Ostura: Stop what you are doing and listen now

The Heart of the Prog/Power Movement

Moderators: TROY or maybe DEBBIE, Stevie WOnder, Digital Man

GaetanL

Re: Ostura: Stop what you are doing and listen now

Postby GaetanL » Mon May 21, 2018 7:06 pm

I wonder if their first album was ever released on CD?
Gaétan
Musique Progressive Dynamique
Site consacré au métal progressif, au néo-prog et au hard rock
http://www.musiqueprog.net

LarryD
Site Admin

Postby LarryD » Sat May 26, 2018 2:09 pm

So I bought the CD version as well as the CD-R version ....... I need to compare these on my main system to be sure, but on my "first line of defense system" I can't say that I hear much difference........ I would have to play both back to back in succession, but I play the CD-R constantly up till now, so it's fresh in my mind .......

As I'm listening, I want to say that the vocals are a bit clearer and the bass is more prominent, but that could just be me talking out the butt........ I'll know more when I can get the 2 versions on the main system back to back .........

It still is an awesome disc - my #1 so far for the year....... so I had zero problems springing for both versions .........

GaetanL

Postby GaetanL » Sat May 26, 2018 2:33 pm

I don't think it will change the sound... It's still the same series of 1 and 0... It's a question of durability. Factory press CD are much durable. The difference is easy to see. The reading surface of factory press CD really look silver. The reading surface of a CD-R looks darker (more blue). They can be burned with a computer for example.
Gaétan

LarryD
Site Admin

Postby LarryD » Sat May 26, 2018 2:38 pm

GaetanL wrote:I don't think it will change the sound... It's still the same series of 1 and 0... It's a question of durability. Factory press CD are much durable. The difference is easy to see. The reading surface of factory press CD really look silver. The reading surface of a CD-R looks darker (more blue). They can be burned with a computer for example.

***Thanks Gaetan -- I'll take them both out soon and look at them ............ I know what you're talking about but I don't remember the CD-R looking "blue" as it were....but if durable is what it comes down to - then I'm glad I have the real thing ............

GaetanL

Postby GaetanL » Sat May 26, 2018 3:01 pm

At CD Baby when it's a CD-R, they use to mention it. For example if you look at Néodyme - Le Guetteur. I have this and it's a CD-R like mentioned on CD Baby web site. When I look at Ostura - The Room, CD Baby says "CD" not "CD-R". It's not impossible that this could be an error on their site... I don't know...
Gaétan

LarryD
Site Admin

Postby LarryD » Sat May 26, 2018 4:29 pm

GaetanL wrote:At CD Baby when it's a CD-R, they use to mention it. For example if you look at Néodyme - Le Guetteur. I have this and it's a CD-R like mentioned on CD Baby web site. When I look at Ostura - The Room, CD Baby says "CD" not "CD-R". It's not impossible that this could be an error on their site... I don't know...

***I agree -- when I bought it at CD Baby, it did not mention it being a CD-R, so I thought it was the real thing ........ I'll take both copies and put them together and see what I see ..... I'll let you know .........

LarryD
Site Admin

Postby LarryD » Mon May 28, 2018 2:12 pm

Ok - so I finally got around to doing a back to back visual on these 2 products ......... Gaetan was right. The CD-R version is a blu-ish platter, while the newest actual CD version from The Lasers Edge is a glass platter, and silver in color. This CD version is also much lighter in weight compared to the heavier CD-R version ........

What I also noticed - is that the CD artwork is a bit different as well ..... The CD booklets are the same, but the outer digi-paks are a bit different in color. The CD-R version artwork is darker in color - the shades are darker, while the CD version has a lighter color on the digi-pak.......no biggie, but I prefer the darker look, so while I have both versions, I may just swap out the digi-paks because I can........... :D

As far as sound - I would have to do a back to back in succession to really compare - as doing it from memory did not cut it .............. I thought I heard a bit more clarity from the CD but as I said earlier, I could be talking out the ass .......

Either way -- this disc is awesome ....... now you can have the CD version from The Lasers Edge if you didn't grab this one first round ..............

Return to “PM: Core”