Lyra's Legacy: For all you old fucks that miss crunch & keys

The Heart of the Prog/Power Movement

Moderators: TROY or maybe DEBBIE, Stevie WOnder, Digital Man

Harvester

Lyra's Legacy: For all you old fucks that miss crunch & keys

Postby Harvester » Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:20 am

Good stuff. Vocalist has a Zak Stevens vibe going on. Video says album was 2017, but it was only released last month. Full album is on spotify.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVh6CTdS-g8

Sir Exar Kun

Re: Lyra's Legacy: For all you old fucks that miss crunch & keys

Postby Sir Exar Kun » Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:13 am

Good stuff. Singer is a little smoother than Zak, to my ears..... Maybe closer to Michael Andersson?

Anywho.... I'd like it a lot more if it was on CD instead of just digital. (Another sign of the "old fuck" syndrome.)
Capitalism: God's way of separating the smart from the poor. -Ron Swanson

Hearing Aid Man

Postby Hearing Aid Man » Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:16 am

Doesn't sound too bad - will check it out more. It actually sounds like something I used to play a lot, but I can't put my finger on it (my sign of age).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JAnk1YQlUM

LarryD
Site Admin

Postby LarryD » Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:52 pm

I'm digging what I hear so far ......... singer definitely sounds like some Zak indeed..........and there is nice crunch to this. I'm looking further for sure.......

LarryD
Site Admin

Postby LarryD » Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:00 pm

This is pretty bad ass symphonic metal ...... I've been trying for days to come up with some similarities of bands, and I finally came up with this ....... Serenity meets Angel Dust. If you can imagine what that sounds like - fronted by a Zak Stevens sound-alike singer, then you are in the ball park here. The emphasis is on melodies.....and melodies galore. The other band I came up with along the way is Ascendia ..... if you remember their symphonic metal style, then it's also in the ball park here..... now bear in mind, this disc isn't going to blow any mind or be the end all of symphonic metal - but what these guys do, they do perfectly, and if you like that style, this one is a no brainer. Really kick ass stuff ........

Random Axe

Postby Random Axe » Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:01 pm

Heard a third of that song and I ordered the disc. I could already tell its made for me. Reminds me of Empire21, and it may be the same singer. Sure looks like him.

Guillaume

Postby Guillaume » Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:07 pm

Random Axe wrote:Heard a third of that song and I ordered the disc. I could already tell its made for me. Reminds me of Empire21, and it may be the same singer. Sure looks like him.

Don't think it's the Empire21 dude...

Random Axe

Postby Random Axe » Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:25 pm

Yeah I checked, they look alike. Both sound great. E21 is awesome and I think Im going to dig Lyras

Random Axe

Postby Random Axe » Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:46 pm

Super fast shipping from the label, Lyra's Legacy is here. Ill take it on the road to work in the morning. According to the label, official release was Jan of 18. Ive got a strong feeling this is gonna be great.

LarryD
Site Admin

Postby LarryD » Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:51 am

Random Axe wrote:Super fast shipping from the label, Lyra's Legacy is here. Ill take it on the road to work in the morning. According to the label, official release was Jan of 18. Ive got a strong feeling this is gonna be great.

*** It really is a great disc, and it's still in rotation. The melodies and the singer are what attract me, as I'm sure they will you too. I still stand by my descriptor of Serenity meets Angel Dust or some similar formation ...... and lots would say "been there, done that" to this disc ..... and yes, we all have. But sometimes, a band comes along and just stands above that moniker, and takes their music one step up from the norm, and this band has done that.

The problem for me is -- that OSTURA has come along and completely over shadowed everything I've been playing lately. I mean complete stop, and nothing else stands a chance while this thing is within my grasp. Sadly, but luckily, it is stream only and other discs like Lyra and Orphaned Land get rotation in the car...... in the house, Ostura is firing on all cylinders, even You Tube, just re-playing the sample videos and short interviews with the members ........

Scott, if you haven't checked out Ostura, you need to ..... unless you don't want to get stuck just playing that 24/7 like me ....... :wink:

Random Axe

Postby Random Axe » Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:28 pm

Lyra's is okay. nothing super special. Singer is quite limited in range and delivery. not bad. not something I need to spin again soon.

Now, this Ostura thats been mentioned...I'll have to look into that.

LarryD
Site Admin

Postby LarryD » Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:32 am

Random Axe wrote:Lyra's is okay. nothing super special. Singer is quite limited in range and delivery. not bad. not something I need to spin again soon.

Now, this Ostura thats been mentioned...I'll have to look into that.

***Sorry to hear the Lyra didn't do it for you ...... I figured that symphonic sound would really do it for you ....... the singer I thought was really good and didn't need to do anymore than he does ....... I thought the crunch and melodies were top notch for this type of music and the speed is kept to a minimum .......

The Ostura is a different ball game ......whole nother league. A true travesty if this thing doesn't make it to disc....... disc of the year (or stream of the year should I say) material here......

Return to “PM: Core”