So im trying out a pair of Bryston Power Amps and threw on..

The Heart of the Prog/Power Movement

Moderators: TROY or maybe DEBBIE, Stevie WOnder, Digital Man

Testofwills
Posts: 588
Joined: Sun Apr 25, 2004 8:55 pm
Location: Hamilton,Ontario

So im trying out a pair of Bryston Power Amps and threw on..

Postby Testofwills » Thu May 10, 2018 5:14 pm

The Count of Tuscany by Dream Theater on vinyl....There 400 watt amps and I have them wired up to a Anthem-Preamp...Turned the volume to about 3 oclock and was blown away how good this song sounded ..SO much power and so clean and very loud. this song came across..Such a epic song and that section where Petrucii does that quiet thing on his guitar around the 11 min mark just brings goosebumps to me....and the ending is one of the best finales you will ever hear in a song...just awesome

User avatar
introclaus
Posts: 708
Joined: Sat Apr 17, 2004 7:40 am
Location: Raleigh, NC
Contact:

Re: So im trying out a pair of Bryston Power Amps and threw on..

Postby introclaus » Fri May 11, 2018 7:26 am

1) dang .. those amps are like $2500 and up to $15k - someone got a nice tax return huh? ;)

2) count of Tuscany is a great tune. It’s interesting how Dream theater never seem to disappoint when they write those long 10+ minute epics, but their shorter songs (especially towards the second half of their career) has been less than overwhelming. It’s almost as if they turn the autopilot off and just start writing for “fun” it becomes way better. Also, that song has some really bad lyrics - of course DT were never about writing amazing lyrics, but this one in particular sucks.
Claus Jensen

User avatar
LarryD
Site Admin
Posts: 6299
Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2004 7:57 pm
Location: Rhode Island / USA

Re: So im trying out a pair of Bryston Power Amps and threw on..

Postby LarryD » Fri May 11, 2018 7:53 am

Testofwills wrote:The Count of Tuscany by Dream Theater on vinyl....There 400 watt amps and I have them wired up to a Anthem-Preamp...Turned the volume to about 3 oclock and was blown away how good this song sounded ..SO much power and so clean and very loud. this song came across..Such a epic song and that section where Petrucii does that quiet thing on his guitar around the 11 min mark just brings goosebumps to me....and the ending is one of the best finales you will ever hear in a song...just awesome


***You had to throw in the part about the Bryston amps right ? :cry: Consider me jealous ........ that said, Count of Tuscany is an amazing song ....... I was lucky enough to see them play it live on the Black Clouds tour ......and seeing Petrucci play that guitar passage live did indeed induce goosebumps .......

And Claus -- what's wrong with these lyrics ? Perfectly normal and tells the story........... :wink:


Get into my car
Let's go for drive
I love the way I feel uptight
Just step inside

And last we came upon
A picturesque estate
On sprawling emerald hills
An ancient world of times gone by

Sparky
Posts: 1104
Joined: Mon Apr 19, 2004 1:33 pm

Re: So im trying out a pair of Bryston Power Amps and threw on..

Postby Sparky » Fri May 11, 2018 9:41 am

Spun up Count in honor of this thread. The first thing that hit me is how tightly the band is integrated here. Mangini is a godly player, but Portnoy really was the heart of the band and his playing, particularly alongside Petrucci, is just hand-in-glove. Those two guys together are just...yeah.

This is one of those tunes I could listen to repeatedly and not tire of. It's basically got *everything* that is Dream Theater.

(and soooooooooo glad I'm not an audiophile :D )
I'll be the judge of what's good and what isn't, thank you... ;)

User avatar
LarryD
Site Admin
Posts: 6299
Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2004 7:57 pm
Location: Rhode Island / USA

Re: So im trying out a pair of Bryston Power Amps and threw on..

Postby LarryD » Fri May 11, 2018 10:04 am

(and soooooooooo glad I'm not an audiophile :D


***it's a sickness for sure -- but the rewards are so fulfilling ......... :wink:

User avatar
Chris R
Posts: 482
Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:25 pm
Location: Tampa Bay

Re: So im trying out a pair of Bryston Power Amps and threw on..

Postby Chris R » Fri May 11, 2018 10:47 am

This was the song that basicly made me love Dream Theater again after 2 not so good releases...

(Virtual)Scott Mosher said it best...that song was the song most of us had been wanting and waiting for Dream Theater to write for 15 years(to me this was the best song since Home from Scenes)..
Tarja is a female woman
Image

User avatar
introclaus
Posts: 708
Joined: Sat Apr 17, 2004 7:40 am
Location: Raleigh, NC
Contact:

Re: So im trying out a pair of Bryston Power Amps and threw on..

Postby introclaus » Fri May 11, 2018 2:45 pm

Chris R wrote:This was the song that basicly made me love Dream Theater again after 2 not so good releases...

(Virtual)Scott Mosher said it best...that song was the song most of us had been wanting and waiting for Dream Theater to write for 15 years(to me this was the best song since Home from Scenes)..


Agreed!
Claus Jensen

Sparky
Posts: 1104
Joined: Mon Apr 19, 2004 1:33 pm

Re: So im trying out a pair of Bryston Power Amps and threw on..

Postby Sparky » Fri May 11, 2018 3:11 pm

Man, the crowds in the LaBrie thread and this one are TOUGH. I dunno...if you can't get anything out of 6 Degrees, Train of Thought, or Octavarium...I guess I'd argue that your tastes obviously wandered elsewhere, because it wasn't like there was a drop in quality after Scenes...in fact, they acquitted themselves quite well in the shadow of Scenes.
I'll be the judge of what's good and what isn't, thank you... ;)

User avatar
introclaus
Posts: 708
Joined: Sat Apr 17, 2004 7:40 am
Location: Raleigh, NC
Contact:

Re: So im trying out a pair of Bryston Power Amps and threw on..

Postby introclaus » Fri May 11, 2018 3:41 pm

Sparky wrote:Man, the crowds in the LaBrie thread and this one are TOUGH. I dunno...if you can't get anything out of 6 Degrees, Train of Thought, or Octavarium...I guess I'd argue that your tastes obviously wandered elsewhere, because it wasn't like there was a drop in quality after Scenes...in fact, they acquitted themselves quite well in the shadow of Scenes.


I don’t think octavrium and train of thought were bad as per se, (systematic chaos though ... ugh). Some good songs but nothing as great as on Black Clouds..

Now, I actually love 6 Degrees - especially Glass Prison and the entire second disc are phenomenal!

However, count of Tuscany is where they after three albums showed their earlier class again.
Claus Jensen

User avatar
LarryD
Site Admin
Posts: 6299
Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2004 7:57 pm
Location: Rhode Island / USA

Re: So im trying out a pair of Bryston Power Amps and threw on..

Postby LarryD » Fri May 11, 2018 5:21 pm

Man, the crowds in the LaBrie thread and this one are TOUGH. I dunno...if you can't get anything out of 6 Degrees, Train of Thought, or Octavarium...I guess I'd argue that your tastes obviously wandered elsewhere, because it wasn't like there was a drop in quality after Scenes...in fact, they acquitted themselves quite well in the shadow of Scenes.


^^^^^ THIS.

***We're turning this into a DT / what is good and what isn't thread ..... what about the Bryston amps ??? :wink:

Octavarium is awesome ...... as is 6 Degrees......... the only disc I would not argue as being sub-par DT is S-Chaos........ The rest is quality DT.

User avatar
ToddS
Site Admin
Posts: 3103
Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2004 9:38 pm
Location: New Orleans

Re: So im trying out a pair of Bryston Power Amps and threw on..

Postby ToddS » Fri May 11, 2018 9:31 pm

Killer song! I really dig Black Clouds overall. There are some rough passages lyrically like most all they records aside from the early stuff. I think Images and Awake had some great lyrics actually.

Rob we should talk audio gear sometime.
"My songs become my freedom, and my freedom turns to gold"

User avatar
Sir Exar Kun
Posts: 2309
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2004 3:25 pm
Location: Columbus, OH

Re: So im trying out a pair of Bryston Power Amps and threw on..

Postby Sir Exar Kun » Sat May 12, 2018 8:54 am

Systematic Chaos isn't all that bad either; it has a couple of great songs (Presence of Enemies I & II, Prophets of War). Alas, it also has "Dark Eternal Night" which is one of my least favorite DT numbers of all time.
Capitalism: God's way of separating the smart from the poor. -Ron Swanson

Testofwills
Posts: 588
Joined: Sun Apr 25, 2004 8:55 pm
Location: Hamilton,Ontario

Re: So im trying out a pair of Bryston Power Amps and threw on..

Postby Testofwills » Fri May 18, 2018 5:13 pm

introclaus wrote:1) dang .. those amps are like $2500 and up to $15k - someone got a nice tax return huh? ;)

2) count of Tuscany is a great tune. It’s interesting how Dream theater never seem to disappoint when they write those long 10+ minute epics, but their shorter songs (especially towards the second half of their career) has been less than overwhelming. It’s almost as if they turn the autopilot off and just start writing for “fun” it becomes way better. Also, that song has some really bad lyrics - of course DT were never about writing amazing lyrics, but this one in particular sucks.


haha Claus.....Not sure their worth that much..There 20yrs old and I just put $1200 into them to upgrade them etc......

Testofwills
Posts: 588
Joined: Sun Apr 25, 2004 8:55 pm
Location: Hamilton,Ontario

Re: So im trying out a pair of Bryston Power Amps and threw on..

Postby Testofwills » Fri May 18, 2018 5:14 pm

Sir Exar Kun wrote:Systematic Chaos isn't all that bad either; it has a couple of great songs (Presence of Enemies I & II, Prophets of War). Alas, it also has "Dark Eternal Night" which is one of my least favorite DT numbers of all time.



If your interested I have that DT on vinyl that im selling


Return to “PM: Core”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: elendil, Sparky and 8 guests