was the bands manager from 2000-2002 trying to get them a record deal, but it was basically impossible. Several labels (including some really big ones) said they loved the music, but they all came back to the point of the band being too different ... this whole "nu metal" meets "prog metal" just wasn't sellable according to the labels. I honestly just think the band was ahead of their time, and if you listen to later albums (example James LaBrie's solo stuff, or perhaps even Devin Townsend) you'll see that it worked just fine. Oh well ...
Last edited by introclaus on Fri Dec 04, 2020 6:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Claus Jensen

Omar

Post by Omar » Sun Aug 09, 2020 12:50 am

I have a few that i remember from back in the day:
Ax'n Sex/Steiger and later changed their name to Ivory Tower - Victim Of Time
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMbp7TG-nDE
Jester's March - Acts
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0etztayL-Y
Heads Or Tails - Eternity Becomes a Lie
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9r6l01XkH0Q
Mercury Rising - Upon Deaf Ears
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXs9dAbWTwU
Poverty's No Crime - The Autumn Years
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFk2IKEkr5s
Edwin Dare - Can't Brake Me
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMtEspK ... rt_radio=1
Visionary - Visionary
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtT47PgYqYc
Psyco Drama - The Illusion
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BlgrC8i3Dp4
Defyance - Amarathine
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOtKevh8Rp8

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Sun Aug 09, 2020 2:25 pm

Omar wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 12:50 am
I have a few that i remember from back in the day:
Ax'n Sex/Steiger and later changed their name to Ivory Tower - Victim Of Time
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMbp7TG-nDE
Jester's March - Acts
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0etztayL-Y
Heads Or Tails - Eternity Becomes a Lie
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9r6l01XkH0Q
Mercury Rising - Upon Deaf Ears
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXs9dAbWTwU
Poverty's No Crime - The Autumn Years
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFk2IKEkr5s
Edwin Dare - Can't Brake Me
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMtEspK ... rt_radio=1
Visionary - Visionary
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtT47PgYqYc
Psyco Drama - The Illusion
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BlgrC8i3Dp4
Defyance - Amarathine
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOtKevh8Rp8
Some great stuff here - would love to hear your opinion on each of these ...

POVERTY's NO CRIME - The Autumn Years

Also, it's great to see someone else pick "The Autumn Years" as their favorite PNC album - I know most prefer the following two albums, but for me "The Autumn Years" is where it's at. Speaking of PNC, I just got the new Assignment album; Croation (I think!) prog metal album featuring Diego Valdez on vocals - it sounds quite a bit like PNC style wise and Marco Ahrens from that band is actually playing guitar on two of the songs...
Last edited by introclaus on Sat Aug 15, 2020 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Claus Jensen

Locust0311

Post by Locust0311 » Sun Aug 09, 2020 9:17 pm

introclaus wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 2:25 pm
Some great stuff here - would love to hear your opinion on each of these ...

Also, it's great to see someone else pick "The Autumn Years" as their favorite PNC album - I know most prefer the following two albums, but for me "The Autumn Years" is where it's at. Speaking of PNC, I just got the new Assignment album; Croation (I think!) prog metal album featuring Diego Valdez on vocals - it sounds quite a bit like PNC style wise and Marco Ahrens from that band is actually playing guitar on two of the songs...
I like Autumn Years but Slave to the Mind is still their best to my ears. Their most recent Facebook post dated June 26 said they were tracking drums for one of the tracks of their new album, so hopefully we'll have some more PNC soon.

Omar

Post by Omar » Sun Aug 09, 2020 11:52 pm

I first heard of all this bands thru a website called "Heady Metal" back in the mid to late 90's. They a had short samples of songs that you could listen to. Back then I would buy anything that sounded and was influenced by Dream Theater, Fates Warning and Queensryche.

Ax'n Sex/Steiger - victim of time
They certainly had the Dream theater sound that I liked mix with some Euro Power Metal.

Jester's March - Acts
I Bought this after buying House of Spirts - Turn of the tide since they had the same singer Olaf. Acts it's a bit more speedy and heavier than Turn of the Tide. I still prefer House of Sprits over Jester's March any day. :)

Head or Tails - Eternity Becomes a Lie. Heavier than dream theater was at that time. Their songs weren't catchy like DT but had enough melody for my taste.

Mercury Rising - Upon deaf ears. I must admit I was about 20 years late to the party on this release. I'm glad i finally did. They are more on the technical sound of progmetal spectrum for sure.

Poverty's no Crime - The Autumn years. They've been one of my favorite Progmetal bands since this release. When I recommend a PNC album of course I always steer them towards "Slave to the mind" It' has a more polished sound and the songs are more catchy if you will. What I like about Autumn Years is it's subtle guitar melodies, you don't notice them at first. It's after you've listen to them and you might be doing something else and later on they creep in to your head. PNC is one of the few bands that do this to my ears at least. All of the Autumn Years songs have this subtle guitar and vocal melodies.

Edwin Dare - Can't brake Me. This is more like progressive thrash to my ears. Jeff Kollman on guitar lays some tasty riffs on this album. I played this album often enough, never gets old.

Visionary - Visionay. Lots of Queensryche influence and they throw in some heavy double bass drumming at times. Although I think they use a drum machine for this album :D

Psyco Drama - The Illusion. Singer Corey Brown is what makes this album great for me. Geoff Tate would be proud.

Defyance - Amarathine. This more of melodic progressive metal band. Great hooks, Vocals and good guitar riffs.

I forgot to include one more band on my orignal post.

Clockwork - Search(EP) - More technical with a singer with an Avant-garde side.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cP9DTaDGU-g

I'm looking forward to that Croation album. I love diego's vocals. Thanks for the headsup. Keep us posted.

Psychotic Symphony

Post by Psychotic Symphony » Fri Aug 14, 2020 2:26 pm

Omar wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 11:52 pm

Visionary - Visionay. Lots of Queensryche influence and they throw in some heavy double bass drumming at times. Although I think they use a drum machine for this album :D
Good shout! They released another album Strange But Familiar Shores which is quite good as well. Some weird cross between Conception - Flow and Queensryche RFO. Singer has got a Roy Khan thing going on as well.
So -that's- where the humidifier went.

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Sat Aug 15, 2020 9:33 am

Omar wrote:
Jester's March - Acts
I Bought this after buying House of Spirts - Turn of the tide since they had the same singer Olaf. Acts it's a bit more speedy and heavier than Turn of the Tide. I still prefer House of Sprits over Jester's March any day. :)
JESTER'S MARCH - Acts

I by far prefer the two Jester's March albums over House of Spirits - much more consistent, and less "Qryche" inspired. That said, "Turn of the Tide" was a great album, but the rawness and the technical/proggy thrash touch to "Acts" and "Beyond" were just amazing and nearly unmatched in the genre (Secrecy is the only band I can think of that blended über-melodic prog with technical thrash to such great effort in the European scene at that time). Three of the band members went on to form House of Spirits as you mentioned - the two Bilic brothers and bassplayer Martin Hirsch. At that point in time they then engaged some Mekong Delta members, but strangely enough abandoned the "thrash" influences and went pure melodic prog (Qryche / FWarning) with "Turn of the Tide". The second House of Spirits sucked though, so let's not talk about that one ;)

Full album stream: https://youtu.be/t0etztayL-Y
Claus Jensen

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Sat Aug 15, 2020 9:43 am

Omar wrote:
Head or Tails - Eternity Becomes a Lie. Heavier than dream theater was at that time. Their songs weren't catchy like DT but had enough melody for my taste.
HEADS OR TAILS - Eternity Becomes a Lie

One of my favorite record labels in the early / mid 90's was Sweden's Black Mark Productions with good-to-amazing albums from Bathory, Edge of Sanity, Invocator, Memento Mori, Morgana Lefay, Tad Morose, Cemetary, Lake of Tears, Hexenhaus ... and obviously Heads or Tails.

I remember thinking this album was absolutely awesome back then, but revisiting now I don't really find that time has been kind to it. While it was a good disc for its time, today it sounds flat (lousy production - listen to those drums, omg!) and marred by a vocalist who is quite pitchy. The song writing is very nice though - very Dream Theater inspired which obviously was a big plus for the prog fans of the time. I think it'll be quite a number of years until I'm going to revisit this again though ...

Full album stream: https://youtu.be/lOEhDgtCRMw
Claus Jensen

xaurt

Post by xaurt » Mon Aug 17, 2020 12:06 pm

The Metal Mayor wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 3:55 pm
I'll play - been fun reading this thread - Raddaka has been the big discovery; How did I never hear of them before?

(From my contemporaneous review) Just gave all their albums a spin today and this stands the test of time very well. Shame that they went quickly downhill after this release.

This is really good stuff! I'm not sure how I missed this release; it must have been released during my Tool phase.

LarryD
Site Admin

Post by LarryD » Mon Aug 17, 2020 12:35 pm

Excellent list here !!!!! Even though I don't care for some of them, they made great waves back in the day.............
Ax'n Sex/Steiger - victim of time
They certainly had the Dream theater sound that I liked mix with some Euro Power Metal.
***I did not care for this band at all. I forget who turned me on to them, but I no longer have the disc, so that tells me it went south many moons ago......

Jester's March - Acts
***I still have the Jesters March disc, but I didn't care for the speed aspect. Same here, I much prefer House of Spirits to J March.

***Once again I do not have this disc anymore - and I don't remember why it's been so long. Wasn't this singer very high pitched ?

Mercury Rising - Upon deaf ears. I must admit I was about 20 years late to the party on this release. I'm glad i finally did. They are more on the technical sound of progmetal spectrum for sure.
***The technical aspect of this band kept me away from enjoying them like others did ..... but seeing them at Powermad was always a great time because they were so good at what they did. I think we used to call them a "speedier version of Fates Warning " ......... they were always fun guys to be around and chat with. The singer especially was cool to chat with.

Poverty's no Crime - The Autumn years. They've been one of my favorite Progmetal bands since this release. When I recommend a PNC album of course I always steer them towards "Slave to the mind" It' has a more polished sound and the songs are more catchy if you will. What I like about Autumn Years is it's subtle guitar melodies, you don't notice them at first. It's after you've listen to them and you might be doing something else and later on they creep in to your head. PNC is one of the few bands that do this to my ears at least. All of the Autumn Years songs have this subtle guitar and vocal melodies.
***My boys !!!!! To this day I can get out a PNC disc and enjoy the hell out of it no matter what. It's one of those bands who never wrote their masterpiece, but just kept on releasing quality discs time after time. It's so good to hear that they have a new disc in the works.

Edwin Dare - Can't brake Me. This is more like progressive thrash to my ears. Jeff Kollman on guitar lays some tasty riffs on this album. I played this album often enough, never gets old.
***Way too speedy and thrashy for me - they were a great band who just couldn't break through for whatever reason.

***Had a disc - don't remember them.

Psyco Drama - The Illusion. Singer Corey Brown is what makes this album great for me. Geoff Tate would be proud.
***Agree completely. Great disc and great singer.

Defyance - Amarathine. This more of melodic progressive metal band. Great hooks, Vocals and good guitar riffs.
***Man we are going WAY back in time ........ I still have the demo they sent to me so long ago .......such good stuff for the time.

Clockwork - Search(EP) - More technical with a singer with an Avant-garde side.
***Took me a bit to get into them ..... but when I finally, they were so good ..... such a talented band. Great post - makes me miss the old days even more. I'm also grateful that you guys have such a great memory, because I could never pull these names out of my head anymore without help ........

AllMediaReviews

Post by AllMediaReviews » Sun Aug 23, 2020 2:22 pm

Psychotic Symphony wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 2:26 pm
Omar wrote:

Good shout! They released another album Strange But Familiar Shores which is quite good as well. Some weird cross between Conception - Flow and Queensryche RFO. Singer has got a Roy Khan thing going on as well.
Visionary was featured in 1 of the Metal Zines (Metal Edge probably) in the late 90's. The same issue/feature also included Soundscape. I bought both of those cds around that time. While I enjoyed Visionary, I came to love Soundscape.

I never got around to hearing that 2nd album though.

johnhead

Post by johnhead » Wed Dec 02, 2020 4:00 pm

I am really surprised that no one has mentioned Divine Regale

http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp? ... e%20press.

the keyboardist toured with Fates Warning for the Pleasant Shade of Grey tour. I liked the album as it had that Enchant feel.

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Fri Dec 04, 2020 6:47 am

johnhead wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 4:00 pm
I am really surprised that no one has mentioned Divine Regale

http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp? ... e%20press.

the keyboardist toured with Fates Warning for the Pleasant Shade of Grey tour. I liked the album as it had that Enchant feel.
DIVINE REGALE - Ocean Mind

Yes, "Ocean Minds" is a wonderful album. I loved it back then and I still do - thanks for reminding me, been a while though since I listened to it, time to change that. Their demo "Horizons" a few years earlier was even better in my opinion. If you can find it, check it out. Two of the songs made it onto the album though.

The drummer, Mike Anderson, visits this board once in a while, and two years or so ago he posted a new song, which was really awesome as well:
https://youtu.be/pwdYQ1Pqyg4

For some reason the album never came out ...
Claus Jensen

LarryD
Site Admin

Post by LarryD » Fri Dec 04, 2020 7:45 am

introclaus wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 6:47 am
DIVINE REGALE - Ocean Mind

Yes, "Ocean Minds" is a wonderful album. I loved it back then and I still do - thanks for reminding me, been a while though since I listened to it, time to change that. Their demo "Horizons" a few years earlier was even better in my opinion. If you can find it, check it out. Two of the songs made it onto the album though.

The drummer, Mike Anderson, visits this board once in a while, and two years or so ago he posted a new song, which was really awesome as well:
https://youtu.be/pwdYQ1Pqyg4

For some reason the album never came out ...
*** Agree on the Horizons being better ........ when that EP came out, I was floored by it. A real shame they couldn't keep at it .......
Last edited by Mardoch on Fri Dec 04, 2020 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fixed quote formatting