My Top 10+ of 2017

The Heart of the Prog/Power Movement

Moderators: TROY or maybe DEBBIE, Stevie WOnder, Digital Man

ToddS
Site Admin

My Top 10+ of 2017

Postby ToddS » Fri Dec 29, 2017 2:23 pm

My top 10 2017

My top 4 are extremely close. Honestly they could be 1a, b, c & d. :)
I flipped them around several times over, and just I stopped here. Ask me next month and they could different.

I went with DSO as my #1 as it has been too damn long, and it just makes me feel so damn good when I spin it. And spin it I have. At least 20 times since release day.

1. Diablo Swing Orchestrata / Pacifisticuffs
After getting used to the new vocalist, I'm all in on this one. They make me groove, laugh, and wanna shake my ass like no other band I know. Full on DSO fun abounds!

2. Caligular's Horse / In Contact
This is really 1b for me.Their best yet! The super tight riffing (kudos to the rhythm section) makes me want to run through a brick wall! Stellar vocals, and the guitar work is to die for as usual too. Intensely beautiful!

3. Need / Hegaiamas: a Song For Freedom
What a killer follow up to Orvam! Intense and passionate. Still hear a nod to Fates, and Nevermore as they continue to grow into their own sound. Can't wait to hear the growth on their next one. Getting to see them live gain this year was a treat.

4. Daydream XI / The Circus Of The Tattered And Torn
This came out of nowhere and blew a lot of us away! Great show at PP too! Enough has been said, but this concept record is a killer!

5. Nova Collective / The Further Side
Stellar prog fusion! I would expect nothing less from these incredible musicians. Buy or die for heavy fusion fans.

6 Cydemind / Erosion
Prog rock/metal with a violin as the lead instrument. Certainly Kansas is an influence. Beautiful prog goodness!

7. Tetrafusion / Dreaming of Sleep
They continue to morph the more classic prog metal style, into a somewhat more modern prog-metal fusion thing. Great chops, creative, and quite melodic actually.

8. Voyager / Ghost Mile
It's Voyager, and it is another high quality release.

9. Ayreon / The Source
One of Arjen's best imo. Killer cast of vocalist, that bring quite passionate performances. Tommy K and Floor duet anyone? Some cool riffs and melodies. We know the formula. That hasn't change much, but somehow this one has a freshness to it.

10a. Vangough / Warpaint
Stripped down, dark, and passionate. It's all about raw emotion here. The PoS influence is still there, as is some Leprous, and even a touch of Opeth. This one took some time to get, but it finally clicked. Love the drumming on here.

10b. Fifth Density / Dominion of the Sun
A late one to my top 10. Yes I cheated, but i just had to squeeze it in. :) I'm hearing some Haken, Need, and (as someone recently mentioned to me) maybe some early Tesseract. It's all wrapped up in nice prog metal package. I could have placed this higher on the list if it weren't for the muddy production. Still very much worth checking them out on bandcamp, and taking a nice lil journey through this one.

Honorable Mentions

Adagio / Life
Black Country Communion / BCCIV
Communic / Where Echoes Gather
Epica / The Solace System
Intervals / The Way Forward
Jono / Life
Marty Friedman / Wall Of Sound
Odd Logic / Effigy
Pentakill / II: Grasp Of The Undying (Jorn if you are not going to do any more prog, then more heavy ass shit like this please).
Persefone / Aathma
Prospekt / The Illuminated
Soen / Lykaia
Sons Of Apollo / Psychotic Symphony
Sorcerer / The Crowning Of The Fire King
The Contortionist / Clairvoyant
Vuur / In This Moment We Are Free - Cities
Widek / Hidden Dimensions

Happy holidays everyone! Here is to a great 2018!
"My songs become my freedom, and my freedom turns to gold"

introclaus

Re: My Top 10+ of 2017

Postby introclaus » Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:26 pm

Nice list!!

I’ll have to check out Cydemind.
What’s that Pentakill disc?
Claus Jensen

LarryD
Site Admin

Postby LarryD » Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:18 pm

introclaus wrote:Nice list!!

*** Hey Uncle -- Cydemind is like an instrumental version of Kansas on steroids ...... awesome.

Pentakill is a power metal disc starring Jorn Lande -- here is the audio sample ............I don't think it's a band, it's a project.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-mT9D4 ... XXqmj0QI7Z

LarryD
Site Admin

Postby LarryD » Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:35 pm

***Good post bro ..................

1. Diablo Swing Orchestrata / Pacifisticuffs
After getting used to the new vocalist, I'm all in on this one. They make me groove, laugh, and wanna shake my ass like no other band I know. Full on DSO fun abounds!

***I know this band is your and Troy's thing ...... I don't know much about them, other than they kicked my ass at Prog Power........ but I do know I can't listen to them on disc..... but it's cool that a band like this can kick your ass and hit the #1 spot.

2. Caligular's Horse / In Contact
This is really 1b for me.Their best yet! The super tight riffing (kudos to the rhythm section) makes me want to run through a brick wall! Stellar vocals, and the guitar work is to die for as usual too. Intensely beautiful!

***I know you and Glenn crucify me over this band ..... but, for some reason, I keep hearing Arcane and instantly compare it to this ....... I tried Bloom, and just couldn't get thru it for some reason. I'll go back to this one more time, and see what happens.

3. Need / Hegaiamas: a Song For Freedom
What a killer follow up to Orvam! Intense and passionate. Still hear a nod to Fates, and Nevermore as they continue to grow into their own sound. Can't wait to hear the growth on their next one. Getting to see them live gain this year was a treat.

***Same as above. The weird thing is, they blew me away at Prog Power, but on disc I can't seem to get that same feeling. I know that happens to me with lots of bands, but this is one of them......

4. Daydream XI / The Circus Of The Tattered And Torn
This came out of nowhere and blew a lot of us away! Great show at PP too! Enough has been said, but this concept record is a killer!

***Yep - and this was set to be my #1 from the day I got it - until the Sorcerer disc hit me like a ton of bricks...... still, that DSO disc must be special to top this one for you.......

5. Nova Collective / The Further Side
Stellar prog fusion! I would expect nothing less from these incredible musicians. Buy or die for heavy fusion fans.

***Never heard - but I doubt it's my thing ............

6 Cydemind / Erosion
Prog rock/metal with a violin as the lead instrument. Certainly Kansas is an influence. Beautiful prog goodness!

***Probably the best instrumental I heard all year ......... that violin gets me every time................

7. Tetrafusion / Dreaming of Sleep
They continue to morph the more classic prog metal style, into a somewhat more modern prog-metal fusion thing. Great chops, creative, and quite melodic actually.

***I know you played this for me at your house --- and I'm pretty sure I liked it .............there is probably only room for 1 instrumental on my list ......but I'm always open to awesome instrumentals .......

8. Voyager / Ghost Mile
It's Voyager, and it is another high quality release.

*** Ditto.

9. Ayreon / The Source
One of Arjen's best imo. Killer cast of vocalist, that bring quite passionate performances. Tommy K and Floor duet anyone? Some cool riffs and melodies. We know the formula. That hasn't change much, but somehow this one has a freshness to it.

***It's excellent - but after so many plays, I found that I didn't keep on going back to it ............ weird, but I keep finding fault with it rather than focusing on how good it is .....

10a. Vangough / Warpaint
Stripped down, dark, and passionate. It's all about raw emotion here. The PoS influence is still there, as is some Leprous, and even a touch of Opeth. This one took some time to get, but it finally clicked. Love the drumming on here.

***You might be the only one who puts this one on a top list ..........thumbs up to you bro ..... to me, this is their worst to date. Each one goes down a notch in enjoyment quality. I'm in agreement with those who said it's getting too much like Leprous and the warmth and emotion is missing............

10b. Fifth Density / Dominion of the Sun
A late one to my top 10. Yes I cheated, but i just had to squeeze it in. :) I'm hearing some Haken, Need, and (as someone recently mentioned to me) maybe some early Tesseract. It's all wrapped up in nice prog metal package. I could have placed this higher on the list if it weren't for the muddy production. Still very much worth checking them out on bandcamp, and taking a nice lil journey through this one.

***This was cool indeed - but in the end, the vocals killed it for me to keep coming back to it ..............

Nice list bro !!!!!

Man Of Much Metal

Postby Man Of Much Metal » Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:37 pm

Looking at all these lists, I'm beginning to think that I must have missed something with Daydream XI...it is very good, better than good in places but I just wasn't sold enough for it to break into my top 30. I think I wanted more in the melody department, or at least for the melodies to speak to me more powerfully than they do. That said, it got stronger the more I listened, so maybe I need to give it more time. Who knows.

And I still haven't listened to Need. It's the drawback of being a one-man website, I have no time anymore!
Matt
The Man of Much Metal
The Blog Of Much Metal: http://manofmuchmetal.wordpress.com/

Digital Man

Postby Digital Man » Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:06 am

Man Of Much Metal wrote:Looking at all these lists, I'm beginning to think that I must have missed something with Daydream XI...it is very good, better than good in places but I just wasn't sold enough for it to break into my top 30. I think I wanted more in the melody department, or at least for the melodies to speak to me more powerfully than they do. That said, it got stronger the more I listened, so maybe I need to give it more time. Who knows.

That's one of the things I like about reading all these top lists. I had the same reaction to Daydream XI. I thought it was OK, but I didn't get the love for it that everyone else seems to have. When I see disks like this on so many other people's lists, that tells me I need to go spend more time with it to see if it will click.
Güy

ToddS
Site Admin

Postby ToddS » Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:50 am

introclaus wrote:Nice list!!

Hey Claus, sorry for the delayed response. Larry covered it, but here are some links.

Cydemind
https://cydemind.bandcamp.com/track/erosion

Pentakill
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ASxLLTu1ZY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJRLhRhcfgs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VO1aUkF5Kbc

Actually the Pentakill is free to download here
http://pentakill.leagueoflegends.com/en_US/#s/download

ToddS
Site Admin

Postby ToddS » Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:57 am

Digital Man wrote:
Man Of Much Metal wrote:Looking at all these lists, I'm beginning to think that I must have missed something with Daydream XI...it is very good, better than good in places but I just wasn't sold enough for it to break into my top 30. I think I wanted more in the melody department, or at least for the melodies to speak to me more powerfully than they do. That said, it got stronger the more I listened, so maybe I need to give it more time. Who knows.

That's one of the things I like about reading all these top lists. I had the same reaction to Daydream XI. I thought it was OK, but I didn't get the love for it that everyone else seems to have. When I see disks like this on so many other people's lists, that tells me I need to go spend more time with it to see if it will click.

This happens to all of us I think. The Threshold is like that for me this year. They never make a bad record really, but I guess I wanted/expected something different this time. I do plan on a revisit.

As far as Daydream, there is quite a lot going on in here, and it is a long one. It would be worth a revisit I think. Though sometimes we just can't make the connection.
Time is also a big factor for me. I have cut back quite a lot on music this year actually. Still play catch up.

ToddS
Site Admin

Postby ToddS » Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:08 pm

Hey Larry - Tetrafusion has vocals throughout. They were an instrumental band early on though. You may be mixing them up with Intervals. We played both.

Man Of Much Metal

Postby Man Of Much Metal » Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:22 pm

Digital Man wrote:

Me too - I like compiling my list but I equally enjoy reading those of others - I always find something new to enjoy!
Matt

The Man of Much Metal

The Blog Of Much Metal: http://manofmuchmetal.wordpress.com/

Return to “PM: Core”