Rush Concerts

The Heart of the Prog/Power Movement

Moderators: TROY or maybe DEBBIE, Stevie WOnder, Digital Man

Digital Man

Rush Concerts

Postby Digital Man » Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:20 pm

Repost from Facebook for those that will miss it there.

How about you?

As I was reading a thread on a progressive rock forum mourning end end of my favorite band Rush, I realized I could never remember how many times I got to see them live. So I finally decided to take the time to try and figure it out. I didn't discover the band until around 1981. I thank the popularity of their album Moving Pictures for my exposure to the band. Unfortunately they skipped Colorado on a number of their 80's tours so I missed some of those.

Source:
http://www.cygnus-x1.net/links/rush/tourdates.php

Total shows: 19

Signals Proper Tour
September 17, 1982 McNichols Arena -- Denver, Colorado (Rory Gallagher)

Power Windows Proper Tour
February 14, 1986 McNichol's Arena -- Denver, Colorado (Steve Morse)

Tour Supporting "PRESTO"
June 22, 1990 Fiddler's Green Amphitheatre -- Englewood, Colorado (Mr. Big)

Tour Supporting "ROLL THE BONES"
January 17, 1992 Pan American Center -- Las Cruces, New Mexico [rehearsal]
January 18, 1992 Pan American Center -- Las Cruces, New Mexico (Primus)
May 27, 1992 Fiddler's Green Amphitheater -- Englewood, Colorado, (Mr. Big)

Tour Supporting "COUNTERPARTS"
February 10, 1994 Arco Arena -- Sacramento, California (The Melvins)
February 11, 1994 Cow Palace -- San Francisco, California (The Melvins)
February 12, 1994 San Jose Arena -- San Jose, California (The Melvins)

Tour Supporting "TEST FOR ECHO"
May 22, 1997 Fiddler's Green Amphitheater -- Englewood, Colorado

Tour Supporting "VAPOR TRAILS"
August 24, 2002 Fiddler's Green Amphitheatre -- Englewood, Colorado

Tour Supporting "FEEDBACK" (30th Anniversary Tour)
June 29, 2004 Red Rocks Amphitheater -- Morrison, Colorado

Tour Supporting "SNAKES & ARROWS"
August 8, 2007 Red Rocks Amphitheatre -- Morrison, Colorado

Tour Supporting "SNAKES & ARROWS LIVE"
June 25, 2008 Red Rocks Amphitheater -- Morrison, Colorado [originally scheduled for June 5th]

"RUSH TIME MACHINE TOUR - 2010-11"
August 16, 2010 Red Rocks Amphitheater -- Morrison, Colorado

Tour Supporting "CLOCKWORK ANGELS"
August 2, 2013 Pepsi Center -- Denver, Colorado

"R40 Live 40th Anniversary Tour"
May 30, 2015 Jiffy Lube Live -- Bristow, Virginia
July 11, 2015 Pepsi Center - Denver, Colorado
July 25, 2015 MGM Grand Garden Arena -- Las Vegas, Nevada
Güy

Sir Exar Kun

Re: Rush Concerts

Postby Sir Exar Kun » Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:09 am

I can remember mine much more vividly, as I only saw them three times. I was definitely NOT a Rush fan through most of high school, as my exposure to them was basically via the radio songs (Tom Sawyer, Freewill, the new single at the time Show Don't Tell) and I was not a fan of ANY of those songs. Still am not a fan of those to this day, in fact.

It wasn't until a couple friends of mine who were fanatical about the band played me La Villa and YYZ that I started to open up to them. Senior year of high school one of my friends had an extra ticket to the Roll the Bones tour, and after that concert I was sold.

Despite that, I didn't see them again until the Time Machine tour. I was working with a guy at the time who took FANATICAL to the next level, and likely would have had restraining orders filed against him by the band if he took his obsession one step further.... He has seen them 74 (?) times live, and lives/breathes/sleeps Rush. I saw them one last time on the Clockwork Angels tour (FANTASTIC show!!!) but skipped the 40th anniversary tour as I didn't feel like paying the prices for tickets that go-around.

Rush is one of those staple bands that I enjoy more for what they contributed to the genre, rather than appreciating their music on its own. I certainly get the love many people have for this band, but I don't personally have that same relationship with them. I'd love to see them tour one more time, just for nostalgia, but I also respect them hanging it up now rather than dragging it on a few years too long.
Capitalism: God's way of separating the smart from the poor. -Ron Swanson

Sparky

Postby Sparky » Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:46 am

16 or 17, I think? That's just because I'm old - I never road-tripped to see them. I used to live near-ish to Chicago growing up, and they used to play there 2 nights in a row. I'd of course go to both nights, but honestly, by the end of night 2, I was ready to move on - and I consider myself a die-hard fan. I don't get the dudes who insist on seeing a non-spontaneous band 100s of times - *especially* in the era of the blu-ray.
I'll be the judge of what's good and what isn't, thank you... ;)

LarryD
Site Admin

Postby LarryD » Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:47 pm

I can't pintpoint the exact dates of my shows - but I'm elderly, so I was privy to early Rush way back in the 70s. Here is what I can remember:

You know that black & white 30 minute show that was included with the big CD set ? The show with 2112 and the CD "All the Worlds a Stage" ? I saw that concert. Yes I did....... I believe it was in Providence, RI back in 1976 ? That was my first show......

My 2nd Rush show was the "Hemispheres" show in 1979 ...... Largo, Maryland at the Capital Centre. I have pictures. Awesome.

My next show was the "Moving Pictures" show in Providence RI in 1981 I believe.

Then I saw the "Signals" tour in 1982 in Providence, RI

I then saw the "Grace Under Pressure" tour in 1984 - just like on the DVD show of the same.

I saw the Power Windows tour in 1985 in Providence, RI.

I believe the last time I saw Rush was on the Hold Your Fire tour in Providence, RI in 1987.

After that - any show I saw of Rush was to be on DVD. I lost interest in the band on CD somewhere around the Presto / Counterparts era, and never recovered.......but I have most of the DVDs of the live shows and some awesome memories of the shows.........the "All the World's a Stage" era was my favorite .............

Mardoch

Postby Mardoch » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:42 pm

Sadly never. And it seems as if it'll stay that way.

progulus

Postby progulus » Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:30 pm

Hey Digital Man have you had a chance to see the band Rush Archives from Colorado? They're playing another show in March. Great stuff.

Digital Man

Postby Digital Man » Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:16 pm

progulus wrote:Hey Digital Man have you had a chance to see the band Rush Archives from Colorado? They're playing another show in March. Great stuff.

I've been meaning to catch Rush Archives forever and I finally will be able to see the show March 9. Already bought a ticket. They're playing with a Styx cover band (Paradise Theater) so I figured I had to go. I'm going to have my own Styx sing-along and will be thinking about the Room Of Death at the time. At least I'm unlikely to get thrown out for singing Styx too loud like we almost did at the Residence Inn.

Have you seen Rush Archives? So are you in Colorado?
Güy

Digital Man

Postby Digital Man » Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:20 pm

LarryD wrote:I can't pintpoint the exact dates of my shows -

I couldn't remember either, so that's why I went through this list and found them:

http://www.cygnus-x1.net/links/rush/tourdates.php

It's a shame that I didn't get into Rush until my favorite albums were already in the past, so I missed all their 70's concerts. I'm jealous of anyone that saw those shows like you did. At least over the years I got to see them play so many of those older songs that I love so much.
Güy

LarryD
Site Admin

Postby LarryD » Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:53 pm

Guy ......

I,checked the Rush archives, but I did not see the All The Worlds a,Stage show in my area..... I know I saw it, could have been somewhere else,but those locations did not jar my memory....... I know I saw it though.....I would never forget something like that show........

Chris R

Postby Chris R » Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:38 pm

Seen them over 40 times
Starting out as an 8 year old seeing them open for Blue Oyster Cult in 1977 on Long Island
Seen evert tour except unfortunately theIr last one (had a major photoshoot out of the country at the time..)
Actually followed the band when on winter break in 1987/88

To me the standout shows
Henispheres...the only time as far as I know they did all of Hemispheres and Cygnus back to back..

Moving Pictures..
To me at their peak..Geddy still hit the highs perfectly ..and the last time they would play a lot of the old.classics live

The 4 shows at Radio City music Hall in Sept of 1983 between Signals and Grace..
Check that...this was their peak..4 different set lists..brought back a few classics..3 songs previewed from Grace..

Power Windows
this to me was the best overall arena show I have ever seen...the big Keys made them a wall of sound live..the lazers...
Also because of the opening act...this was the night I was exposed to Marillion as they dI'd tbe entire Misplaced Childhood album..
Tarja is a female woman

progulus

Postby progulus » Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:26 am

Digital Man wrote:
progulus wrote:Hey Digital Man have you had a chance to see the band Rush Archives from Colorado? They're playing another show in March. Great stuff.

I've been meaning to catch Rush Archives forever and I finally will be able to see the show March 9. Already bought a ticket. They're playing with a Styx cover band (Paradise Theater) so I figured I had to go. I'm going to have my own Styx sing-along and will be thinking about the Room Of Death at the time. At least I'm unlikely to get thrown out for singing Styx too loud like we almost did at the Residence Inn.

Yup - I'll be there 3/9. We should meet up and say hi.

Digital Man

Postby Digital Man » Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:09 pm

progulus wrote:
Digital Man wrote:

Yup - I'll be there 3/9. We should meet up and say hi.

Cool. I'm pretty easy to pick out. Long red hair and I'll wear my Hemispheres shirt. Hope to see you there.

Guy
Güy

LarryD
Site Admin

Postby LarryD » Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:30 pm

Mike --

He is not lying ...... you'll find him no problem ............ :wink:

GaetanL

Postby GaetanL » Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:38 pm

As I said before, I like Rush but I'm not a huge fan.
I saw them only once a couple of years ago.
To me, the concert to own on DVD / Blu-ray is "Rush In Rio". I love this concert! The crowd is going crazy! But it's not the best for image quality though.
Gaétan
Musique Progressive Dynamique
Site consacré au métal progressif, au néo-prog et au hard rock
http://www.musiqueprog.net

LarryD
Site Admin

Postby LarryD » Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:06 pm

GaetanL wrote:As I said before, I like Rush but I'm not a huge fan.
I saw them only once a couple of years ago.
To me, the concert to own on DVD / Blu-ray is "Rush In Rio". I love this concert! The crowd is going crazy! But it's not the best for image quality though.

*** Or sound.....,the quality is terrible. A shame for such a,huge show.......

ToddS
Site Admin

Postby ToddS » Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:40 pm

All The Worlds A Stage, and Hemispheres tours are the holy grail imo. I’m jealous of you guys that saw those shows.

I remembering not being able to get to the Hemispheres show, and being so bummed out. It bugs me to this day.

I’m going to check the list to figure out the shows I saw, and update later.
"My songs become my freedom, and my freedom turns to gold"

Return to “PM: Core”