Leprous w/ BtBaM & The Dear Hunter

The Heart of the Prog/Power Movement

Moderators: TROY or maybe DEBBIE, Stevie WOnder, Digital Man

elendil

Leprous w/ BtBaM & The Dear Hunter

Postby elendil » Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:37 pm

Going to this show in Boston tomorrow. I'm not a big fan of Between the Buried and Me and The Dear Hunter, but I'm still interested to see how they sound live. Unfortunately Leprous is the first band of three and for that reason surely won't play a long set. Even so, should be a good long night of prog!

elendil

Re: Leprous w/ BtBaM & The Dear Hunter

Postby elendil » Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:23 am

The Boston traffic was even more horrific than expected, and despite getting off work early I still missed a couple songs from Leprous' set. They played a little range of their catalog despite the pretty short set. I came in while they were finishing up "Stuck." They also played "Illuminate" and "From the Flame" from _Malina_ and unfortunately closed with "Mirage," which has that irritating dubstep drop. They were incredibly tight. The dual-guitar stop-and-start riffs were unfailingly precise. The singer also programmed keys on the fly. For some reason I didn't realize the band had a full-time cellist, but he was there, and what's more, I could actually hear him most of the time. None of the bands went overboard with the volume, and my ears didn't feel as if they'd been steamrollered at the end of the night.

The Dear Hunter... Well, I like their album covers more than their songs. OK, that's not exactly fair, they have some good songs. But they've always had a bit of a wry, ironic quality to them. They certainly don't go in for instrumental showmanship.

Between the Buried and Me... I only saw ~25 minutes of their set because I had to drive back to the back woods of NH on a work night. I don't know their recorded output at all, but I heard enough to intrigue me. They trade heavily on unpredictability: sudden tempo changes, full rests, etc. At times they are a more palatable Dillenger Escape Plan (whom I don't care for). I like it when they go full "death metal Radiohead" and play with guitar tones, little keyboard loops, and the like - which they don't do very often. The lead guitarist is amazing and is the main reason I want to explore them a little further.

Return to “PM: Core”