Royal Hunt - Cast In Stone

The Heart of the Prog/Power Movement

Moderators: TROY or maybe DEBBIE, Stevie WOnder, Digital Man

Digital Man

Royal Hunt - Cast In Stone

Postby Digital Man » Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:53 pm

Supposedly Royal Hunt released a new CD on February 21. I'm surprised there has been zero buzz about it. I haven't been able to find a CD copy for sale at any of my usual sources. Looks like you can buy it directly from the band, but I'm wondering why it's not available elsewhere yet. Has anyone heard it?
Güy

introclaus

Re: Royal Hunt - Cast In Stone

Postby introclaus » Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:38 pm

Yeah it’s available on iTunes. I bought it the day it came out.

Took me a while to appreciate it (I hated it at first) and there are still 2 songs on there that I really dislike, but the rest are solid. It’s never gonna be ranked high amongst their albums for me, but it’s better than the previous one which I didn’t like at all.

First thing you need to get used to with this new one is the production which is very “organic” and old school - apparently they didn’t use any fancy modern recording techniques so that’s at least interesting ... we can always discuss if that makes it a better or worse end result.

Also, DC sounds way better here than on the last album where it was clear that his voice was shot. He regained it - mostly ... he is still not back to his youthful days.

Musically this leans more towards albums like “moving target” than the later albums - and I for one appreciate it. Also, there are some real nice guitar solos here, something I feel has been missing from RH for a long time.
Claus Jensen

Guillaume

Postby Guillaume » Sat Mar 10, 2018 2:45 pm

New album is not bad, but I think the keyboards overpowering the guitars is never a good idea... I don't see myself playing it very often.

My fave RH albums remain the first 2 with John West, when the guitars were really heavy and more upfront.

Sir Exar Kun

Postby Sir Exar Kun » Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:36 pm

On the fence about ordering this, but the fact that they have BED SHEETS almost makes me want to pull the trigger.

http://royalhunt.com/product/bed-linen/
Capitalism: God's way of separating the smart from the poor. -Ron Swanson

Guillaume

Postby Guillaume » Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:42 pm

Sir Exar Kun wrote:On the fence about ordering this, but the fact that they have BED SHEETS almost makes me want to pull the trigger.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

dspot

Postby dspot » Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:52 pm

Echoing what Claus said - it didn't sink in right away but I've come around that this is a very solid album by them. Better than the last for sure. Weirdly, all 4 albums since DC rejoined are good but not great, and for me have no long staying power. A Life to Die for is probably the best in my book from this period.

outprogged42

Postby outprogged42 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:46 pm

The song I heard was painfully average. I think Royal Hunt has talent but hasn't stayed with me long-term, with that said, but I don't know if I'm going to listen to the full album anytime soon.

Stevie WOnder

Postby Stevie WOnder » Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:16 pm

Sir Exar Kun wrote:On the fence about ordering this, but the fact that they have BED SHEETS almost makes me want to pull the trigger.

You weren't joking!! :shock:
"Manowar rules!!!" - Larry D

Sir Exar Kun

Postby Sir Exar Kun » Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:31 am

Another solid disc, but there's something slightly off with the recording..... Particularly with the vocals. DC Cooper normally sounds VERY clear and sharp, with every word understandable. That's not the case here. I don't think it's the way it's mixed; rather, it just sounds like it was not captured well in the studio somehow. Certainly not enough to ruin the album (Paradox II's vocal mixes were AWFUL; this is nowhere near that bad), but it does detract a bit from what are some REALLY good songs.

Also, on the bed sheets...... I might have to order if the pillowcases came with the band photo from the liner notes on them.... Wow. My wife would die laughing if she came home and this was on the bed.

Capitalism: God's way of separating the smart from the poor. -Ron Swanson

elendil

Postby elendil » Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:02 pm

I agree that something is a bit off with the vocals. RH is a band that has done some awesome work and then some pretty dull (IMO) albums. In this case the compositions are fine but the execution isn't quite what I'd hoped.

Return to “PM: Core”