Alien Weaponry

The Heart of the Prog/Power Movement

Moderators: TROY or maybe DEBBIE, Stevie WOnder, Digital Man

Harvester

Alien Weaponry

Postby Harvester » Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:54 am

It's catchy as hell thrash ala Sepultura. However, before you ask wtf am I writing about it on a prog forum, have a listen. The melodies are infectious and the unique part is the vocals are in the Maorian language of the New Zealand tribes. The band is starting to blow up on the scene.

You really do want to do a haka and beat the shit out of someone by the end of the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kwIkF6LFDc

LarryD
Site Admin

Re: Alien Weaponry

Postby LarryD » Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:20 pm

This isn't just a prog forum -- you know I love Loreena McKennitt. Keep em coming ............. :wink:

ToddS
Site Admin

Postby ToddS » Wed Jun 27, 2018 4:53 pm

That’s pretty cool and makes me go to battle or something. Heard them them on XM radio as well.
"My songs become my freedom, and my freedom turns to gold"

Stevie WOnder

Postby Stevie WOnder » Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:54 am

This rocks! I'm loving it! Nice find Glenn!!
"Manowar rules!!!" - Larry D

Stevie WOnder

Postby Stevie WOnder » Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:25 am

I've spent more time with this and it's been getting better and better. This is heavy, melodic at times, no death vox and definitely thrash. The use of Maori language and chanting fits the music perfectly, it's different and fresh. It's like they took Sepultura's recipe and improved it.

Try this:

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=3&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwi9zvbYqZLcAhXPrVkKHdwKANoQwqsBCEIwAg&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D5kwIkF6LFDc&usg=AOvVaw1JUvqmNKXj9oBFIua9d6Xp

I seriously think this is heading for #1 of 2018 for me. Great disc!!!

Mardoch

Postby Mardoch » Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:52 pm

I wish I liked thrash so I could be into these folks. I just...really don't like thrash at all. I gave them a shot when NPR did a feature on them months ago, and I love the concept but ehhhh. My loss, I guess.

Stevie WOnder

Postby Stevie WOnder » Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:44 am

Mardoch wrote:I wish I liked thrash so I could be into these folks. I just...really don't like thrash at all. I gave them a shot when NPR did a feature on them months ago, and I love the concept but ehhhh. My loss, I guess.

You don't like thrash? Do you like death metal? Black metal? Old stuff like Sepultura? Even Metallica?

I'm curious...

Mardoch

Postby Mardoch » Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:32 pm

Stevie WOnder wrote:
Mardoch wrote:I wish I liked thrash so I could be into these folks. I just...really don't like thrash at all. I gave them a shot when NPR did a feature on them months ago, and I love the concept but ehhhh. My loss, I guess.

You don't like thrash? Do you like death metal? Black metal? Old stuff like Sepultura? Even Metallica?

I'm curious...

The only thrash I actually like is Megadeth. Some Sepultura, but not a ton (I really like Roots, though, which I know a lot of people don't). Death metal...sometimes...tech death more than regular, but melodeath is a big hell yes (probably my second favorite genre behind prog). Metallica is mostly a big nope. I like Kill 'em All and not really much past that. I also think Slayer is boring as hell and there's almost nothing about Anthrax I care about (except Safe Home, that's a great song). Black metal I'm pretty selective about. I love Ihsahn, there's some fantastic Dimmu material, and some recent Behemoth has been incredible. But the type of harsh vocals they tend to employ is one of my least favorites, and spamming blast beats and double bass isn't really my style. In fact, I have a vendetta against blast beats in all metal...I think they're lazy writing and they universally sound like trash. It's one of my many petty hills that I'll die on.

I'm younger than many of you so my full intro to metal really didn't start until 92 or so (which happens to be probably the best ever year for Dream Theater :D)...and I worked backwards into what I liked from there, which mostly happened way after that time.

prog_powermetal99

Postby prog_powermetal99 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:14 am

Mardoch wrote:
Stevie WOnder wrote:

I'm curious...

The only thrash I actually like is Megadeth. Some Sepultura, but not a ton (I really like Roots, though, which I know a lot of people don't). Death metal...sometimes...tech death more than regular, but melodeath is a big hell yes (probably my second favorite genre behind prog). Metallica is mostly a big nope. I like Kill 'em All and not really much past that. I also think Slayer is boring as hell and there's almost nothing about Anthrax I care about (except Safe Home, that's a great song). Black metal I'm pretty selective about. I love Ihsahn, there's some fantastic Dimmu material, and some recent Behemoth has been incredible. But the type of harsh vocals they tend to employ is one of my least favorites, and spamming blast beats and double bass isn't really my style. In fact, I have a vendetta against blast beats in all metal...I think they're lazy writing and they universally sound like trash. It's one of my many petty hills that I'll die on.

I'm younger than many of you so my full intro to metal really didn't start until 92 or so (which happens to be probably the best ever year for Dream Theater :D)...and I worked backwards into what I liked from there, which mostly happened way after that time.

Wow! I'm surprised you don't like Metallica's Ride the Lightning.......That is still a classic to me that I can spin to this day and enjoy! I didn't care much for "Kill em All" as that album is too 1 dimensional to me, whereas Ride the Lightning really mixed it up and maintained the brutal chunk riffs and much more varied song-writing....and yes, I prefer that over Master of Puppets, which mean deem as their masterpiece.

Mardoch

Postby Mardoch » Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:25 pm

prog_powermetal99 wrote:
Mardoch wrote:
Stevie WOnder wrote:

I'm curious...

Wow! I'm surprised you don't like Metallica's Ride the Lightning.......That is still a classic to me that I can spin to this day and enjoy! I didn't care much for "Kill em All" as that album is too 1 dimensional to me, whereas Ride the Lightning really mixed it up and maintained the brutal chunk riffs and much more varied song-writing....and yes, I prefer that over Master of Puppets, which mean deem as their masterpiece.

Ride the Lightning and Master of Puppets both have some charm for me, but there's something about the young, raw, hungry enthusiasm of Kill 'em All that makes me still like it.

xaurt

Postby xaurt » Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:49 pm

Harvester wrote:It's catchy as hell thrash ala Sepultura. However, before you ask wtf am I writing about it on a prog forum, have a listen. The melodies are infectious and the unique part is the vocals are in the Maorian language of the New Zealand tribes. The band is starting to blow up on the scene.

You really do want to do a haka and beat the shit out of someone by the end of the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kwIkF6LFDc

Great find! I'm loving this.

Truax

Return to “PM: Core”