KARNATAKA / Secrets of Angels - Live DVD concert.

The Heart of the Prog/Power Movement

Moderators: TROY or maybe DEBBIE, Stevie WOnder, Digital Man

LarryD
Site Admin

KARNATAKA / Secrets of Angels - Live DVD concert.

Postby LarryD » Fri May 18, 2018 11:14 am

Those of you who are fans of this band - or at least this line up of the band, will want this DVD concert in their collection for sure. Looking back at this band, they have to have the most line up changes of any band ever ..........it's impossible to keep up with what has happened to this band since their debut in 1997. That is, without using a chart or notebook to document each change through the years. This DVD marks another change - and I will post that at the end of this writing. For now, this show is all about the great release "Secrets of Angels", which was a hit around these parts when it was released in 2015..... In 2016 they recorded this show in London, and here it is finally on DVD in 2018.

Speaking to this show - it is pretty awesome. 15 songs, most of them coming from Secrets of Angels, and here they are their most melodic / symphonic side since I first heard them back in 1997. Back then, they were called progressive / melodic folk rock ...... now, on this show, they can be called Symphonic Rock. They are not metal as some have called them. The music is melodic / atmospheric / symphonic and at times remind me of a lighter version of Within Temptation. Singer Hayley Griffiths, who is stunning and looks many years younger than the other members of the band, sounds incredible and to my ears, she could easily be fronting a band like Delain or Xandria or some band like that. You cannot help being melted by her beautiful vocals, and the music they have chose for this show.

Audio video wise - I've got the standard DVD, but I believe there is a bluray version floating around out there somewhere. For this show, and the limited visuals they have provided, the standard DVD is of excellent quality, and the camera work stays focused on the front of the band, although they have one of those drum cameras pointing up from underneath the drum kit, and it can be annoying when seen. Audio wise, I'm playing it in stereo right now and it sounds fantastic.

Now for the bad news ................

The band continued to tour the Secrets of Angels album through 2016 and 2017, both in the UK and Europe. A DVD was recorded in London in 2016 and was released in December 2017. 2017 also saw a tour entitled 'Back to Back', which saw the band perform the albums The Gathering Light and Secrets of Angels in their entirety. Keyboard player Cagri Tozluoglu decided to step down from the band towards the end of 2017, with guitarist Enrico Pinna also indicating he was likely to leave the band to pursue other commitments. Following a concert at the Robin on 3rd December, band leader Ian Jones announced on Facebook that the current line up of the band had come to an end and it would likely continue with a new line up. This was met with shock by singer Hayley Griffiths and drummer Jimmy Pallagrosi, both of whom said they were not consulted or informed about this decision prior to the Facebook announcement.
In February 2018, Ian Jones announced on the band's website[6] that Gonzalo Carrera had rejoined the band, and that they were working together on new material.

Apparently they didn't tell Hayley and their drummer that they were out of the band - and they mention this on their individual facebook pages......given what this band has gone through over the years, I don't doubt this at all......what a shame though - this band put out a monster with Secrets of Angels, and hopefully they can do it again with some other singer......although Hayley fits this music perfectly.

if you are fan of this incarnation of the band - and / or love Secrets of Angels, you will want this show for your collection.

Nos

Re: KARNATAKA / Secrets of Angels - Live DVD concert.

Postby Nos » Fri May 18, 2018 1:13 pm

LarryD wrote:Now for the bad news ................

The band continued to tour the Secrets of Angels album through 2016 and 2017, both in the UK and Europe. A DVD was recorded in London in 2016 and was released in December 2017. 2017 also saw a tour entitled 'Back to Back', which saw the band perform the albums The Gathering Light and Secrets of Angels in their entirety. Keyboard player Cagri Tozluoglu decided to step down from the band towards the end of 2017, with guitarist Enrico Pinna also indicating he was likely to leave the band to pursue other commitments. Following a concert at the Robin on 3rd December, band leader Ian Jones announced on Facebook that the current line up of the band had come to an end and it would likely continue with a new line up. This was met with shock by singer Hayley Griffiths and drummer Jimmy Pallagrosi, both of whom said they were not consulted or informed about this decision prior to the Facebook announcement.
In February 2018, Ian Jones announced on the band's website[6] that Gonzalo Carrera had rejoined the band, and that they were working together on new material.

Apparently they didn't tell Hayley and their drummer that they were out of the band - and they mention this on their individual facebook pages......given what this band has gone through over the years, I don't doubt this at all......what a shame though - this band put out a monster with Secrets of Angels, and hopefully they can do it again with some other singer......although Hayley fits this music perfectly.

if you are fan of this incarnation of the band - and / or love Secrets of Angels, you will want this show for your collection.

That album made my top ten that year too. I was very high on it (except the prog song, ha!), so I will have to check out what this set is like.

I hadn't heard any of that news. That's a real shame. Hayley was fantastic, and definitely made things sparkle a bit more than I remember with anyone else. Darn.

Return to “PM: Core”