New Seventh Wonder tune

The Heart of the Prog/Power Movement

Moderators: TROY or maybe DEBBIE, Stevie WOnder, Digital Man

Sparky

Re: New Seventh Wonder tune

Postby Sparky » Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:03 pm

I'm gonna back-burner this for a while, I think. There's so much new stuff out there, I just can't get all that excited for this.

It doesn't help that the bass is buried in the mix - at least on Spotify. Bass is always a big draw for me, and that goes double for SW...

zedowns

Postby zedowns » Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:29 pm

I can't imagine any Seventh Wonder fan will be disappointed with this. They're not reinventing the wheel here, its unapologetically Seventh Wonder right down to the cheesy as hell lyrics.

introclaus

Postby introclaus » Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:17 pm

zedowns wrote:I can't imagine any Seventh Wonder fan will be disappointed with this. They're not reinventing the wheel here, its unapologetically Seventh Wonder right down to the cheesy as hell lyrics.

Well ..............

I’m a huge SW fan (duh!) and I’m slightly disappointed. I’ve listened to it all day now and I’m getting more and more familiar with the songs and I’m liking it more with each listen. That said, there’s almost (besides in “The Truth”) no audible bass here, which used to be SW’s #1 identifier - in general the production is mediocre at best (for a band spending 8 years on a disc I would have expected nothing but a superbly sounding album). And, probably the biggest complaint; all of the songs sounds like something we’ve heard from them before - I mean, come on guys, at least TRY to surprise us!

Okay, all said and done, it’s quality melodic prog Metal, and the band is obviously amazing at what they do; I just want “more” than this after waiting (im)patiently for 8 years.
Claus Jensen

zedowns

Postby zedowns » Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:41 pm

introclaus wrote:
zedowns wrote:I can't imagine any Seventh Wonder fan will be disappointed with this. They're not reinventing the wheel here, its unapologetically Seventh Wonder right down to the cheesy as hell lyrics.

Well ..............

I’m a huge SW fan (duh!) and I’m slightly disappointed. I’ve listened to it all day now and I’m getting more and more familiar with the songs and I’m liking it more with each listen. That said, there’s almost (besides in “The Truth”) no audible bass here, which used to be SW’s #1 identifier - in general the production is mediocre at best (for a band spending 8 years on a disc I would have expected nothing but a superbly sounding album). And, probably the biggest complaint; all of the songs sounds like something we’ve heard from them before - I mean, come on guys, at least TRY to surprise us!

Okay, all said and done, it’s quality melodic prog Metal, and the band is obviously amazing at what they do; I just want “more” than this after waiting (im)patiently for 8 years.

Yeah, the lack of really memorable bass here is my biggest (only?) issue with the album. I'm personally fine with this being nothing new since this style is rarely done these days, and when it is it's rarely THIS good.

introclaus

Postby introclaus » Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:44 am

zedowns wrote:....its unapologetically Seventh Wonder right down to the cheesy as hell lyrics.

Oh boy ... those lyrics have really started becoming annoying. Typically I don’t really care about lyrics unless they are super well done (think Martin Walkyier or Buddy Lackey) or really horrible (German power metal bands of the 80’s - I’m looking at you) ... well, these definitely fall in the last category. It’s embarrassing that a prog metal band in 2018 believes it’s okay to write stuff like this. I understand it’s a concept album but you don’t have to spell out everything - really! It’s upsetting my stomach, that’s what it is.

But hey, music is great. 100% Seventh Wonder - no surprises (except the subpar production).
Claus Jensen

Norén

Postby Norén » Sun Oct 14, 2018 1:33 pm

Survived 3 songs before I had to turn it off. I don't know what it is but I just can't stand this band. It just doesn't speak to my heart.
CD ARTWORK -> www.progart.com

LarryD
Site Admin

Postby LarryD » Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:10 pm

So I've been playing this about twice a day now ...... I definitely like the back half of the disc better than the front, although the opening song is awesome....... I want to just say - screw it, it's Seventh Wonder, it's awesome...... I think after all of these years of each of us going through more prog, and more bands, and more music than the average person can imagine, we get a little jaded. We want it our way - and we expect certain things from certain bands....... I haven't focused on the lyrics yet as I don't have the booklet yet, but outright, Tommy sounds awesome. Unleashed, this guy is a total monster - as are all the players in this band. While I always hone in the production - and I'm not even playing this on my main system (as it's been sold and gone), but even on a secondary system - I notice the lack of bass....... and when you have one of the best bass players on the planet - how could that happen ? I don't have the booklet yet, and I'm too lazy at the moment to look it up, but who mixed this ?
Just curious.......

introclaus

Postby introclaus » Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:00 pm

LarryD wrote:I don't have the booklet yet, and I'm too lazy at the moment to look it up, but who mixed this ?
Just curious.......

No idea - apparently Frontiers doesn’t think it’s necessary for those of us who keep buying their releases on iTunes to get a digital booklet. Ridiculous!!!!
Claus Jensen

Mark

Postby Mark » Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:41 pm

IMO this is just as good as their other good albums. Also, the second half is better as noted above.

Man Of Much Metal

Postby Man Of Much Metal » Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:00 pm

So far, I'm on the fence with this. I like some of the songs, others through just seem to spoil the flow. The production isn't great either, so I'm seriously torn. Review to follow as soon as possible now that I've bought a copy - I've had to wait because I can't be dealing with stream only promos!
Matt
The Man of Much Metal
The Blog Of Much Metal: https://manofmuchmetal.com/

Nos

Postby Nos » Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:25 pm

Man Of Much Metal wrote:I've had to wait because I can't be dealing with stream only promos!

I can't say I've ever had much of a problem with them. Sure, I prefer having a choice of how to listen, but it's not the end of the world. There's usually ways of getting around most anything.

Mardoch

Postby Mardoch » Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:54 am

This mix on this album is pure bullshit. The lack of bass is immediately noticeable. It sounds so damned flat. Where's my fat bottomed Seventh Wonder, damnit?

Mardoch

Postby Mardoch » Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:25 am

I'm going to be the contrarian here. This album is a chore. This is just capital p Progressive Metal that resembles itself from 8 years ago near perfectly. Nothing's changed (except the bass disappeared), nothing new on offer except new cheesy lyrics. It's...comfort food metal just like the new Kamelot is.

If you want new stuff that's the same as the old stuff, then this is the Progressive Metal for you. Personally, I want more experimentation and adventure. I'm not sure I'll bother listening to it again.

EDIT: There's one exception to this...Damnation Below is a good and interesting song.

prog_powermetal99

Postby prog_powermetal99 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:13 pm

Mardoch wrote:I'm going to be the contrarian here. This album is a chore. This is just capital p Progressive Metal that resembles itself from 8 years ago near perfectly. Nothing's changed (except the bass disappeared), nothing new on offer except new cheesy lyrics. It's...comfort food metal just like the new Kamelot is.

If you want new stuff that's the same as the old stuff, then this is the Progressive Metal for you. Personally, I want more experimentation and adventure. I'm not sure I'll bother listening to it again.

EDIT: There's one exception to this...Damnation Below is a good and interesting song.

This is how I feel. I enjoyed about 2 or 3 songs, and the lack of hearing any Bass is ruining it for me....The guys are still obviously incredibly talented, but this just falls flat for some reason and I really expected more after such a long hiatus. I think that's why you aren't getting lots of comments on this much anticipated CD here or over on the progpowerusa forum.... I think people are afraid to comment, because they don't want to say anything negative......

Mardoch

Postby Mardoch » Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:24 pm

I don't mind being the purveyor of exquisite hot takes, so I don't have that problem :D

I will, however, generally not be a bastard if I'm pretty sure the band might read it.

introclaus

Postby introclaus » Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:08 pm

Mardoch wrote:I don't mind being the purveyor of exquisite hot takes, so I don't have that problem :D

I will, however, generally not be a bastard if I'm pretty sure the band might read it.

LOL :)

There's a good chance the band will read it, as they do frequent this forum from time to time.

That said, the album is high quality prog metal, but you're absolutely right that there's nothing new here, and that's the thing that YOU (the listener - not just you Mardoch) will have to decide if you care about or not. Do you need something original every time you pick up a new release from any band, or are you satisfied with status quo?

After several listens over the past 5 days I've come to the conclusion that the biggest issue is the production, then the fact that their label is shortening us who spend our money on the product (no digital booklet is RIDICULOUS in this day and age, where it won't cost them anything to include it with the download ... they already paid for the booklet design), and then as a minor issue the fact that this is quite unoriginal ... but yeah, that last thing I can actually (to my own surprise) see past, as the music is of so high quality it doesn't really matter that much to me. I'm enjoying the music, and it's still way better than the first SW album :)
Claus Jensen

Nos

Postby Nos » Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:10 pm

introclaus wrote: the fact that their label is shortening us who spend our money on the product (no digital booklet is RIDICULOUS in this day and age, where it won't cost them anything to include it with the download ... they already paid for the booklet design)

That's not the only issue with booklets/liner notes. I regularly get frustrated that there is usually no way to know what is included in them before buying an album. There's not much more aggravating than getting a new release, opening the package, and finding they didn't bother to include the lyrics. I don't understand why, if they're trying to get people to actually buy a physical copy, they wouldn't give us something more than mp3s on a better looking CD/album cover than I can make with my own computer and printer.

sez

Postby sez » Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:36 pm

From the booklet:

Produced by Blomqvist/Karevik
Story and lyrics by Blomqvist/Karevik
All music and arrangements by Seventh Wonder
Additional vocals by Jenny Karevik, Stefan Norgren, Johan Larsson and Kobra Paige.
Violin by Arto Jarvela
Additional voices by Michele Coombe and Jenna Blomqvist
Recorded all over Stockholm, 2016-2017
Mixed by Oyvind Voldmo Larsen, Lionheart Studio
Mastered by Jens Bogren, Fascination Street Studios
Artwork by Johan Larsson (www.johanart.se)

For my part, I think it's stunning. Yes, it's a familiar sound, a sound we purportedly all like. There are new sounds, but they're more like a light sprinkling than any kind of major new direction: choirs where we haven't heard them before, some electronic voices, violins. The story is interesting, but it doesn't have the emotional impact of Mercy Falls, because certain things don't make sense or aren't spelled out (spoilers: What about Tiara makes her a good representative? How did she fail? What made the Everones change their minds?).

I've only heard it twice at this point, but so far for me, the music is superb; it's the lyrics/concept that maybe needed a bit more work.

Mardoch

Postby Mardoch » Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:46 pm

introclaus wrote:
Mardoch wrote:I don't mind being the purveyor of exquisite hot takes, so I don't have that problem :D

LOL :)

There's a good chance the band will read it, as they do frequent this forum from time to time.

That said, the album is high quality prog metal, but you're absolutely right that there's nothing new here, and that's the thing that YOU (the listener - not just you Mardoch) will have to decide if you care about or not. Do you need something original every time you pick up a new release from any band, or are you satisfied with status quo?

I didn't know they popped in, so hopefully they don't take offense to my reception. I tried to make clear the distinction between "not good" and "not what I wanted" clear. The only thing that is absolutely bad here is the mix/production.

Man Of Much Metal

Postby Man Of Much Metal » Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:39 pm

Hey everyone, another day, another review!!

https://manofmuchmetal.com/2018/10/17/s ... um-review/

Cheers,
Matt
Matt
The Man of Much Metal
The Blog Of Much Metal: https://manofmuchmetal.com/

Chris R

Postby Chris R » Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:25 pm

Played this a few times while in my room editing.
1.yeah,bass is MIA,..
2.i loved the first track they released,the rest of the album to me doesnt live up to what I was hoping with the first song unfortunately
Tarja is a female woman

Sir Exar Kun

Postby Sir Exar Kun » Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:36 am

Not getting all the negative feedback on this one...... I have a major league sinus infection right now, and both ears are pretty badly plugged up, but I can still hear the bass on here. Granted, it is not near the front of the mix like it typically is on an SW album, but nor is it so invisible as to be absent. In the past, the bass lines have been almost more of a lead than a rhythm, but on this disc it seems like he's staying more in a purely rhythm capacity than in the past..... Excepting for a few of the solos, where he duels a bit with the guitar lead.

Music wise, this sounds just like what I want to hear from Seventh Wonder. Songs were almost all immediately catchy and memorable, and Tommy sounds like TOMMY, not Khan Jr. Does it have a sense of familiarity, even at first listen? Sure, but not in a repeating itself (think Kamelot) sort of way..... More just in the sense that this checks almost all the boxes for what I hope to hear from Seventh Wonder.

Looking forward to spinning this more when I can actually hear properly.
Capitalism: God's way of separating the smart from the poor. -Ron Swanson

Harvester

Postby Harvester » Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:28 am

I'm with SEK. It's not Kingcrow production perfection, but it's not St. Anger Part 2 either. I enjoy it for what it is as opposed to what it is not. If there was a prolific amount of this type of music being made currently, perhaps I'd be more Clausian with my listens.

LarryD
Site Admin

Postby LarryD » Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:08 pm

Yes it''s tough to dismiss something as good as SW because of production issues....... and listening for what it is, is certainly the right way to go ......... and it's also true, who the hell makes music like this anymore, and is this good at it ? So I think it's the glass half full concept instead of the other way around.

I love most of the disc - especially the back half - which seems to get better as it goes on - as people have said, in the car, on the headphones, the bass is heard ......on a main system, it does collapse I'm afraid, and I just can't help feeling bad for one of the best bass players in the world ........

I will say this - no lack of bass on any SX disc stopped anyone from loving it - so why should this one be any different ? :wink:

Sir Exar Kun

Postby Sir Exar Kun » Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:07 pm

I just can't help feeling bad for one of the best bass players in the world ........

I wouldn't feel too bad. I think he helped mix it! :)

Sparky

Postby Sparky » Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:25 pm

LarryD wrote: I will say this - no lack of bass on any SX disc stopped anyone from loving it - so why should this one be any different ? :wink:

AND why the hell is the bass production on Romeo's solo disc so fat?!? Either he just learned how, or the SX mixes are on purpose, which makes no sense, either.

sez

Postby sez » Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:57 pm

Sir Exar Kun wrote:
I just can't help feeling bad for one of the best bass players in the world ........

I wouldn't feel too bad. I think he helped mix it! :)

He was involved in the production, but not mixing. See my post above where I manually typed stuff from the booklet for all you people who don't have it. ;-)

Maybe he's just a really humble guy and doesn't want to make himself stand out?

The more I listen to this, the more I love it. SW is back!

prog_powermetal99

Postby prog_powermetal99 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:30 pm

Didn't the song "Inner Enemy" suppose to be on this album? Man, I love that song and I always thought it was an album teaser for the next one.... I hope they just don't scrap it......

Sir Exar Kun

Postby Sir Exar Kun » Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:57 am

Didn't the song "Inner Enemy" suppose to be on this album? Man, I love that song and I always thought it was an album teaser for the next one.... I hope they just don't scrap it......

That's a bonus track on the "Live in Atlanta" set. Only available there.

Mark

Postby Mark » Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:31 am

The more I listen to this album the more I love it. I listened to it again specifically paying attention to the bass guitar and I was able to hear it throughout. Maybe because I "primed" myself to notice it after all the bass talk in this thread. But I am totally happy with every aspect of this album - the material, the sound & mix, everything.

Random Axe

Postby Random Axe » Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:15 pm

Well, shit.

I just got this in the mail today and I haven't heard a note yet. Now I'm hesitant. I also received the Romeo solo disc and some cool AOR with Groundbreaker. I've had a crap year music wise and I'm not anxious to add to my disappointment.

I'm sure I'll peel the shrinkwrap and spin this weekend...

prog_powermetal99

Postby prog_powermetal99 » Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:05 am

Random Axe wrote:Well, shit.

I just got this in the mail today and I haven't heard a note yet. Now I'm hesitant. I also received the Romeo solo disc and some cool AOR with Groundbreaker. I've had a crap year music wise and I'm not anxious to add to my disappointment.

Don't let the comments taint your listening experience. It's still a good CD. I think what's happening with me is that since it was about 8 years or so since their last release, you start anticipating a mind blowing Masterpiece. As an example, I was blown away when I heard "Mercy Falls" for the first time, minus the narration that is, lol........The vocals, the bass lines, the solos, the cohesive yet technical song structures, that CD had it all........ I think we also know that with Tommy in Kamelot, that it will probably be another 5 to 8 more years before we get the next CD from them as well, but with that said, it's still a pretty darn good CD after a few spins. I do like it more after a few spins than I did after the first spin,so that's a good sign......

Kez

Postby Kez » Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:22 am

Random Axe wrote:Well, shit.

I'm loving Tiara, but there are certainly production beefs I agree with. It's still Seventh Wonder, and still great.

I'd be immensely surprised if you have anything other than praise for the Michael Romeo disc. It's ruling my world right now.

LarryD
Site Admin

Postby LarryD » Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:00 pm

I'm loving Tiara, but there are certainly production beefs I agree with. It's still Seventh Wonder, and still great.

I'd be immensely surprised if you have anything other than praise for the Michael Romeo disc. It's ruling my world right now.

*** Hell YES to both of these comments !!!!!!! Romeo's disc is absolutely ruling my world - I play it twice a day !!!!! That singer is so bad ass ..........

Sparky

Postby Sparky » Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:24 pm

LarryD wrote:*** Hell YES to both of these comments !!!!!!! Romeo's disc is absolutely ruling my world - I play it twice a day !!!!! That singer is so bad ass ..........

I just can't get over how incredible Romeo's disc is. Last time I listened to it, I just focused on Macaluso - the guy has *always* been a BEAST, but here he's just :shock:

Return to “PM: Core”