The Heart of the Prog/Power Movement

Moderators: TROY or maybe DEBBIE, Stevie WOnder, Digital Man

dwhitt

LaBrie cancels PPUSA performance

Postby dwhitt » Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:23 am

Chris R

Re: LaBrie cancels PPUSA performance

Postby Chris R » Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:37 am

When was he ever part of the songwriting process?

Douchbag move on every level...
Tarja is a female woman

Guillaume

Postby Guillaume » Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:39 am

Sucks bad for Glenn at such short notice...

But I'd guess noone would be mad if this would be the replacement! Fingers crossed!
http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/former ... this-fall/
Last edited by Guillaume on Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Guillaume

Postby Guillaume » Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:42 am

Chris R wrote:When was he ever part of the songwriting process?

What I thought as well... As if writing could not have waited a few days... Could have found a better reason, cause this looks really bad...

Strike one: revealing he headlines before the actual PP announcement.
Strike two: cancelling 4 months prior to the show...

dwhitt

Postby dwhitt » Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:56 am

Super Metal Stud wrote:

But I'd guess noone would be mad if this would be the replacement! Fingers crossed!

Anyone who knows me from years gone by knows that I could not stand up from my desk after reading this article this morning due to my immediate erection.
Last edited by dwhitt on Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

LarryD
Site Admin

Postby LarryD » Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:57 am

Such a bad move on his part ....... and once again, someone screws over Glenn - not to mention being a headlining act. Every year this happens to him - it's almost expected at this point - and while he pulls rabbits out of hats like no other, I know it has to be so stressful to have to do so ........

And as others have said - that excuse is pretty lame. DT can do without you for the weekend, let's face it ........ a damn shame overall.

LarryD
Site Admin

Postby LarryD » Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:58 am

Anyone who knows me from years gone by knows that I could not stand up from my desk after reading this article this morning due to my immediate erection.

*** I haven't seen that erection in so long - it's nice to know that it's still there......... :wink:

dwhitt

Postby dwhitt » Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:02 am

LarryD wrote:

*** I haven't seen that erection in so long - it's nice to know that it's still there......... :wink:

So I guess all my texts with attachments haven't been making it to you. I'll try "harder" I guess.

Guillaume

Postby Guillaume » Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:03 am

dwhitt wrote:
Super Metal Stud wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

LarryD
Site Admin

Postby LarryD » Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:05 am

So I guess all my texts with attachments haven't been making it to you. I'll try "harder" I guess.

***Thank you -- that would be greatly appreciated ........... :)

dwhitt

Postby dwhitt » Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:09 am

LarryD wrote:Such a bad move on his part ....... and once again, someone screws over Glenn - not to mention being a headlining act. Every year this happens to him - it's almost expected at this point - and while he pulls rabbits out of hats like no other, I know it has to be so stressful to have to do so ........

And as others have said - that excuse is pretty lame. DT can do without you for the weekend, let's face it ........ a damn shame overall.

The part about Glenn pulling rabbits out of hats and playing shell games is what I thought about right off this morning. It has to be frustrating and exhausting. Glad he hangs in there. It is something I don't take for granted cause I feel like we are all beneficiaries of his perseverance.

And they definitely should have come up with some more compelling reasons...even if they had to use outrageous lies like, "all band members lost their arms and legs".

Chris R

Postby Chris R » Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:14 am

LarryD wrote:

Now if you had Instagram you could be creeping this like a.bunch of unnamed musicians from bands we like here that follow my page for that reason. :P
Tarja is a female woman

ToddS
Site Admin

Postby ToddS » Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:20 pm

Guillaume wrote:

What I thought as well... As if writing could not have waited a few days... Could have found a better reason, cause this looks really bad...

Me as well. Writing? Since when? Looks like a dick move to
me. Headliner cancelling makes it even worse.

Here is to Glenn working his magic once again.
"My songs become my freedom, and my freedom turns to gold"

ToddS
Site Admin

Postby ToddS » Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:22 pm

dwhitt wrote:
Super Metal Stud wrote:

Glad I wasn’t standing in front of you at the time.

Guillaume

Postby Guillaume » Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:34 pm

ToddS wrote:
dwhitt wrote:
Super Metal Stud wrote:

Glad I wasn’t standing in front of you at the time.

:shock: :lol:

Mardoch

Postby Mardoch » Tue May 01, 2018 11:33 pm

ToddS wrote:
Guillaume wrote:

Me as well. Writing? Since when? Looks like a dick move to
me. Headliner cancelling makes it even worse.

Here is to Glenn working his magic once again.

Super shit look for LaBrie. DT doesn't matter anymore anyway.

Sir Exar Kun

Postby Sir Exar Kun » Wed May 02, 2018 8:01 am

LOL.
Capitalism: God's way of separating the smart from the poor. -Ron Swanson

Sparky

Postby Sparky » Wed May 02, 2018 1:53 pm

...and Glenn turns right around and gets Sons of Apollo. BOOM.

Mardoch

Postby Mardoch » Wed May 02, 2018 4:08 pm

Sir Exar Kun wrote:

LOL.

I know that's going to get filed under "hot takes" but, imo, they've not made a good album since 2003. Other than legacy, are they really important to prog in 2018?

MidKnight

Postby MidKnight » Wed May 02, 2018 5:05 pm

I have to agree.

I have pretty much zero interest in DT and I was a huge fan " back in the day "

I would rather see James and his solo band perform than DT ( duck for cover ) :P
I never got a hotdog! (or that Mini 5 track DTM cd )

Sir Exar Kun

Postby Sir Exar Kun » Wed May 02, 2018 8:06 pm

they've not made a good album since 2003. Other than legacy, are they really important to prog in 2018?

See, now that's just crazy talk. Just because they haven't broken any new ground doesn't mean they aren't putting out good albums. "Astonishing" is the only weak moment (for me), and the rest are all ranging from great to brilliant.

Are they important in 2018? I'd say extremely relevant, but not "important". They aren't advancing the genre any further, that's for sure, but they still are among the best live performers around. I saw Haken last summer and swore that they were the new crowning champs of live prog, but then saw DT a few weeks later and had to eat those words. They absolutely still have it, in spades.

I'm interested to hear this next album, and what direction it really goes. They keep talking heavier, more proggy, ala early era stuff..... But we'll see. Regardless, I expect it to be nothing less than magnificent.

Sir Exar Kun

Postby Sir Exar Kun » Wed May 02, 2018 8:08 pm

I would rather see James and his solo band perform than DT ( duck for cover ) :P

(Throwing pickles at you now.....)

If both were magically playing the same night, I'd go see James as I never saw him solo live. I'm willing to bet, though, that DT live is a better show. Just a hunch.

prog_powermetal99

Postby prog_powermetal99 » Wed May 02, 2018 8:56 pm

I haven't cared for a DT CD since Scenes of a Memory came out. That was the last cd by them that I actually liked...........The magical days are long gone........

ToddS
Site Admin

Postby ToddS » Thu May 03, 2018 2:30 pm

DT has some good, even great songs on their past several albums, but I don't think they made a truly great album in quit some time. The Astonishing being an all time low mark. I'm still a fan, and always hope their next one will be another masterpiece. Petrucci is still a bad ass guitar player. Hope he writes better lyrics/story, and of course music next time around.

Mardoch

Postby Mardoch » Thu May 03, 2018 6:42 pm

Sir Exar Kun wrote:
they've not made a good album since 2003. Other than legacy, are they really important to prog in 2018?

See, now that's just crazy talk. Just because they haven't broken any new ground doesn't mean they aren't putting out good albums. "Astonishing" is the only weak moment (for me), and the rest are all ranging from great to brilliant.

Are they important in 2018? I'd say extremely relevant, but not "important". They aren't advancing the genre any further, that's for sure, but they still are among the best live performers around. I saw Haken last summer and swore that they were the new crowning champs of live prog, but then saw DT a few weeks later and had to eat those words. They absolutely still have it, in spades.

I'm interested to hear this next album, and what direction it really goes. They keep talking heavier, more proggy, ala early era stuff..... But we'll see. Regardless, I expect it to be nothing less than magnificent.

I'll test the new stuff just as I have for the past few albums but I suspect we will end up agreeing to disagree. I will, however, grant you the distinction between relevance and importance. Fair point, that one.

AllMediaReviews

Postby AllMediaReviews » Sun May 06, 2018 3:44 pm

Dream Theater:

-need to demo
-need to play new songs live before they record them
-need an outside producer

none of these things seem to ever happen anymore, and have very little chance of happening again as long as the band members are happy with the way they are doing things.

Mark

Postby Mark » Mon May 07, 2018 2:22 pm

A bit more from Labrie, delivered indirectly through the Dream Theater forums moderator bosk1.

From https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boar ... c=52338.35

bosk1 wrote:James asked me to post this here.  It does not really give us any specific insight into what is going on, but at least clarifies that, as I said, this is NOT a "DT made me do it" situation.

Quote from: James LaBrie
"It’s come to my attention that there’s been some backlash toward Dream Theater regarding my decision to pull out from my solo band’s appearance at ProgPower this year.  This is my decision to pull out and has absolutely no bearing on DT. If anyone has any issues, it should be with me and me alone. Any vented frustration should be directed towards me, not DT.  I thank you all for your continued support, and I look forward to bringing my solo band’s performance to you all when the time is right!  Best, James."

A few posts later:
bosk1 wrote:I can tell you both from James' announcement, which I posted above, and my conversation with John Petrucci yesterday afternoon that DT going into the studio has nothing to do with the cancellation.

ToddS
Site Admin

Postby ToddS » Mon May 07, 2018 5:31 pm

AllMediaReviews wrote:Dream Theater:

-need to demo
-need to play new songs live before they record them
-need an outside producer

none of these things seem to ever happen anymore, and have very little chance of happening again as long as the band members are happy with the way they are doing things.

I don’t necessarily think they need to demo and play live. It certainly would not hurt though.
But...
They really need a outside producer and not a puppet like the caveman.

On 2nd though, demoing could only help.

They just want to do everything so spontaneous now it seems. That works at times, but often leads to underdeveloped songs.

ToddS
Site Admin

Postby ToddS » Mon May 07, 2018 5:36 pm

Mark wrote:A bit more from Labrie, delivered indirectly through the Dream Theater forums moderator bosk1.

From https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boar ... c=52338.35

bosk1 wrote:James asked me to post this here.  It does not really give us any specific insight into what is going on, but at least clarifies that, as I said, this is NOT a "DT made me do it" situation.

Quote from: James LaBrie
"It’s come to my attention that there’s been some backlash toward Dream Theater regarding my decision to pull out from my solo band’s appearance at ProgPower this year.  This is my decision to pull out and has absolutely no bearing on DT. If anyone has any issues, it should be with me and me alone. Any vented frustration should be directed towards me, not DT.  I thank you all for your continued support, and I look forward to bringing my solo band’s performance to you all when the time is right!  Best, James."

A few posts later:
bosk1 wrote:I can tell you both from James' announcement, which I posted above, and my conversation with John Petrucci yesterday afternoon that DT going into the studio has nothing to do with the cancellation.

I think we all had a hard time buying the reason given. Whatever the reason, I’m glad it happened given the replacement.

Return to “PM: Core”