Yes - this board is now 14 years old .......

The Heart of the Prog/Power Movement

Moderators: TROY or maybe DEBBIE, Stevie WOnder, Digital Man

LarryD
Site Admin

Yes - this board is now 14 years old .......

Postby LarryD » Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:57 pm

Every year I like to bring out the fact that this board is officially one year older than the last .... bringing it to 14 years old. Sorry I didn't bring it up earlier, but my broken ankle has just been too distracting for me to think about anything else.........

Now, as we all know -- the Perpetual Motion Board itself is well over 20 years old now ..... this particular incarnation is 14 years old minus the break between boards.....you all know what that was about ......

I want to thank everyone who has been here no matter what the time frame .... whether you post or just read ....... as I look at the post hits lately, I can only smile and think that what we do here and what we have done here is all the worth .......... this particular musical year has been a great one, and it just keeps on getting better and better.......

There are too many people to thank here -- the list would go on forever........ but behind the scenes, I'd like to personally thank Glenn and Ken for keeping this music alive and fresh..... if it wasn't for them, I think I'd surely give this stuff up and just go on listening and watching someone else do this .........their love for the music, and making sure I know about the newest music has kept me going all these years .......big thumbs up to those guys. I appreciate it to no end ........

As long as the hits on the posts keep coming -- I'll keep this board alive ...... thanks to everyone for making this one of the best places going for the music we love.....
And thanks to Dietrick for creating this place ..... it was his vision that really started it all ........

GaetanL

Re: Yes - this board is now 14 years old .......

Postby GaetanL » Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:32 pm

This board is my home page for about 20 years. Thanks to everyone!
Gaétan
Musique Progressive Dynamique
Site consacré au métal progressif, au néo-prog et au hard rock
http://www.musiqueprog.net

ToddS
Site Admin

Postby ToddS » Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:39 pm

Awesome! So glad that this community is still going!

Thank you Larry for all you have done, and do put into this forum. Thanks to all of you that make it the music family it is here.
"My songs become my freedom, and my freedom turns to gold"

introclaus

Postby introclaus » Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:19 am

Congrats!!!
And thank you Larry for keeping this place alive, on-topic and troll-free!
Claus Jensen

Mardoch

Postby Mardoch » Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:59 pm

They even let me in after I got rather drunk on their booze and blathered for way too long! Clearly they have questionable judgement in people, but I think it's offset by the generally excellent taste in music.

AllMediaReviews

Postby AllMediaReviews » Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:28 am

I can't claim to have even read/lurked for nearly that long, but I used to on the ProgPowerUSA UM board.

I likely will be checking this place out now more, although admittedly, my taste in Prog Metal really has changed or dwindled for well over a decade.

I'm kind of in no-man's land, for whatever reason per there doesn't exactly seem to be an organized community for my biggest passion;
progressive college rock (or to some, "new prog," "indie prog," "alt prog," etc, etc).

So I'm kind of left to try to connect with different related groups of people into artists and fans into progressive rock/metal.

I do find with progressive metal, there are bands out there who are making new music that is both metal and progressive, but don't really sound like so many of the recipe-Prog Metal of the past (Dream Theater worship). Namely with the artists experimenting with vocal styles and incorporating non-traditional sounds (samples, chamber instruments, among others).

I'm not sure though even how much discussion goes on about many of those kinds of Metal bands around here.

LarryD
Site Admin

Postby LarryD » Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:17 am

I'm kind of in no-man's land, for whatever reason per there doesn't exactly seem to be an organized community for my biggest passion;
progressive college rock (or to some, "new prog," "indie prog," "alt prog," etc, etc).

So I'm kind of left to try to connect with different related groups of people into artists and fans into progressive rock/metal.

I do find with progressive metal, there are bands out there who are making new music that is both metal and progressive, but don't really sound like so many of the recipe-Prog Metal of the past (Dream Theater worship). Namely with the artists experimenting with vocal styles and incorporating non-traditional sounds (samples, chamber instruments, among others).

***Throw out some the names of bands you listen to, or that fall into this category of "prog college rock" .....admittedly, I am a dinosaur and stay true to the original formula or progressive metal (Dream Theater, etc) ......but there are lots of people here who are into a newer, more modern sounding prog metal ........throw some names out there in a different post, and see what happens .......you might be surprised.

introclaus

Postby introclaus » Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:18 am

AllMediaReviews wrote:I can't claim to have even read/lurked for nearly that long, but I used to on the ProgPowerUSA UM board.

I likely will be checking this place out now more, although admittedly, my taste in Prog Metal really has changed or dwindled for well over a decade.

I'm not sure though even how much discussion goes on about many of those kinds of Metal bands around here.

I think there’s a lot of overlap between prog Metal and “indie prog” (if you’re talking about stuff like Fair to Midland, Coheed, Dredg, Mew, Rishloo, Dear Hunter etc) and I would love to see some cool discussions here about those kind of bands and get some recommendations on bands I don’t know... so please go ahead :)
Claus Jensen

elendil

Postby elendil » Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:41 pm

I like some of that stuff too, particularly Thank You Scientist. EX EYE might be a metal version of that style, with a strong avant-garde edge. Hell, last year's Leprous and Soen had commonalities with "new prog."

ToddS
Site Admin

Postby ToddS » Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:06 pm

elendil wrote:I like some of that stuff too, particularly Thank You Scientist. EX EYE might be a metal version of that style, with a strong avant-garde edge. Hell, last year's Leprous and Soen had commonalities with "new prog."

I saw Thank You Scientist live for the 3rd time last week. Love that band. So tight live and talk about an incredible guitarist. Tom is unique and amazing!
"My songs become my freedom, and my freedom turns to gold"

elendil

Postby elendil » Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:40 pm

I didn't realize they were on tour! I'll have to look into that. I'm a sucker for good brass and sax in prog.

Edit: Looks as if they have only one live date scheduled (in Philadelphia), so not really a tour.

AllMediaReviews

Postby AllMediaReviews » Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:57 pm

yeah I just saw Thank You Scientist last month with Protest the Hero and Closure in Moscow. Great musicians, but I'm not sure if I ever will fully get into the highly similar Claudio Sanchez-vocals.

@introclaus, yeah those are some of the more popular names. I get the sense with prog/prog metal fans, they enjoy Steven Wilson/Porcupine Tree and some have also gotten into Anathema, but many others, they seem to find the progressive college rock stuff to lack the technicality or include too many other influences that sound more like Nirvana, U2, etc.

@LarryD prog metal names? Burst, East of the Wall, Sculptured, In Vain, SikTh, Vektor, Subterranean Masquerade, Journal, Persefone, Textures, uneXpect, Martyr, maudlin of the Well, Orphaned Land, Disillusion, The Faceless

elendil

Postby elendil » Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:39 pm

Vektor's definitely one of my favorite metal bands of the last decade or so. Facemelting tech thrash is not normally my go-to play, but they just do it incredibly well.

LarryD
Site Admin

Postby LarryD » Thu Apr 26, 2018 5:55 pm

@LarryD prog metal names? Burst, East of the Wall, Sculptured, In Vain, SikTh, Vektor, Subterranean Masquerade, Journal, Persefone, Textures, uneXpect, Martyr, maudlin of the Well, Orphaned Land, Disillusion, The Faceless....

***Most of those bands are talked about around here -- there are 2 on the list I haven't heard of ......... Orphaned Land probably being the most talked about around here - they are big in these parts....... :wink:

I'm not into those styles personally, but there are plenty of people around here who are ........ so I think you've come to the right place.

Mardoch

Postby Mardoch » Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:34 pm

AllMediaReviews wrote:@LarryD prog metal names? Burst, East of the Wall, Sculptured, In Vain, SikTh, Vektor, Subterranean Masquerade, Journal, Persefone, Textures, uneXpect, Martyr, maudlin of the Well, Orphaned Land, Disillusion, The Faceless

I will forever be disappointed that Textures broke up before releasing Genotype.

LarryD
Site Admin

Postby LarryD » Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:45 pm

Well - Happy Birthday to us !!!! I changed this to a standard post so it's going to disappear soon ........ See you again next year !!!!! :)

BC

Postby BC » Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:08 pm

Glad I remembered to post before the thread disappears into the fiery brine below.

This board has been the center of my musical universe in one form or anaother since I got into prog. I can’t say what music I would be into today without PerpMoand all of you, but I doubt it would be as intelligent or interesting.

Now if we could just get some of our wayward sons and daughters to come home.
Is a song titled "Everybody Dies" supposed to sound so happy?
Doom, gloom, the World goes boom! None will be spared, so don't assume. Not ragged clothed nor silver spooned. You're all the same when extinction looms!

Chris R

Postby Chris R » Sat Apr 28, 2018 8:18 pm

Thankful I rediscovered this place...spending more time here the past few years(great music discussion and without the bad signal to noise ratio that other place has become)
Tarja is a female woman

Return to “PM: Core”