New Riverside in September....

The Heart of the Prog/Power Movement

Moderators: TROY or maybe DEBBIE, Stevie WOnder, Digital Man

T'ski

Re: New Riverside in September....

Postby T'ski » Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:47 pm

Finally got around to giving this a listen, not sure what to think.

I was encouraged by the three tracks released prior to the album coming out, but I think the overall vibe is just to dark for me.

Musically it still sounds like Riverside even without Piotr, but the vocals are a head scratcher for sure. "Guardian Angel" is beautiful, but I do not care for the low register take on the vocals and I kind of feel the same vibe on the title track.

The instrumental was a mess at the beginning but came together okay as it went along.

The closing track is very emotional but again, the theme is not something I want to have repeated listens to.

Right now I'd have to rank this as disappointing, but we'll see what repeated listenings will do.

elendil

Postby elendil » Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:09 am

Think some of you might be underrating this album a touch. I don't think the loss of the second guitarist is really obvious. The more noticeable change for me is the diminished role for the keyboards. There's a more stripped-down, acoustic feel to large sections of this album, although _LFTM_ previewed this shift in their sound to some extent. In pure compositional terms it is a well written album, just less tonally rich than some prior efforts. Not one of my favorites from the band but not the worst either.

Chris R

Postby Chris R » Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:42 pm

elendil wrote:Think some of you might be underrating this album a touch. I don't think the loss of the second guitarist is really obvious. The more noticeable change for me is the diminished role for the keyboards. There's a more stripped-down, acoustic feel to large sections of this album, although _LFTM_ previewed this shift in their sound to some extent. In pure compositional terms it is a well written album, just less tonally rich than some prior efforts. Not one of my favorites from the band but not the worst either.

And you hit on the exact reason why this album is such a dissapointemnt,easily their worst I'm afraid
Tarja is a female woman

elendil

Postby elendil » Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:16 pm

Fair enough! At least we're working from the same facts. :)

Mardoch

Postby Mardoch » Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:30 pm

elendil wrote:Think some of you might be underrating this album a touch. I don't think the loss of the second guitarist is really obvious. The more noticeable change for me is the diminished role for the keyboards. There's a more stripped-down, acoustic feel to large sections of this album, although _LFTM_ previewed this shift in their sound to some extent. In pure compositional terms it is a well written album, just less tonally rich than some prior efforts. Not one of my favorites from the band but not the worst either.

Yeah, this is it in a nutshell. It is, by no means, a bad album. But they used to be something super lush and powerful. Now it's quite a lot more chill, and it's just not what I'm after.

I'd still happily go see them live if presented with the opportunity, though.

Return to “PM: Core”