HAKEN / L-1ive CD / DVD concert.....

The Heart of the Prog/Power Movement

Moderators: TROY or maybe DEBBIE, Stevie WOnder, Digital Man

User avatar
Sir Exar Kun
Posts: 2292
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2004 3:25 pm
Location: Columbus, OH

Re: Fates Warning & Haken Live CDs / DVDs .....

Postby Sir Exar Kun » Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:21 am

Love the Haken. Video quality is not BAD. It's raw, but in a smaller club like this it works just fine. It's not like you're talking about a Dream Theater or TSO with a bunch of lights on a massive stage; you're talking about a small band in a (relatively) small theater. It's just fine.

Honestly, if I have any complaint with this product, it's that I want a CD version of the ProgPower tracks also; they are all GREAT songs, and I'd take them over tracks like "Red Giant" any day of the week.

Waiting on Fates to arrive.
Capitalism: God's way of separating the smart from the poor. -Ron Swanson

User avatar
ToddS
Site Admin
Posts: 3091
Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2004 9:38 pm
Location: New Orleans

Re: Fates Warning & Haken Live CDs / DVDs .....

Postby ToddS » Sat Jun 30, 2018 1:52 pm

The Haken DVD main show from Amsterdam video quality is disappointing. No other way to say it. Especially for such a quality band like Haken that pays such careful attention to every detail in their music.

Video is a bit of a mixed bag overall. There are some solid camera shots, mainly in the close ups. The distant shots are terrible. Overall the video is watchable, but below par for sure. This really surprised me, and not in a good way. Maybe they wanted it to look like a 1985 VHS. :P

The band is great, and no big issues with the sound. This is one of my absolute favorite bands, but I don’t see myself going back to watch this Amsterdam show very much.

Now the ProgPower show is a completely different story. This is more like it! Quality can be compared to any of the other PP DVD shows. So if you seen any of those, you get the idea. Too bad they didn’t include this entire show. I will definitely revisit this!
"My songs become my freedom, and my freedom turns to gold"

User avatar
LarryD
Site Admin
Posts: 6258
Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2004 7:57 pm
Location: Rhode Island / USA

Re: Fates Warning & Haken Live CDs / DVDs .....

Postby LarryD » Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:03 am

Just got my Fates and Haken discs in the mail thanks to The Lasers Edge -- just opened the Haken first, and will fire up the live show and see what's up. Cool double cd / dvd box set - nice artwork. Don't care for the set list much, but we all have our thoughts on what bands should play on their dvd concerts......... :wink:

Thoughts coming on both the Haken and Fates sets throughout the day ............

User avatar
LarryD
Site Admin
Posts: 6258
Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2004 7:57 pm
Location: Rhode Island / USA

Re: Fates Warning & Haken Live CDs / DVDs .....

Postby LarryD » Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:03 am

Very, very first thoughts on the Haken DVD. It's a full show shot in Amsterdam, and right off the bat this doesn't seem like the right venue to shoot your first DVD. The ceilings are low, limiting the light show. Everything bounces off the ceilings. Let's get the bitches out of the way first. The camera angles - horrible. Very few shots of the entire band itself, the cameras always shooting around to the individuals quickly. Seems to be the trend lately. The stage is small - thus my bitch about the venue. Not that these guys run around on stage, but get some breathing room. That camera WAY at the back of the venue shooting forward at the stage - where you can't see the band, but only the saturated lights going on and off all the time. What the f#$@ is that all about ? You get a great shot of the ceilings, crowd, and compactness of the stage, along with the saturated lights, and nothing more because the camera is so far away. Come on, man !!!!!!

The set list, to me, is horrible. That's just my personal opinion - I don't mean I want a whole Aquarius or Visions show (sure I do), but the set list they chose is pretty boring, by Haken standards..... they open up very slowly, which is weird, and they keep picking songs that are more atmospheric instead of pounding the hell out of the audience. I'm only 1/3 of the way through, but I'm ready to find The Cockroach King for God's sake........

The audio is very good on the DVD show - have not yet gotten to the CD part yet. No complaints here on the DVD audio ..... clean and punchy.

The video quality is excellent for what it is. It's standard def, and my Sony 4K bluray player upscales it nicely, and I have no complaints on the picture. And yes, during the song 1985, they revert to a more grainy look in the picture to simulate the VHS quality of that time period. A bluray of this show would be wasted - money that didn't need to be spent for such a small undertaking of a show of this scale. But overall, the standard def quality of this show is just as good as any other we've seen recently.....it does appear though that some of the cameras are of different quality depending on the performer they hit ...... sort of what they did on the recent Ayreon show...... btw, this show was shot on FILM, not video - it's got that film-like look instead of the actual live show quality.

They just started the Aquamedly - godly. The guys are in top form by the way ----especially Ross who is killing it. I'll get to the CD parts later on .......

Overall, this is a Haken show. It's a good show, and after all of this writing, it all comes down to how well you like the song choices......everything else is quality so if you are a Haken fan, do not hesitate to get this one........I'm glad I did.

User avatar
LarryD
Site Admin
Posts: 6258
Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2004 7:57 pm
Location: Rhode Island / USA

Re: Fates Warning & Haken Live CDs / DVDs .....

Postby LarryD » Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:04 am

That all said -- let this show unfold. By the time they get to The Architect, the AquaMedley, and finally Visions ....... you will forget anything negative I've said in my previous post, and Haken will once again own you whether or not you want that to happen ...... this is why these guys are the "new" Prog Metal standard.......Ross is absolutely awesome and owns the show .........

User avatar
ToddS
Site Admin
Posts: 3091
Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2004 9:38 pm
Location: New Orleans

Re: Fates Warning & Haken Live CDs / DVDs .....

Postby ToddS » Tue Jul 03, 2018 5:28 pm

Larry, I’m shocked you think the video is excellent on the Haken show. :shock: The Amsterdam part anyway. That review didn’t sound like excellent. Seriously If you were able to watch this on the projector it should be quite obvious about video quality.

There is a vast difference between the 2 shows in video quality.

Compare the Amsterdam show to any PP DVD and it is substandard. I know I’m picky, but this is a easy one to pick on. Even Logan said “the video sucks, what’s wrong with it?”

I know you hate the set list, but Falling Back To Earth is the 2nd song, and is a beast of a track. No slow start in my book.

Love these guys as much as any band right now. I
Just wish they would (could?) have put more into the quality of this one. Look at the Fates Warning show from PP. The video quality is killer! Especially on Blu-ray.
"My songs become my freedom, and my freedom turns to gold"

User avatar
LarryD
Site Admin
Posts: 6258
Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2004 7:57 pm
Location: Rhode Island / USA

Re: Fates Warning & Haken Live CDs / DVDs .....

Postby LarryD » Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:00 pm

ToddS wrote:Larry, I’m shocked you think the video is excellent on the Haken show. :shock: The Amsterdam part anyway. That review didn’t sound like excellent. Seriously If you were able to watch this on the projector it should be quite obvious about video quality.

There is a vast difference between the 2 shows in video quality.

Compare the Amsterdam show to any PP DVD and it is substandard. I know I’m picky, but this is a easy one to pick on. Even Logan said “the video sucks, what’s wrong with it?”

I know you hate the set list, but Falling Back To Earth is the 2nd song, and is a beast of a track. No slow start in my book.

Love these guys as much as any band right now. I
Just wish they would (could?) have put more into the quality of this one. Look at the Fates Warning show from PP. The video quality is killer! Especially on Blu-ray.



****Todd - I did not watch the Haken show on my projector for obvious reasons....... however, on my 55 in ch Sony with their higher end bluray player, it looks fine on that medium. I did not get to the PP show yet, and I'll send my thoughts out on that when it happens ....... but I did notice the VHS quality on the 1985 song, which again I think is intentional, and the backstage footage was VHS quality as well, again I think intentional ........ the actual show is much better than VHS quality, and you know how picky I am about my video. I'll hit up the PP show tomorrow and compare. The actual camera recording of the show itself, is not bad at all ...... if I put it on my projector, I may think different, but most people are not watching it that way, so on a "normal" TV viewing, this is more than adequate imo .......

We can always debate the set list - but in the end, Haken owned me, and Ross Jennings owned me even more - he was incredible. The show seemed to start off a bit slow in feeling, and then started to build and then grab my by the throat and hold on until the end ....... any Haken fan needs this one .........

User avatar
LarryD
Site Admin
Posts: 6258
Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2004 7:57 pm
Location: Rhode Island / USA

HAKEN / L-1ive CD / DVD concert.....

Postby LarryD » Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:34 am

Same here - wanted to give Haken their own space as I'm sure lots of people are going to be talking about this one for some time ...... I'll keep yakking about this one until I finish up all of the CDs and DVD shows in the set ........

In addition, to start off the Haken thread, here is what they had to say about a new disc in the works .............

"We're currently getting our teeth stuck into the writing process for Album 5 and great ideas are forming and evolving as we speak. It's still early days but there is a sense among us that Haken may take a darker path with this one. However, the playing field is still wide open and the direction this record takes could alter at any point. One thing is certain: We will endeavour to stick to our mandate of strong melodies and Killer riffs!"

User avatar
LarryD
Site Admin
Posts: 6258
Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2004 7:57 pm
Location: Rhode Island / USA

Re: HAKEN / L-1ive CD / DVD concert.....

Postby LarryD » Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:50 am

LarryD wrote:Same here - wanted to give Haken their own space as I'm sure lots of people are going to be talking about this one for some time ...... I'll keep yakking about this one until I finish up all of the CDs and DVD shows in the set ........

In addition, to start off the Haken thread, here is what they had to say about a new disc in the works .............

"We're currently getting our teeth stuck into the writing process for Album 5 and great ideas are forming and evolving as we speak. It's still early days but there is a sense among us that Haken may take a darker path with this one. However, the playing field is still wide open and the direction this record takes could alter at any point. One thing is certain: We will endeavour to stick to our mandate of strong melodies and Killer riffs!"


***Bump.

User avatar
ToddS
Site Admin
Posts: 3091
Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2004 9:38 pm
Location: New Orleans

Re: HAKEN / L-1ive CD / DVD concert.....

Postby ToddS » Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:27 am

Good idea to split the thread, but my last Haken post didn’t survive the cut. :cry:
"My songs become my freedom, and my freedom turns to gold"

User avatar
LarryD
Site Admin
Posts: 6258
Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2004 7:57 pm
Location: Rhode Island / USA

Re: HAKEN / L-1ive CD / DVD concert.....

Postby LarryD » Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:42 am

ToddS wrote:Good idea to split the thread, but my last Haken post didn’t survive the cut. :x


***Thought I got them all in....... I thought the last one was about how shocked you were that I enjoyed the video quailty ...... :?:

User avatar
ToddS
Site Admin
Posts: 3091
Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2004 9:38 pm
Location: New Orleans

Re: HAKEN / L-1ive CD / DVD concert.....

Postby ToddS » Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:07 am

LarryD wrote:
ToddS wrote:Good idea to split the thread, but my last Haken post didn’t survive the cut. :x


***Thought I got them all in....... I thought the last one was about how shocked you were that I enjoyed the video quailty ...... :?:


I posted more. Don't recall everything I said, but did point out I wasn't taking about the added vintage looking video effects. Anyway, I'm bowing out of the video debate. Won't say anymore on it.

Just sampling the CD side of things this morning, and sounding pretty nice!

*I do need to correct myself in that "In Momorium" is the 2nd track and not "Falling Back To Earth". Its an awesome song! Sadly the amazing FBtE isn't on here. Red Giant on here instead. :cry:
"My songs become my freedom, and my freedom turns to gold"

User avatar
LarryD
Site Admin
Posts: 6258
Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2004 7:57 pm
Location: Rhode Island / USA

Re: HAKEN / L-1ive CD / DVD concert.....

Postby LarryD » Wed Jul 04, 2018 1:14 pm

Just got to the Prog Power extra DVD included with this set, and the video difference is night and day compared to the Amsterdam show. Wow !!!!! This is what the whole show should have looked like...... the standard def at PP is astoundingly good......... there are so many reasons for us to sit here and figure out why and how this is, but it doesn't matter ....... No use in offering up my thoughts on why this is, it just is.

I've always thought that the shows we were able to purchase from bands who played Prog Power, the quality was always good .... think Red Circuit, Redemption, Pagan's Mind, etc etc ........and this Haken bonus show is no exception. Superb video and audio all the way around ............ I guess you never know what you have, until you see what you could have ........... :wink:

User avatar
ToddS
Site Admin
Posts: 3091
Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2004 9:38 pm
Location: New Orleans

Re: HAKEN / L-1ive CD / DVD concert.....

Postby ToddS » Wed Jul 04, 2018 2:41 pm

Right on bro! :D
"My songs become my freedom, and my freedom turns to gold"

Harvester
Posts: 462
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2006 5:29 pm

Re: HAKEN / L-1ive CD / DVD concert.....

Postby Harvester » Wed Jul 04, 2018 4:12 pm

LarryD wrote:Just got to the Prog Power extra DVD included with this set, and the video difference is night and day compared to the Amsterdam show. Wow !!!!! This is what the whole show should have looked like...... the standard def at PP is astoundingly good......... there are so many reasons for us to sit here and figure out why and how this is, but it doesn't matter ....... No use in offering up my thoughts on why this is, it just is.


In terms of the audio, Center Stage has a top notch, professional recording studio backstage. Everyone from Elton John to Lady Gaga has recorded shows & albums there.

In terms of the video, we offer bands an insanely cheap packaging including blu-ray shoot. Sadly, bands are still very hesitant to take advantage of it simply because they do not trust the set-up nor the visuals because of the quick change-over & limited/no soundcheck in a festival setting. I bet Haken and crew set up and checked for most of the day for that show with their own engineers, lights, etc. They don't have that luxury in Atlanta.

The wild part is that we still get better quality.

User avatar
LarryD
Site Admin
Posts: 6258
Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2004 7:57 pm
Location: Rhode Island / USA

Re: HAKEN / L-1ive CD / DVD concert.....

Postby LarryD » Wed Jul 04, 2018 4:49 pm

Harvester wrote:
LarryD wrote:Just got to the Prog Power extra DVD included with this set, and the video difference is night and day compared to the Amsterdam show. Wow !!!!! This is what the whole show should have looked like...... the standard def at PP is astoundingly good......... there are so many reasons for us to sit here and figure out why and how this is, but it doesn't matter ....... No use in offering up my thoughts on why this is, it just is.


In terms of the audio, Center Stage has a top notch, professional recording studio backstage. Everyone from Elton John to Lady Gaga has recorded shows & albums there.

In terms of the video, we offer bands an insanely cheap packaging including blu-ray shoot. Sadly, bands are still very hesitant to take advantage of it simply because they do not trust the set-up nor the visuals because of the quick change-over & limited/no soundcheck in a festival setting. I bet Haken and crew set up and checked for most of the day for that show with their own engineers, lights, etc. They don't have that luxury in Atlanta.

The wild part is that we still get better quality.


****No argument there bro .... that's crazy.

User avatar
ToddS
Site Admin
Posts: 3091
Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2004 9:38 pm
Location: New Orleans

Re: HAKEN / L-1ive CD / DVD concert.....

Postby ToddS » Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:58 am

Harvester wrote:
LarryD wrote:Just got to the Prog Power extra DVD included with this set, and the video difference is night and day compared to the Amsterdam show. Wow !!!!! This is what the whole show should have looked like...... the standard def at PP is astoundingly good......... there are so many reasons for us to sit here and figure out why and how this is, but it doesn't matter ....... No use in offering up my thoughts on why this is, it just is.


In terms of the audio, Center Stage has a top notch, professional recording studio backstage. Everyone from Elton John to Lady Gaga has recorded shows & albums there.

In terms of the video, we offer bands an insanely cheap packaging including blu-ray shoot. Sadly, bands are still very hesitant to take advantage of it simply because they do not trust the set-up nor the visuals because of the quick change-over & limited/no soundcheck in a festival setting. I bet Haken and crew set up and checked for most of the day for that show with their own engineers, lights, etc. They don't have that luxury in Atlanta.

The wild part is that we still get better quality.


Looks like a golden opportunity for bands to take advantage of. Wish more of them would.
"My songs become my freedom, and my freedom turns to gold"

User avatar
LarryD
Site Admin
Posts: 6258
Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2004 7:57 pm
Location: Rhode Island / USA

Re: HAKEN / L-1ive CD / DVD concert.....

Postby LarryD » Sat Jul 07, 2018 4:50 pm

I'm not sure what's in the water that Haken is drinking, but this show has solidified Haken as THE prog metal band of our era...... Dream Theater aside. Now we can argue this till the cows come home, but for me personally, this would be true if Haken would go more metal ........ Aquarius and Visions are two of the best prog metal discs ever, and then they switched....... DT went soft on The Astonishing, but they have Labrie who tips the scales.......imo of course. That said, Ross Jennings somehow, after 10 years, upped his game and not only slayed me at the PP Visions show, but on this show as well ....... he just gets better and better as time goes on .........

Haken is the modern prog scale - DT is the established standard....... take your pick, but either way - Haken is on top of the prog world .........

User avatar
Sir Exar Kun
Posts: 2292
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2004 3:25 pm
Location: Columbus, OH

Re: HAKEN / L-1ive CD / DVD concert.....

Postby Sir Exar Kun » Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:50 am

I'm not sure what's in the water that Haken is drinking, but this show has solidified Haken as THE prog metal band of our era...... Dream Theater aside. Now we can argue this till the cows come home, but for me personally, this would be true if Haken would go more metal ........ Aquarius and Visions are two of the best prog metal discs ever, and then they switched....... DT went soft on The Astonishing, but they have Labrie who tips the scales.......imo of course. That said, Ross Jennings somehow, after 10 years, upped his game and not only slayed me at the PP Visions show, but on this show as well ....... he just gets better and better as time goes on .........

Haken is the modern prog scale - DT is the established standard....... take your pick, but either way - Haken is on top of the prog world .........


Agreed 100% here. After they played Columbus last summer, I was so impressed (even having seen them twice at PP now) that I thought they were the new high water mark.... PERIOD.

...and then I saw DT on the I&W and Beyond tour, and was reminded of why they are still the reigning champs.

Haken and Leprous are my two top "young" bands for sure.
Capitalism: God's way of separating the smart from the poor. -Ron Swanson


Return to “PM: Core”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests