Shadow Gallery / Tyranny - the best ever.

The Heart of the Prog/Power Movement

Moderators: TROY or maybe DEBBIE, Stevie WOnder, Digital Man

LarryD
Site Admin

Shadow Gallery / Tyranny - the best ever.

Postby LarryD » Sat Mar 31, 2018 3:15 pm

At a time when there is so much music out there this year, for some reason I pulled out the Tyranny disc - and just stopped and thought about what a great disc this is, and how timeless it is ..... I know Digital Man will back me up here, but when I hear this, I think that this has to be the most beautiful prog rock / prog metal disc ever created...... I'm listening to it right now, and my wife walked into the room and just stared and became enthralled with it as I am .......this is one of her favorite discs of all time.

No one writes like this anymore - and no one wrote like this back in the day either ...... masterpieces are hard to come by, and this is one of them.

Their show at Prog Power was beyond magical, even without Mike Baker ..... HUGE thanks to Glenn for making this happen, it was bucket list for sure.

As I listen to this disc - I not only think about the awesome time it was in the prog genre, but how great a disc this is and how someone could some up with something this beautiful and translate it to disc .......I am mesmerized by it, the beauty, and I am saddened once again by the passing of the great Mike Baker...... (RIP brother).

Truly an amazing disc - if you have time soon, pull this out and play it, and throw your thoughts out here on it ......... if you gave me a choice of one disc to take with me to my grave, it might be this one .......

Hearing Aid Man

Re: Shadow Gallery / Tyranny - the best ever.

Postby Hearing Aid Man » Sat Mar 31, 2018 3:48 pm

I tried pulling out my 10 favorite CD's in my collection years ago and I believe this one made the pile. Love all their stuff!

introclaus

Postby introclaus » Sat Mar 31, 2018 4:00 pm

All their albums with Mike are awesome. I think I might be partial to “carved in stone” over “tyranny” but just by a hair, and if you asked me tomorrow my answer might be different .... yes, the show at PPUSA was pure magic. That’s my absolutely favorite concert at progpower ever!
Claus Jensen

Sir Exar Kun

Postby Sir Exar Kun » Sat Mar 31, 2018 4:56 pm

Like Claus, I almost lean towards the first couple discs (as horrible as the production was on the first one), but cannot fault anyone for picking "Tyranny".

I had the privilege to see their first ever live show in PA, and to this day it is my favorite concert EVER.

Shadow Gallery is an amazing band, and I seriously hope we hear more from them sometime.
Capitalism: God's way of separating the smart from the poor. -Ron Swanson

ToddS
Site Admin

Postby ToddS » Sun Apr 01, 2018 10:16 am

Amazing disc, from such a brilliant band. That PP show was one of my favorite shows of all time. Even without Mike it was incredible!

I'm going to put this one, and another 1-2 of theirs in rotation this week. Good call bro! Carved in Stone was my introduction to the band. It is great as well, and it is special in that sense.

edit to add:

Cool moment at PP. Gary leaving the stage in the middle of the set while the band was playing, and coming up behind us in the crowd. We turn and say hey, and he says hey, "Do we sound ok? I just wanted to see what we sound like from out here" not a direct quote but something like that. Lol
"My songs become my freedom, and my freedom turns to gold"

Digital Man

Postby Digital Man » Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:51 pm

Hell yes Larry. I was just thinking about this recently, could Tyranny really be my favorite CD of all time? It may very well be. The disk is an absolute perfect masterpiece. Their show at PP was the best PP set ever and probably my favorite concert ever. I sure hope they aren't done. They have been quiet for a while, but I suspect Gary's house and their studio burning down put on hold anything they might have been working on. Really wish I knew if they were even working on new stuff.
Güy

Sparky

Postby Sparky » Tue Apr 03, 2018 2:26 pm

Tyranny is a BEAST. I'll have to spin it up shortly...

For my money, I still think that SG's finest moment (or its wildest) is the instrumental breakdown on Legacy's Cliffhanger pt. 2. Kernon's dry mix just makes everything stand out crystal-clear and the band just goes at it like a burlap sack full of cats. I don't smoke, but if I smoked after sex, I'd smoke after this stretch of wizardry, too.

elendil

Postby elendil » Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:10 am

Well, I'll say this... I liked their album _Room V_. That said, it's probably been almost 20 years since I last listened to _Tyranny_, so maybe I should give that another chance.

Edit: Yeah, no, not my thing. Like a punk band's caricature of what a prog band sounds like.

AllMediaReviews

Postby AllMediaReviews » Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:07 pm

I enjoy it, but I can't to say it's better than Carved in Stone nor Room V. I kind of see those 3 about equal. Enjoy the LaBrie and DC Cooper appearances. The story almost reminds me of The Matrix or Tron or something.

And as odd as it is to say, despite the drum machine, I still find the S/T debut (demo of a kind) to remain my favorite.

I made video on YouTube about it per I found a copy on Vinyl
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbMIm1TgQOk&t=2s

introclaus

Postby introclaus » Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:24 pm

AllMediaReviews wrote:I enjoy it, but I can't to say it's better than Carved in Stone nor Room V. I kind of see those 3 about equal. Enjoy the LaBrie and DC Cooper appearances. The story almost reminds me of The Matrix or Tron or something.

And as odd as it is to say, despite the drum machine, I still find the S/T debut (demo of a kind) to remain my favorite.

I made video on YouTube about it per I found a copy on Vinyl
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbMIm1TgQOk&t=2s

Wow I completely forgot about Room V. That’s actually the only of their albums I don’t care for. Even less so than the album after Mike’s passing.
Claus Jensen

Chris R

Postby Chris R » Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:38 pm

New World.Order is a.defining moment in modern prog

It I were to make a playlist for someone who wants to get into prog this song is on here
Tarja is a female woman

Return to “PM: Core”