Question about Praying Mantis - for you AoR people....

The Heart of the Prog/Power Movement

Moderators: TROY or maybe DEBBIE, Stevie WOnder, Digital Man

LarryD
Site Admin

Question about Praying Mantis - for you AoR people....

Postby LarryD » Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:42 am

I've watched the Ayreon Universe bluray - and John Jaycee Cuijpers absolutely blew me away with his performances........ my questions are:

- Is Praying Mantis still together ?

- Does he still sing for them ?

- Which Praying Mantis disc should I check out to hear him at his best ?

Now before you guys start telling me to suck it and that I should have been listening to these guys all along, I'm not a big AoR fan - I know all the bands, but that hard rock sound doesn't enthrall me ........I've been through lots of them - and nothing clicks ....... so if you must tell me to suck it ( Glenn step forward to the front of the line ), get it over with and point me to the Praying Mantis disc that I have to hear ............. :P

Thanks for the help.......

Harvester

Re: Question about Praying Mantis - for you AoR people....

Postby Harvester » Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:47 am

He didn't join the group till 2014. "Legacy" was released in 2015 and "Gravity" comes out next month.

Thus, your old ass can use youtube or spotify like the rest of it.

And yes, suck it.

G.

LarryD
Site Admin

Postby LarryD » Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:03 pm

Harvester wrote:He didn't join the group till 2014. "Legacy" was released in 2015 and "Gravity" comes out next month.

Thus, your old ass can use youtube or spotify like the rest of it.

And yes, suck it.

G.

***Aaaah, music to my ears. :wink:

Guillaume

Postby Guillaume » Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:32 pm

Praying Mantis rules! And yes, John Jaycee Cuijpers is a killer singer.

LarryD
Site Admin

Postby LarryD » Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:26 pm

I checked out Legacy on You tube as Glenn pointed out - and it's not what I was looking for ........while he is a great singer, he is quite different in PM ..... much more high pitched and polished .... I was hoping for a more Russ Allen type style he was doing with Ayreon - but that is a testament as to how great a singer he really is .......

Nos

Postby Nos » Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:12 pm

I've heard the new Praying Mantis album already, and since it's germane to the conversation, I'll say it was severely underwhelming to me. I'll give you that he's a pretty good singer, but the band is sounding pretty weak right now. They can't give him the showcase he needs.

Guillaume

Postby Guillaume » Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:19 am

Nos wrote:I've heard the new Praying Mantis album already, and since it's germane to the conversation, I'll say it was severely underwhelming to me. I'll give you that he's a pretty good singer, but the band is sounding pretty weak right now. They can't give him the showcase he needs.

Did you like the previous 2 PM albums?

Nos

Postby Nos » Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:20 pm

Guillaume wrote:
Nos wrote:I've heard the new Praying Mantis album already, and since it's germane to the conversation, I'll say it was severely underwhelming to me. I'll give you that he's a pretty good singer, but the band is sounding pretty weak right now. They can't give him the showcase he needs.

Did you like the previous 2 PM albums?

Honestly, I can't recall if I ever heard them. If they were like this one, they would have been imminently forgettable.

Random Axe

Postby Random Axe » Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:03 pm

Legacy is amazingly decent. He isn't used to his potential on that or the new release. I'm in the Tony O'Hora camp of Praying Mantis. Those two albums are melodic rock/metal gems. Kinda like Royal Hunt without the bombast.

LarryD
Site Admin

Postby LarryD » Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:22 am

Such a shame to read some of this ...... his performance on the Ayreon show was absolutely stunning........ I'm not sure why they didn't get Russ Allen back for the show, but this guy is more than a worthy replacement for him, and I was mesmerized just watching him .......great, great singer.......

Guillaume

Postby Guillaume » Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:27 pm

Random Axe wrote:Legacy is amazingly decent. He isn't used to his potential on that or the new release. I'm in the Tony O'Hora camp of Praying Mantis. Those two albums are melodic rock/metal gems. Kinda like Royal Hunt without the bombast.

I really like the O'Hora albums too. But they were on the light side. I really enjoyed having some of the heaviness back for 2009's Sanctuary. I really enjoyed Legacy too. Can't wait for the new album.

Return to “PM: Core”