Carisma / 1825 - revisited.

The Heart of the Prog/Power Movement

Moderators: TROY or maybe DEBBIE, Stevie WOnder, Digital Man

LarryD
Site Admin

Carisma / 1825 - revisited.

Postby LarryD » Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:02 am

I did something I never do ..... I took Carisma / 1812 into the car with me out on the road. I NEVER take this disc out of the house, and I should have made a CD-R of it before hand and then taken that with me. ( slaps self in the head ). Nothing happened to it - but as I thought about it sitting there in the player all day while I was at work, I couldn't help think about what would happen if I damaged the disc ? It went well and I played the disc to and from work, then I took it inside and played it on the main system. It all prompted me to come up with some thoughts as I listened to the disc. As I sat there listening to this disc - here is what I thought:

- I know the production is terrible. But I still love it. I noted the excessive bass, the heavy kick drum (which I love). The strange guitar sound (which I don't love). Some uneven recording levels throughout the songs. I love this disc.

- Remember Dream Disc ? I forget the guy's name who I dealt with all the time but he said " you need this disc - it sounds just like Queensryche. He said that to just about every disc I bought from them. Then I met Ken in 1996 ? It was much better because he would just say " you need this disc " without comparing it to anyone. Then I would just buy it. :wink:

- As I listened I thought, this does sound a little like Queensryche. The singer has some Tate qualities in his lower range. The melodies are similar, and the drama is there. I wonder what this would sound like if Queensryche has written this and put their spin on it and made it more "metal". Wow - this would rule the world.

- I wanted to know everything about this band. Little info about them, web site was pretty shoddy and non-existent. This is their discography:

In a Moonland EP 1992
New World Single 1995
1825 Full-length 1996

In a Moonland was a 6-song EP - it was pop. New World was a single song CD, but had 3 songs on it. It was pop. Then came 1825. It was nothing like the previous 2.
I don't remember who - but one or more of my brothers in Europe knew I loved this band - so they made it possible for me to get the other 2 releases. I never play them.
I thought about the difference between the discs. What happened ?

- I reached out to either Jon Froda (keys) or Jan Black (guitars) back in the day. I'm inclined to think it was Jon Froda but I'm not sure. I just remember him giving me the history of the band as a pop band, and suddenly 1825 was born out of nowhere. I remember him saying that he was the only one who loved it and wanted it released. The others thought it was too proggy and they soon disbanded.

- Many years later, I again reached out to Jon Froda ( I apologize if it was Jan), and asked if he would be interested in having 1825 re-mastered. He said he'd thought about it, but no one else in the band ( who weren't together anymore ) would ever go for it as they didn't care for the disc to begin with. We talked about the 1825 artwork cover, which he thought was pretty bad, and others (maybe his family or friends) tried to dissuade them from using that awful picture, but he wanted to keep true to the storyline.

- If I recall, I got in touch with the father of one of the members originally. As I look at the names of the members, I could swear it was Jesper Arvidson's dad (the drummer) who originally contacted me and thanked me for reaching out.

- One last time, I reached out again maybe 15 or more years ago, and Jon or Jan responded. It was just out of curiosity, and he was leaving Denmark and going on a peace keeping mission in South America ? for 2 or 3 years. He wasn't playing an instrument anymore, and that he thought some of the others had continued to be a pop band. He gave me some more scoop on 1825, and I thanked him again for all of the years of pleasure that this disc brought me, and he said he had wished that the other band members felt the same way ......

- To this day, the disc has a hold on me. I'm not sure why. The melodies, the drama, the fact that they really didn't want to write this way and this disc came out of it ?
The vocals ? So addictive and emotional. I feel for the character in the story.

- I checked around to see if I could find any copies for sale just in case I made the stupid mistake of taking this out with me in the car again. I found a couple for sale around $75.00 or more.

- In my search for the disc, I found this as a comparison:

https://www.amazon.com/Zarah-Teartown-S ... B000EJ9RQA (anyone remember this disc ? ) I love it.

- Anyway, it's strange how certain discs reach us in certain ways. Sometimes by today's standards, there are discs we never pick up anymore, listen to, or even care about....and there are others we even wonder why we liked in the first place. Maybe it brings back certain memories of a better time. Time goes by. In the end - we keep certain discs dear to us, and close to our hearts, for whatever reason. Carisma / 1825 is one of those discs for me.......

Update: 2 minutes later. I found the MP3s on Amazon - $8.99 for the whole disc. I bought it. Again.
Update: 2 minutes later. I found the other 2 discs in MP3 format on Amazon for $2.97 and $5.94. I did not buy them again.

Sir Exar Kun

Re: Carisma / 1825 - revisited.

Postby Sir Exar Kun » Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:51 am

Great post, and a great album! Good shout out on the Ricochet album as well...... My recollection was that it had more of a Superior vibe to it (Cincinnati Road rules!).

Have you ever had problems before taking discs in the car? The only ones I am more sensitive about are the digi-packs that I cannot easily replace, as I have found that extreme temps can cause the glue to fail on them..... Or if I drop it in a snowbank or something. Worst I've ever had otherwise were a broken jewel case or two, easily replaced.

Also, great to see someone call out Dream Disc. They were the ones in Indiana, right? My buddy MidKnight and I used to drive out there a couple times a year and spend half a day in that store. The owners (Jason and..... blanking on the other guy.....) were SO COOL. Aside from a handful of very limited higher priced discs, they would let us open and sample anything they had in the store. We'd come back with stacks of 15-20 discs EASY every time. I also remember (and Mid will too!!!) there'd always be one or two people walk in off the street, look around for a few minutes, and ask "do you have the new Madonna" or something like that, only to be frustrated every time.

It was a truly great era, that nothing today can replicate. Finding a new gem nowadays is nowhere near as satisfying as it was back then...... Half the joy came from the search for the music.... That's why albums like this are so enjoyable to listen to. It's not just about the album, the production, the artwork..... It's about the memory of the DISCOVERY. Certain albums and songs will always bring that thrilling sense right back to the forefront. Songs like Edguy's "Out of Control", or Symphony X "Of Sins and Shadows", or Yngwie Malmsteen's "I Don't Know" (OK, that last one was more about the feeling of laughing so hard while driving that I thought we might honestly crash), but all of those songs, every single time, bring back the same goosebump memories of that very first time I heard them. (Midknight will remember every single one of those too!)
Capitalism: God's way of separating the smart from the poor. -Ron Swanson

GaetanL

Postby GaetanL » Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:32 am

I agree that 1825 is their best but Larry you are a bit severe about the "In A Moonland" EP. To me, this is very good hard rock. It doesn't have the metal and the progressive touch of 1825 but I still like it very much.

My car is a 2009 and it can read CD-RW disc of mp3. With a software, I convert my flac files I made from my CDs to mp3. Approximately 8 albums in mp3 can be burned to a CD-RW. After listening to this 8 albums in my car, I re-burn the same CD-RW with another 8 albums. Maybe one day I'll buy a unit in my car that can read flac files on a usb key...
Gaétan
Musique Progressive Dynamique
Site consacré au métal progressif, au néo-prog et au hard rock
http://www.musiqueprog.net

Hearing Aid Man

Postby Hearing Aid Man » Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:26 pm

I believe the guys @ Dream Disc were Brent & Brian? They knew I liked the more progressive metal stuff and they would say this one is your bag - the vocals do not start until about 3 minutes into the songs and all the tunes are 8 minutes+. I think you'll dig it.

I never got into the Carisma - 1825 CD as much as some around here. I thought it was good, but like Larry good normally gets weeded out of a large collection :P. If I remember correctly I traded the CD to someone here.

elendil

Postby elendil » Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:32 pm

I remember when that disc was a big deal on these boards, but at the time I was a poor college student and had to prioritize purchases. Never got that one, or Payne's Gray, or some of the other stuff that looked "straight prog" to me. (At that time I was more into the Gothenburg scene.)

LarryD
Site Admin

Postby LarryD » Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:52 pm

elendil wrote:I remember when that disc was a big deal on these boards, but at the time I was a poor college student and had to prioritize purchases. Never got that one, or Payne's Gray, or some of the other stuff that looked "straight prog" to me. (At that time I was more into the Gothenburg scene.)

***Get the 1825 now bro ... it's on Amazon for $8.99 (mp3). It's worth it just for the walk down memory lane. If you don't like it - no harm. In the prog world, normally, this disc is essential - but not because it's better than anything else out there - it just shines for what it is.

LarryD
Site Admin

Postby LarryD » Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:55 pm

Hearing Aid Man wrote:I believe the guys @ Dream Disc were Brent & Brian? They knew I liked the more progressive metal stuff and they would say this one is your bag - the vocals do not start until about 3 minutes into the songs and all the tunes are 8 minutes+. I think you'll dig it.

I never got into the Carisma - 1825 CD as much as some around here. I thought it was good, but like Larry good normally gets weeded out of a large collection :P. If I remember correctly I traded the CD to someone here.

*** Right on !!! It was Brent I talked to constantly before I met Ken ..... he told me everything sounded like Queensryche .... hehehehe ..... thats how I got into Vanden Plas. "Larry - ever hear of Vanden Plas ? Nope - you NEED this, sounds just like Queensryche". He was referring to Colour Temple of course, and the rest is history.

Paul - I don't remember that far back, but I always thought you were in on 1825 from the start ? You traded it .... ugh. It pains me to read that ...... :wink:

LarryD
Site Admin

Postby LarryD » Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:02 pm

Great post, and a great album! Good shout out on the Ricochet album as well...... My recollection was that it had more of a Superior vibe to it (Cincinnati Road rules!).

***Thanks Jay -- yes, Ricochet had that Superior vibe which caught me right away. Lots thought it was pretty cheesy, but I didn't care......and C-Road doeth rule mightily. Amazon recommended the Ricochet after my search of Carisma ..... two different beasts, but maybe the concept thing was what they were referring to ? Each rules me to this day.

Have you ever had problems before taking discs in the car? The only ones I am more sensitive about are the digi-packs that I cannot easily replace, as I have found that extreme temps can cause the glue to fail on them..... Or if I drop it in a snowbank or something. Worst I've ever had otherwise were a broken jewel case or two, easily replaced....

***Funny you ask -- once, and only once - I took Superior / Ultima Ratio in the car with me .... in the summer..with the digipak. It melted and I had to re-buy the disc just to get the artwork back. I never take the CD booklet and / or casing with me - I have blanks that I put the disc itself in .......but, I do notice that sometimes when I remove the disc from the player, it does have some markings on it - nothing severe, but I don't like the look of them on my favorite discs ......especially when it is so hard to replace something like the Carisma disc. I do know people here that make CD-R copies of their discs and take them out on the road ...... but, right now here it's about ZERO degrees, and believe it or not, while I'm in work, I think about the disc outside in the freezing temps......it's in the player, but I'm thinking what a putz I was for taking it out in the first place .... I never do that.

elendil

Postby elendil » Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:23 pm

LarryD wrote:
elendil wrote:I remember when that disc was a big deal on these boards, but at the time I was a poor college student and had to prioritize purchases. Never got that one, or Payne's Gray, or some of the other stuff that looked "straight prog" to me. (At that time I was more into the Gothenburg scene.)

***Get the 1825 now bro ... it's on Amazon for $8.99 (mp3). It's worth it just for the walk down memory lane. If you don't like it - no harm. In the prog world, normally, this disc is essential - but not because it's better than anything else out there - it just shines for what it is.

Done. :D We'll see if it holds any nostalgia value for me. I do think that was a particularly fertile time for metal.

LarryD
Site Admin

Postby LarryD » Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:19 pm

Done. :D We'll see if it holds any nostalgia value for me. I do think that was a particularly fertile time for metal.

*** Awesome !!!! Looking forward to your thoughts - good or bad ........try to forget that this was made in 1995, and the production is weird, for lack of a better term.

Omar

Postby Omar » Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:42 pm

I love 1825 as well. I can't remember if I got it from Dream Disc or Laser's, it was so long ago.
For comparison I heard this band called 'Day Six', there is a song called 'Lost Identity'. When I First heard it, Carisma was the first band that came to mind.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QuzCuVLulI

Scott B

Postby Scott B » Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:48 am

Carisma 1825 is one of those discs that has not aged at all with me. I love it as much now as I did when I first came across it 20 something years ago. I think I may actually have two copies in the archive. I remember finding one of them in the 99 cent bargain bin, the same bin that yielded me three copies of Lord Bane Age of Elegance. The Richocher album is also tasty. I forget which vendor I got that from, but it was extremely cheap. I'm listening to that Day Six that Omar referenced and it is now on my radar as well.

Sparky

Postby Sparky » Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:57 am

I played it recently after it came up here. Totally agree with everything Larry said. I BLOWS MY MIND that guys who were 'meh' on the whole thing created this. It's probably a small miracle that it ever saw the light of day.
I'll be the judge of what's good and what isn't, thank you... ;)

ToddS
Site Admin

Postby ToddS » Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:31 pm

Been revisiting a few older releases. Will add this one to the list as well.
"My songs become my freedom, and my freedom turns to gold"

Return to “PM: Core”