Dokken: After "Live 1981" recorded in 1983 we now get "Return To The East Live" recorded more than the half in the USA!

The Heart of the Prog/Power Movement

Moderators: TROY or maybe DEBBIE, Stevie WOnder, Digital Man

GaetanL

Dokken: After "Live 1981" recorded in 1983 we now get "Return To The East Live" recorded more than the half in the USA!

Postby GaetanL » Fri May 25, 2018 9:55 pm

Dokken
From Conception: Live 1981 (2007): Recorded in 1983!
Return To The East Live 2016 (2018) with a Japanese look cover art: Recorded more than the half in the USA, less than the half in Japan!

The marketing team have crossed the line... I hate this! :evil:
Gaétan
Musique Progressive Dynamique
Site consacré au métal progressif, au néo-prog et au hard rock
http://www.musiqueprog.net

introclaus

Re: Dokken: After "Live 1981" recorded in 1983 we now get "Return To The East Live" recorded more than the half in the U

Postby introclaus » Sat May 26, 2018 6:38 am

Not to mention that the original “Beast from the East” live album 25 years or so ago hardly was live ... (that said, it’s still the best compilation of amazing Dokken songs).
Claus Jensen

LarryD
Site Admin

Re: Dokken: After "Live 1981" recorded in 1983 we now get "Return To The East Live" recorded more than the half in the U

Postby LarryD » Sat May 26, 2018 2:05 pm

I'm in a really bad mood today -- so I ask the question, does anyone actually care about Dokken anymore ? Not trying to be funny, I really mean that ........ so if Dokken came to a certain area, would anyone here go to the show ? :?:

I was a big Dokken fan in the 80s, mostly due to George Lynch - and I love the first few albums........ Now, I wouldn't even consider seeing them or hearing something new from them ......

introclaus

Postby introclaus » Sat May 26, 2018 2:22 pm

LarryD wrote:I'm in a really bad mood today -- so I ask the question, does anyone actually care about Dokken anymore ? Not trying to be funny, I really mean that ........ so if Dokken came to a certain area, would anyone here go to the show ? :?:

I was a big Dokken fan in the 80s, mostly due to George Lynch - and I love the first few albums........ Now, I wouldn't even consider seeing them or hearing something new from them ......

I would ... as in “I would have been there in a heartbeat if I hadn’t actually met Don in person”...

See, I never thought Lynch was all that - sure, he was good, but for me it was about the strong song material of the band and Don’s voice (which might be completely shot by now).

11-12 years ago Dokken played at my club in Copenhagen and I had to deal with Don, his ego and his general lousy attitude all day and night - ugh! So, due to that I would not go see them today. If he had been nice (or if I hadn’t experienced his ego firsthand) I definitely would go see them if they came anywhere close to here.
Claus Jensen

LarryD
Site Admin

Postby LarryD » Sat May 26, 2018 2:41 pm

I would ... as in “I would have been there in a heartbeat if I hadn’t actually met Don in person”...
See, I never thought Lynch was all that - sure, he was good, but for me it was about the strong song material of the band and Don’s voice (which might be completely shot by now).
11-12 years ago Dokken played at my club in Copenhagen and I had to deal with Don, his ego and his general lousy attitude all day and night - ugh! So, due to that I would not go see them today. If he had been nice (or if I hadn’t experienced his ego firsthand) I definitely would go see them if they came anywhere close to here...

***I hear you -- I've read through the years about Don's personality, and for a band that came out of the hair bands of California, I'm not sure if anyone would have cared if they didn't have Lynch ....... but we can debate Lynch in another topic ........ I truly believe that he and Warren DeMartini were two of the most underrated players ever.......

gazinwales

Postby gazinwales » Sat May 26, 2018 7:07 pm

I was in my local metal record store a couple of weeks back and this 'live' album was playing.
Don's voice totally ruined it for me, even though he apparently re-did nearly all the vocals in the studio.
Really he dosen't and never had the pipes to act like a total dick and have a massive ego.

LarryD
Site Admin

Postby LarryD » Sun May 27, 2018 10:59 am

gazinwales wrote:I was in my local metal record store a couple of weeks back and this 'live' album was playing.
Don's voice totally ruined it for me, even though he apparently re-did nearly all the vocals in the studio.
Really he dosen't and never had the pipes to act like a total dick and have a massive ego.

*** I agree wirh that 100%........ The fact that they were selling albums in the 80s gave him the notion that he was better than he really was...... On album, he sounds really good......live, he sucks......especially now.. He is unlistenable.

Chris R

Postby Chris R » Mon May 28, 2018 9:18 pm

About the only thing Dokken can do right these days

https://youtu.be/1Vbp7FDEP3s
Tarja is a female woman

sez

Postby sez » Wed May 30, 2018 3:39 pm

For me, Dokken was Lynch all the way. Never listened to anything past Back for the Attack (their best, IMO). Don's voice blended in with all those California hair metal bands, so he was passable in the 80s, but unremarkable for today. Lynch, however, has an immediately recognizable style and sound. His pairing with Michael Sweet interestingly, actually works--and Sweet hasn't wrecked his voice over the years.

LarryD
Site Admin

Postby LarryD » Wed May 30, 2018 5:04 pm

sez wrote:For me, Dokken was Lynch all the way. Never listened to anything past Back for the Attack (their best, IMO). Don's voice blended in with all those California hair metal bands, so he was passable in the 80s, but unremarkable for today. Lynch, however, has an immediately recognizable style and sound. His pairing with Michael Sweet interestingly, actually works--and Sweet hasn't wrecked his voice over the years.

***My feelings exactly ...........he was nothing special, although he may have started a trend with naming bands after their last name ............ :wink: Why a band would agree to that just amazes me .......

sez

Postby sez » Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:55 am

LarryD wrote:
sez wrote:For me, Dokken was Lynch all the way. Never listened to anything past Back for the Attack (their best, IMO). Don's voice blended in with all those California hair metal bands, so he was passable in the 80s, but unremarkable for today. Lynch, however, has an immediately recognizable style and sound. His pairing with Michael Sweet interestingly, actually works--and Sweet hasn't wrecked his voice over the years.

***My feelings exactly ...........he was nothing special, although he may have started a trend with naming bands after their last name ............ :wink: Why a band would agree to that just amazes me .......

I don't know about you, but this track always struck me as a tweak at Don Dokken, and makes me smile every time I hear it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJ9yiX5YlNs

Sir Exar Kun

Postby Sir Exar Kun » Fri Jun 01, 2018 12:09 pm

I don't know about you, but this track always struck me as a tweak at Don Dokken, and makes me smile every time I hear it:

Nah..... This was years and years after that. Plus, pretty sure Michael Sweet wrote the lyrics.
Capitalism: God's way of separating the smart from the poor. -Ron Swanson

sez

Postby sez » Fri Jun 01, 2018 12:24 pm

Sir Exar Kun wrote:

Nah..... This was years and years after that. Plus, pretty sure Michael Sweet wrote the lyrics.

I didn't mean it was talking about Dokken without Lynch, just that the style and lyrics of the song are like Dokken classics, except the lyrics are kind of silly and ridiculous. Then it's sung in such a serious manner it just sounds like they're making fun of that whole old Dokken style.

Sir Exar Kun

Postby Sir Exar Kun » Fri Jun 01, 2018 4:05 pm

I didn't mean it was talking about Dokken without Lynch, just that the style and lyrics of the song are like Dokken classics, except the lyrics are kind of silly and ridiculous. Then it's sung in such a serious manner it just sounds like they're making fun of that whole old Dokken style.

Ahhhhh! Yeah, that I could maybe see, except I don't think this is atypical of Michael Sweet at all..... He's still pretty 80's through and through.
Capitalism: God's way of separating the smart from the poor. -Ron Swanson

Return to “PM: Core”