Distorted Harmony - A Way Out (first impressions)

The Heart of the Prog/Power Movement

Moderators: TROY or maybe DEBBIE, Stevie WOnder, Digital Man

outprogged42

Distorted Harmony - A Way Out (first impressions)

Postby outprogged42 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:02 am

I would retroactively call Chain Reaction one of the top albums of 2014 and Distorted Harmony's performance at PPUSA 2017 was outstanding. However, I am not altogether thrilled with this disc. The songs are more compact and heavier and have more of a djent flavor to them than before, and people I know have characterized the style as trying to capitalize on this trend while putting aside some of what made this band original. The songs don't have as much time to develop their ideas and don't feel like they're finished or really go anywhere, most of the time.

The production is stellar and the musicianship very potent as before, but I come away from this disc rather nonplussed, unfortunately.

Sparky

Re: Distorted Harmony - A Way Out (first impressions)

Postby Sparky » Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:22 am

It's a lot to absorb, and I'm still on my first listen. I'm on record as not being a fan of djent guitars, and I don't know if it's the band or the new guitarist or what, but, yeah, they've moved even more in that direction. I thought the djentyness of the last album was a perfect balance. Maybe I'll get used to it on repeated spins.

It's still melodic, and the singer just gets better and better. I just like how these guys write. I honestly went into this disc expecting to be let down. with more listens, I don't think I will be.

I also want to give a shout out to their drummer - he's easy to overlook, but he can certainly throw down.

Sparky

Re: Distorted Harmony - A Way Out (first impressions)

Postby Sparky » Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:40 pm

It's funny - when this band goes Djent, they go full-on, but it's not nearly as frequent as initial listens would imply. This is still the band that made Chain Reaction. They melodies are still there, and while maybe not *quite* as accessible as the last album, all the ingredients remain largely unchanged.

I like it.

Return to “PM: Core”