The neo-prog journey countinues... Shadowland...

The Heart of the Prog/Power Movement

Moderators: TROY or maybe DEBBIE, Stevie WOnder, Digital Man

GaetanL

The neo-prog journey countinues... Shadowland...

Postby GaetanL » Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:27 pm

This is interesting... First album in 1992... Clive Nolan on vocals before forming Arena... Karl Groom on guitar before forming Threshold...
To be honest, I was a bit skeptical about Clive voice in this band... I think this is because what I heard before was mainly backing vocals with Arena for example and his voice was restrained (I hope I use the right word, je veux dire "retenue")...
In Shadowland he can sing to the full and I really like his voice! And I like the music too! Better late than never!
Gaétan
Musique Progressive Dynamique
Site consacré au métal progressif, au néo-prog et au hard rock
http://www.musiqueprog.net

LarryD
Site Admin

Re: The neo-prog journey countinues... Shadowland...

Postby LarryD » Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:24 pm

Gaetan --

I forgot to mention this band .......and I still have a box of goodies for you that I haven't gotten to yet since my injury .............. Not sure if you heard it yet, but Through the Looking Glass is by far the best of the Shadowland discs .......and yes, while not excellent, Clive can sing. His voice fits this band very nicely.........

Glad to see you are still aboard the Neo-Prog train ............

GaetanL

Postby GaetanL » Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:36 pm

I bought the their 3 CDs used and the concert DVD...
As I'm writing this and reading your post, "Through the Looking Glass" is currently playing... I have a feeling that this might be my favorite Shadowland album as well... Just be before I was playing their first album "Ring Of Roses" and I like it too!
Gaétan

GaetanL

Postby GaetanL » Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:47 pm

LarryD wrote:and I still have a box of goodies for you that I haven't gotten to yet since my injury

Sorry to hear about your injury. No problem for the delay for the box of goodies. Get well my friend.
Gaétan

GaetanL

Postby GaetanL » Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:32 pm

Now the 3rd album (Mad As A Hatter) is playing and this is really good too!
Gaétan

gazinwales

Postby gazinwales » Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:34 am

I have all three Shadowland albums and I do prefer the last one, Mad As A Hatter.
You should also check out another Clive Nolan band, Strangers On A Train, with female vocals, both albums are excellent.

LarryD
Site Admin

Postby LarryD » Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:40 am

This post, and especially the Strangers in a Train post, brings back so many memories of Neo-Prog gone by. The great Erik Welty first got me into Neo-Prog, I'd say around 1995 or so, and then Ken picked up the ball and ran with it for me ........ and still does, even though those years will never be repeated. Neo-Prog these days, seem to be hit or miss, and mostly miss, with bands disappearing all the time without word or warning.

Clive Nolan was a major player in the Neo-Prog world -- and still is to a degree. Anything he did, I scooped up. I think the Shadowland material was the best he did, but I also think that having Karl Groom (Threshold) on board as guitarist really helped shaped the Shadowland sound and vibe.

We can debate which Shadowland disc is best -- but all three are awesome and I'll never forget the first time I heard Ring of Roses.

Sir Exar Kun

Postby Sir Exar Kun » Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:36 am

I only discovered this band once they put out the box set a few years ago re-issuing all the CDs and live album. I bought it blind based on the names involved. Not sure how I missed out on these guys back in the day, but this is definitely a good find for anyone digging into the genre.

I've never heard Strangers on a Train, so off to sample that one now....
Capitalism: God's way of separating the smart from the poor. -Ron Swanson

LarryD
Site Admin

Postby LarryD » Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:31 am

Sir Exar Kun wrote:I only discovered this band once they put out the box set a few years ago re-issuing all the CDs and live album. I bought it blind based on the names involved. Not sure how I missed out on these guys back in the day, but this is definitely a good find for anyone digging into the genre.

I've never heard Strangers on a Train, so off to sample that one now....

***Strangers on a Train is a weird but cool project from Clive Nolan back in the day ........ they released 2 disc, The Key Part 1 and The Key Part 2. In a nutshell, it's basically Clive Nolan on keyboards, and his then girlfriend Tracy Hitchings (who now fronts Landmarq) on vocals. Strangers was like a showcase for Tracy's "little girl" style voice, and I liken the discs more to New Age / Neo-Prog than I do straight up Neo-Prog. It's basically just keys and vox.

Most Neo-Prog fans should know of Landmarq, they released 3 discs with Damian Wilson on vocals, which were essential back in the day.......he quit to go solo, and they replaced him with a guy who sang with them for a year, and then Tracy has been with them ever since. One of their live DVDs, "Turbulence" Live in Poland (2006) is awesome...... Tracy has a "Disney" voice, so be prepared for that. But, she can sing and she fits perfectly in some of those Neo projects........

This band has had so many line up changes over the years it's not funny ...... for some reason, that happened a lot with those Neo bands. The pattern I'm seeing is that one guy is the focal point of these bands, and if you don't like what he is doing, out you go........

Anyway - Clive Nolan put out so many Neo-Prog discs in the day - it's hard to even keep track. You can Wiki Clive and see them all .......lots of them are out of print, and some are essential to this day (Shadowland, Jabberwocky, The Hound of the Baskervilles). He is a one man riot squad.........

GaetanL

Postby GaetanL » Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:30 pm

LarryD wrote:I forgot to mention this band

You didn't forget to mention this band... You forgot you mentioned this band... :wink:
I still refer to the email you sent me long time ago about your favorites neo-prog albums... Shadowland - "Through the Looking Glass" is in the list...
Gaétan

LarryD
Site Admin

Postby LarryD » Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:12 pm

GaetanL wrote:
LarryD wrote:I forgot to mention this band

You didn't forget to mention this band... You forgot you mentioned this band... :wink:
I still refer to the email you sent me long time ago about your favorites neo-prog albums... Shadowland - "Through the Looking Glass" is in the list...

***My aging memory bro ....... :cry:

Return to “PM: Core”