Rush: musical stuff I'm thankful for...

The Heart of the Prog/Power Movement

Moderators: TROY or maybe DEBBIE, Stevie WOnder, Digital Man

Sparky

Rush: musical stuff I'm thankful for...

Postby Sparky » Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:53 pm

I had their Exit... concert on BETAMAX. Regardless of the format, it SUCKED. Still does. Randomly picked Time Machine of the shelf tonight (wife out of town, though she loves Rush).

Thank GOD this band hung on long enough to be properly filmed, and multiple times, even.

Life is good.
I'll be the judge of what's good and what isn't, thank you... ;)

LarryD
Site Admin

Re: Rush: musical stuff I'm thankful for...

Postby LarryD » Sun Apr 29, 2018 7:48 am

That EXIT show I still have on VHS - and yes, it doeth suck........in audio / video quality that is .......just having By-Tor & The Snow Dog on there makes it ok for me......
I've got the show which was transferred to DVD and it still sucks quality wise, along with the re-mastered version on CD in which the bass has been kicked up a bit.....I don't think anything in the world could make that show sound better, but I'm glad I have it anyway ........

For my money - the best show they ever released was the R30 show ...... and I have every one of them, except the Clockwork Angels show and the R40 show, in which Geddy just can't pull it off anymore even by my standards........

Kez

Postby Kez » Wed May 02, 2018 10:44 am

The Clockwork Angels DVD is my all time favorite recorded performance of theirs. I don't understand your reluctance, at all.

That show gives me goosebumps, every time. But I also think the disk of the same name is a masterpiece, so I guess I'm biased.

Sparky

Postby Sparky » Wed May 02, 2018 11:12 am

LarryD wrote:For my money - the best show they ever released was the R30 show ...... and I have every one of them, except the Clockwork Angels show and the R40 show, in which Geddy just can't pull it off anymore even by my standards........

Yeah, R40 is...rough. I understand why Rush fans (of which I'm a huge one) give Geddy a pass, but...yeah.

Clockwork Angles, even if Geddy's vocals aren't tip-top is a must have. The strings, the visuals, etc. are just fantastic.

LarryD
Site Admin

Postby LarryD » Wed May 02, 2018 12:01 pm

Beginning with the R30 show, and maybe a bit before, Geddy was starting to struggle with his voice ......I thought he did a great job of pushing it thru the R30 show, but everything I've seen after that, his voice just can't handle the notes anymore, and maybe it either grating on me or it was a bit of sympathy on my part but I just couldn't bare to listen .......

That said - I have never seen the R40 show, but I've read things about it and heard that he just couldn't pull it off ...... I didn't care for the Clockwork Angels disc, and I did see the whole show ..... the visuals are great, as is the stage itself, but between the setlist and Geddy's vocals, I couldn't bring myself to buy it .......

I've got every show from the beginning and on up to Snakes and Arrows and Time Machine, in which I cringed when he couldn't do the notes of Moving Pictures, but I got it anyway for the obvious ......

Return to “PM: Core”