Blast from the past: SANVOISEN!!

The Heart of the Prog/Power Movement

Moderators: TROY or maybe DEBBIE, Stevie WOnder, Digital Man

Guillaume

Blast from the past: SANVOISEN!!

Postby Guillaume » Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:28 pm

Anyone remembers this fine German melodic prog metal band from the 90s?

I ripped their 2 CDs this weekend and played them this morning for the 1st time in maybe 10 years. Enjoyed them as much as back in the days. Both albums have an excellent production (especially Soul Seasons), great musicianship, powerful vocals from Greek singer Vagelis Maranis. What's not to like? Sad thing is that none of these musicians did anything after the demise of Sanvoisen as it seems...

Soul Seasons might be my fave, but Exotic Ways is also very good stuff. What do you think?

Exotic Ways (1994)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkwSkv2aa3o

Soul Seasons (1997)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtUi72rXfac

G

Hearing Aid Man

Re: Blast from the past: SANVOISEN!!

Postby Hearing Aid Man » Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:55 pm

Totally agree. Still enjoy both of these cd's. No offense, but I'm surprised you like their singer. High-pitched vocalists were normally not your cup of tea if I recall correctly.

Digital Man

Postby Digital Man » Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:12 pm

Love this band, it still gets regular rotation with me. However, I only seem to have Exotic Ways. I don't think I even knew they had another disk out. Guess I need to go find Soul Seasons.
Güy

introclaus

Postby introclaus » Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:43 pm

Hearing Aid Man wrote:Totally agree. Still enjoy both of these cd's. No offense, but I'm surprised you like their singer. High-pitched vocalists were normally not your cup of tea if I recall correctly.

I thought the same thing ... well, kind of. My thoughts were more along the lines of "how come Guillaume likes this awesome vocalist, when he typically goes for the mediocre ones?", but same end result, right? :) j/k

Yes, Sanvoisen were awesome - both discs were great, although they tend to crossover a little bit too much to "soft hard rock" territory here and there. I seem to remember that one of the Scorpions guys were involved as a producer or something?

I was in touch with Vagelis for a short while trying to find a singer for a different band and he did show interest - we ended up going with someone else though, but I still love his voice.

c.
Claus Jensen

Guillaume

Postby Guillaume » Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:51 pm

Hearing Aid Man wrote:Totally agree. Still enjoy both of these cd's. No offense, but I'm surprised you like their singer. High-pitched vocalists were normally not your cup of tea if I recall correctly.

You're right, he's a bit high for my normal taste, but he doesn't bug me. I enjoy his power and he fits the music great.

Guillaume

Postby Guillaume » Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:52 pm

introclaus wrote:

I thought the same thing ... well, kind of. My thoughts were more along the lines of "how come Guillaume likes this awesome vocalist, when he typically goes for the mediocre ones?", but same end result, right? :) j/k

Yes, Sanvoisen were awesome - both discs were great, although they tend to crossover a little bit too much to "soft hard rock" territory here and there. I seem to remember that one of the Scorpions guys were involved as a producer or something?

I was in touch with Vagelis for a short while trying to find a singer for a different band and he did show interest - we ended up going with someone else though, but I still love his voice.

c.

What I thought, was , which problems will Claus find about that singer? Pitch, delivery?? :lol: :lol: :lol:

T'ski

Postby T'ski » Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:22 pm

I live in central WI. imagine my shock when I heard a local radio station, based in a town of 2500 people, playing Sanvoisen back in the 90's. :shock:

Guillaume

Postby Guillaume » Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:14 pm

T'ski wrote:I live in central WI. imagine my shock when I heard a local radio station, based in a town of 2500 people, playing Sanvoisen back in the 90's. :shock:

:shock: :shock: :shock: indeed!!

prog_powermetal99

Postby prog_powermetal99 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:29 am

Digital Man wrote:Love this band, it still gets regular rotation with me. However, I only seem to have Exotic Ways. I don't think I even knew they had another disk out. Guess I need to go find Soul Seasons.

Soul Seasons is great Guy! I think I remember picking this up at an old Powermad Festival. Or maybe I got it from Dream Disc or Impulse....Not sure.

LarryD
Site Admin

Postby LarryD » Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:05 am

I remember when the late, great Erik Welty turned me on to this band way back when ....... I told him I loved Queensryche, and he suggested this band ........ two great discs, a shame it never continued. So strange how bands of this era just stopped dead in their tracks after releasing one or two discs..... Im' sure we could come up with a whole list of bands who did this back then .........

Guillaume

Postby Guillaume » Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:08 am

LarryD wrote:So strange how bands of this era just stopped dead in their tracks after releasing one or two discs..... Im' sure we could come up with a whole list of bands who did this back then .........

You're right.

I guess it would be in order to play some Sanvoisen in the Room Of Death this year!! :twisted:

LASERCD

Postby LASERCD » Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:35 pm

LarryD wrote:I remember when the late, great Erik Welty turned me on to this band way back when ....... I told him I loved Queensryche, and he suggested this band ........ two great discs, a shame it never continued. So strange how bands of this era just stopped dead in their tracks after releasing one or two discs..... Im' sure we could come up with a whole list of bands who did this back then .........

Did Erik pass away? :(

LarryD
Site Admin

Postby LarryD » Thu Jul 26, 2018 1:17 pm

LASERCD wrote:
LarryD wrote:I remember when the late, great Erik Welty turned me on to this band way back when ....... I told him I loved Queensryche, and he suggested this band ........ two great discs, a shame it never continued. So strange how bands of this era just stopped dead in their tracks after releasing one or two discs..... Im' sure we could come up with a whole list of bands who did this back then .........

Did Erik pass away? :(

*****Nooooooooo... I just call him that lovingly because I haven't seen him around in years ........ I call this state - The Late Great State of RI, even though it's still here....but that's NOT lovingly ............ :wink:

Psychotic Symphony

Postby Psychotic Symphony » Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:30 pm

I heard them from him too.
I blame him for starting my obsession when I was like 14.

http://web.archive.org/web/200108092126 ... et/proggy/

Enjoy another blast from the past!
So -that's- where the humidifier went.

Sir Exar Kun

Postby Sir Exar Kun » Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:49 am

http://web.archive.org/web/200108092126 ... et/proggy/

Enjoy another blast from the past!

Ok, that is awesome..... Thanks so much for sharing!!!!
Capitalism: God's way of separating the smart from the poor. -Ron Swanson

Return to “PM: Core”