A prediction that didn't come true

The Heart of the Prog/Power Movement

Moderators: TROY or maybe DEBBIE, Stevie WOnder, Digital Man

elendil

A prediction that didn't come true

Postby elendil » Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:39 pm

While listening to Angra's _OMNI_ today (don't bother), I distinctly recollected a discussion on the old board back when Angra split in half. Most of us were bemoaning the split, but someone interjected to say that out of one great band would come two great bands.

Well, that didn't work out, did it? Shaaman never amounted to much, and Angra has steadily gone downhill. Sure, _Rebirth_ was a crowd-pleaser, but it took no risks and pointed out the future direction of the band: away from prog and toward generic power metal. The Matos-era albums will always be classics of all time, however.

LarryD
Site Admin

Re: A prediction that didn't come true

Postby LarryD » Sat Mar 31, 2018 2:50 pm

elendil wrote:While listening to Angra's _OMNI_ today (don't bother), I distinctly recollected a discussion on the old board back when Angra split in half. Most of us were bemoaning the split, but someone interjected to say that out of one great band would come two great bands.

Well, that didn't work out, did it? Shaaman never amounted to much, and Angra has steadily gone downhill. Sure, _Rebirth_ was a crowd-pleaser, but it took no risks and pointed out the future direction of the band: away from prog and toward generic power metal. The Matos-era albums will always be classics of all time, however.

*** I will agree with all of this - and add this to the mix ...... the live Shaman DVD show from way back when is actually excellent ....... I thought Shaman was going to fill the void caused by the split, but alas, it didn't .... but that live show is excellent ....... don't skip it if you have already ........

The Matos era is indeed where it's at for me ..... another example of how time is going by, and the past is getting further and further away from us ........

elendil

Postby elendil » Sun Apr 01, 2018 11:09 am

Hm... might have to check out that live show. And I see they did eventually go back to the "Shaman" name after being "Shaaman" for a while... that was confusing.

Mardoch

Postby Mardoch » Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:04 pm

*dons asbestos cladding*

Matos is a garbage vocalist, and he's not what made early Angra special. The Edu era is the best, but Aqua takes some time to appreciate. Fabio...he can't turn off his fucking vibrato, and what's worse is that it's wide as a truck. I can't stand him anywhere in anything, because it all sounds like trash opera.

Sir Exar Kun

Postby Sir Exar Kun » Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:06 am

Matos is a garbage vocalist, and he's not what made early Angra special.

I have literally no response to this. I am trying to think of something funny and inoffensive to politely point out how INSANELY wrong you are on this subject..... Perhaps asking if you also get your science opinions from flat earthers......

Regardless.....

WOW.

Could not disagree any more.

The Andre era was special not just because of his vocals, but more because of some of the songwriting elements he brought to the table. The Edu era gradually became more generic, with Rebirth being nothing more than a clone of Angels Cry (although I do LOVE both albums). Aqua and Aurora are both very mediocre albums that lost all the uniqueness that the first few discs possessed. The Fabio era just feels like they have tried to fit the proverbial square peg into the round hole. The songwriting is actually better in many cases than I had expected (especially once Kiko left), but Fabio just ends up dominating the sound and as a result they end up sounding like all his other projects. With the number of metal bands in Brazil, there's no reason they couldn't have found someone who fit the band better locally.
Capitalism: God's way of separating the smart from the poor. -Ron Swanson

elendil

Postby elendil » Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:08 am

I don't mind Andre's vocals at all, but IMO his biggest contribution to early Angra was in contributing the more progressive sensibility to the songwriting. He did all the symphonic arrangements (yes, I realize many of them were just ripped off from classical masters, but they still added something special to songs like "Evil Warning" and "Stand Away") and was also apparently the one who pushed for the Brazilian folk percussion on "Carolina IV" (though the post-Matos band has returned to it occasionally). I like _Rebirth_ and _Temple of Shadows_ but I don't see them as game changers the way Angra's first 3 full-lengths were (and the _Freedom Call_ EP is pretty tasty too).

Mardoch

Postby Mardoch » Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:24 pm

Hahahaha, no worries. I know full well that I'm pretty much the only person consistently wielding that particular hot take.

I didn't comment on Shaman either, but I agree that it's disappointing that it just sort of fizzled. There was a lot of promise there. I do quite enjoy Ed's solo albums though.

Sir Exar Kun

Postby Sir Exar Kun » Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:26 pm

I didn't comment on Shaman either, but I agree that it's disappointing that it just sort of fizzled. There was a lot of promise there. I do quite enjoy Ed's solo albums though.

Agreed on everything here. Even Andre's solo albums were very good, but it's been YEARS since he last did anything new.

Almah is definitely solid, and have kind of tried up several different styles over their career. Hoping Edu keeps turning out solid stuff, as the last couple Almah records are definitely better than the last few Angras!
Capitalism: God's way of separating the smart from the poor. -Ron Swanson

Return to “PM: Core”