It's easy to forget Star One...

The Heart of the Prog/Power Movement

Moderators: TROY or maybe DEBBIE, Stevie WOnder, Digital Man

Sparky

It's easy to forget Star One...

Postby Sparky » Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:21 pm

Man, this second Star One disc has always kicked ass, and it's doing so currently. Given Ayreon, it's almost hard to believe that Star One is/was a thing. Russ and Damien just rule all over this one...
I'll be the judge of what's good and what isn't, thank you... ;)

ToddS
Site Admin

Re: It's easy to forget Star One...

Postby ToddS » Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:02 pm

Sparky wrote:Man, this second Star One disc has always kicked ass, and it's doing so currently. Given Ayreon, it's almost hard to believe that Star One is/was a thing. Russ and Damien just rule all over this one...

Both of those Star One records are just a whole lot of fun. Those 2 plus Floor as well kill it!
"My songs become my freedom, and my freedom turns to gold"

Mardoch

Postby Mardoch » Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:45 am

Floor is such a monster of a vocalist. I wish Nightwish was using her to her potential.

Sir Exar Kun

Postby Sir Exar Kun » Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:30 am

Floor is such a monster of a vocalist. I wish Nightwish was using her to her potential.

I've found myself wondering if she can still bring the power like she used to, or if age has crept up on her. I watched the recent Nightwish DVD(s), and even on the older material she doesn't bring the punch that she used to. It reminds me of listening to Urban Breed now versus back in the Tad Morose days..... The voice may still be great, but there's a certain element of just how far they would push their limits back then, that it feels like maybe they simply cannot do anymore.
Capitalism: God's way of separating the smart from the poor. -Ron Swanson

Guillaume

Postby Guillaume » Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:56 am

Sparky wrote:Man, this second Star One disc has always kicked ass, and it's doing so currently. Given Ayreon, it's almost hard to believe that Star One is/was a thing. Russ and Damien just rule all over this one...

Yes, best thing Arjen has done for me, along with Bodine...

Guillaume

Postby Guillaume » Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:57 am

Sir Exar Kun wrote:

It reminds me of listening to Urban Breed now versus back in the Tad Morose days..... The voice may still be great, but there's a certain element of just how far they would push their limits back then, that it feels like maybe they simply cannot do anymore.

Urban is still a great singer. But damn I miss the aggression his voice used to have while in Tad Morose. He sings so clean now. What a change...

Sir Exar Kun

Postby Sir Exar Kun » Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:01 am

Urban is still a great singer. But damn I miss the aggression his voice used to have while in Tad Morose. He sings so clean now. What a change...

Not disagreeing at all; Floor's still great too, even if she doesn't belt it out the same was as the After Forever days..... But Urban definitely doesn't have that same reach-to-the-very-limits style that he used to..... Think of songs like "World with No Sun", where he just RIPS...... Whether it's conscious choice, or simply age limiting what he can sing, that range and power isn't quite there anymore.

The great singers (like Urban, like Floor) adapt and still shine.....
Capitalism: God's way of separating the smart from the poor. -Ron Swanson

ToddS
Site Admin

Postby ToddS » Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:15 pm

Mardoch wrote:Floor is such a monster of a vocalist. I wish Nightwish was using her to her potential.

It seemed like the perfect match up on paper, but yea I agree.
"My songs become my freedom, and my freedom turns to gold"

LarryD
Site Admin

Postby LarryD » Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:50 pm

I'm in the camp that the first one blows away the second one ........ I never listen to the second one ..............

Return to “PM: Core”