Zero Hour - The Towers of Avarice

The Heart of the Prog/Power Movement

Moderators: TROY or maybe DEBBIE, Stevie WOnder, Digital Man

prog_powermetal99

Zero Hour - The Towers of Avarice

Postby prog_powermetal99 » Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:29 pm

I broke this cd out for the first time in a long time tonight......... Man, I forgot just how good this cd is. It seems pretty timeless too. It doesn't feel like it's dated....Still one of my favorites of all time!!

Dusty

LarryD
Site Admin

Re: Zero Hour - The Towers of Avarice

Postby LarryD » Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:05 am

prog_powermetal99 wrote:I broke this cd out for the first time in a long time tonight......... Man, I forgot just how good this cd is. It seems pretty timeless too. It doesn't feel like it's dated....Still one of my favorites of all time!!

Dusty

***Oh no Dusty !!!!! You just awakened that sleeping beast called Stevie ...... this post will surely get him fired up and back out into the public eye ............ :o

AllMediaReviews

Postby AllMediaReviews » Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:45 am

yeah, it's one of my favorites.

It stands out not only among the rest of their catalog, but a lot of the progressive and technical metal, really in history.

For some reason, Erick Rosvold made a really big difference for them, and on that record. I enjoyed the Cynthesis stuff too, although the production (cymbals clipping namely).

Sparky

Postby Sparky » Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:47 pm

Stevie coming in 3, 2,..
I'll be the judge of what's good and what isn't, thank you... ;)

LarryD
Site Admin

Postby LarryD » Sun Apr 29, 2018 7:49 am

Sparky wrote:Stevie coming in 3, 2,..

***He was away this week - when he sees this, he will jump on it ........... :wink:

LarryD
Site Admin

Postby LarryD » Sun Apr 29, 2018 7:59 am

I'm one of the few who think that the original Zero Hour (then re-released as Metamorphosis) is one of the best prog metal discs ever.......I still do, and when Metamorphosis was released, it was like hearing it for the first time all over again ........

I think the thick production, the keyboards, and the fact that it came out right around the time we were all looking for that "next" prog metal band.......makes this my go-to for Zero Hour.

I'm pretty sure I was at Ken's house way back in the years, and he pulled out this disc, which was unknown at the time, and played it for me ...... I was absolutely floored...... I've got every Zero Hour released, whether I like the disc or not - this band has never got the recognition they deserved, and they were family as well as musicians to us .......

As for Towers - this is the one disc that Stevie has been trying to get me into since the day it came out. I don't think a year has gone by where he hasn't tried to convince me that it's one of the greatest prog metal discs of all time ......and each time I go back to it, I can't get thru the whole thing......and it's only because I get a cold feeling from this disc and I mean that literally. While Metamorphis completely warms me like a blanket, Towers feels like someone is pouring ice over me, yet Stevie tells me it's so melodic and warm that I'm pretty much out of my mind ...........and many others do as well, too many to mention ............

So while I'm home still recuperating from my broken bones -- I'm going to take this disc out and play it from start to finish and not hit stop ........ I'll take notes if I have to...... and then I'm going to take out Metamorphosis after that.

prog_powermetal99

Postby prog_powermetal99 » Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:31 am

LarryD wrote:I'm one of the few who think that the original Zero Hour (then re-released as Metamorphosis) is one of the best prog metal discs ever.......I still do, and when Metamorphosis was released, it was like hearing it for the first time all over again ........

I think the thick production, the keyboards, and the fact that it came out right around the time we were all looking for that "next" prog metal band.......makes this my go-to for Zero Hour.

I'm pretty sure I was at Ken's house way back in the years, and he pulled out this disc, which was unknown at the time, and played it for me ...... I was absolutely floored...... I've got every Zero Hour released, whether I like the disc or not - this band has never got the recognition they deserved, and they were family as well as musicians to us .......

As for Towers - this is the one disc that Stevie has been trying to get me into since the day it came out. I don't think a year has gone by where he hasn't tried to convince me that it's one of the greatest prog metal discs of all time ......and each time I go back to it, I can't get thru the whole thing......and it's only because I get a cold feeling from this disc and I mean that literally. While Metamorphis completely warms me like a blanket, Towers feels like someone is pouring ice over me, yet Stevie tells me it's so melodic and warm that I'm pretty much out of my mind ...........and many others do as well, too many to mention ............

So while I'm home still recuperating from my broken bones -- I'm going to take this disc out and play it from start to finish and not hit stop ........ I'll take notes if I have to...... and then I'm going to take out Metamorphosis after that.

I hear ya Larry. it does have a very cold and calculated feeling, but that's kind of the nature of Technical Metal. Towers does not sound like any CD I've ever heard before. This actually is closer to "Math Metal" but I feel it has more melodies than Math Metal does, especially on the slower songs. I think it's the powerful crunch sound and amazing musicianship and pure unique style that grabbed me first, and then the vocal nuances of Eric started to creep in more and more when I listened to it. But yea, if it's just not your thing, you can listen to it 1,000 times and probably not care for it much.

I often wonder what happened to Zero Hour? How can a band so talented stop making music so early in their careers? I know that they put out the Cynthesis stuff several years back, but have since disappeared it seems.....

GaetanL

Postby GaetanL » Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:58 am

Like Larry, I remember liking more the debut. I have the original self titled debut on CD. I don't have the re-release as "Metamorphosis". I haven't played the debut for a looooooong time. I'll probably buy "Metamorphosis" with the bonus tracks and revisit...
Gaétan
Musique Progressive Dynamique
Site consacré au métal progressif, au néo-prog et au hard rock
http://www.musiqueprog.net

gazinwales

Postby gazinwales » Sun Apr 29, 2018 4:26 pm

While I love Towers, I do refer the debut for one reason, it has keyboards and hence more atmosphere.
Towers sounds very cold and dark, while ZH/Meta is a little more brighter.

AllMediaReviews

Postby AllMediaReviews » Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:39 am

This is a classic epic that has one of the best climaxes ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAYybEhOPhU

ToddS
Site Admin

Postby ToddS » Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:25 pm

One of my all time favorites. I still spin it a few times a year.
"My songs become my freedom, and my freedom turns to gold"

LASERCD

Postby LASERCD » Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:35 pm

I keep wondering if anyone would be interested in a vinyl release...

:?:

AllMediaReviews

Postby AllMediaReviews » Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:07 pm

I would pick it up on Vinyl in a second.

Chris R

Postby Chris R » Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:08 pm

I have nevsr heard their debut
Why have I never heard Zero Hour's debut when everyone says it's right up my ally with the added atmospheric keys?

Must fix this
Tarja is a female woman

gazinwales

Postby gazinwales » Tue May 01, 2018 3:31 am

Vinyl, yes, coloured would be even better.

LarryD
Site Admin

Postby LarryD » Tue May 01, 2018 7:22 am

Chris R wrote:I have nevsr heard their debut
Why have I never heard Zero Hour's debut when everyone says it's right up my ally with the added atmospheric keys?

Must fix this

*** Get the re-issue of the disc called "Metamorphosis" ...... it was re-issued in 2003 with some added in acoustic / atmospheric passages....it's the same disc but they just added some extras besides the original music .......

The original, released in 1999 - signaled (IMO), the start of a new progressive metal era for the new decade ...although some could argue that SX / The Divine Wings of Tragedy was that disc - but I'm talking about as close to the year 2000 as possible. When I heard this disc - and I remember well the day Ken played this for me, I proclaimed that finally a band had come along (aside from Dream Theater) and rivaled the excitement that Fates Warning and Queensryche gave us in the 80s ........
Of course, Zero Hour went full on technical after that disc and sort of left me in the dust -- but while I have "liked" most of what they have done since, the debut will always be one of my favorite prog metal discs of all time ......

Since I'm house bound still - this post has made me want to go pull out some Zero Hour and rejoice ....... so I'm going to grab Metamorphosis, Towers of Avarice (I'll play it all the way thru in their honor), and both Cynthesis discs, which are more my speed and I am love with ..........

I miss this band ....... and if anyone is wondering what happened to them -- I pulled this from Wiki .............

The band has since disbanded due to Troy Tipton's arm injury. Jasun Tipton stated "...he had the surgery and has been working hard to get back into playing shape. He’ll never be perfect but he’s gaining some strength in his arm and pushing forward. Much of the Zero Hour material Troy played with a lot of left hand strength. In Zero Hour there’s a lot of tapping and legato bass line in the material. Troy can’t and will not put his arm through those problems again as he still has issues." Jasun & Troy are now focusing on two new projects: the instrumental act Abnormal Thought Patterns and the vocally-driven Cynthesis[1

Sir Exar Kun

Postby Sir Exar Kun » Tue May 01, 2018 9:24 am

The original, released in 1999 - signaled (IMO), the start of a new progressive metal era for the new decade ...although some could argue that SX / The Divine Wings of Tragedy was that disc - but I'm talking about as close to the year 2000 as possible. When I heard this disc - and I remember well the day Ken played this for me, I proclaimed that finally a band had come along (aside from Dream Theater) and rivaled the excitement that Fates Warning and Queensryche gave us in the 80s ........
Of course, Zero Hour went full on technical after that disc and sort of left me in the dust -- but while I have "liked" most of what they have done since, the debut will always be one of my favorite prog metal discs of all time ......

Seems like that time (at least in my head, and I could find that some of these are off by a couple years) was a mini big-bang for prog metal. Zero Hour, Power of Omens, and Pain of Salvation are all (again, at least in my head) all right around the same time. Similarly, you also had more power / neo-classical influenced bands like SX and Royal Hunt releasing BREAKTHROUGH albums.

Magical times for sure.
Capitalism: God's way of separating the smart from the poor. -Ron Swanson

LarryD
Site Admin

Postby LarryD » Tue May 01, 2018 9:40 am

Seems like that time (at least in my head, and I could find that some of these are off by a couple years) was a mini big-bang for prog metal. Zero Hour, Power of Omens, and Pain of Salvation are all (again, at least in my head) all right around the same time. Similarly, you also had more power / neo-classical influenced bands like SX and Royal Hunt releasing BREAKTHROUGH albums.

Magical times for sure.

***Magical times indeed ...... hard to believe this all happened 20 years ago ............ :shock:

AllMediaReviews

Postby AllMediaReviews » Tue May 01, 2018 1:08 pm

I recall Paul Cashman described his impression to me of ZH (on their debut album) as some kind of "Prog Metal Hanson."

but he also said basically how could anyone not like them (as people and their music), saying that would be like someone saying they don't like puppies, lol.

LASERCD

Postby LASERCD » Tue May 01, 2018 4:33 pm

Last week Jasun sent me some new music to check out. I won't comment beyond saying its outstanding.

LarryD
Site Admin

Postby LarryD » Tue May 01, 2018 5:04 pm

LASERCD wrote:Last week Jasun sent me some new music to check out. I won't comment beyond saying its outstanding.

***So glad he is still putting out music ........ playing Cynthesis right now ....... :!:

ToddS
Site Admin

Postby ToddS » Tue May 01, 2018 5:19 pm

LASERCD wrote:Last week Jasun sent me some new music to check out. I won't comment beyond saying its outstanding.

Awesome news!
I would be interested in a vinyl of Towers as well.

LarryD
Site Admin

Postby LarryD » Wed May 02, 2018 12:05 pm

So today I pulled out Metamorphosis, Towers of Avarice, and both Cynthesis discs .......playing them in that order.

Just finished Metamorphosis and I never tire of this disc ...... it sits right on the cusp of my tolerance for technical metal, but it's so damn melodic that I don't even notice......everything is so perfect on this prog metal gem. The melodies, Erik sounds fabulous (his best I think) and the plus is the addition of the keyboards......they make the disc so much more special than it already is. One of my favorite prog metal discs........

On to Towers.......

LarryD
Site Admin

Postby LarryD » Wed May 02, 2018 12:53 pm

As expected - I could not get thru the whole thing ....... I had to stop it about halfway thru. I loved the parts where Erik is singing mostly alone with some background guitar, his voice shines.....but when the technical parts kick in, I just get this cold feeling without the keyboards, and the melodies that just warmed the hell out of me on Metamorphosis are nowhere to be found here...... I hadn't played this in a long time, and I was hoping that in my older age I would become a bit more tolerant, but it was not to happen today.....

On to Cynthesis........

Sir Exar Kun

Postby Sir Exar Kun » Wed May 02, 2018 2:11 pm

Skipping Dark Deceiver and Specs of Pictures??? What's WRONG with you?!?
Capitalism: God's way of separating the smart from the poor. -Ron Swanson

LarryD
Site Admin

Postby LarryD » Wed May 02, 2018 4:18 pm

Sir Exar Kun wrote:Skipping Dark Deceiver and Specs of Pictures??? What's WRONG with you?!?

***Well, the original idea was to re-live the glory of Metamorphosis, and to see if I could enjoy Towers of Avarice after all this time ....... the 2 Cynthesis discs are a given as I know I love those........ I'm house bound, but my attention span would not allow me to play 6 Zero Hour discs in one day ........ :P

Stevie WOnder

Postby Stevie WOnder » Wed May 02, 2018 7:58 pm

Hell yeah!!!!! This disc is a monster!! Top 5 desert island disc for me. I still play it regularly and will keep playing it for the rest of my life.

It's just perfection to me! And you all have to love it!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
"Manowar rules!!!" - Larry D

Mark

Postby Mark » Thu May 03, 2018 9:21 am

The thank-you list in the booklet for Towers of Avarice is how I found the Perpetual Motion board.

I can't remember what band ZH replaced at ProgPower in 2006 (Wastefall?) but they slayed as the replacement. The bass playing really stood out too - even moreso than it does on the albums.

Hearing Aid Man

Postby Hearing Aid Man » Thu May 03, 2018 9:46 am

Exactly my thoughts!!! :? :P

ToddS
Site Admin

Postby ToddS » Mon May 07, 2018 5:39 pm

Hearing Aid Man wrote:

Exactly my thoughts!!! :? :P

Indeed. Everything they put out is very good at the least.

AllMediaReviews

Postby AllMediaReviews » Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:19 am

bump.

interesting new review posted by a new fan on YouTube.

The Marillion and Neoprog influences, observation I guess I don't follow all that much. But maybe the guys are fans?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6J1bANF7Wg

Return to “PM: Core”