HEKZ / Invicta......

The Heart of the Prog/Power Movement

Moderators: TROY or maybe DEBBIE, Stevie WOnder, Digital Man

LarryD
Site Admin

HEKZ / Invicta......

Postby LarryD » Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:09 pm

I've been spending time with this disc - and trying to compare it to the great Caerus, their last disc. I should stop and just enjoy this for what it is, as it sounds like the next logical step from Caerus in a different way. They seem to have dropped some of the drama for the more melodic / song approach...... it's very easy to say that if you didn't care for Caerus, you will not like this one either.......

Starting with the style, I always find myself saying that this band is a more proggy version of Threshold......I said it more on Caerus, and it still can be said for this disc as well, although this disc seems to be a bit more proggy in approach... the production is stellar, even better than Caerus which was outstanding...... thick, triggered drums....crunching guitar....and they've added some "sci-fi" keyboards as some prog bands are doing lately.....the vocals are completely up front and every word is heard clearly. That's where the problem comes in for some .....the vocalist. Matt Young is the vocalist / bass player, and from what I'm reading he has a hand in most of the writing on this disc...... he has a deep, almost Broadway-like tone to his voice that was talked about with Caerus....to some, it doesn't match up with the metal, but to me it's a great combo and he adds a certain flair to the progressive music.....the problem does come in when he goes up for the high notes, and I've read in other reviews that this is mentioned as well. There are a couple of songs where he really tries to reach some high notes and his tone changes quite a bit and becomes a bit annoying....I think it's him straining more than anything..... I don't see any songs on you tube yet other than the 6:00 teaser we heard initially.......

Not many play this type of melodic prog metal anymore - and it's so cool to hear a band so young putting out such great stuff like this and Caerus, yet with their own touch......I don't hear "copycat" anywhere on this disc......and that says a lot........

I don't remember the love for Caerus when it came out -- but to those who actually loved the disc like I did, this one is a no brainer.......

Hearing Aid Man

Re: HEKZ / Invicta......

Postby Hearing Aid Man » Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:33 pm

While the production is top notch, I sure wish they would have used different packaging. It comes in a cardboard case without prongs which tends to scratch the CD each time you pull it out. Also, cd's can easily fall out once the top opening expands. I hate this type of packaging!!! :evil: Now I really hope this CD ends up being a must have for me.

LarryD
Site Admin

Postby LarryD » Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:37 pm

Hearing Aid Man wrote:While the production is top notch, I sure wish they would have used different packaging. It comes in a cardboard case without prongs which tends to scratch the CD each time you pull it out. Also, cd's can easily fall out once the top opening expands. I hate this type of packaging!!! :evil: Now I really hope this CD ends up being a must have for me.

***I hear you and agree 100% ..... I did not put that in the post, as I didn't want to be the old man on the porch ........ but yes, that packaging is worthless. Now that it's out, isn't it less expensive to release an actual CD with the plastic case than this thing ?? It's a tiny little piece of cardboard for God's sake - this is cheaper than the plastic thingies ??

I hope you dig this CD - I look forward to your thoughts .............

Random Axe

Postby Random Axe » Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:05 pm

I'm fairly certain I preordered this but my PayPal shows no payments. Strange...guess it was cancelled or a glitch. I'll sample a bit more now before buying

Sir Exar Kun

Postby Sir Exar Kun » Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:47 am

Very solid disc indeed. To me, it sounded a little more tightly composed than the last album.... A little less experimental.... But it still works 100% for me. The vocals, to me, are actually improved over Caerus, or at the very least mixed a little better so they aren't quite so dominating.

And yes, the packaging is definitely sub-par.

Highly recommended for sure!
Capitalism: God's way of separating the smart from the poor. -Ron Swanson

LarryD
Site Admin

Postby LarryD » Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:50 pm

Sir Exar Kun wrote:Very solid disc indeed. To me, it sounded a little more tightly composed than the last album.... A little less experimental.... But it still works 100% for me. The vocals, to me, are actually improved over Caerus, or at the very least mixed a little better so they aren't quite so dominating.

And yes, the packaging is definitely sub-par.

Highly recommended for sure!

***Agree with you 100% on everything above....... glad you're digging it ............

Man Of Much Metal

Postby Man Of Much Metal » Thu May 03, 2018 11:54 am

Good afternoon fellow PMer's,

Here's my take on this album for anyone interested...

https://manofmuchmetal.com/2018/05/02/h ... um-review/

Cheers!

Matt
Matt
The Man of Much Metal
The Blog Of Much Metal: https://manofmuchmetal.com/

introclaus

Postby introclaus » Sun May 06, 2018 6:44 am

Man Of Much Metal wrote:Good afternoon fellow PMer's,

Here's my take on this album for anyone interested...

https://manofmuchmetal.com/2018/05/02/h ... um-review/

Cheers!

Matt

Thanks Matt,
Your reviews has a tendency to make me go back to albums I dismissed at first and pay attention to those things you pointed out as being the strong elements.
There’s definitely a lot of interesting parts in the HEKZ album, although those vocals might keep me from pulling the trigger on buying it.
C.
Claus Jensen

LarryD
Site Admin

Postby LarryD » Sun May 06, 2018 8:39 am

I think that the vocals are certainly an acquired taste ....... some people think he should be singing on Broadway, and others think that he shouldn't be trying to hit those high notes.....most of the reviews I've read fall into the high note category....... I'd be one of the first to dismiss a band based on vocals, bu tin this case, I love what this band is doing musically, and as long as Matt stays in his range - I'm in. There is really only one song that he really does the sustained high note thing, and the rest is here and there....overall, the disc overall wins out for me. This music marries the old style prog with modern ideas, and it's fantastic.

introclaus

Postby introclaus » Sun May 06, 2018 8:59 am

LarryD wrote:I think that the vocals are certainly an acquired taste ....... some people think he should be singing on Broadway, and others think that he shouldn't be trying to hit those high notes.....most of the reviews I've read fall into the high note category....... I'd be one of the first to dismiss a band based on vocals, bu tin this case, I love what this band is doing musically, and as long as Matt stays in his range - I'm in. There is really only one song that he really does the sustained high note thing, and the rest is here and there....overall, the disc overall wins out for me. This music marries the old style prog with modern ideas, and it's fantastic.

I don’t think I’ve ever seen anyone say that the singer should sing on broadway lol. The fact is that he is not a good singer, no matter how you twist and turn it. He is technically weak. Okay, you might think it’s interestinf the way he sings, but that doesn’t make it good, and that’s really the problem here. They have a lot of great ideas going for them but the singer is what keeps me from spending my money on it.
Claus Jensen

LarryD
Site Admin

Postby LarryD » Sun May 06, 2018 9:57 am

I don’t think I’ve ever seen anyone say that the singer should sing on broadway lol. The fact is that he is not a good singer, no matter how you twist and turn it. He is technically weak. Okay, you might think it’s interestinf the way he sings, but that doesn’t make it good, and that’s really the problem here. They have a lot of great ideas going for them but the singer is what keeps me from spending my money on it.

*** I remember people saying as far back as their last album "Caerus" - that Matt sounds like he belongs on Broadway .......... that low, baritone tone of his makes him perfect for that ...... :)

But - you raise a good point. The part about the way he sings being interesting against being a good singer....... that's certainly debatable, but if we get into that particular aspect of singing - we will have to start bringing up singers from the past who were "interesting" vs "good" singers, and that would take us to the memorable and incredible time that Glenn and I had a LONG thread back on the old PM Board about Andy Kuntz vs Hansi Kursch ...... I personally don't want to go through that again, as it was fun - but exhausting. :P And in the end I'll get called a cranky old sum bitch and everyone pointing out the fact that I hated growlies back in the old days, and now I welcome it ..... oh the pain of having my stern and strict standards and inability to move forward brought up again and ......... please don't put me through that again.......

I'll even say Matt can't sing at all to avoid this at all costs....... can you tell I've been traumatized here in the past ? :wink: :lol:

Return to “PM: Core”