SUBSIGNAL / La Muerta ..... first thoughts.

The Heart of the Prog/Power Movement

Moderators: TROY or maybe DEBBIE, Stevie WOnder, Digital Man

LarryD
Site Admin

SUBSIGNAL / La Muerta ..... first thoughts.

Postby LarryD » Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:12 am

I swear once this hit the street - Ken got i his car and drove it over here in his car in the middle of the night and dropped it on my door step ..... wow !!!!!!

This was one of my most anticipated discs of the year - and after reading all of the "light" reviews on it -- I was scared, and they are right. This is a much lighter version of Subsignal, possibly their lightest to date and I don't know that will sit well with current fans..... could be a split atom here, and I'm torn as well. However, the beauty of the melodies, the beauty of Arno's voice, and the beauty of the insane production, makes this an instant winner for me. Do I want it a bit heavier ? Sure I do ...... but it's not heavy, it's sort of like one of Rush's lighter songs maybe off of Power Windows, and make it lighter........not Closer to the Heart style, but light. Arno still sounds like he just came out of the starting gate, and the music just screams clarity out of the speakers....... those of you with subwoofers will delight at the nice bass on this disc, and possibly the use of bass pedals...... the drums are thick and monstrous as well. Nothing shabby about this sound at all - posibly the best or one of the best productions I've heard this year.

As the disc plays on --- I cannot help think YES injected with light Rush, with a dash of Neo-Prog thrown into the mix......... to me, this is just another quality release from another quality band - albeit on the lighter side. Those of you who were yelling "Subsignal for Prog Power " ( hey that was all of me and Todd I think ) can kiss that premise goodbye with this release......I think they lightened themselves right out of any notion of being there at some point in the future...... but hey, I digress......

If you love Subsignal like I do -- as in anything goes - you will love this disc ......... if you were on the fence and were hoping for something heavier, sorry this will disappoint you ...... and if you are looking for some prog rock that reminds of the old days yet sounds incredibly fresh, check them out ...... If you like that descriptor of YES meets Rush with Neo-Prog, rejoice !!!!

Mark

Re: SUBSIGNAL / La Muerta ..... first thoughts.

Postby Mark » Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:05 am

It being "light" is actually an encouragement for me. There's plenty of dark and heavy bands around that I can listen to when I want. Bands with such a sharp melodic sense like Subsignal (or Seventh Wonder, etc) and such strong vocal talent deserve as much appreciation as they can get.

LarryD
Site Admin

Postby LarryD » Fri Jun 01, 2018 4:09 pm

Mark wrote:It being "light" is actually an encouragement for me. There's plenty of dark and heavy bands around that I can listen to when I want. Bands with such a sharp melodic sense like Subsignal (or Seventh Wonder, etc) and such strong vocal talent deserve as much appreciation as they can get.

***Ditto. This is probably the lightest of all Subsignal discs........but that's ok by me too .........

outprogged42

Postby outprogged42 » Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:06 pm

I wasn't expecting this to be such a light album after the quite heavy and aggressive direction of the last one, but I grew into it the more songs were released and it became clear what this disc would sound like. There are tons of vivacious and colorful keys that give this a quite proggy flair despite the simpler structures and I agree that the production is magnificent, and that I can look elsewhere if I want heavy because I like Subsignal's melodic sense better anyway. "The Bells of Lyonesse" is a particularly astounding piece.

There were, since you mentioned Yes, a couple of songs that could have been taken straight off 90125 and no one would have noticed. It's pretty incredibly impressive.

ToddS
Site Admin

Postby ToddS » Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:44 am

This is quite light, but there is just something about Subsignal that is soothing to the soul.

This reminds me of AoR prog, or Prog bands going lighter, and more commercial. Bands like Kansas, or Toto (strong Toto vibe on a song or 2), Yes and Rush are good examples as well. Will see how it goes over time, but they haven’t made a record I didn’t like.

And Larry, I’m still leading the Subsignal for PP bandwagon, but yes I get your point here.
"My songs become my freedom, and my freedom turns to gold"

Mark

Postby Mark » Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:45 pm

Got around to listening to the whole thing and LOVE LOVE LOVE it. Great release for spring & summer listening.

Hearing Aid Man

Postby Hearing Aid Man » Mon Jun 04, 2018 4:38 pm

Sorry to be the Debbie downer, but I can't be the only one who wishes this band would do more of the heavier edge proggy stuff like the track Tempest from the last CD. I like all their stuff, but I really freak on their stuff with more chunk. Unfortunately, this one seemed quite light after the intro which is probably my favorite track. :lol:

LarryD
Site Admin

Postby LarryD » Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:05 pm

Hearing Aid Man wrote:Sorry to be the Debbie downer, but I can't be the only one who wishes this band would do more of the heavier edge proggy stuff like the track Tempest from the last CD. I like all their stuff, but I really freak on their stuff with more chunk. Unfortunately, this one seemed quite light after the intro which is probably my favorite track. :lol:

***I agree with this totally, as well as the first song being my favorite....... but I also agree with the others, saying that if this is what they want to do, it does sound excellent despite the lightness....... they seem to have gotten lighter and lighter with each release, and I'm not sure they will keep their fanbase if they keep heading in this direction. This is one of those rare bands who have released all gems since day one - a rare feat these days for any band in any genre...... I have to give them the benefit of the doubt for the future.......

introclaus

Postby introclaus » Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:34 pm

LarryD wrote:
Hearing Aid Man wrote:Sorry to be the Debbie downer, but I can't be the only one who wishes this band would do more of the heavier edge proggy stuff like the track Tempest from the last CD. I like all their stuff, but I really freak on their stuff with more chunk. Unfortunately, this one seemed quite light after the intro which is probably my favorite track. :lol:

***I agree with this totally, as well as the first song being my favorite....... but I also agree with the others, saying that if this is what they want to do, it does sound excellent despite the lightness....... they seem to have gotten lighter and lighter with each release, and I'm not sure they will keep their fanbase if they keep heading in this direction. This is one of those rare bands who have released all gems since day one - a rare feat these days for any band in any genre...... I have to give them the benefit of the doubt for the future.......

Luckily their fan base is quite small lol - if they loose that it’s not a big loss for them :)

Okay, smart ass comments aside, I really like SubSignal. Not as much as Sieges Even but it’s a very good replacement, so I’m happy. Yes, they’ve gotten lighter over the years and the new one does seem to be their most AOR’ish. That said, music is good and entire band sounds great. Winner - winner ....
Claus Jensen

Return to “PM: Core”