MYSTERY / Lies and Butterflies......

The Heart of the Prog/Power Movement

Moderators: TROY or maybe DEBBIE, Stevie WOnder, Digital Man

LarryD
Site Admin

MYSTERY / Lies and Butterflies......

Postby LarryD » Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:30 am

Those of you who are into this band, Mystery has just released their new disc....... I'll say right up front, it's a bit different than Delusion Rain, my favorite and their best to date I think. It's Mystery, but definitely on the lighter side. In fact, ( Gaetan ), Mystery was always classified as a prog rock band, it's easy to say that now they are a great Neo-Prog band. if I heard this for the first time, not knowing who it was, I'd think that another great Neo-Prog band was discovered.

That said, this is an absolutely beautiful disc. In fact, it's so beautiful that it's sickeningly sweet like maple syrup. There is cheese in some power metal, and then there is some syrup in Neo-Progressive music. This disc has it dripping from all sides. Lighter in style than Delusion Rain, but Jean Pageau absolutely nails the vocals on this one as he always has. I don't think anyone in progressive music likes to be compared to anyone or anything called Air Supply, but to me, sounding like Russell Hitchcock (Air Supply singer) is not a bad thing as I always thought he was a great singer anyway..... Jean Pageau moves further into Hitchcock land than he did DeYoung land on Delusion Rain. He brings out even more beauty in the music than there already is - and it's loaded with beauty from top to bottom. As you listen, and say to yourself, "man this is really on the lighter side of Mystery" .... you also can't help but say " but it's so melodic and beautiful " ....... It's a push pull thing that you either embrace or walk away from..... luckily for me, I'm completely into this style of music and embrace the beauty hand over fist......

If you are a Mystery fan no matter what, this will be another super quality release from a super quality band ...... the production is stellar, as all Mystery discs are..... there is no denying the absolute beauty of this disc, and I even wondered how someone just sits there and comes up with melodies this beautiful...... it's one thing to wonder how someone writes a DT disc, a SX disc or some complex math prog - but how someone writes music so beautiful like this is also mind boggling.

This is just stunning to me.

Harvester

Re: MYSTERY / Lies and Butterflies......

Postby Harvester » Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:45 am

You are never allowed to complain about a band being not being heavy enough or too light ever again.

Ever.

LarryD
Site Admin

Postby LarryD » Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:42 am

Harvester wrote:You are never allowed to complain about a band being not being heavy enough or too light ever again.

Ever.

****LOL !!!! Well you know what a softy I am for this "type" of music ........ but you do bring up a good point. I've been known to say about that certain bands, and then go off and listen to something just like it .....leaving people scratching their heads....... I should bring up that very concept in another post, and somehow try to explain it ....if I am able to ....... :)

This band reaches my emotional innards quite nicely ...... softer, heavier, more dramatic, doesn't matter. When this guy sings, and the band starts playing, I get lost in the emotion of it - they just reach my soul. Very few bands I can say that about .......

outprogged42

Postby outprogged42 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:47 am

I've listened to this disc twice and I'm still trying to really access much of it. The shorter songs are really good but the longer songs don't feel as compelling as something like Delusion Rain is, at first glance. The vocalist is, as always, the star of the album.

LarryD
Site Admin

Postby LarryD » Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:21 am

outprogged42 wrote:I've listened to this disc twice and I'm still trying to really access much of it. The shorter songs are really good but the longer songs don't feel as compelling as something like Delusion Rain is, at first glance. The vocalist is, as always, the star of the album.

*** I agree with this totally - and I will assume that most people will as well .......it's hard not to feel about a disc coming off something like Delusion Rain...... they go in a much softer direction, and I'm not sure that was a good thing for them or not. Fanboy me aside - I think people who want to listen to this type of music, say like Arena, like it on the heavier side of this style - although Mystery has never been "heavy" per se -- but this is as light as it gets for them on any of their discs for sure..... the singer, as you say, brings it all to life.

ToddS
Site Admin

Postby ToddS » Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:10 pm

For me, it is Mystery and I like the record. It’s not so much that it is a somewhat lighter record overall, they have done lighter stuff on every record, but it feels a bit sappy soft sometimes. If that makes sense? The vocals add to this feeling I believe.

I’m still digesting, but I don’t see this one being among my favs. Still some good tracks on here, great melodies, so maybe it is more of a grower or mood thing.
"My songs become my freedom, and my freedom turns to gold"

ToddS
Site Admin

Postby ToddS » Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:12 pm

Harvester wrote:You are never allowed to complain about a band being not being heavy enough or too light ever again.

Ever.

Don’t you love when he gives us that too soft excuse? :lol:
"My songs become my freedom, and my freedom turns to gold"

Chris R

Postby Chris R » Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:49 pm

ToddS wrote:

Ever.

Don’t you love when he gives us that too soft excuse? :lol:

Huh huh huh. Huh huh huh
You said soft

Huh huh huh
Tarja is a female woman

Chris R

Postby Chris R » Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:49 pm

I need to check this out as for some reason I have never heard of Mystery before.
Tarja is a female woman

Digital Man

Postby Digital Man » Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:33 pm

Will still need a lot more listens to digest this, but I'm loving what I am hearing so far. I mean, it's new Mystery, that's good enough for me. Lighter, heavier, I don't care it's Mystery.
Güy

Harvester

Postby Harvester » Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:33 pm

Just got my copy of the new limited edition version with the alternate cover.

LarryD
Site Admin

Postby LarryD » Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:16 am

Harvester wrote:Just got my copy of the new limited edition version with the alternate cover.

I'm all out of love, I'm so lost without you
I know you were right believing for so long
I'm all out of love, what am I without you
I can't be too late to say that I was so wrong

8)

Chris R

Postby Chris R » Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:37 am

Harvester wrote:Just got my copy of the new limited edition version with the alternate cover.

Hey now..
I always wanted to do a cover of Sweet Dreams...(really opens up to be a nice proggish styled song if reconstructed correctly...)
Tarja is a female woman

Random Axe

Postby Random Axe » Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:29 am

I had this playing pretty low in the car with my wife last night so mostly what was heard were vocals, and sure as shit she said they sound like Air Supply.

I really enjoyed the previous album, but this one is needing to sink in a bit for me. The closing track is worth the price of the album, though. Maybe it'll grow on me but it was 7 meh tunes and then a home run.

introclaus

Postby introclaus » Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:55 am

Just listened to the album - I'll compare the experience to what I believe it would feel like to sit down on an exercise bike in the middle of a spin-class only to realize that someone had removed the seat while you were standing up. While Larry and others might enjoy that particular experience, it took away my "man-card" and I had to negotiate with iTunes to quickly locate the nearest Deicide album to regain that which was lost ...
Claus Jensen

LarryD
Site Admin

Postby LarryD » Sun Jul 22, 2018 5:25 pm

introclaus wrote:Just listened to the album - I'll compare the experience to what I believe it would feel like to sit down on an exercise bike in the middle of a spin-class only to realize that someone had removed the seat while you were standing up. While Larry and others might enjoy that particular experience, it took away my "man-card" and I had to negotiate with iTunes to quickly locate the nearest Deicide album to regain that which was lost ...

*** It took away my man card -- that could be the best line I've heard in the last 10 years ........ hehehehehe ...... I want to use that, it's awesome ........ :lol:

That analogy also cracked me up ..... hehehehe .. I guess it all comes down to how "light" you are willing to go in our music ....... it's hard to explain, but this band just writes beauty. Plain and simple. The Air Supply thing has it's merits - and I have to say that my wife, upon hearing this disc, said that the guy sounds just like Air Supply, as I predict most women would. That said - she loved the disc, and I loved the disc. It's Mystery dammit - like Guy said ..... and thats what counts. This band can do no wrong in my book - light, heavy or in between ....... they just do what they do, and they do it superbly. Is it Delusion Rain ? Nope ..... but it's Mystery. It's light, it's beautuiful, it moves me. Nuff said ....... :P

Harvester

Postby Harvester » Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:45 pm

For the record...

1. That may be the funnies thing Claus has posted in a decade.

2. I don't mind lighter/softer music. It's just a matter of presentation to individual taste. I love Anathema's current direction with both music & lyrics that hit me in the gut. I just can't do the Mystery syrupy approach on this last one. And you are right, the Air Supplyesque vocals are a baseball bat to the nuts.

elendil

Postby elendil » Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:21 pm

introclaus wrote:Just listened to the album - I'll compare the experience to what I believe it would feel like to sit down on an exercise bike in the middle of a spin-class only to realize that someone had removed the seat while you were standing up. While Larry and others might enjoy that particular experience, it took away my "man-card" and I had to negotiate with iTunes to quickly locate the nearest Deicide album to regain that which was lost ...

I haven't heard the album yet, but this made me LOL.

Return to “PM: Core”