Fates Warning / Live Over Europe CD......

The Heart of the Prog/Power Movement

Moderators: TROY or maybe DEBBIE, Stevie WOnder, Digital Man

User avatar
introclaus
Posts: 712
Joined: Sat Apr 17, 2004 7:40 am
Location: Raleigh, NC
Contact:

Re: Fates Warning & Haken Live CDs / DVDs .....

Postby introclaus » Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:29 am

I was just about to post here about the FW live disc to hear if anyone else is as disappointed as I am. The song choices are great, the performances are (obviously) phenomenal, but the production sucks :(

Sure, I was listening through Bluetooth headphones on my morning run but I paid a lot of money for those headphones to get really good quality so I was expecting to be able to get a good idea of the live set. Well, from each song to the next I had to adjust the volume level as they apparently didn’t find that important to do from their end... what the heck? This is 2018 - I was expecting a lot more from a band of this size. Anyone else feel that way?
Claus Jensen

The Surfing Alien
Posts: 63
Joined: Wed May 19, 2004 6:36 pm

Re: Fates Warning & Haken Live CDs / DVDs .....

Postby The Surfing Alien » Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:08 pm

The Fates Warning clips on Youtube look good. Good camera angles and editing is not jumpy. Looks like a smaller club so you get that oversaturated lighting. Would've been nicer in a bigger theater with more interesting lighting setup. Sound is very IMHO. Maybe you guys are too picky :)
btw, for Bluetooth headphone users. It's important to have both earphone and the player/phone support transmission in a more detailed codec like AptX or AAC. Sounds better that way :)

User avatar
LarryD
Site Admin
Posts: 6304
Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2004 7:57 pm
Location: Rhode Island / USA

Re: Fates Warning & Haken Live CDs / DVDs .....

Postby LarryD » Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:23 am

Onto the Fates Warning CD ........ I went right to the 2nd CD of this set ...... and right to The Eleventh Hour which is probably my favorite FW song of all time, and Parallels being my fav FW disc as well ........ then I started from the beginning of Disc 2, and played it right through once --- as far as live discs go, I am not finding any of the problems people are finding with this live sound of theirs......I've heard lots worse, and from where I'm sitting, it's actually pretty good. Of course, Ray can't hit those high notes anymore, and that is to be expected but he sings the songs in a way that doesn't make you miss them.

The sound "might" be a little muffled if I can come up with any bitch about it - and I haven't played Disc 1 yet, but so far Disc 2 sounds very nice, for a live disc, and for me this is the better set list of the two anyway .......if you want to get picky, maybe the vocals are a bit up front in the mix, but it's Ray Alder for God's sake !!!!!! 8)

If the band or I were to end our relationship right now, this is not a bad way to go out ....... they just launched into "Point of View" and I'm hooked .........

if you're into FW and / or into live discs - you won't be disappointed. I'm loving this ..........

User avatar
GaetanL
Posts: 669
Joined: Tue May 25, 2004 9:34 pm
Location: Quebec City, QC, Canada
Contact:

Re: Fates Warning & Haken Live CDs / DVDs .....

Postby GaetanL » Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:47 pm

Am I missing something or Fates Warning is only a double CD release (no DVD)?
Gaétan
Musique Progressive Dynamique
Site consacré au métal progressif, au néo-prog et au hard rock
http://www.musiqueprog.net

User avatar
LarryD
Site Admin
Posts: 6304
Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2004 7:57 pm
Location: Rhode Island / USA

Re: Fates Warning & Haken Live CDs / DVDs .....

Postby LarryD » Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:43 pm

GaetanL wrote:Am I missing something or Fates Warning is only a double CD release (no DVD)?


*** CD only ..... :(

User avatar
LarryD
Site Admin
Posts: 6304
Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2004 7:57 pm
Location: Rhode Island / USA

Fates Warning / Live Over Europe CD......

Postby LarryD » Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:29 am

I didn't think it was right to keep both the Fates and Haken live show in one post - so I'm splitting them up to make it easier to read. Didn't make sense to have to sift through tons of Haken talk to find some scoop on the Fates discs....... so have at it !!!!!


***Bump.

User avatar
introclaus
Posts: 712
Joined: Sat Apr 17, 2004 7:40 am
Location: Raleigh, NC
Contact:

Re: Fates Warning / Live Over Europe CD......

Postby introclaus » Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:56 am

I still stand by my comments, now having listened multiple times to the full album; it’s a wonderful selection of amazing songs, performed by one of my favorite bands of all time, delivering top notch performances, but unfortunately given a subpar production value that this live album didn’t deserve.
Claus Jensen

User avatar
LarryD
Site Admin
Posts: 6304
Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2004 7:57 pm
Location: Rhode Island / USA

Re: Fates Warning / Live Over Europe CD......

Postby LarryD » Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:09 am

introclaus wrote:I still stand by my comments, now having listened multiple times to the full album; it’s a wonderful selection of amazing songs, performed by one of my favorite bands of all time, delivering top notch performances, but unfortunately given a subpar production value that this live album didn’t deserve.


***I'll agree with you....but I did notice that ( and it's obvious given the way they recorded it ) ..... some of the songs, as you said, change in volume and tone along the way....... having recorded these songs in different places at varying times are going to do that to the songs, and you already know this ..... I think doing it that way hurts the continuity of the songs, the crowd reactions are different, and moreover, the venue itself changes the song sounds. There are a couple of songs as I'm going through where I'm saying, " this sounds pretty damn good " and then the next song the drum sound is terrible ........

When asked about why they did it that way - aside from the obvious " we want to include our friends from all over the world on this disc as a tribute " ..... Ray said something like " well, I'm not perfect after all " ..... I'm sure meaning > I can't hit the high notes anymore, I was off that night, I was on that night, etc etc ...... so that part I get.

In the end - it's how much one can tolerate of this shift in sound from time to time throughout the show ........ I have to admit, I enjoyed disc 2 thoroughly, but I have not gotten to Disc 1 yet........

User avatar
introclaus
Posts: 712
Joined: Sat Apr 17, 2004 7:40 am
Location: Raleigh, NC
Contact:

Re: Fates Warning / Live Over Europe CD......

Postby introclaus » Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:24 am

LarryD wrote:
introclaus wrote:I still stand by my comments, now having listened multiple times to the full album; it’s a wonderful selection of amazing songs, performed by one of my favorite bands of all time, delivering top notch performances, but unfortunately given a subpar production value that this live album didn’t deserve.


***I'll agree with you....but I did notice that ( and it's obvious given the way they recorded it ) ..... some of the songs, as you said, change in volume and tone along the way....... having recorded these songs in different places at varying times are going to do that to the songs, and you already know this ..... I think doing it that way hurts the continuity of the songs, the crowd reactions are different, and moreover, the venue itself changes the song sounds. There are a couple of songs as I'm going through where I'm saying, " this sounds pretty damn good " and then the next song the drum sound is terrible ........

When asked about why they did it that way - aside from the obvious " we want to include our friends from all over the world on this disc as a tribute " ..... Ray said something like " well, I'm not perfect after all " ..... I'm sure meaning > I can't hit the high notes anymore, I was off that night, I was on that night, etc etc ...... so that part I get.

In the end - it's how much one can tolerate of this shift in sound from time to time throughout the show ........ I have to admit, I enjoyed disc 2 thoroughly, but I have not gotten to Disc 1 yet........


Right, I understand that it’s recorded at various locations but you would think that in the final mastering they’d at least get the overall volume level evened out?!

Either way, you make a good point with “how much are you willing to tolerate”: my conclusion is that as for listening to the songs individually and acknowledging what an amazing band FW is, the disc works perfectly. Listening in the background as quality music but not necessarily paying too much attention, it’ll work as well. However, in a situation like the one I mentioned where it’s right in my ears and I have no chance of changing volume levels on the fly and I’m focused on listening to the entire disc, then it doesn’t work for me.
Claus Jensen

User avatar
ToddS
Site Admin
Posts: 3103
Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2004 9:38 pm
Location: New Orleans

Re: Fates Warning / Live Over Europe CD......

Postby ToddS » Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:24 am

From the time this was announced I wasn’t convinced I needed this. A DVD or Blu-ray, and I was in blind. But, I figured if the production is great then I would grab the cd.

Reading what you guys are saying, it appears there are issues. Not leveling the sound across tracks boggles the mind. That would really annoy me as it has Claus.
"My songs become my freedom, and my freedom turns to gold"

User avatar
LarryD
Site Admin
Posts: 6304
Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2004 7:57 pm
Location: Rhode Island / USA

Re: Fates Warning / Live Over Europe CD......

Postby LarryD » Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:40 am

Right, I understand that it’s recorded at various locations but you would think that in the final mastering they’d at least get the overall volume level evened out?!

Either way, you make a good point with “how much are you willing to tolerate”: my conclusion is that as for listening to the songs individually and acknowledging what an amazing band FW is, the disc works perfectly. Listening in the background as quality music but not necessarily paying too much attention, it’ll work as well. However, in a situation like the one I mentioned where it’s right in my ears and I have no chance of changing volume levels on the fly and I’m focused on listening to the entire disc, then it doesn’t work for me..


***I'll agree.

User avatar
LarryD
Site Admin
Posts: 6304
Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2004 7:57 pm
Location: Rhode Island / USA

Re: Fates Warning / Live Over Europe CD......

Postby LarryD » Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:12 pm

Regardless of what we think of the set list, or what we think of the sound, or the artwork, or whatever bitches we can come up with ......... I just got to Disc 1, and Ray Alder is just tearing it up ....... if this is the last FW live disc, or even studio disc, Ray is going out with a bang....... he is bringing life to these songs as only he can, and I'm loving this whole damn 2-CD set. I didn't think I'd ever get fired up over another FW disc the way I used to, but with this release, I'm stoked to go back to my favorite Fates CDs and pull em all out ..... So good to feel this way about a band after all these years ....... Go Ray !!!!!!!!!

User avatar
LarryD
Site Admin
Posts: 6304
Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2004 7:57 pm
Location: Rhode Island / USA

Re: Fates Warning / Live Over Europe CD......

Postby LarryD » Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:04 pm

Are Claus and I the only two guys that have heard this thing ???? if you are a Fates fan, this is essential ............

Mark
Posts: 17
Joined: Wed May 02, 2018 8:05 pm

Re: Fates Warning / Live Over Europe CD......

Postby Mark » Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:21 pm

I have it but I haven't gotten it into the CD player yet. Should be able to tonight though.

User avatar
GaetanL
Posts: 669
Joined: Tue May 25, 2004 9:34 pm
Location: Quebec City, QC, Canada
Contact:

Re: Fates Warning / Live Over Europe CD......

Postby GaetanL » Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:26 pm

LarryD wrote:Are Claus and I the only two guys that have heard this thing ???? if you are a Fates fan, this is essential ............

Not purchased yet but will...
Gaétan
Musique Progressive Dynamique
Site consacré au métal progressif, au néo-prog et au hard rock
http://www.musiqueprog.net

Mark
Posts: 17
Joined: Wed May 02, 2018 8:05 pm

Re: Fates Warning / Live Over Europe CD......

Postby Mark » Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:21 pm

Just played disc 1 and THIS IS AWESOME. I couldn't be happier. I love Fates - and am partial to Ray's era - and this is just another reason why.

User avatar
LarryD
Site Admin
Posts: 6304
Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2004 7:57 pm
Location: Rhode Island / USA

Re: Fates Warning / Live Over Europe CD......

Postby LarryD » Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:39 am

Mark wrote:Just played disc 1 and THIS IS AWESOME. I couldn't be happier. I love Fates - and am partial to Ray's era - and this is just another reason why.


***Cool !!!! Disc 1 is awesome - but Disc 2 (to me) is super awesome ........ What a great job these guys did with these songs, especially Ray.

Sparky
Posts: 1106
Joined: Mon Apr 19, 2004 1:33 pm

Re: Fates Warning / Live Over Europe CD......

Postby Sparky » Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:50 pm

I'm 6 tunes into the Fates (on Spotify) and it sounds exactly like I'd expect it to - and this is perfectly fine live mix, really good, even - lots of clarity in the instrumentation, which I love. Volume is consistent, too.
I'll be the judge of what's good and what isn't, thank you... ;)

User avatar
Sir Exar Kun
Posts: 2313
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2004 3:25 pm
Location: Columbus, OH

Re: Fates Warning / Live Over Europe CD......

Postby Sir Exar Kun » Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:20 am

This disc is SUPERB. Only through disc one so far, but honestly.... You couldn't ask for a better track list than this offers up. No issues at all with the sound; it has a great, raw live sound to the music, that really captures the essence of seeing them in person. Yes, I can notice a couple of times the switching between recordings in the crowd noises. Sure, I miss some additional between song banter that likely got chopped. And YES, there is no good reason for this not to be on DVD also! That all being said, none of that keeps me from enjoying what I hear.

Not only has it been a great year for new studio material, but how about these live albums??? Ayreon, Haken, Neal Morse, this Fates..... The new Devin just arrived yesterday, and I have no doubt that will be great also.
Capitalism: God's way of separating the smart from the poor. -Ron Swanson

User avatar
LarryD
Site Admin
Posts: 6304
Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2004 7:57 pm
Location: Rhode Island / USA

Re: Fates Warning / Live Over Europe CD......

Postby LarryD » Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:55 am

Sir Exar Kun wrote:This disc is SUPERB. Only through disc one so far, but honestly.... You couldn't ask for a better track list than this offers up. No issues at all with the sound; it has a great, raw live sound to the music, that really captures the essence of seeing them in person. Yes, I can notice a couple of times the switching between recordings in the crowd noises. Sure, I miss some additional between song banter that likely got chopped. And YES, there is no good reason for this not to be on DVD also! That all being said, none of that keeps me from enjoying what I hear.

Not only has it been a great year for new studio material, but how about these live albums??? Ayreon, Haken, Neal Morse, this Fates..... The new Devin just arrived yesterday, and I have no doubt that will be great also.


***Right on the money with all of these thoughts !!!!!!! This Fates disc is making me want to pull out all of my FW collection and go through it all again .... which I will soon...... I never considered FW to be an "emotional" band, meaning they aren't noted to stir up feelings in one personally, but this disc set list, Ray's voice, something is reaching me emotionally. I am loving this disc set to death....... If FW never releases anything again, this live set will do nicely for a farewell....... but let's hope for the alternative........

User avatar
Chris R
Posts: 484
Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:25 pm
Location: Tampa Bay

Re: Fates Warning / Live Over Europe CD......

Postby Chris R » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:20 am

Sir Exar Kun wrote:This disc is SUPERB. Only through disc one so far, but honestly.... You couldn't ask for a better track list than this offers up. No issues at all with the sound; it has a great, raw live sound to the music, that really captures the essence of seeing them in person. Yes, I can notice a couple of times the switching between recordings in the crowd noises. Sure, I miss some additional between song banter that likely got chopped. And YES, there is no good reason for this not to be on DVD also! That all being said, none of that keeps me from enjoying what I hear.

Not only has it been a great year for new studio material, but how about these live albums??? Ayreon, Haken, Neal Morse, this Fates..... The new Devin just arrived yesterday, and I have no doubt that will be great also.

The new Devin is incredible
Tarja is a female woman
Image

User avatar
Sir Exar Kun
Posts: 2313
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2004 3:25 pm
Location: Columbus, OH

Re: Fates Warning / Live Over Europe CD......

Postby Sir Exar Kun » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:07 am

The new Devin is incredible


I watched a good portion of it last night, and you are right. I was surprised to see the orchestra was not involved in the Ocean Machine set. The band looks VERY small on that massive stage without the orchestra behind them.

Devin keeps putting out DVDs, but what I love about them is they are all very unique. This is definitely the heavy, atmospheric side of his material, and in this setting it absolutely SHINES.
Capitalism: God's way of separating the smart from the poor. -Ron Swanson


Return to “PM: Core”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Sparky and 11 guests