Sharon den Adel - My Indigo. Her solo disc......

The Heart of the Prog/Power Movement

Moderators: TROY or maybe DEBBIE, Stevie WOnder, Digital Man

LarryD
Site Admin

Sharon den Adel - My Indigo. Her solo disc......

Postby LarryD » Sat Apr 21, 2018 2:06 pm

Sharon den Adel just released her solo disc called "My Indigo" - my copy is on the way, but you can hear the whole thing on you tube --- here are a couple of songs for you...... this pretty much tells the story of the whole disc.......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dhPBJY0Oa0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRUmDmX0lmw

Chances are that most here won't dig this at all - it's really Sharon going outside of the box and writing some folky, New Agey, mellow electronica music......it's lyrically driven as you can see by the You tube videos, but this is a real test of the statement - " (so and so singer can sing me the phone book and I'd buy it)" ....... not to be a hypocrite, I bought it because Sharon can sing me the phone book and I'd be happy .......

I'm not sure how much staying power this will have in the end -- but I love solo female artists who just put some minimal music behind them and just sing what's in their hearts.....(thanks Ken, you created a monster here). This one falls into that category. Think of the Damian Wilson / Adam Wakeman discs - just a voice and a few instruments in the background ..... it's a story telling journey, something you put on in the background or when you light a candle, grab a glass of wine, and just ponder life....... at any rate, the wife will love this as well as she is a Sharon fan to the max........so I win.

introclaus

Re: Sharon den Adel - My Indigo. Her solo disc......

Postby introclaus » Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:45 am

Count me in the “she can sing the phone book and I’ll be happy” camp. I bought it blindly on iTunes and I’m really digging it.

That said, it’s not too far removed from a lot of other music I listen to, so perhaps I’m not necessarily the prime example of a metal-only-fan-expanding-his/her-horizons. I

Anyway, this is good stuff and Sharon definitely can sing! Interesting how over the years several of the goth/doom metal singers have gone complete pop on their solo albums (Kari Rueslatten, Liv Kristine and now Sharon).
Claus Jensen

LarryD
Site Admin

Postby LarryD » Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:05 am

introclaus wrote:Count me in the “she can sing the phone book and I’ll be happy” camp. I bought it blindly on iTunes and I’m really digging it.

That said, it’s not too far removed from a lot of other music I listen to, so perhaps I’m not necessarily the prime example of a metal-only-fan-expanding-his/her-horizons. I

Anyway, this is good stuff and Sharon definitely can sing! Interesting how over the years several of the goth/doom metal singers have gone complete pop on their solo albums (Kari Rueslatten, Liv Kristine and now Sharon).

*** I figured you would be the last person to dig this one -- but I'm happy to read that you do. Yes, I've noticed that pop trend you speak of, and I often wonder why that is..... maybe a chance to get away from the normally heavy music they play and branch out a bit into their roots ? Lots of these Gothic bands also do the same thing - I'm assuming this is for a chance at recognition instead of staying underground ? I love story telling discs like this (again I speak to Damian / Wakeman) discs with mostly all vocals from the great Dam himself...... It does seem that Sharon's voice can fit into whatever style she pleases......

introclaus

Postby introclaus » Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:32 am

LarryD wrote:
introclaus wrote:Count me in the “she can sing the phone book and I’ll be happy” camp. I bought it blindly on iTunes and I’m really digging it.

*** I figured you would be the last person to dig this one -- but I'm happy to read that you do. Yes, I've noticed that pop trend you speak of, and I often wonder why that is..... maybe a chance to get away from the normally heavy music they play and branch out a bit into their roots ? Lots of these Gothic bands also do the same thing - I'm assuming this is for a chance at recognition instead of staying underground ? I love story telling discs like this (again I speak to Damian / Wakeman) discs with mostly all vocals from the great Dam himself...... It does seem that Sharon's voice can fit into whatever style she pleases......

Why would you think I’d be the last person to like this? :) Actually, I’m a big fan of pop music (lately I’ve been on a Tove Lo kick), and when it comes to strong female voices my #1 is Tori Amos (I probably have 80-90 Tori CDs - okay, just counted 88!). I listen to a lot of different music, not just metal.
Claus Jensen

Chris R

Postby Chris R » Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:42 am

Female vox over.mellow new age electronic music ?
I'm already very interested even before clicking these links (as yall know just add a prog thrash feel and it's what I do to the above)

Those links are incredible...
Yep...Will be getting this
Tarja is a female woman

LarryD
Site Admin

Postby LarryD » Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:44 am

Chris R wrote:Female vox over.mellow new age electronic music ?
I'm already very interested even before clicking these links (as yall know just add a prog thrash feel and it's what I do to the above)

Those links are incredible...
Yep...Will be getting this

***Chris, I think the whole disc is there on You Tube ..... if you like those links I sent, you will like the whole disc as well .........

ToddS
Site Admin

Postby ToddS » Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:44 pm

She has such an amazing voice. I could listen to this when in the right mood.
"My songs become my freedom, and my freedom turns to gold"

Harvester

Postby Harvester » Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:11 am

This is total Florence and the Machine worship. I like it, but I'd spin Florence over this in a heartbeat when I'm in the mood.

introclaus

Postby introclaus » Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:37 pm

Harvester wrote:This is total Florence and the Machine worship. I like it, but I'd spin Florence over this in a heartbeat when I'm in the mood.

I don't agree at all - I don't hear any FatM in this. Florence is much more inspired by soul and gospel (interestingly enough for a british band), whereas My Indigo is laid back pop music.
Claus Jensen

Harvester

Postby Harvester » Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:31 pm

To each their own and you can knit-pick shit to death, but I immediately thought of What the Water Gave Me when I heard My Indigo. I'm not talking carbon copy, but the vibe is very similar to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1RxflH6BR8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=am6rArVPip8

Return to “PM: Core”