WALLS OF BABYLON - A Portrait Of Memories

The Heart of the Prog/Power Movement

Moderators: TROY or maybe DEBBIE, Stevie WOnder, Digital Man

Guillaume

WALLS OF BABYLON - A Portrait Of Memories

Postby Guillaume » Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:25 pm

Here's some damn fine melodic prog/power metal stuff from Italy. Lots of nice riffs and melodies! It should appeal to some people here I think.

A review:
https://www.therocktologist.com/walls-o ... ories.html

Let Me Try
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-uawcJ05c8

Forgotten Desires
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msGMilIC97E

G

Guillaume

Re: WALLS OF BABYLON - A Portrait Of Memories

Postby Guillaume » Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:15 am

So, noone cared about this? I'm surprised.

introclaus

Postby introclaus » Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:50 pm

Musically it was good but the vocals were kinda bleh ... so, to avoid this getting into the usual discussion about how you and I almost never seem to agree on vocalists I decided not to say anything. But .... since no one else has any comments I’ll give you mine :)
Claus Jensen

LarryD
Site Admin

Postby LarryD » Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:38 pm

I didn't comment either because it's not my usual listening genre........ I found it too linear of course......... :wink:

Sir Exar Kun

Postby Sir Exar Kun » Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:00 pm

Been out of town on vacation..... This sounds pretty good to me.
Capitalism: God's way of separating the smart from the poor. -Ron Swanson

Guillaume

Postby Guillaume » Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:27 pm

introclaus wrote:Musically it was good but the vocals were kinda bleh ... so, to avoid this getting into the usual discussion about how you and I almost never seem to agree on vocalists I decided not to say anything. But .... since no one else has any comments I’ll give you mine :)

He's surely not the greatest singer ever, but I think he does a fine job and won't stop anyone (except maybe you :wink: ) to enjoy the album...

Guillaume

Postby Guillaume » Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:28 pm

LarryD wrote:I didn't comment either because it's not my usual listening genre........ I found it too linear of course......... :wink:

Yet, you still often enjoy stuff more "linear" than this, no? :twisted:

Guillaume

Postby Guillaume » Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:28 pm

Sir Exar Kun wrote:Been out of town on vacation..... This sounds pretty good to me.

It indeed is quite good IMO.

introclaus

Postby introclaus » Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:17 pm

Guillaume wrote:
introclaus wrote:Musically it was good but the vocals were kinda bleh ... so, to avoid this getting into the usual discussion about how you and I almost never seem to agree on vocalists I decided not to say anything. But .... since no one else has any comments I’ll give you mine :)

He's surely not the greatest singer ever, but I think he does a fine job and won't stop anyone (except maybe you :wink: ) to enjoy the album...

Well actually that is exactly the problem - he is not a good singer and it does stop me from enjoying the album and I could imagine it would do so for others as well.
Claus Jensen

Guillaume

Postby Guillaume » Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:25 pm

introclaus wrote:
Guillaume wrote:

Well actually that is exactly the problem - he is not a good singer and it does stop me from enjoying the album and I could imagine it would do so for others as well.

You and the singers... :shock: Maybe we've already been through this, but what are your fave singers?

introclaus

Postby introclaus » Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:17 am

Guillaume wrote:
introclaus wrote:
Guillaume wrote:He's surely not the greatest singer ever, but I think he does a fine job and won't stop anyone (except maybe you :wink: ) to enjoy the album...

You and the singers... :shock: Maybe we've already been through this, but what are your fave singers?

Focusing on the MELODIC hard rock and metal only (not counting in the obvious ones like mercury, Walsh, perry etc. as those aren’t in the genres we typically discuss here - and not counting in any of the harsher style singers even though I like/love a lot of those):

Jeff Scott Soto (my absolute favorite singer)

And then I’ll put in (in no particular order) names like Dio, Dickinson, Damien Wilson, Tony Martin, Graham Bonnet, Mike Baker, Thomas Wikstrom, Apollo, Kiske, Doogie White, Midnight, Nils Patrik Johansson, King Diamond and probably a few more I forgot ...

In the next category, where I love their voice 95% of the time yet they sometimes go off in directions that annoy me you’ll find: Jorn, Russell Allen, Geoff Tate, Kelly Sundown, Khan, laBrie, John West (yes that Feinstein disc ruined it), Ian Parry, Danny Cecati, Andre Matos, Ray Alder, Buddy Lackey (Devon Graves), DC Cooper, David Readman, Mike Dimeio ...

And obviously I love certain younger singers like Tommy (7wonder), Michael (circus max), johan norrby (jono) etc ...
Last edited by introclaus on Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
Claus Jensen

Guillaume

Postby Guillaume » Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:35 am

introclaus wrote:
Guillaume wrote:
introclaus wrote:

Focusing on the MELODIC hard rock and metal only (not counting in the obvious ones like mercury, Walsh, perry etc. as those aren’t in the genres we typically discuss here - and not counting in any of the harsher style singers even though I like/love a lot of those):

And then I’ll put in (in no particular order) names like Dio, Dickinson, Damien Wilson, Tony Martin, Graham Bonnet, Mike Baker, Thomas Wikstrom, Apollo, Kiske, Doogie White, Midnight, Nils Patrik Johansson and probably a few more I forgot ...

In the next category, where I love their voice 95% of the time yet they sometimes go off in directions that annoy me you’ll find: Jorn, Russell Allen, Tate, Kelly Sundown, Khan, laBrie, John West (yes that Feinstein disc ruined it), Ian Parry, Danny Cecati, Ray Alder, DC Cooper, Mike Dimeio ...

And obviously I love certain younger singers like Tommy (7wonder), Michael (circus max), johan norrby (jono) etc ...

This is funny that we argue like this on singers, while we share a whole lot of faves! My list would not include high pitchers like Midnight and Tate or LaBrie, but otherwise, I like pretty much each one you mentioned.

For singers less than 20-25 years active, I'd add
Diego Valdez
Ronnie Romero
George Eikosipentakis (InnerWish)
Peika Heino (Leverage, Brother Firetribe)
John ‘Jaycee’ Cuijpers (Praying Mantis, Ayreon (live shows)
Nils Molin (Dynazty, Amaranthe)
Nathan James (Inglorious)
Dino Jelusic (Animal Drive)

Also Todd Michael Hall (Riot V, Jack Starr's Burning Starr) although the fact he sings almost only high in Riot V bugs me quite a bit.

I guess you're just way pickier than me on other vocalists, or hear things I don't...

G

Sir Exar Kun

Postby Sir Exar Kun » Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:58 am

Good call on this one..... Haven't seen anything on Leverage in many moons now. Are they even still active?

Dino is also a great up-and-comer, and I suspect we'll be seeing him pop up in multiple outfits ala Ronnie pretty soon.

Guillaume

Postby Guillaume » Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:33 pm

Sir Exar Kun wrote:

Good call on this one..... Haven't seen anything on Leverage in many moons now. Are they even still active?

They're back, they have a new EP due later this year I think, but Peika is no more the singer... :cry:
Kimmo Blom (Urban Tale, Raskasta Joulua) is the new guy and he's good IMO, but no Peika...

Check out these songs, I think they're very good:

Red Moon Over Sonora
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8HlQs9biK4I

Wheels From Hell
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQpEfv9S3RY

Sir Exar Kun

Postby Sir Exar Kun » Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:57 pm

They're back, they have a new EP due later this year I think, but Peika is no more the singer... :cry:
Kimmo Blom (Urban Tale, Raskasta Joulua) is the new guy and he's good IMO, but no Peika...

Check out these songs, I think they're very good:

Red Moon Over Sonora
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8HlQs9biK4I

Wheels From Hell
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQpEfv9S3RY

Thanks!!! He's got an odd Tony Kakko meets Udo Dirkschneider thing going..... Vocal melody is VERY Sonata influenced.

introclaus

Postby introclaus » Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:50 pm

Guillaume wrote:
introclaus wrote:
Guillaume wrote:

And then I’ll put in (in no particular order) names like Dio, Dickinson, Damien Wilson, Tony Martin, Graham Bonnet, Mike Baker, Thomas Wikstrom, Apollo, Kiske, Doogie White, Midnight, Nils Patrik Johansson and probably a few more I forgot ...

In the next category, where I love their voice 95% of the time yet they sometimes go off in directions that annoy me you’ll find: Jorn, Russell Allen, Tate, Kelly Sundown, Khan, laBrie, John West (yes that Feinstein disc ruined it), Ian Parry, Danny Cecati, Ray Alder, DC Cooper, Mike Dimeio ...

This is funny that we argue like this on singers, while we share a whole lot of faves! My list would not include high pitchers like Midnight and Tate or LaBrie, but otherwise, I like pretty much each one you mentioned.

For singers less than 20-25 years active, I'd add
Diego Valdez
Ronnie Romero
George Eikosipentakis (InnerWish)
John ‘Jaycee’ Cuijpers (Praying Mantis, Ayreon (live shows)
Nils Molin (Dynazty, Amaranthe)
Nathan James (Inglorious)
Dino Jelusic (Animal Drive)

Also Todd Michael Hall (Riot V, Jack Starr's Burning Starr) although the fact he sings almost only high in Riot V bugs me quite a bit.

Of those I only like Diego and Nils enough to the point where I’d check out a band due to their presence only - the rest doesn’t excite me (and you know how I feel about Romero - the rainbow killer!).

Todd Michael Hall is a take it or leave it kind of singer - sometimes he is okay and sometimes he is flat out annoying. The latest Riot V disc sucks partly because of his vocal performance and partly because the songs just aren’t very good.

Guillaume wrote:I guess you're just way pickier than me on other vocalists, or hear things I don't...

G

I will happily admit I’m picky - I won’t spend my time on stuff that’s not of high enough quality (in my opinion) to listen to. Why would anyone want to compromise on what they listen to?
Claus Jensen

prog_powermetal99

Postby prog_powermetal99 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:17 pm

Guillaume, I agree on Leverage big time!!!
Peika Heino is an absolutely amazing under-rated singer. I love his mid-ranges, especially on songs like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZFi_g3jyGw

the vocals on this are soooo good and emotional, and he doesn't sound like anyone else, which is another plus

I also love the dude from Eclipse! Another great voice!!

Guillaume

Postby Guillaume » Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:17 am

introclaus wrote:Of those I only like Diego and Nils enough to the point where I’d check out a band due to their presence only - the rest doesn’t excite me (and you know how I feel about Romero - the rainbow killer!).

I'll say again that Romero's vocals are the only saving grace of this reformed Rainbow. Blackmore's lifeless tone and playing just doesn't cut it anymore and the songs are played so slooooow.

Guillaume

Postby Guillaume » Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:19 am

prog_powermetal99 wrote:Guillaume, I agree on Leverage big time!!!
Peika Heino is an absolutely amazing under-rated singer. I love his mid-ranges, especially on songs like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZFi_g3jyGw

the vocals on this are soooo good and emotional, and he doesn't sound like anyone else, which is another plus

I also love the dude from Eclipse! Another great voice!!

Peika and Eric rule mightily indeed. Too bad Peika is now only in a band (Brother Firetribe) that I don't care a lot above.... Leverage are so much more enjoyable than BF IMO...

Guillaume

Postby Guillaume » Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:33 pm

Forgot to mention that Anders Engberg (Sorcerer, ex-Lions Share, ex-Section A, ex-220 Volt) is up there in my list of fave singers as well. He can turn a good disc into a killer one just with magic vocals. Last Sorcerer is such a killer album and he's the main reason.

introclaus

Postby introclaus » Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:13 pm

Guillaume wrote:Forgot to mention that Anders Engberg (Sorcerer, ex-Lions Share, ex-Section A, ex-220 Volt) is up there in my list of fave singers as well. He can turn a good disc into a killer one just with magic vocals. Last Sorcerer is such a killer album and he's the main reason.

Andy is great for sure. He is right below the first category I mentioned .... fits in with Jorn, Dimeio etc (those that are mostly amazing but once in a while delivers a subpar or “phone-it-in performance).
Claus Jensen

introclaus

Postby introclaus » Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:14 pm

Guillaume wrote:
introclaus wrote:Of those I only like Diego and Nils enough to the point where I’d check out a band due to their presence only - the rest doesn’t excite me (and you know how I feel about Romero - the rainbow killer!).

I'll say again that Romero's vocals are the only saving grace of this reformed Rainbow. Blackmore's lifeless tone and playing just doesn't cut it anymore and the songs are played so slooooow.

Completely disagree - oh well :)
Claus Jensen

introclaus

Postby introclaus » Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:35 am

Guillaume wrote:Peika Heino (Leverage, Brother Firetribe)
G

Is this the guy on “diamond in the fire pit”? I made it through the album twice on my morning run today and I was thinking what a great disc but shame about the singer ... there’s something completely off putting about his melodies on this album that just does not fit with the style of music at all.
Claus Jensen

Guillaume

Postby Guillaume » Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:50 am

introclaus wrote:
G

Is this the guy on “diamond in the fire pit”? I made it through the album twice on my morning run today and I was thinking what a great disc but shame about the singer ... there’s something completely off putting about his melodies on this album that just does not fit with the style of music at all.

Here you go again... :shock:

That being said, I don't know Brother Firetribe a lot, keys are too upfront and it's too light overall most of the time. But Leverage just rules and the melodies are awesome. Peika is just a great singer in Leverage. Never heard bad words about him or his melodies..

Sir Exar Kun

Postby Sir Exar Kun » Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:12 am

Favorite Leverage song right here..... Very heavy 80's hard rock vibe, which I love in this setting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbExFlJEs74

Guillaume

Postby Guillaume » Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:36 pm

Sir Exar Kun wrote:Favorite Leverage song right here..... Very heavy 80's hard rock vibe, which I love in this setting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbExFlJEs74

Yup. Killer song and killer vocals.

introclaus

Postby introclaus » Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:30 pm

Guillaume wrote:
introclaus wrote:
G

That being said, I don't know Brother Firetribe a lot, keys are too upfront and it's too light overall most of the time. But Leverage just rules and the melodies are awesome. Peika is just a great singer in Leverage. Never heard bad words about him or his melodies..

“Here you go again” ??? Really ??? I’m not allowed to have an opinion? What a nice comment! Thanks G!

So, the singer sounds good (great even) in Leverage, but very underwhelming in Brother Firetribe. The music in BF calls for a different style of vocals, something much smoother, and he just doesn’t have that. Neither does Björn Strid which is my big (one and only) problem with Night Flight Orchestra that essentially is in the same genre of ultra slick pop AOR.

In Leverage his voice gets to shine with lots of power and I like it there. Their music on the other hand, while good (quite good indeed) doesn’t excite me as much as BF does. Probably because there are way more bands doing what Leverage does and many of them do it even better, whereas there really aren’t many nowadays like Brother Firetribe
Claus Jensen

gazinwales

Postby gazinwales » Sat Jul 21, 2018 3:36 am

i like both bands and BFT are pure AOR, hence they are wimpy.
Leverage not really interested in that much now that Pekka and main songwriter Torsti have left

Guillaume

Postby Guillaume » Sun Jul 22, 2018 2:58 pm

introclaus wrote:
Guillaume wrote:
introclaus wrote:

“Here you go again” ??? Really ??? I’m not allowed to have an opinion? What a nice comment! Thanks G!

So, the singer sounds good (great even) in Leverage, but very underwhelming in Brother Firetribe. The music in BF calls for a different style of vocals, something much smoother, and he just doesn’t have that. Neither does Björn Strid which is my big (one and only) problem with Night Flight Orchestra that essentially is in the same genre of ultra slick pop AOR.

In Leverage his voice gets to shine with lots of power and I like it there. Their music on the other hand, while good (quite good indeed) doesn’t excite me as much as BF does. Probably because there are way more bands doing what Leverage does and many of them do it even better, whereas there really aren’t many nowadays like Brother Firetribe

Man, don't take it too seriously... I wrote "Here you go again" because it was yet another case of a singer I think is great that you found bad... It happens often between us but it brings some nice discussion, there is no problems with that. Are we good now? 8)

What I heard of BF didn't thrill me but it wasn't because of the vox. In fact, it was the best thing in the band for me as far as I remember. Now, I'll have to revisit some of their stuff because of your post. But I have a hard time to think a great singer like Peika would rule in Leverage as he does and be weak in Brother Firetribe...

BTW, we disagree again on a singer. I think Bjorn does a great job in Night Flight Orchestra... ;)

Return to “PM: Core”