Little haul in from The Lasers Edge .......

The Heart of the Prog/Power Movement

Moderators: TROY or maybe DEBBIE, Stevie WOnder, Digital Man

LarryD
Site Admin

Little haul in from The Lasers Edge .......

Postby LarryD » Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:32 am

I couldn't resist grabbing these from TLE after seeing them there on the web site .......

SHARON DEN ADEL / My Indigo -
Sharon branches off from Within Temptation and puts out a solo disc filled with folk, pop, electronica background and general story telling type disc......see my other post on the disc for further.......

KAMELOT / The Shadow Theory -
I don't mind MP3s, but this dinosaur still needs the CD, the awesome artwork this band always puts out, and I need to play something direct into my main system.....MP3s don't cut it in that sense.......see other separate post on this disc for further.....

HEKZ / Invicta -
Whoever posted that this disc was coming out soon, thank you. And thanks to Ken for putting this in my hand before I could finish placing the damn order !!!!!!
I am a huge fan of their last disc, Caerus. I could not wait to get this one in my hands, and so far I'm 4 songs deep and I am totally involved. Right out front, as on Caerus, the production is fantastic. Sounds like a better version of a Threshold disc in the audio dept. So far this kicking my ass completely...... as I've said before, this band is like a proggier version of Threshold. Hands down. This one was mixed and mastered by John Mitchell in the UK - I'm assuming this is the ARena John Mitchell ?
If you did not like the wild vocal style of Matt Young on the last disc, you won't like him here either as he is hitting many more high notes than before, and that won't sit well with some ...... if you didn't like his voice at all, then just stay clear of this one ....... As I'm writing this, I just switched to the 15:00 track after hearing about 5 songs, and I am now in love with this disc as I was with Caerus. This absolutely rules, this is how I love my prog metal - melodic, huge, epic, ala Threshold with a Broadway style singer that I know goes up some asses......but I love that combination. These guys are so talented, I wish they had more recognition ........

Hearing Aid Man

Re: Little haul in from The Lasers Edge .......

Postby Hearing Aid Man » Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:55 pm

HEKZ / Invicta -

I bit and ordered this one after hearing the album teaser on youtube. The vocalist sounded much improved to me in the fact that every snipet seemed to have awesome melody lines (some were iffy on the previous cd). I thought Caesar was one of those CD's that was almost there for me. A band which would get it totally right on their next cd. I hoping this is the case when it shows up soon.

LarryD
Site Admin

Postby LarryD » Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:40 pm

I bit and ordered this one after hearing the album teaser on youtube. The vocalist sounded much improved to me in the fact that every snipet seemed to have awesome melody lines (some were iffy on the previous cd). I thought Caesar was one of those CD's that was almost there for me. A band which would get it totally right on their next cd. I hoping this is the case when it shows up soon.

***Way go to Paul !!!!!! Very interesting ........ I've only passed thru Invicta once, and it slayed me ....... but while I'm listening, I'm saying to myself that they cut down the progginess in favor of the melodies, which seems to be the case here.......however, it's still proggy, the singer is hitting more highs, and the production is to die for.....I think if anyone would like this, it would be you ........

ToddS
Site Admin

Postby ToddS » Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:29 pm

I wasn't a big fan of their previous, but I just listened to the new samples, and agree the vocalist sounds improved.
"My songs become my freedom, and my freedom turns to gold"

venidominefan

Postby venidominefan » Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:24 pm

I’m really enjoying the Hekz too! Some of the music is a bit more straightforward at times and they seemed to make a conscious effort to focus on the melodies.

The second track and some parts of the album seem more commercial in a way, but at the same time the complexity and performances are turned up a notch overall.

Agree on the excellent mix and production.

I also got their last album Tabula Rasa which was released before Caerus. They just released it digitally through Bandcamp, iTunes, Amazon, etc.

Check that out Larry if you haven’t already. It’s a bit more straightforward musically but still worth a listen.

Good stuff and I too hope they get more recognition.
This is your brain on guitar... :lol:
Bandcamp >
CDBaby >
Soundcloud >

LarryD
Site Admin

Postby LarryD » Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:43 pm

venidominefan wrote:I’m really enjoying the Hekz too! Some of the music is a bit more straightforward at times and they seemed to make a conscious effort to focus on the melodies.

The second track and some parts of the album seem more commercial in a way, but at the same time the complexity and performances are turned up a notch overall.

Agree on the excellent mix and production.

I also got their last album Tabula Rasa which was released before Caerus. They just released it digitally through Bandcamp, iTunes, Amazon, etc.

Check that out Larry if you haven’t already. It’s a bit more straightforward musically but still worth a listen.

Good stuff and I too hope they get more recognition.

*** I've got Tabula Rasa -- but it doesn't get much play compared to Caerus and Invicta...... that disc sounds a little Maiden-esque to my ears and was nothing like what was to come in Caerus and Invicta........

LarryD
Site Admin

Postby LarryD » Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:47 pm

I'm batting 2.5 / 3 with this package ....... the .5 is due to Sharon's disc not being something I will come back to all the time ..... completely a mood thing. But when I want to hear her just sing without WT in the background, I can come back to this disc ........

The other two are doing well for me ......the Invicta is completely blowing me away, and the Kamelot keeps getting better and better for me with each listen ....... it's a good musical time right now .......

Return to “PM: Core”