COLLIBUS - Trusting The Illusion

The Heart of the Prog/Power Movement

Moderators: TROY or maybe DEBBIE, Stevie WOnder, Digital Man

Guillaume

COLLIBUS - Trusting The Illusion

Postby Guillaume » Sat Mar 10, 2018 2:33 pm

This female-fronted proggy power band released a good album a few years ago that I don't recall much but they reached the next step with this new one. Crunchy guitars, tight musicianship, nice melodies and powerful female vocals by Gemma Fox.

Excellent stuff, check this out.

This band would be a great fit for ProgPower me thinks...

The Last Time
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WATp_UUgb4k

We Stand Together
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUUMMjFfBz4

Guillaume

Guillaume

Re: COLLIBUS - Trusting The Illusion

Postby Guillaume » Sat Mar 10, 2018 2:38 pm

Finally, replaying some stuff from The False Awakening (2014), this was quality stuff too. But new one is still better IMO.

Dead Inside
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZn938T ... e=youtu.be

The Hunted
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bgAWEq ... e=youtu.be

The False Awakening
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRLwHDl ... e=youtu.be

Guillaume

Postby Guillaume » Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:33 pm

So, am I the only one enjoying Collibus around here? :shock:

LarryD
Site Admin

Postby LarryD » Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:05 pm

I played a couple of tunes - and while I enjoyed the first one, I didn't care for the second one ...... I seem to enjoy the female singers more in a "Goth" setting than I do in a strictly straight or power metal act..... I'm not sure why that is. I know some of these women have great voices (that singer from Battle Beast comes to mind) but I couldn't listen to that band ...... The singer in Collibus is very good - I just don't care for that style of music with a female singer if that makes sense......

Epica and Nightwish come to mind as I write this - but those are not "straight ahead" metal bands if you will .......

Random Axe

Postby Random Axe » Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:54 pm

I dig the hell out of this. I swear when I first heard a tune a few days ago I didnt know it was a female vocal. It straight up sounded like an atmospheric David Readman. These vocal parts are written for a male tenor, and she nails this material. I'll tell you how impressed I am, and this will show how narrow minded I am as well.

I own exactly zero female fronted albums. This will easily be in my top five this year. It reminds me of Redemption meets Evergrey meets Soilwork with clean vocals. this is super strong stuff that really needs some attention.

Chris R

Postby Chris R » Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:21 pm

LarryD wrote:I played a couple of tunes - and while I enjoyed the first one, I didn't care for the second one ...... I seem to enjoy the female singers more in a "Goth" setting than I do in a strictly straight or power metal act..... I'm not sure why that is. I know some of these women have great voices (that singer from Battle Beast comes to mind) but I couldn't listen to that band ...... The singer in Collibus is very good - I just don't care for that style of music with a female singer if that makes sense......

Epica and Nightwish come to mind as I write this - but those are not "straight ahead" metal bands if you will .......

You mean I'm not the only one who cannot do Battle Beast ?
Tarja is a female woman

LarryD
Site Admin

Postby LarryD » Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:36 am

Chris R wrote:
LarryD wrote:I played a couple of tunes - and while I enjoyed the first one, I didn't care for the second one ...... I seem to enjoy the female singers more in a "Goth" setting than I do in a strictly straight or power metal act..... I'm not sure why that is. I know some of these women have great voices (that singer from Battle Beast comes to mind) but I couldn't listen to that band ...... The singer in Collibus is very good - I just don't care for that style of music with a female singer if that makes sense......

You mean I'm not the only one who cannot do Battle Beast ?

****NOPE.

Mardoch

Postby Mardoch » Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:00 am

Random Axe wrote:It reminds me of Redemption meets Evergrey meets Soilwork with clean vocals. this is super strong stuff that really needs some attention.

Why are you gonna make me spend money, man?

The Surfing Alien

Postby The Surfing Alien » Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:21 pm

I like this band a lot. great singing and riffage. There's something about their sound/production that makes it difficult to listen to sometimes though. It's kind of dense but low and muffled a bit. I don't know. I wish they'd try something else, a little brighter sounding.

BC

Postby BC » Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:26 pm

Alien is here now? Fantastic! We’re getting closer and closer to truly getting the old gang back together. :)
Is a song titled "Everybody Dies" supposed to sound so happy?
Doom, gloom, the World goes boom! None will be spared, so don't assume. Not ragged clothed nor silver spooned. You're all the same when extinction looms!

Return to “PM: Core”