Neal Morse - Similitude Live in Tilburg 2017 bluray....

The Heart of the Prog/Power Movement

Moderators: TROY or maybe DEBBIE, Stevie WOnder, Digital Man

LarryD
Site Admin

Neal Morse - Similitude Live in Tilburg 2017 bluray....

Postby LarryD » Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:42 pm

Yes it's finally here !!!!!! The bluray of the show ...........Cannot wait to get this one in my hands........

This year just keeps on getting better and better !!!!!!!!

https://www.lasercd.com/dvd/similitude- ... 17-blu-ray

Sparky

Re: Neal Morse - Similitude Live in Tilburg 2017 bluray....

Postby Sparky » Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:33 pm

It's almost identical to the previous blu-ray (Alive Again), but that's not a bad thing. This band absolutely KILLS.

LarryD
Site Admin

Postby LarryD » Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:10 pm

Sparky wrote:It's almost identical to the previous blu-ray (Alive Again), but that's not a bad thing. This band absolutely KILLS.

*** The Alive Again bluray isn't the Similitude show though, right ?

Sir Exar Kun

Postby Sir Exar Kun » Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:16 pm

Nope.

I am a sucker for all things Neal Morse, but this DVD feels a little "flat" (?) to me compared to the others..... I think it's mostly seeing this album in its entirety, versus some of the more creative / improvisational stuff that the band has done previously.

That being said, it's still incredibly awesome, and the heavier parts of the album REALLY stand out well in a live setting. So wish I was able to see this in person.....
Capitalism: God's way of separating the smart from the poor. -Ron Swanson

Sparky

Postby Sparky » Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:11 pm

LarryD wrote:
Sparky wrote:It's almost identical to the previous blu-ray (Alive Again), but that's not a bad thing. This band absolutely KILLS.

Sorry, I meant that Neal ALWAYS films in Tillburg, so they all LOOK sort of the same. Alive Again, which is amazing, is the tour for the first Neal Morse Band disc, so it's that album plus a lot of other stuff. Similitude is that album plus just a few other tunes.

Both ESSENTIAL for a Morse fan. The guy is a genius, and I don't use that word lightly.
I'll be the judge of what's good and what isn't, thank you... ;)

introclaus

Postby introclaus » Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:32 am

I didn’t get the dvd or Blu-ray as I hardly ever have time to sit down uninterrupted and watch a full show - but the CD is really great. Neal Morse is an incredible songwriter who seem to get better and better with the years.
Claus Jensen

Sparky

Postby Sparky » Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:31 am

introclaus wrote:Neal Morse is an incredible songwriter who seem to get better and better with the years.

I don't think there's anyone more prolific - like it's not even close. The MOUNTAIN of great material he's written over the years is hard to wrap your brain around...

LarryD
Site Admin

Postby LarryD » Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:38 am

I didn’t get the dvd or Blu-ray as I hardly ever have time to sit down uninterrupted and watch a full show ....
"

***That comment makes me want to resurrect my " why I love concert dvds so much " post ...... but, that said, I never want to be in a position where I don't have time to watch a show. That would bother me too much ...........

introclaus

Postby introclaus » Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:41 am

Sparky wrote:
introclaus wrote:Neal Morse is an incredible songwriter who seem to get better and better with the years.

I don't think there's anyone more prolific - like it's not even close. The MOUNTAIN of great material he's written over the years is hard to wrap your brain around...

I have a hard time chosing favorites from his enormous catalog but it would probably look something like this:

1. Snow
2. Sola Scripture
3. Similitude
4. The light
5. SMPTe

That said, he is so consistent in terms of quality it’s ridiculous which is why I said he gets better and better (whereas most other musicians starts leaving big holes of quality loss in their discography over the years).
Claus Jensen

LarryD
Site Admin

Postby LarryD » Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:45 am

introclaus wrote:
Sparky wrote:

I have a hard time chosing favorites from his enormous catalog but it would probably look something like this:

1. Snow
2. Sola Scripture
3. Similitude
4. The light
5. SMPTe

That said, he is so consistent in terms of quality it’s ridiculous which is why I said he gets better and better (whereas most other musicians starts leaving big holes of quality loss in their discography over the years).

*** I've never been able to get into Spock's Beard before ....... I've only recently embraced Neal with the release of "Similitude" ....... I've tried Snow, SMPTe, but not The Light or Sola ....... knowing my taste, which of those discs would you recommend I go back to, or check out since I love Similitude so much ? What say ye ?

introclaus

Postby introclaus » Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:50 am

Larry:

Sola would be the one you should try your hands/ears on ... it’s the heaviest and most progressive of the bunch.

The Light is basically a heavier Genesis, not much hard rock to it if that’s what you’re looking for.

SMPTe is the first Transatlantic disc and it was really unique for its time (a prog super group) but might be a bit on the lighter side again. Give it a shot though.

Snow is just an incredible piece of music. It’s big, it’s conceptual, it’s a prog rock/hard rock masterpiece. You like Arena and you should like this as well :)
Claus Jensen

LarryD
Site Admin

Postby LarryD » Sat Jun 30, 2018 12:00 pm

introclaus wrote:Larry:

Sola would be the one you should try your hands/ears on ... it’s the heaviest and most progressive of the bunch.

The Light is basically a heavier Genesis, not much hard rock to it if that’s what you’re looking for.

SMPTe is the first Transatlantic disc and it was really unique for its time (a prog super group) but might be a bit on the lighter side again. Give it a shot though.

Snow is just an incredible piece of music. It’s big, it’s conceptual, it’s a prog rock/hard rock masterpiece. You like Arena and you should like this as well :)

***Thanks Claus -- I think I might still have a promo of SNOW lying around somewhere, and I'll check out Sola as well .......... thanks !!!!!

Mark

Postby Mark » Fri Jul 06, 2018 2:47 pm

I think one of the unsung qualities of Snow is that it's a long prog album that is not made up of very long songs. It thus places less demands on the listener's patience and attention span than do some prog albums with a shorter playing time. The new Similitude Blu-ray does not interest me, but I absolutely love the Snow live set. I think part of it is the sense of fulfillment that seeing it live brings from an album that has proven its long-term listening value after sixteen years.

I am not a fan of bands playing a studio album live. I like the 'variety show' much better. Ergo, the Fates live album. So I prefer Neal's previous one Alive Again. But I make an exception for albums that are way up on my all-time list, like Snow and PoS's Remedy Lane.

On Neal's seemingly endless drive and output, I long recognized his prolific work with the Beard and with his solo band, plus the albums he's done himself (Songs from November and this year's Life and Times). But I only recently realized that on top of everything else, he releases at least one album of pure praise music every year too. He must be living in some parallel universe that has more hours in a day than the rest of us!

Sola Scriptura is his heaviest album, which also makes it my least favorite, but it's still awesome.

Sparky

Postby Sparky » Fri Jul 06, 2018 3:17 pm

Mark wrote:I think one of the unsung qualities of Snow is that it's a long prog album that is not made up of very long songs. It thus places less demands on the listener's patience and attention span than do some prog albums with a shorter playing time. The new Similitude Blu-ray does not interest me, but I absolutely love the Snow live set.

Yeah, the Snow blu-ray from Morsefest is MONEY. It's anyone that's been in the band, so, most importantly, Nick D is back on drums and vocals. The performance is stellar. As far as Spock's Beard goes it's pretty much mandatory.

As to the two most recent blu-rays from the Neal Morse Band, I prefer Alive Again (for the variety), but Similitude is nothing to sneeze at.

Lastly, to supplement the previous post, Neal also has a prog solo disc from back in the Spock's days. I *think* it's s/t, but I'd have to check at home...good stuff on there.

sez

Postby sez » Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:22 pm

Neal is amazing. I echo all the recommendations here, but also want to put my vote in for the ? (Question Mark) album. Of Neal's stuff, Sola Scriptura and ? are my favorites, hands down. Since the superlatives for Sola have already been mentioned, I'll just talk about ? for a bit. It's a prog masterpiece. 12 tracks, but the whole album is one long 54 minute song, built off 7 chords that start out the thing in a minor key and end it in a major key, with one of those huge, inspiring endings Neal is so good at. With guest appearances from Steve Hackett, Alan Morse, Roine Stolt, and Jordan Rudess, you really can't go wrong with this one. Mind blowing.

Sparky

Postby Sparky » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:43 am

My favorite post-Beard, pre-Neal Morse Band disc is One, although Sola and ? are exceptional, too.

Return to “PM: Core”