My Top 3 so far - and some other thoughts.......

The Heart of the Prog/Power Movement

Moderators: TROY or maybe DEBBIE, Stevie WOnder, Digital Man

LarryD
Site Admin

My Top 3 so far - and some other thoughts.......

Postby LarryD » Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:43 am

I've got so much time to play and check out music lately it's not even funny - it evens becomes tedious after awhile if that makes sense. Having an injury that keeps you home dictates that you do one of two things - play music or watch TV. I've opted for the music, and luckily this has been a stellar year. And I mean stellar. There have also been some stellar disappointments as well, and we'll get to that ...... but first, I've had a chance to really dissect lots of the music we've hit this year, and I've come up with at least my Top 3 for the year - and this will change of course, with the new Redemption, Seventh Wonder and Kingcrow and Mystery on the horizon - but it will be interesting to see where they all place. The Top 10 will definitely change, but for now, here is what sits atop the throne:

1) Tomorrow's Eve / Mirror of Creation Part 3 -
Yes, I've finally decided over the weekend, that this is my #1 disc for the year, topping and displacing Ostura which I said couldn't be done. With the mood I've been in lately, it's only natural that the more aggressive, proggy, in your face disc takes me over and becomes an extension of how I'm feeling these days. It has surpassed "Tales of Serpentia" long ago as being better and that was one of my favs..... I think the combination of Martin's powerful / aggressive vocals mixed in with the pounding beats and heavy guitar just make me feel nasty and good at the same time about things......This could change - but right now this is the disc that makes me forget about the shit I'm going through on a daily basis.

2) Ostura / The Room -
Not am I only surprised at how many people did not have this one on their lists, or even heard it yet, but I'm surprised that it got knocked out of the #1 spot at all for me.....again, it's a complete mood thing, but I think I need the more aggressive approach of T-Eve than I do the more slick / polished / "pretty" style of Ostura. Of course, I love it, and it doesn't get any more polished than this, but I don't want to feel good right now, I want to beat the shit out of someone and T-Eve playing in the background fits that bill nicely. If I want calm and beauty, I'll put this on.

3) Arena / Double Vision -
I never thought I'd see another Arena on my Top 10 list ever again, much less a Top 3, especially after Pepper's Ghost (2005) was the last Arena disc I went ape over.....we talked about this before, and I found it hard to accept the Manzi era, but with this disc, I'm in and it's back to the "old" Arena for me along with the obligatory 23:00 song that they neglected to put on their last two discs for me. Bastards. But they learned and came back to kick my ass old fashioned style. Where this will end up on the list is a mystery, especially with a new Mystery disc on the horizon ...... :wink: For now, they can enjoy the Top 3rd spot on my list and I'm enjoying it being there at the moment....

The new Amorphis will probably end up on my Top 10 list and I don't even own it yet ...... from what I've heard of it, it's an ass kicker and one of the best this casual fan has heard from them. I was a Skyforger fan, which is when I started listening, and this disc just surpasses anything I've heard from them since and I've everything they have released since that disc.......

Subsignal will have it's own spot on my list as well ........

Disappointments - and not necessarily in the disc itself ........

Kamelot / The Shadow Theory -
I'm not disappointed in the disc, I actually like it. What I am disappointed in is that it's just "another" Kamelot disc with Tommy on it, and nothing more special than the previous two. I'm also disappointed knowing that it probably won't make my top 10 list this year, and every Kamelot disc in history has been on my top 10 list - just because they are Kamelot. But this time, it might not happen. And anyone who has jumped off the bandwagon or hasn't even heard this yet, or has no desire to, I don't blame..... I'm hanging in as long as I can.....

Orphaned Land / Unsung Prophets -
This will also not make my Top 10 list, but I'm disappointed at how little this disc was talked about since it's release. I liked OrWarrior better, but this is still good...but not great.

Therion / Beloved Antichrist -
A 3-CD set from Therion and no one gives a shit ??? Wow !!! But that includes me as well ..... what happened ?????

Fates Warning and Haken live discs / shows on the way ..... I don't even have these yet, they should be here any day now, and I'm already pissed about the poor quality of sound and video on both of them, although I'm told that the audio is good on the Haken CD. I can't comment except for the Youtube clips I've heard from FW, so I will wait to get them, play them, and let the bitching begin.......

Lords of Black / Icons -
I wanted this to be better than II, it's not. Damn.

Hekz / Invicta -
Not only am I pissed that I lost this disc in the house flood I had recently, I'm also pissed than no one but me gives a shit about this band ......well the others who do not even come close to those who don't. And, it looks like I have to buy another disc as the original has disappeared in the mess below........

Digital Man

Re: My Top 3 so far - and some other thoughts.......

Postby Digital Man » Tue Jul 03, 2018 2:26 pm

The Orphaned Land is my #1 disk of the year and I am pretty sure it will remain there until the end of the year. It truly is as good as Mabool if not better and that's saying a lot.

#2 is Amorphis.

Beyond that not much else has connected with me yet this year, but there are lots of disks coming out soon that may change that.
Güy

David White

Postby David White » Wed Jul 04, 2018 4:34 pm

>>> Therion / Beloved Antichrist -
>>> A 3-CD set from Therion and no one gives a shit ??? Wow !!! But that includes me as well ..... what happened ?????

I LOVE Beloved Antichrist. Like The Astonishing you have to accept this disc is a little different, lighter, more melodic. But I love both CDs.

Nos

Postby Nos » Wed Jul 04, 2018 5:34 pm

I'll admit, I haven't actually heard any of your top three albums yet. There's been so much to get through, and prog metal has been getting shunted to the back of the line a lot of the time.

I do agree with you on the new Kamelot being ho-hum and boring. I get that it's great for their business, but whether you listen to the albums or not anymore, you already know exactly what they sound like. They're making the segue into being a live act that makes albums just to remind people they're out on the road.

The wait for Redemption is growing short, now. I'm listening to it as I type this. It should kick up some discussion around here.

LarryD
Site Admin

Postby LarryD » Wed Jul 04, 2018 5:54 pm

I'll admit, I haven't actually heard any of your top three albums yet. There's been so much to get through, and prog metal has been getting shunted to the back of the line a lot of the time.

***Well, you're not a prog dude, so it makes sense....... but, you should give Ostura a listen. It's got the prog thing going on, but it also has a lot of the melodies, pop if you will, drama, that you seem to go for ......it's also huge. Epic, dramatic, melodic prog metal -- I've said it a million times before, take Epica, Within Temptation, SX and throw in the blender. it's that good.

I do agree with you on the new Kamelot being ho-hum and boring. I get that it's great for their business, but whether you listen to the albums or not anymore, you already know exactly what they sound like. They're making the segue into being a live act that makes albums just to remind people they're out on the road.

***Well said - and as much as it pains me to read that, I know deep down it's the truth...... I think their fan base is big enough not to care what we think, but I also think that lots of people are feeling like what you just said ....... I'd be curious to know the ratio, even though it's not possible. I really think that the next disc will really put some numbers behind them or in front of them...... again, not that they care, but I'm on that list, so it counts for me ........ :wink:

The wait for Redemption is growing short, now. I'm listening to it as I type this. It should kick up some discussion around here.

***I heard the whole thing compliments of Nick-Meister himself, and everyone should know by now that he doesn't do anything half ass and every move is calculated......this is no exception, and I'm sure this is going to rock everyone's world .......

Get onto that Ostura -- I really think it's in your ballpark.........

Nos

Postby Nos » Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:00 pm

LarryD wrote:

***Well, you're not a prog dude, so it makes sense....... but, you should give Ostura a listen. It's got the prog thing going on, but it also has a lot of the melodies, pop if you will, drama, that you seem to go for ......it's also huge. Epic, dramatic, melodic prog metal -- I've said it a million times before, take Epica, Within Temptation, SX and throw in the blender. it's that good.

It's on my to-do list!

ToddS
Site Admin

Postby ToddS » Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:40 pm

Digital Man wrote:The Orphaned Land is my #1 disk of the year and I am pretty sure it will remain there until the end of the year. It truly is as good as Mabool if not better and that's saying a lot.

I’m with you Guy. This may be their best record. I expect this is going to end up high on my list as well.
"My songs become my freedom, and my freedom turns to gold"

AllMediaReviews

Postby AllMediaReviews » Sat Jul 07, 2018 3:40 pm

the new Orphaned Land is good, but I'm not ready to say it's better than Mabool.

LarryD
Site Admin

Postby LarryD » Sat Jul 07, 2018 4:07 pm

AllMediaReviews wrote:the new Orphaned Land is good, but I'm not ready to say it's better than Mabool.

***Same here -- I just think OrWarrior is the best one and I know I'm in the minority.......

Chris R

Postby Chris R » Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:25 pm

I have only a top 2 so far
Night Flight Orchestra and Ghost. (Yes..I'm infected by 80s pop AOR bubble gum cheese)

Sad to say Arena didnt grab me the way I hoped
Trying to find a digital option for Ostura..

No worries..I tend to catch up this time of year,
Riverside,Redemption and Kingcrow will probably be having a 3 way Texas death match in a steel cage for the top spot
Tarja is a female woman

Chris R

Postby Chris R » Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:47 am

I have a 3rd album
Devin Townsend-Ocean Machine live
What a set list for the first part as well..

Only thing lacking is Devin'' comical in between song banter,he was in his words trying to keep this one classy..he kinda actually did..so people who get offended by his humor wont have that to worry about..

Hearing "The Death of Music" on this ....wow
Tarja is a female woman

Return to “PM: Core”