Conception back with classic line-up!

The Heart of the Prog/Power Movement

Moderators: TROY or maybe DEBBIE, Stevie WOnder, Digital Man

Chris R

Re: Conception back with classic line-up!

Postby Chris R » Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:03 am

introclaus wrote:Yup, it’s the single (a short intro and two real songs). It’s also available on iTunes for those who didn’t use the pledge campaign.

Sounds great - definitely more in the “Flow” vein than “Parallel Minds”/“In Your Multitude” style. This is laid back prog, no power metal.

Then this is right up my alley
Tarja is a female woman

Chris R

Postby Chris R » Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:01 am

So...

Can a 3 song EP(with one of then being a minute mong intro) be considered CD of the year?
Or does it roll over to 2019 where it's already CD of the year

Asking for a friend

Holy fuck
Definitely Flow with a little Multitude feel ...
Tarja is a female woman

Sir Exar Kun

Postby Sir Exar Kun » Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:37 am

I'm a little lukewarm on the "Grand Again" track (I HATE vocal effects, even moreso when singers with such a clean, distinct voice choose to use them), but "Feather" more than makes up for it. I was surprised it was so light, but as you get into it its a perfect Tore/Khan piece to showcase the new material. Mesmerizing.

Welcome back!!!
Capitalism: God's way of separating the smart from the poor. -Ron Swanson

T'ski

Postby T'ski » Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:12 am

Feather Moves is absolutely beautiful.

gazinwales

Postby gazinwales » Fri Nov 02, 2018 2:41 pm

Chris, the actual EP has not yet been released yet, that is going out as part of the pledge campaign.
The 3 songs released yesterday are a 'double A side single', the single and EP are two seperate entities.

introclaus

Postby introclaus » Fri Nov 02, 2018 5:52 pm

Chris R wrote:So...

Can a 3 song EP(with one of then being a minute mong intro) be considered CD of the year?
Or does it roll over to 2019 where it's already CD of the year

Asking for a friend

Holy fuck
Definitely Flow with a little Multitude feel ...

Well, the EP (which has the first two tracks from here plus an additional 4 songs) comes out in just three weeks - that should qualify ;)

I honestly don’t hear any “in your multitude” feel, but hey, if you hear it, great!
Claus Jensen

Mardoch

Postby Mardoch » Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:51 pm

It's friggin awesome. I can't wait to see what the full EP has and what the coming album will bring. Roy sounds great and Tore is as ridic as ever.

gazinwales

Postby gazinwales » Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:03 pm

If you go to the iTunes store and search for Conception, the EP title, artwork and song titles/lengths are their for 3 weeks of anticipation.

LarryD
Site Admin

Postby LarryD » Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:01 pm

I'm in regardless -- Conception. Check. Tore back. Check. Awesome sounds. Check. Feather moves, melted me. Check. My boy Roy is back. Check.

But - my mind is boggled. Roy sings in Kamelot. Roy leaves Kamelot to become a church singer. Roy sings for Conception. What happened ?????????

ToddS
Site Admin

Postby ToddS » Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:47 pm

Sounds like a logical follow up to flow. \m/
"My songs become my freedom, and my freedom turns to gold"

Mardoch

Postby Mardoch » Sun Nov 04, 2018 5:47 pm

ToddS wrote:Sounds like a logical follow up to flow. \m/

Isn't that frickin incredible!? Go away for ~20 years and come back like it's just next Tuesday.

Random Axe

Postby Random Axe » Sun Nov 04, 2018 6:43 pm

LarryD wrote:I'm in regardless -- Conception. Check. Tore back. Check. Awesome sounds. Check. Feather moves, melted me. Check. My boy Roy is back. Check.

But - my mind is boggled. Roy sings in Kamelot. Roy leaves Kamelot to become a church singer. Roy sings for Conception. What happened ?????????

Watch the video interview from Poetry of Roy. He seemed really off, just uncomfortable and distant and, well, depressed. I know the face of depression as I've seen it daily in the mirror. He left to decompress and found himself again in church. After a few years away from the scene looks like he felt he'd reached a point where his faith and his musical career could coexist.

I was slightly underwhelmed with the two songs but Im definitely in for this.

introclaus

Postby introclaus » Sun Nov 04, 2018 6:55 pm

Mardoch wrote:

Isn't that frickin incredible!? Go away for ~20 years and come back like it's just next Tuesday.

“Flow” was so far ahead of its time that coming back now with something similar (well, somewhat similar) doesn’t become a negative for Conception but instead works very well in their favor now.

It’s interesting to think how “Flow” over time has become one of the most loved prog metal albums of all times, but that when it came out originally the media and dans didn’t really know what to think of it - I remember hating it for a while until it one day opened up for me (thanks to my friend Michael who kept telling me what a wonderful song “Cardinal Sin” was and that I really needed to spend more time with this album ... oh that guy is btw a super star now with his own band VolBeat).

Those new Conception songs are just absolutely phenomenal- I’ve been spending all weekend listening to them non stop. Incredible stuff!
Claus Jensen

Mardoch

Postby Mardoch » Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:15 pm

introclaus wrote:
Mardoch wrote:

“Flow” was so far ahead of its time that coming back now with something similar (well, somewhat similar) doesn’t become a negative for Conception but instead works very well in their favor now.

It’s interesting to think how “Flow” over time has become one of the most loved prog metal albums of all times, but that when it came out originally the media and dans didn’t really know what to think of it - I remember hating it for a while until it one day opened up for me (thanks to my friend Michael who kept telling me what a wonderful song “Cardinal Sin” was and that I really needed to spend more time with this album ... oh that guy is btw a super star now with his own band VolBeat).

Those new Conception songs are just absolutely phenomenal- I’ve been spending all weekend listening to them non stop. Incredible stuff!

I was having this very same "ahead of their time" talk with a buddy around the time the Pledge campaign came out. I'd sorta stopped spinning the discs cause I was afraid we'd never get more and it'd just make me kind of morose, so when I went back to Flow again it was like "this still competes with what's out now and feels fresh, how the hell did they do that?" And 100% on Cardinal Sin, such an amazing track. Probably my favorite Conception tune.

Mardoch

Postby Mardoch » Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:20 pm

Oh, also, anyone remember that Flow ends with Would It Be The Same? Apparently the answer is yes, it is the same, and it's friggin wonderful, lol.

introclaus

Postby introclaus » Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:40 pm

Mardoch wrote:
introclaus wrote:
Mardoch wrote:Isn't that frickin incredible!? Go away for ~20 years and come back like it's just next Tuesday.

I was having this very same "ahead of their time" talk with a buddy around the time the Pledge campaign came out. I'd sorta stopped spinning the discs cause I was afraid we'd never get more and it'd just make me kind of morose, so when I went back to Flow again it was like "this still competes with what's out now and feels fresh, how the hell did they do that?" And 100% on Cardinal Sin, such an amazing track. Probably my favorite Conception tune.

Yup, I don’t know what was wrong with me for not realizing it immediately, but I guess we all were so surprised by the change in style (by far the biggest jump between their 4 albums) that we didn’t know what to think of “Flow” at first. I’m happy I stuck with it though because over the past 20 years I think I’ve played it just as much if not more than even “Parallel Minds” (which for always will stand as a very specific moment in time fo me). First time I saw them live was on the “Parallel Minds” tour (unfortunately they only played one song from the debut album), and they were amazing. It was actually the last show on the tour and boy was it a hilarious show ... them and the headliner (Skyclad) pulled some great tricks on each other, including the Conception guys walking out NAKED (sock only) on stage while Skyclad was playing hahahahaha.
Claus Jensen

introclaus

Postby introclaus » Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:41 pm

Mardoch wrote:Oh, also, anyone remember that Flow ends with Would It Be The Same? Apparently the answer is yes, it is the same, and it's friggin wonderful, lol.

Is that something, or what?

;)
Claus Jensen

Packgrog

Postby Packgrog » Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:02 am

What I do find interesting is that Roy sounds like Kamelot Roy, but energized. His voice will never sound like the old Conception days again, that's just biology. But what I found boring about post Black Halo Kamelot is that Roy sounded bored. He does not sound bored here. He sounds invested. No, he's not going to hit those high notes from Parallel Minds ever again, but as long as he sounds like he's into the music like he does here, I'm in.

And thank god we got Tore back on guitar. Few guitarists in this genre seem to have this good a mix for emotion and technique.

I'm very much looking forward to the rest. Bring it on!

RickyRock

Postby RickyRock » Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:33 am

Feather moves. This is the ballad of the year in my opinion. What a song; what a voice!!!

Return to “PM: Core”